Which is the better work and why

Which is the better work and why

Attached: Screenshot_20190504_220236.jpg (2712x2560, 561K)

Other urls found in this thread:

online-literature.com/tolstoy/2896/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

War and Peace is better because it's immersive and romantic. AK is like a robot writing a novel, everything is technically perfect but I don't care and it's soulless

>everything is technically perfect
>soulless

Both are good.

War and Peace’s lows make the highs higher by contrast

Anna Karenina is all good all the time

Tolstoy himself said AK is his best work so there you go.

they're both great
anna karenina did it more for me
the levin and kitty stuff was top tier

also i loved the cucked husband. he was so beautifully drawn. he went from a completely dry cartoon villain to a fully fleshed human being

>War and Peace’s lows make the highs higher by contrast
Good observation

Felt the same about Anna’s husband.

For me War and Peace is superior, but both are great.

War and Peace lays bare nations
Anna Karenina lays bare people
both great, but the second is superior in every way

Why would you say that War and Peace doesn’t lay bare people? It has great characters and psychological analysis just as Anna Karenina.

Bolkonsky’s arch > Anna Karenina > War and Peace

It just focuses more on the forces of history and the movements of the masses. There are certainly great psychological elements to W&P - characters are arguably Tolstoy's greatest strength - but it's not the main focus of the book, and it isn't explored as deeply as in AK.

What are Tolstoy's best short stories?
I don't have it in me to read thousands of pages.

Death of Ivan Ilyich is goat

the Three hermits
online-literature.com/tolstoy/2896/

Levin mowing grass is probably the most comfortable I've ever been while reading.

He has a bunch of good ones, I don't think you can go wrong. The Forged Coupon and The Raid are probably my favorite.

it focuses on a different aspect of human experience though. like in the scene with pierre hanging out with the artillery guys. i think AK is more emotionally involving because its focus is more domestic/mundane, but W&P is also primarily about human emotion, but in the context of great events

Kreutzer Sonata and Hadji Murad

based retard

Master and man