How to get into

How to get into Spiritualism, Occultism, mysticism?

Attached: Download (12).jpg (275x183, 11K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ia902509.us.archive.org/18/items/pdfy-lBasIMfuA724PVLO/Frithjof Schuon - The Transcendent Unity of Religions.pdf
hermetic.com/spare/index
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Don't. Time is limited and there is so much more than what you could possible ever read.

This. Not to mention your immortal soul.

start with the Hindus

but so many intellectuelles were into mysticism and shit

They also avoided bathing.

They also believed that bees were born from black people's sweat.

What kind of approach do you want to take to this? Do you want to LARP as a Medieval sorcerer? Are you curious? Are you just a dabbler? Are you looking at it from a psychological perspective? Are you looking at it from a philosophical perspective? Are you inclined towards any religion or point of view?

Start with Rene guenon, he talks a lot about western esoterism, not just Hinduism and Islam. He can help you filter out the rubbish from the good stuff in the western occult traditons. Then read the main texts from the Hindu schools and about jnana yoga and yogic meditation.

Start with the Daodejing. There are a lot of fundamental ideas that the really serious occultists get into that are best explained there. Then read some Zhuangzi, then go west and try some of Crowley. Spiritualism kind of blows desu. The really interesting parts of the esoterica aren't the ones that claim to give you spiritual powers but are the ones that only give you instructions on how to alter your mental state. Crowley seems like he's in the first group, but he's actually in the second. If you read Magick: Theory and Practice closely you can tell that he understands that these entities he's manipulating aren't actually real in the usual sense of that word, but that doesn't really matter to him because he doesn't need them to be.

>Time is limited
he posted on 4channel

>Helping people to escape the hell where they are stuck.

i just want to widen my horizont
and look if there are secrets the average person doesnt know but should know

and i want to prepare my soul

Just read some Guenon and Jung then. If you're interested in the subject then more books of that nature will naturally come to you.

Read MP Hall, Blavatsky, Regardie, Agrippa, Barrett. For the most part surface level

You read René Guenon. Just like this user said.
Although, René Guenon is difficult because he really does write about all this in a very mathematical language free of the usual mystical/emotional bullshit.
I'd advise reading Fritjof Schuon and especially this book ia902509.us.archive.org/18/items/pdfy-lBasIMfuA724PVLO/Frithjof Schuon - The Transcendent Unity of Religions.pdf (that guenon Approved) to understand the main point of perrenialism

>Blavastky
New age/theosophy junk. It's not surface level, it's blatant misunformation that end up creating damaged /x/ types.

Avoid anything related to ape of thoth/thelema and the other trannies from /x/

t. nwo shill

Crowley's actual stuff isn't bad, you just have to understand that he himself only considers "magic" as mind games designed to put you in an altered state

Gravity's Rainbow

Start with "The Hermetic Tradition" by Julius Evola

1/2

Attached: 476CCBCF-BD53-4D82-A62A-4090F34D2D32.jpg (400x1400, 164K)

this made me chuckle

Let him read the corpus first. Evola has too many axes to grind

2/2

Attached: CC2063B7-5FE1-46EA-A7F3-E4C00AD9970D.jpg (600x2100, 300K)

Crowley was an intelligence agent. All true mystics are. So was Evola. And Jung. Cosmopolitanism implies syncretism and powerful forces desire the acceleration of such conditions to their logical conclusions.

Start with Manly P. Hall and G.R.S. Mead

This is a fresh-smelling conspiracy theory. I'm intrigued

Hey guys, what are your opinions on this chart?Is there something i should discard out of this?

Frankly, if I were you I would skip the introductions and jump straight into the primary sources. I would also add that Tishby's Zohar is very readable. I don't know which one is in the pic but it doesn't look like Tishby

See

Time is overrated. It comes and goes in a way.

Give us more crumbs.

Just unify mysticism with modern philosophy

The image wasn't sent, here it is.

Attached: western occultism.jpg (780x1200, 267K)

Actual occult knowledge cannot be taught through books -any material on the matter is just nonsense or LARP. If you want to engage with the esoteric, spend the majority of your time in practice and not useless study.

Chartmaker here.

Golden Chain and Golden Thread are very simple and introductory. Golden Chain is also made redundant by primary sources in second chart. Western esotericism for the perplexed is intro too but thoroughly scholarly. Faivrr and Clarke round out the intro to the scholarly field but may be redundant too. Dictionary is expensive as all hell but well worth it if interested in classical and post-classical esotericism tho it does lack for some articles. First chart, however, is not all intro as claimed and in fact has some excellent secondary sources. The books on various topics have a lot of contextualizations and notes that will enrich reading of primary sources. Modern Occult Rhetoric is a personal fave of mine as a liberal arts student but may be a bit pretentious. Occult Traditions and Alchemical Traditions are good but presume prior knowledge -- the latter is expensive to buy used but supposedly is coming out in a new edition soon.

As far as the second chart goes, I now prefer the Copenhaver hermetica and I read the midrash and zohar online and know not the best copies. Just got pictures that looked good.

>feels>reals
Sign of a dumb occultist. Theory and practice are both necessary.

That's an exaggeration and a lie.

I would disregard everything. All these writters are either (dark) magicians and irregular """initiates""" such as Gurdjeff, Steiner, Blavatsky, Bardon or psychologist like Jung. In all these cases, they doesn't know the genuine difference between the psychic and spiritual realm and/or they subvert their doctrines with some weird syncretism.
Evola is the only one worth a shit here but even then he is not the best since he mixes genuine tradition with his own individualism.

As many people have said : René guenon is the way to go.
Most of the time, people who want to get into "occultism/esoterism" have simply played too much video games and they want to create cool magic tricks and Larp about being in full metal alchemist or some shit.

Genuine initiation (or even mysticism) have nothing to do with this dark parodies. It involves understand religion on a deeper level and slowly purifying your soul until your inner self... which is not separate from God/the whole/Brahman awakes.

>they doesn't know
opinion discarded

Prometheus Rising -- new age psychedelic hippie schlock (smoke weed for magic powers!)
Manly P. Hall -- wishful lies and half-truths from a Mason (was once worth reading but is rather outdated now)
Kybalion -- Read real hermeticism (the corpus hermetica) instead of this new thought garbage
Roob -- art book would be nicer if bigger
Bardon -- bad physical science but supposedly legit
Duquette -- read Crowley instead
Regardie -- read Crowley instead
Agrippa -- dope
Blavatsky -- bullshit
Oupensky -- idiot
Jung -- overrated
Levi -- kinda fun but silly
Golden Dawn -- necessary for Crowley route
Dubous -- idk?
Red Book -- good
Gnostic shit -- fuck ya
Steiner -- cuck
Gurdjeff -- fraud
Crowley -- sick as fuck
Wang -- useful
Evola -- not bad
Fortune -- read real kabbalah

Got tired. But the rest aren't worth mentioning.

>Jung -- overrated
not an argument

start with virgil then read dante

Really? I got into Crowley straight from Zen and a little Kabbalah (small parts of Tishby's Zohar) and I'm doing ok. He explains things decently clearly.

Pretty much this.
If you want real Kabbalah study aryeh Kaplan and follow those breadcrumbs

Not him,

There’s deeper more technical aspects of thelema which require some knowledge of Golden Dawn to understand but ehh if you google around it should be fine.

I definitely recommend reading the golden dawn flying rolls at minimum

I'm french so my written english is not the best. Still only within english-speaking audience i have seen literal dark magicians such as Crowley get recommended.

I wonder if the people who dwell on /x/ have ever experienced anything genuine beyond some weird lucid dream or an "astral travel" if they got lucky. It's sad.

I'm not saying Golden Dawn is necessary immediately or beforehand to understand Crowley but it does shed a lot of light on his magical system. Or are you speaking of the ambiguity in calling him sick as fuck? I did that on purpose.

Discard the Quran, midrash and Zohar.

crowley is based, though, froggy.

Crowley was not a dark magician.

>Kybalion -- Read real hermeticism (the corpus hermetica) instead of this new thought garbage
Agreed, Kybalion is trash but it seems every beginner ends up reading it

All no good, however I believe gurdjieffs teaching was actual raja Yoga, modified to suit his audience. His books are not really any good though.

No he's absolutely sick as fuck
He invented the philosophy of chaos magic way before Liber Null but just didn't say it outright because that makes the self-deception trickier. Crowley is based as shit

Theory accounts for an infinitesimal amount of the actual practice (much like in martial arts or weightlifting, or something of the sort). More than that, whatever theory is actually valuable is not available to the public -I doubt it can even be accessed on this physical plane.
All these authors and all these religions haven't the slightest thing to do with the actually occult faculties latent in reality. They're occult only in the colloquial sense. But by all means, keep reading your books and keep LARPing.

Technically Golden Dawn invented it first (you think they didn't know they were making shit up?)

you haven't read gurdjieff, have you

>not realizing the theory is the practice
Laughingwitches.jpg

Theory exists in order to make practice more efficeient. You don't have to develop axiomatic planar non-metric geometry because Euclid already did it for you. For a mental discipline, theory is the backbone of practice
>Colloquial sense
As if the Dao isn't occult in every conceivable sense.

Not him but read Beelzebub's Tales and it was laughably childish.

Oh ok. Sometimes I really can't tell. I'm a total noob at the western stuff, so I wasn't sure. I thought Crowley was taking a bunch of bunkum and turning it into a useful tool. My bad

Crowley definitely improves on a lot. You read Spare and Carroll? Idk how I feel about Chumbley...

The guy influenced the worst occult sects of the XXth century and had a major influence on the subversive culture of the sex-revolution and the Tavistok instituite... Even fearmongering christians understands that.
I can get that these groups provide something of a little more substance that "God loves you :)" but they're at best watered-down knowledge from the renaissance or straight-up syncretism where they mix-up hindu doctrines with christianism in a proto edgy new age mix.
It's true that there's a common truth inherent to all religions but you cannot "find" it by mixing them just like mixing all colors together get you black mud instead of the pure white light they all come from.

The best way to judge about someone's spiritual worth is to see if they subscribe to a legit exotericism. If they feel like they're "too advanced not to have any religion" they're too prideful or didn't get it. Exotericism is the fundamental basis for all genuine spiritual progress. Jacob Bohme didn't stop practicing christianity, neither did Ibn Arabi for islam and the yogis didn't stop praying to "Shiva" or "Vishnu" even though they saw beyond the symbolism.

But it's clear most people here simply wants to have cool magic powers instead of a genuine desire to reach the spiritual world

Attached: the confusion of the psychic and the spiritual.png (400x490, 128K)

Only Crowley so far, and part of the Chemical Marriage of Christian Rosenkreutz. What would you recommend I go for next?

I can't imagine a book called Beelzebub's Tales not being childish.

If you like the wedding read the fame and the confessions. Are you reading Liber ABA by Crowley? That's his summa. Spare was a friend of Crowley's. Once. Then apparently he went to dark for the beast. Was a famous artist but took up the creation of a new philosophy and poverty and witchcraft instead. Read the Book of Pleasure at least but all his stuff is good. I particularly enjoy the zoetic grimoire and logomachy and anathema too. Link: hermetic.com/spare/index

Carroll is the originator of chaos magick proper. Liber Null & Psychonaut changed my life. But idk if I recommend such a hazardous route.

Agrippa and Levi are useful references. The old industry standards before Crowley. Dee is incredibly complicated but influential. Some secondary books on occultism and esotericism might be helpful. I posted the first two charts. Theosophical Society is bullshit imo and not in a cool chaos way but christian theosophy / sophiology is cool. And of course, ancient mysticism and magic is worth a looksie!

So far I'm only reading Theory and Practice. Like I said, noob.

Hazardous? Please, I cut my teeth on the Blue Cliff Record. Try beating your head against the diamond wall that is a book of 100 koans with commentary by an enlightened master (and the commentary is basically just more koans) and then you'll get some hazard in your life lol.

>Theory exists in order to make practice more efficeient.
A neophyte needs no more than a paragraph of explanation to get his practice going. Such a brief explanation is sufficient grounds for years of practice.
>As if the Dao isn't occult in every conceivable sense.
This is exactly what I'm talking about. I shit on the Dao, it's ancient chinaman LARP, it has nothing to do with the genuinely occult (much like every other religion). I'll say it again: the occult is actually hidden. It cannot be found in books, it has never been recorded. Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, whatever religion you can conceive of; nonsense. Crowley, Gurdjeff, Evola, whichever figure pops to mind when you hear the word occultism; all LARPers. It is difficult to conceive of, but all the things you know about are inherently exoteric.
You people have no idea. Go actually practice then you will come to understand for yourself.

Theory and Practice is part of Liber ABA (the best part really). It's also just a nice book physically. You're fine. Lol. Spare and Carroll are good. Then you can try Grant which is an experience in and of itself. Then look into Chumbley and Cultus Sabbati if you wanna know the cutting edge. It combines Grant, Crowley, Spare, and Carroll, with Abhinavagupta.

>It cannot be found it books, it has never been recorded

And we're back to the Dao lol

I know you said Agrippa, but is there any other alchemical stuff I should get into?

>quoting guenon
Top pleb. More mystics are heretics than orthodox.

There’s more material that’s more cutting edge it just isn’t too popular.

There’s groups synthesizing cultus sabbati for example with hawk and jackal/tesseract magic. And then there’s people unifying deeper philosophical strands with some of the above material.

>Mystics are the same thing as initiates
ok

Paracelsus? Hermetica? Arabic shit? Zosimos?

You have a myopic view of religion. Crowley was more religious than you. You simply think that your sect is better because you can name older texts and your god is more popular with exoteric plebs. Not a selling point IMO. Funny enough, this conversation reminds me of the gnostic hylic psychic distinction, you claim occultists are psychic. Idk. Gnosticism has more in common with occultism than traditionalism tho.

What are you an initiate of?

Specifically allegorical alchemical stuff. I know it isn't all mystical allegory but Paracelsus almost definitely is from what I've heard

Completely not what I'm referring to. This is exactly the kind of nonsense that happens when you spend all your time ''studying'' instead of practising.
Could be, but no group I've ever heard of has ever produced anything significant or in-line with actual genuine magical practice.

>I am the one true magician!!!
Gtfo schizo

Bohme? Swedenborg? Anthrosophia Theomagica?

Opinions on Transcendental Magic: It's Doctrine and Ritual?

How do you feel about the CCRU stuff?

I'm joking

In all seriousness though, you realize that these "occult faculties" are just the stirrings of sense impressions right? They're practically worthless. If it gets you off, go ahead and dunk your head into the mind of the transitory and look at all the pretty colors, but that won't keep the abyss away. The fact that you childishly hang on to multiplicity like this shows that you have no idea what the fuck you're talking about, and that's why you read theory.

Levi's a little weird / dumb but was pretty influential. You attempt Agrippa yet?

>I'm joking
>but your magic isn't magic
>my magic is the best
>the void isn't real if I just ignore it
>no, I don't feel a void inside that I project onto you when I call you a slave to it
Weak and painfully anti-intellectual

Crowley was all right, but his disciples were thick and ordinary. It's them twisting it that ruins it for me.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 77K)

Not him but I think its pretty based and redpilled.

>foxandsourgrapes.jpg

Occultism is all about sublimation/redirection of sexual energy. Waite was of the "sublimate" camp and Crowley was of the "swallow" camp. Knowing this will clear up many obscure points in their doctrines.
Pic related is a good underrated book on Gnostic Tantrism.

Attached: 51pUvoQ2%2BqL._SX333_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (335x499, 31K)

>Zosimos
Theosebeia is cute!

Attached: zosimos-and-theosebeia-2.jpg (464x605, 291K)

>In all seriousness though, you realize that these "occult faculties" are just the stirrings of sense impressions right?
This is precisely what I'm talking about. This LARP, physicalist, play pretend display, where the occult is just a more aesthetically exotic form of philosophy is not the actual occult. Magic -meaning the ability to cause tangible change in the physical world using supramundane means- is as tangible as lifting weights, or playing the piano; it's a skill like any other. But nobody knows about it, why? Because the documentation is almost non existent. There's no book telling you how to do it. Instead all esoteric books (which aren't esoteric at all in reality) lead you on with all sorts of nonsense that has nothing at all to do with the truth of the matter.
That's how you end up with people like you; you read a bunch of nonsense and in the end you haven't got a clue about things as they actually are. That's why you need to start practising and stop consuming nonsensical drivel.

Hey Sigmund, glad you could make it to the thread.

Any other insights for us pathetic neophytes?

So what should I start with?

>nonsensical drivel
Someone hasn't spent enough time barking at Zhaozhou's dog lol

>So what should I start with?
Not being a faggot.

I'm actually serious. I want to hear your opinion, all jokes aside

No, I'm pretty new to this subject. I've read some Crowley and some relevant writings from Aristotle. Right now I'm going through Western Esotericism: A Guide for the Complex to get a more holistic base for the topic.

What would you recommend from Agrippa?

*perplexed not complex

Listen, you have to have your own place that's very well put together and capable of suiting a lot of needs. You also have to obligate a very sizable portion of time and money into this. This is an important one, you have to be a person that can find women to have sex with fairly easily, as all of this inevitably leads to sex magic.

Ultimately you have to pursue this because you find it intrinsically interesting and worth doing for what fulfillment it gives you for your own sake. I've been practicing Eulis for years now personally.

Attached: Cabaret Dancer 1.jpg (450x672, 46K)

Also, know in your heart if you desire to be sexually submissive or have masochistic sexual fantasies, because if you do this isn't for you. This is ultimately all about psychological domination, and if you haven't already for your whole life engaged in fantasies of having power over others and haven't been trying to mentally control at least someone in your life, you probably aren't the type of person who could make any use of this.

Part of you has to be a deceiver and a manipulator

?????

No it doesn't. If anything, sex is like a bad joke compared to mysticism in terms of altering the mind state

Whats point of practicing something that isn't real?

Nah, sex is the source of our creative and spiritual energy, sex is the greatest power in nature.

I think you forgot the immense creative power we have to create life with it proves that.

It's a framework to essentially create a more personally fulfilling matrix of thought

The fact that you're bringing up power in nature is somewhat concerning.

I don't imagine that I'm fucking Zhaozhou when I meditate on the dog question. Sex has absolutely nothing to do with Dongshan's deadly world of no hot and no cold. These riddles require my full spiritual attention.

The sense of beauty and the sublime, which I find to be my greatest inspiration for creativity, is only sometimes sexual, but it certainly isn't when I experience the sublime power of nature in a thunderstorm.

Unless you're
and are taking it too seriously. Serious magicians are levitating shit, they're transforming their state of mind.

What you're describing is essentially spiritual prozac. Reaching heightened states of ecstasy in controlled settings through concoctions of drugs and high levels of sexual pleasure is where power and life are found

Three books of occult philosophy should be pored over carefully if you are interested.

Lol I don't know, ask some Falun Dafa practitioners about levitation

*aren't, my b

It is Zizek's greenpill, to see the reality of illusion.

Have you ever really chewed on a koan for a while? I mean hours, days at a time. It's not prozac I'll tell you that

If you want power and life, you can also just climb up the etz chaim. Look, I'm not saying your path is wrong, just that sex magic isn't the inevitable conclusion of practice

You're describing what a disciple or a worshiper does, I'm describing what a worshipful master does

Where's the mastery in being dragged back into the animal mind?

I have natural mastery over animals as man is the lord of the earth. The ritual sacrifice of animals is an expression of this. Animal nature isn't an enemy

You should first cultivate your faculty of concentration.
Start paying attention in daily life. Concentrate on whatever it is you're doing -don't indulge in mental rumination, when your mind wanders bring it back. You should do this throughout the day; brushing teeth, bathing, defecating, shitposting on Burmese image boards, etc. There's no such thing as an inferior activity, everything is an opportunity for practice.
Practice formally as well. There's enough resources on meditation, so I won't say anything else on the matter in this quick post.
Once you can consistently and at will enter a clear, sharp, wakeful state with no mental fluctuations, and enter a flow state (to use a colloquial term) during daily activities, you've 'mastered' this step. So far, you're not dealing with anything supramundane but this a prerequisite.
This is essentially the equivalent of lifting weights, you cultivate a certain raw strength. Why it works this way, I'm not exactly sure.
This alone can take a year or two, depending on your natural proclivities and effort put in.
At this point you can start practising astral projection, which is a whole thing in and of itself and beyond the scope of this post. Once again, another year or two can be expected to be spent on this stage. Once you've 'mastered' that, the real practice begins.
In the grand scheme of things I'm a novice myself but I've good reason to belief there exist people out there that have tapped into these faculties to an almost fantastical degree (think immortals and so forth).

I already do koan meditation and have done for a while (hence the thing about barking at the dog)

Who you recommend for techniques for astral projection?

>immortals
Schizo

Can you enter a state of mental silence at will? Is this something your koan practice will facilitate? If not you'll have to switch it up. The technique doesn't matter under the provision it gets you into the appropriate state; it's the state that matters. Which leads into your question:
>Who you recommend for techniques for astral projection?
If you master the perquisites, there's no particular technique to be employed. You simply go into the trance state (for lack of a better term) and then separate from your body. There's nothing to it. It's how to navigate the astral experience effectively which is the tricky part.
But, if I absolutely had to recommend a book, Robert Bruce has some alright material (although I don't care for the man).

Appreciated. I'll check it out.

What's your beef with Bruce?

>astral projection
And I stopped reading. Go back to

Initially he came out with a book or two filled with fundamentally solid information. Then as the years went by he started doing the whole internet marketer thing of 'buy my amazing course for only $499.99!'. He's also fat and bald which I'm naturally distrustful of, especially in someone who claims to be attuned to the occult (obesity is a good marker for bullshit occultism). But whatever the case may be, he probably has the best AP material out there (not that there's a lot of competition in regards to pragmatic fringe material), so it is what it is.

Ya. It is just OBE or WILD

Imagine actually being this much of a Redditor

>If they feel like they're "too advanced not to have any religion" they're too prideful or didn't get it. Exotericism is the fundamental basis for all genuine spiritual progress. Jacob Bohme didn't stop practicing christianity, neither did Ibn Arabi for islam and the yogis didn't stop praying to "Shiva" or "Vishnu" even though they saw beyond the symbolism.
So the yogis didn't get it?

>But it's clear most people here simply wants to have cool magic powers instead of a genuine desire to reach the spiritual world
I doubt you could even articulate what the spiritual world is. All of these posts read as massive larps that are at bottom massive concessions to monism (maybe even materialism) by retconning what people actually believed.

You are a stupid piece of shit.
Stop wasting your time with icchantikas.

Funny how the spiritual threads bring out so much ego

>the "swallow" camp
what's that?

this

Magic and spells are real and you shouldn't mess with it without good reason.

Do you think that whoever posted this was legit? I've never studied any of the stuff he mentions but it strikes me as possible

Attached: hegel astral projection.png (1266x1534, 201K)

>not wanting to mess with the gift the gods gave to us
Pathetic and christkike pilled

Gotta kill buddha to see buddha friendo

Cum, user.

Kant -> Freud/Jung -> Deleuze / Spinoza -> any generic chaos magik bullshit

In practicing right action; building your life with love, forgiveness, compassion, you will become closer to the Light. More will be revealed to you than you ever could have imagined.

Will you suspend your disbelief?

Attached: 7781-004-C237559D.jpg (180x276, 13K)

>You are a stupid piece of shit.
>icchantikas
Hello /his/ Zen Buddhist shitposter, funny seeing you on Yea Forums.
I hope you don't stay for long - usually the Buddhist threads here are very friendly and no one in them calls for violence, since they're aware of basic teachings like the first precept.

your faggotry is painfully magical