Serious question: why don't buddhists just kill themselves?

Serious question: why don't buddhists just kill themselves?

Think about it, you have come to accept that life equals meaningless suffering, and yet you choose to continue suffering by living when you know you could just end your life. Even if you are at an enlightened state, why do they go through the monotony and torture of being alive?

I assume at least some of them don't believe in any sort of reincarnation, and even if they did, what's the harm in trying self-destruction?

Take this extremely rare and fresh Siddhartha Apu as recompense for reading my post.

Attached: Apudhartha.png (715x900, 1.25M)

Why kill yourself when you can overcome suffering through the eightfold path?

Did you stop 3/4 of the way through the Four Noble Truths?

Well, it would undoubtedly inflict unnecessary pain upon someone

It teaches you can be free from suffering. If that's the case then why commit suicide?

Why normal people don't commit it either? They will lose everything with death anyway.

This is what I don't get. How do you wake up in the morning, go through that routine, take your commute to work, actually go to work, and so on, for decades without some belief in an afterlife or something. Idk. Really just seems like NPCs have no need for thought and just do shit

Pain and suffering are not the same thing.

Because suicide's just another option in the game.

I see your point, I suppose I meant moreso for those trying to get to that level of enlightenment. Why spend years and years trying to reach a state of non-suffering when you could just die?

If someone left to a monastery, never to see their loved ones again in pursuit of enlightenment, then the difference is negligible, no?

Explain.

If you don't reach the state, you just get shuffled back into the deck retard

Suicide doesn't free you of Samsara. Also if you don't believe in any sort of reincarnation you're not a Buddhist.

Because life becomes actually meaningful in the enlightened state. To just die would be pointless.

>Think about it, you have come to accept that life equals meaningless suffering, and yet you choose to continue suffering by living when you know you could just end your life. Even if you are at an enlightened state, why do they go through the monotony and torture of being alive?

this is NOT Buddhism, this is some shit that can to be through the Hinayana, which itself is probably one of the least authentic forms of original Buddhism.

Something like rebirth is true, but it is more in the manner of Jacob's Ladder. That is, endless false awakenings, something like that.

endless false awakenings that end in tragedy due to attachments until pairinirvana*

>Serious question: why don't buddhists just kill themselves?
Try at least reading the Wikipedia page of the subject at hand before asking stupid questions, tardo.

this, op is a faggot

The worst thread on this shithole right now, congratulations

I read 3/4 of Siddhartha and couldn’t read any more because this question bothered me so much. Why isn’t that enough?

I highly, highly doubt that.

Don't read Hesse as a manual for Buddhism, I'm begging you. It's a novel. If you want to understand Buddhism read the Shobogenzo or something

>Reads Siddhartha
>Thinks he knows something about buddhism

You are very special.

(You)

Attached: 1491111058045.png (1039x559, 261K)

>I haven't studied Buddhism past the picture books: The Post
bravo OP, you definitively proved your intelligence today

>picture books
And what's wrong with high-quality pictures? They are undefiled, pure, and in identity with Ohrmazd. You need to cleanse your soul with picture books.

Attached: fritz baumgarten (2).jpg (922x813, 135K)

>high-quality pictures
high-quality picture books*
I apologize for my typo.

The self is an illusion. Once you fully realize this then there is no self to kill.

>Rare Zorasterpost

Buddhists don't kill themselves because it would fix nothing, they'd just be reborn, probably in a lower realm considering the unwholesome mental state required to kill oneself.
They don't kill themselves when enlightened because Nirvana isn't something only achievable after death, the full extent of Nirvana is realized here & now. It's a common mistake to think that Nirvana is only truly realized after the death of an Arahant, but this is not the case. To an Arahant, even the worst pains of the reminder of their life are no problem.

*it's also worth mentioning that Buddhists consider human life to be very precious because it has the most potential for enlightenment (the other realms have minimal potential). To throw away a human life would be a total waste of the most precious realm of birth. Again, since death solves nothing in Buddhism, suicide would be counter-productive in ending suffering:
>"Monks, suppose that this great earth were totally covered with water, and a man were to toss a yoke with a single hole there. A wind from the east would push it west, a wind from the west would push it east. A wind from the north would push it south, a wind from the south would push it north. And suppose a blind sea-turtle were there. It would come to the surface once every one hundred years. Now what do you think: would that blind sea-turtle, coming to the surface once every one hundred years, stick his neck into the yoke with a single hole?"

>"It would be a sheer coincidence, lord, that the blind sea-turtle, coming to the surface once every one hundred years, would stick his neck into the yoke with a single hole."

"It's likewise a sheer coincidence that one obtains the human state. It's likewise a sheer coincidence that a Tathagata, worthy & rightly self-awakened, arises in the world. It's likewise a sheer coincidence that a doctrine & discipline expounded by a Tathagata appears in the world. Now, this human state has been obtained. A Tathagata, worthy & rightly self-awakened, has arisen in the world. A doctrine & discipline expounded by a Tathagata appears in the world.

>"Therefore your duty is the contemplation, 'This is stress... This is the origination of stress... This is the cessation of stress.' Your duty is the contemplation, 'This is the path of practice leading to the cessation of stress.'"
- SN 56.48

>Serious question: why don't buddhists just kill themselves?

Negative karma.

It's part of our nature. There are tons of systems within ourselves that compels us to do this. Don't go thinking you are in control of your body, actions and thoughts.

I know it’s not a manual, I didn’t know that he would be that far off the mark for even the broadest tenets of Buddhism.

Mean.

How to get into Mahayana?

It's German idealist fanfiction about alternate universe Buddha. It's a pleasant book and it's extremely short, so I have to assume that you're a brainlet if you couldn't finish reading it.

what you just described isn't buddhism, it's the western misconception of buddhism

that's just another reduction.

Idk why members of all religions dont just kill themselves it is the only way to salvation

at least it's a correct one

Attached: buddhism chart.jpg (2712x5224, 3.67M)

It would inflict unnecessary pain as well as create an admission of of inability to deal with life’s troubles. A submission to the ultimate sin of death instead of Brahman.

>Buddhism
>"Brahman"

Attached: almonds.png (640x640, 111K)

Brahman and Nirvana are more or less interchangable, all of the descriptions of Nirvana in the PC are almost word-for-word the same as the descriptions of Brahman in the Upanishads (and even just the pre-Buddhist Upanishads). The major differences are that the Hindus accept Brahman as the efficient cause of the universe (or more specifically, that the universe is a false appearence of which Brahman is the substratum of) while Buddha didn't have any explanation for why samsara or dependent-origination exists (certain later Buddhist schools would indeed try to connect their conception of the Absolute as somehow being the cause of relative existence however); and also that the Hindus largely accept Brahman as the inner Self of all beings (which many Buddhist schools also ended up reaching a similar conclusion to via them coming up with a half-dozen or so competing interpretations about a tathagatagarbha, Buddha-nature, the Buddha-matrix etc which is inside all living beings/everything)

I'd like to see some examples of Nirvana being described in the same way as the Hindu Brahman, in the Pali Canon.

Post some quotes of Buddha describing Nirvana in the PC and I will reply to your post with quotes from the Upanishads describing Brahman the same way as whatever sutta you post

"By whom was this image wrought,
Who is the maker of this image,
Where has this image arisen,
And where does the image cease?"
"Neither self-wrought is this image,
Nor yet other-wrought is this misery,
By reason of a cause, it came to be,
By breaking up the cause, it ceases to be.
Just as in the case of a certain seed,
Which when sown on the field would feed
On the taste of the earth and moisture,
And by these two would grow.
Even so, all these aggregates
Elements and bases six,
By reason of a cause have come to be,
By breaking up the cause will cease to be."
- Sagātha Vagga

'Whatever past karma there was,
all that is exhausted,
there is no new karma to
bring about any existence,
detached in mind
as regards future existence,
they whose seed (of
consciousness) is destroyed and desire does not
sprout forth,
those wise ones get
extinguished like this lamp.
- Snp 2.1

"That monk who sees no essence in existence,
Like one seeking flowers in Udumbara trees,
Will give up the hither as well as the thither,
Like the snake its slough that doth wither".
- Snp 1.1

Enlightened as he is, the Fortunate One preaches
the Dhamma for enlightenment
Tamed as he is, the Fortunate One preaches
the Dhamma for taming
Calm as he is, the Fortunate One preaches
the Dhamma for calming
Crossed over as he is, the Fortunate One preaches
the Dhamma for crossing over
Perfectly extinguished as he is, the Fortunate One
preaches the Dhamma for perfect extinguishment
- DN 25

“This is peaceful, this is excellent, namely, the stilling
of all preparations, the relinquishment of all assets,
the destruction of craving, detachment, cessation,
extinction.”
- AN 4 34

"Like the flame thrown out by the force of the wind
Reaches its end, it cannot be reckoned."
- Snp 5.6

"This anguished world, fully given to contact,
Speaks of a disease as self.
In whatever terms it conceives of,
Even thereby it turns otherwise.
The world, attached to becoming,Given fully to becoming,
Though becoming otherwise, Yet delights in becoming.
What it delights in is a fear
What it fears from is a suffering.
But then this holy life is lived for the abandoning of that very becoming."
- Ud 3

"This world, Kaccāyana, for the most part,
bases its views on two things: on existence and non-existence. Now,
Kaccāyana, to one who with right wisdom sees the arising of the
world as it is, the view of non-existence regarding the world does not
occur. And to one who with right wisdom sees the cessation of the
world as it really is, the view of existence regarding the world does
not occur."
- Nidāna Vagga

You are not supposed to harm living beings, including yourself.

Attached: pepe kek navakavada-1.jpg (872x1024, 215K)

I'm going to bed because it's really late here, but if the thread is still up in the morning I will post the quotes

Attached: buddhism_irl_2.png (2000x1000, 2.57M)

bump
looking forward to seeing this

They have a cope which says that *this* existence is the ideal plane to practice The Practice.

Lower realms are too tormented, higher realms too partyhard.

>Never see their loved ones.

In buddhist thought this is Attachment, one of the preconditiins of suffering. Getting rid of attachment is considered a plus so you can be wholeheartedly devoted to Practice.

buddhism teaches you how to escape the cycle of reincarnation, while killing yourself would just send you back here. at least bother reading a wikipedia page before you make stupid threads that shit up the board

>Read 3/4th of suddartha

You idiot. Read the core text. Hesse's is an artistic expression that uses free license. How are you ever going to get what the basic doctrine of IRL buddhism is? This is like reading fanfic without doing the original material first. You miss all the refs, all the nuanced reinventions, arrested flaws.

Are you really investigating ideas or just trying to win some kind of Yea Forums bingo?

I'm almost certain the post you replied to was bait

I think what the OP is really trying to ask is: what's the difference between suicide and nirvana, in the end? Isn't nirvana just the suicide you don't come back from?

That's definitely not what he's asking but your question seems to be similar to the common "how is Nirvana not just annihilation?"
The answer is that Nirvana is fully realized in life by the Arahant. You don't have to wait til death after enlightenment for "full Nirvana," it can be realized to its full extent in this very life. This would make it clear that it is not just "death without waking up" because it is something apart from death, realizable in life.

Bump, curious to see how Nirvana is just Brahma after all

what are the anime parts supposed to mean?

bump again
hope you're still here to help

you retards coudent tell what buddhism is if it came out your ass, the buddhism all you twats refer to comes from the Hīnayāna which is the shitty retarded version of the original doctrines compared with the Mahāyāna which stays way truer to the doctrines. You all are fascinated with a buddhism that is most likely the farthest and least familiar with any eastern doctrines aka not buddhism but some shit Westerners love to praise. As a student studying Traditionalism but more so the orientals i can't help but cringe everytime I see you discuss "Buddhism" its more so some-shit the Westerners took in and adapted to their imagination. You guys some chart (like pic-related) and become a Eastern monk and maybe even understand Buddhism itself? gtfo, read guenon's first book so you can get rid of your western prejudices

Nice pasta.