What are the best translations of the Odyssey and Illiad? Prose translations need not apply

What are the best translations of the Odyssey and Illiad? Prose translations need not apply

Attached: illiad.jpg (336x499, 47K)

bump

unironically wilson for the odyssey

oh look it's this thread again.

I know I'll get shit on for this but your best bet is Pope

Attached: 220px-Alexander_Pope_by_Michael_Dahl.jpg (220x273, 9K)

You'll get "shit on" because you deserve it. Pope's Odyssey is trash.

That's why we read the Chapman Odyssey after completing the Pope Iliad.

I liked Lombardo's Iliad. Go read the first page of a few translations and decide for yourself, there's a site with a shit ton of excerpts from different translations.

prose is superior to poetry in every way

the taste of the last century prefers something plainer and more straightforward, more like the style of homer himself. so PROSE translations, like butler's, happen to be the best.

Hobbes

all these replies are shit

who cares buddy, you're still reading translations that will never, ever resemble the original work.

Attached: sb.jpg (718x258, 50K)

Lattimore.

Attached: 1521522144942.png (2000x2100, 2.82M)

While I would recommend "Landmark Thucydides" over any other presentation the Peloponnesian Wars, that recommendation isn't based on the translation (which is serviceable but not great).

Do you see any translations that you'd question?

No; as I said, it's serviceable. It's sometimes artless, but there's nothing *wrong* with it. It's just not particularly great (the translations in the Landmarks have consistently gotten better; Raaflaub's translation of Caesar is the best English translation I've read, for instance).

I've just realized I'm currently reading the original translation of Constance Garnett of Crime and Punishment.

Am I good still, should I switch or just finish this read up and maybe read another translation a second time around?

Kind of want to do the the last option.

It exactly says this at the start of the book, for what it's worth:

"Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevksy. First published in 1866. Translation by Constance Garnett first published in 1914. This edition published by Enhanced Media, 2017. All rights reserved.

ISBN: 978-1-365-20810-2."

Lattimore is half prose but it's the most appropriate one. My uncle is a classicist and he swears by it.

Greek poetry just doesn't fit into English. The poetic rhythm systems of the two languages are based on features the other just doesn't have. English doesn't have the long/short syllable dichotomy, Greek doesn't have stress (accent isn't stress, it's a pitch change).

Kind of off topic question, but why in all older translations the translators use Latin names for the Gods and the heroes.

the latin names were more fashionable up until quite recently

that's not really an effective endorsement since every translator of the iliad (with the exception of pope) was also a classicist

Just learn Ancient Greek

People who want o read The Odyssey usually mean they want to read Homer, not Pope.

Sample some of them till you find one that’s acceptable to your tastes. Fagles is good

I started with Fagles' and then this happened. Read as much commentary as you can, Homer wrote his epics within a culture of mythic folklore which he expanded upon, and sometimes references without explaining. Everyone already knew the events of the epic beforehand, so there is no such thing as spoiling the ending. (Hektor dies.)

Attached: 2011-02-21_09-01-49_698.jpg (2592x1456, 1.04M)

based

hector dying isn't the ending
anyway it's all spoilt in the chapter titles on the contents page

Which do you prefer though, Iliad or Odyssey?
Also have you read fall of troy?

how's the Fitzgerald translation of Odyssey? I picked it up cheap the other day.

I COMPARED SEVERAL TRANSLATIONS OF THE ILIAD AND FOUND THE ONE BY AUGUSTUS TABER MURRAY TO BE THE MOST WELL-WRITTEN AND PLEASING TO MY HEIGHTENED SENSE OF AESTHETICS. THE MOST COMMONLY RECOMMENDED, FAGLES AND LATTIMORE, WERE QUITE HAMFISTED AND DISGUSTING IN COMPARISON

HOWEVER, WERE I TO DO IT AGAIN, I WOULD LOOK FOR THE ONE THAT MOST CLOSELY MATCHES THE ORIGINAL GREEK. BUT I DO NOT PLAN TO READ IT AGAIN. I READ OVER 12 BOOKS OF THE ILIAD, MORE THAN 100% OF HUMANS WHO HAVE EVER EXISTED. THEREFORE I DO NOT NEED TO READ ANY MORE

Wilson's is clear, concise. She doesn't 'feminize' the text in any way. She doesn't take any liberty other than the choice to structure it in iambic pentameter. Seconded recc

Lattimore, while notorious for being 'literal,' is an absolute fucking drag to read through. Going through his translation is a real slough. If you feel like taking forever to read through a TRANSLATION of Homer's work, knock yourself out, OP. I could not waste so much time myself on something other than the source material.

I also have a copy I got cheap I haven’t read of Fitzgerald’s translation, so would also like an answer to this glentale question.

Garnett is the best translator of Dostoevsky (Gary Saul Morson, who wrote that "Pevearsion of Russian Literature" article Yea Forums always cites, agrees). P&V are literalists, and the other translators are inferior prose stylists to Garnett. If you're an autist, just go with the revised editions. You can get revised TBK and Notes from Norton. I don't know about the others.

>If, however, the mouth of the ox
Way to end on a cliffhanger buddy

Attached: sb.jpg (706x438, 78K)

I started reading The Landmark Thucydides last week and I'm enjoying the translation. Which translations do you think do a better job?

based and Popepilled