Memes and pseuds aside, what is Yea Forums's favorite Harry Potter book? Or the one that sucks the least if you will...

Memes and pseuds aside, what is Yea Forums's favorite Harry Potter book? Or the one that sucks the least if you will. Mine is pic related.

Attached: 9781781100523_p0_v3_s1200x630.jpg (393x630, 55K)

the prisoner of azkaban because it's the last one i finished.

The first because all the garbage and contradictions hasn't had too much time to settle in. Victory by default.

One of these, it's either the first or the third one.

The WORST of them is easily Order of the Phoenix, because Harry turns into the most annoying fucking shithead teenager and he stays that way for the entire enormous book.

Deathly Hallows because the abominable high school circlejerking stops

the first one was comfy but that's its only merit in my eyes. the goblet of fire was maybe the best written one and my favorite. the others are all typical YA drivel. i don't plan on reading the harry potter books again unless it's to my kids or something but i'm probably not gonna have kids

First four were the only good ones, then it started going downhill. Basically once the episodic adventure format run out, it all went to shit. JKR couldn't go beyond her self-contained story format, handle less juvenile themes, do consistent world-building, satisfying heroes and villains, or a believable conclusion. There was just so much cringe and unimaginative shit.

Having said that, I have no favorite book as I am physically incapable of reading YA books again. Maybe the 2nd or 3rd one.

I loved the Half Blood Prince best, but I haven't read them since high school. My taste may well have changed by now

Personally I think 7 is worse. The time in the woods just drags, in a way that no other section of any of the books does.

>awful ginny "monster in his chest" romance
>another badly written Hermione/Ron/Lavender(?) triangle
>incompetent protagonist struggling with everything, but somehow everybody else is even more incompetent and can't believe that Malfoy is involved in a plot
>surprise, surprise, everything goes to shit at the end, but somehow nobody other than the headmaster gets hurt

The romance was a big part of what I liked. I also read twilight in high school and very much enjoyed it.

Generally speaking, when you look back on it, Harry is a terribly unimpressive protagonist. He doesn't even really learn halfway-decent spells until the fourth fucking book. His one big trick is the Patronus, but by the time the fifth book is over everyone can do that. He never comes across as particularly smart.

I guess he does have courage, but that's not enough to make him impressive in my eyes.

I've been watching Columbo lately, and it's made me hanker for an hp book with a ravenclaw protag. Columbo has no ambition, no courage, and never shows particular loyalty, but he's very clever and that's most of what it takes to make him intriguing. I'd read Gaiman, but it always feels like he sucks off the idea of smart introverts a little too much.

The romance in Half-Blood Prince was awful. If Ginny and Harry were end game, Rowling should have had that develop over books 3-6 instead of having Ginny disappear for two books, have a reputation for being a slut in book five, and then suddenly have them become a thing in book 6.

That's kinda unfair, user. Not gonna say that it's the point of the whole series (even though Rowling sort of tried to make it seem like it's one of the most important themes with the prophecy-might-have-referred-to-Neville revelation), but Harry's never meant to be particularly impressive or smart. He became The One Who Lived purely thanks to his parents and blind luck, and it's acknowledged in-universe that the only thing he's really talented at is quidditch. Even Dumbledore calls him an average student at one point (in one of Snape's memories IIRC).

That doesn't make him a bad protagonist though, quite the opposite. Might seem like a clichéd lampshade nowadays, but back then it was an aspect I noticed even as a kid that genuinely made me like the books more.

The fourth one. The three before that were carbon copies and the three afterwards were trying too hard to be serious. The fourth one is the high point of the series and it heralds the beginning of the end.

the one where snape rapes hermione for being insufferable

>no pasta
Yea Forums confirmed worst board

sixth one because snape kills dumbdore and the voldy flashbacks

Order of Phoenix because could relate to teenage angst

you have to go back

post it

"No!"

the part where he kisses the chinese chick. came swimming pools

Where she's crying?

The prisoner of azkaban because its the only one that has a surprising end.

yea, I think that's right. Not that erotic in retrospect.

It astounds me that people on this board are willing to spend so many posts talking about the dullest franchise in the history of movie franchises. Seriously each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody, just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

Attached: bookshelf.jpg (1623x2886, 1.27M)

Tolkien, Twain, Carroll, Bronte shit tier. Kanye West middle tier, equivalent to Kafka, Joyce, and Sartre. All my WTF.

you dumb fucking retard that's a bait image lmao, you jsut got pwned

How do you know it’s bait? How do you know it’s not someone’s actual list?

How do you know I know it's not bait? You ever think of that one? Huh? Answer that and you'll answer yourself.

How do you know I don’t know that you know it’s not bait? Checkmate.

You know because I told you. That's divine revelation, bitch, a priori. Go fuck yourself.

It really is a shame that Harry Potter threads must always elicit the dullest pasta in the history of Yea Forums memes. Seriously each version bashing the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from its half-assed nature, the pasta’s only consistency has been its lack of originality and ineffective use of the accompanying image, all to make the humor humorless, to make creativity seem undesirable.

Perhaps the die was cast when the underage faggots poo-pooed the idea of creating any original content; they made sure the pasta would never be mistaken for a work of originality that meant anything to anybody - just a ridiculously bland guarantee of (You)s. The pasta might be anti-Semitic (or not), but it’s certainly anti-Baneposting in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the first time was clever
"Brap!"

The writing is dreadful; the pasta was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time someone replied to the pasta, the word “based!” was used.

I began marking on the back of a Harry Potter DVD every time that word was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the DVD several dozen times. I was incredulous. Yea Forums’s mind is so governed by cliches and dead memes that it has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of the pasta by Stefan Molyneux. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading this pasta at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to listen to my rhetoric." And he was quite right. He really was making an argument. When you read this pasta you are, in fact, trained to reply to this post or your mother will die in her sleep tonight.

Attached: boredom_tenold.png (296x288, 83K)

prisoner of azkaban. Best book and best movie. Also, one of the very few examples of time travel done right.

based!
>time travel done right
please be bait

Chamber of Secrets because Lockhart is amazing

They all suck shit. Cheap Discworld ripoffs...

Attached: 1544150136939.gif (193x135, 485K)

Do you really think Rowling has read a discworld novel in her life?

Goblet over all, but I think Prince has the best character moments for Harry
Still should have ended up with Luna, but that's a whole other discussion

HPMOR. The story is a schlock like any other potter, but the sheer autism is hilarious.

Prisoner of Azkaban because my husbando Remus shows up there

Not bad

>it's another user tries to assert superiority by knocking literal children's books episode
Neat!