What are the best books on music? Learning music theory, music history, books on instruments, etc...

What are the best books on music? Learning music theory, music history, books on instruments, etc. Anything to understand music better

Attached: 9780545488600_mres.jpg (800x1200, 201K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=k8_NmCUXyiU
justinguitar.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

go ask Yea Forums, lol.

youtube.com/watch?v=k8_NmCUXyiU

youll have to fish around on goodreads, friend. or google. use the search function. Yea Forums is a coven of mostly failed or failing writers (but hey, no shame in failure, friends)

Disgusting fucking Jewish shit. Taylor Swift's jew agents deliberately marketing her to children. Scholastic complicit, jewish. Taylor Swift indifferent, complicit by passivity. Jewish. Annoying bad society.

Nef's history of music is good. Einstein's book on Mozart.

Attached: 1555909058872.jpg (960x706, 74K)

I generally trust the discretion of people here. Google yields shit results all the time. There has to be at least a couple music autists here

goodreads yields good stuff, though. theres a technique. you look up the most popular book on a subject, and then you click on the related books and branch out from there. rinse and repeat. read the reviews and use your intuition.
ive found some insane shit doing this. i highly recommend it.

Music theory for the computer musician as a book (includes exercises)
Alex New on youtube is excellent

bump

I want Taylor Swift to drain my balls.

>Taylor Swift
Kill yourself

crinfe

This has become a weekly thread I am finding it hard to believe it is anything but someone trolling me to rant about Schoenberg.

While Schoenberg is certainly the most Yea Forums of the writers on music theory, he is probably not a good option for a Taylor Swift user.

I've never played guitar bros. I learned how to play you don't know what love is by the white stripes but otherwise play bass and am learning banjo. Should I learn the chords on git-fiddle too?

If you have an electric guitar, buy Rocksmith 2014 to kill time/have fun doing it.

Here's a few picks that are about music but not really about music theory (which I find a little tedious).

Every Song Ever - Ben Ratliff
Written by a long time music critic (mostly jazz) its about how new technologies have changed the practice of listening and how to develop your own. Advocates that everyone has the capacity to have a critical listening practice and tries to provide the framework and language for it. Has really great written descriptions of music and introduced me to a lot of great music I probably would have never listened to before. Also reframed some music I had heard but not considered critically. Highly recommended.

This Is Your Brain On Music - Daniel Leviten
Good coverage of the relationship between sounds, music and the brain from a neurological perspective. He explains the science pretty well. I didn't agree with the stuff about evolutionary psychology so much but that's towards the end.

How Music Works - David Byrne
Part biography part explanation of music and how it functions. Things like how it matters where the music played (cathedral vs. tiny punk bar). Rambles on about the music industry as well. Didn't really finish it for that reason.

The Order of Sounds - François J. Bonnet
Not actually about music just about sound. Also haven't finished this one yet but I would like to. A bit of a drier philosophical work in the French continental tradition. What I've read so far has changed my idea of sound in a metaphysical sense. I think it's trying to answer the question of what sound IS. A good philosophical companion to Your Brain On Music's scientific rationalism.

>taking a joke OP image this seriously
This board is so autistic

Why did he write pleb music? Is there any correlation between writing about something and doing it?

Yea Forums is terrible and doesn't have a clue about music, history or music theory; apart from dead generals like /classical/ and /jazz/. user did the right thing posting here.

This one is a fine intro to 20th century music.

Attached: 41bVxDu-zhL.jpg (331x500, 20K)

Oh no, I only have a crappy acoustic here. What do I do bros?

That and it probably would have been archived in like 1 hour after getting two shitposts

Get a cheap electric guitar if you want to have any fun playing it, not memeing.
But since you have a banjo and a bass, it's purely down to interest.
A Squire bullet Mustang or a Harley Benton Telecaster/Stratocaster/Les Paul/PRS copy is well under 300$ and plenty of fun.

Justin Guitar is fantastic. He's got tons of vids, an easy to follow program, useful practice routines, and it's free. It's a good foundation for a beginner
justinguitar.com/

What is best music about books?

Does anybody here want to talk about Doctor Faustus?
>Beethoven's own artistry had outgrown itself, had left the snug regions of tradition, and, as humanity gazed on in horror, had climbed to the spheres of the totally personal, the exclusively personal – an ego painfully isolated in its own absoluteness, and, with the demise of his hearing, isolated from the sensual world as well. He was the lonely prince over a ghostly realm, from which came emanations evoking only a strange shudder in even the most well-disposed of his contemporaries, terrifying messages to which they could have reconciled themselves only at rare, exceptional moments.

Was Beethoven's descent into deafness also a descent into formula, a descent into bureaucracy of beauty, and therefore a descent into madness? And does life echo art? Is what happened to Beethoven happening to us?

Unironically most Iron Maiden

No he was mentally ill, had a shit childhood, and went deaf. It's a product of genetic predisposition+environment

I appreciate it man I have considered it before, a lot of what I listen to is twing twangier these days but I know electrics are way more buttery.

That's what the passage describes
>an ego painfully isolated in its own absoluteness

The Thing That Should Not Be by Metallica is Lovecraft inspired.

Oh and ofc Mastodon's album about Moby Dick. What's it called Leviathan? Fucking great album. I haven't listened to mastodon in a while but i am listening to master of puppets right now lol. I think the most "literary" music is pink floyd, the grateful dead or bluegrass tho desu.

Yeah I don't think that would happen to anyone here unless they are engaged in similar circumstances.

Iggy Pop wrote an album after reading the idiot

Taking a sarcastic response serious and failing to see I was making fun of myself more than anything, this board (You) is so dense.

What would you consider to be his pleb music? This really sounds like the opinion of someone who does not know their theory very well, or even music in general. If you are going to make fun of him for anything make fun of him for being a terrible musician, his writing skills and composition skills are difficult to deny.

Just my personal subjective taste. It feels gimmicky and artificial

I am not much of a fan of his music either, but the stuff he is most known for is the entry level atonal works, the reason he is the composer most connect to and credit for atonal is because he is the one composer that bothered to try and write atonal for the traditional ear, and he succeeded at least once.

Look into either his traditional tonal works or his all out serial work if you have not, still not my thing but it is quite interesting and I can find lttle fault with it beyond the aesthetic.

>a lot of what I listen to is twing twangier these days but I know electrics are way more buttery.
I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean, but my point is that an entry level electric guitar is really easy to play and you can get a lot out of it compared to an entry level/cheap accoustic.
A Harley Benton Paisley Telecaster is 150€, and the Squire Bullet Mustang is even slightly cheaper. Pair that with a Boss Katana amp, get a foot pedal or a cheap Zoom multi FX pedal and you can literally gig with this setup, all under 500€, and get all kinds of tones. To start with, you only need a guitar. Not even an amp, you can pick it up a few months down the line when you have more money saved up if you're on a tight budget.
Not shilling but buy from Thomann if you're in Europe but not from UK, if you're in a big city in UK then go around and look for used guitars - a used Squire or Fender is great value. Entry level Les Pauls are kinda shit (Epiphone) but medium tier ones (Epiphone Dot, ES339, LP studio, LP Standard, etc) are pretty great guitars. If you're elsewhere then use your continent/region's big music sites/stores idk, or buy from Amazon and get it set up at a local store.
My point is, just grab an electric guitar and a physical copy of Rocksmith 14 (comes with cable) and that's all you need for a few years until you feel like playing gigs or practicing with a band.

Modernist composers like Hugo Wolf, Richard Strauss and Gustav Mahler desu

holy fuck I hate guitarfags so much lmao the autism. Wow dude squires are cheap? Holy fuck man get this information to the 8th graders immediately!