Iron Man

>The main character for the MCU
>Is a fan favorite
Meanwhile
>His comics are shit
>Villains are shit
What happened? Why hasn't Marvel comics invested in Stark after seeing his success in the MCU?

Attached: aa2fdde422157b259a5251fb4a476741.jpg (640x1136, 155.54K)

Its like superman, people like the idea but everything else around him is boring

50 year old comics are a dead medium.

Too many writers ruin a story. And its been gone on far too long.

He was good in the MCU, can't they paste this version of him into the comics?

nobody who likes the movies reads the comics

They already tried that and he's dogshit. Read Bendis and Slots run to see MCU-lite Stark then come back and tell us how good it is.

Appeals to casuals but not people buying comics. Also Tony has rarely had good runs. To sell comics you need to have good runs for decades. Iron Man has a few and that's being generous. I will say that IM3 fucked up. If they played Kingsley's Mandarin straight then the comics could piggyback that and have a solid main villain. But nope! And Mandarin got killed by the Punisher.

The publishers are retarded. There is no excuse for not writing a good Iron-Man book

>>His comics are shit
And yet, Extremis completely mogs Iron Man 3's butchered attempt at the same storyline.

Demon In a Bottle and Armor Wars we're good.

DIAB is mediocre and Armor Wars is good. Stark doesn't have any other good stories or iconic runs.

And Extremis. That's about it. Everything else is good at best. Tony has weak runs, inconsistent status quos, and a weak rogues gallery. You need better to sell 100k a month.

The only reason he's successful is because RDJ is basically playing himself. He only has one good movie while 2 is terrible and 3 is bad.

This. Iron Man is good, Stark is shit.

MCUfags don't read comics.

Never got the "he has shit rogues" thing. Honestly they're not worst then most superheroes rouges galleries. I'd say their no worst then the Flash's and people love them.

becomes a popular ip
>Marvel decides to throw him under the bus for civil war and have dr doom and riri takes his place
>iron man books don't sell
dam what a surprise

Movie fags aren't comic fags. All the bitching and complaining that goes on here should be proof of that

Gatekeeping, much?

It's the truth most MCUfags don't read comics. The most they'll do is skim a wikipedia to see what the next big event that's going to happen in the MCU.

Flash's rogues are beloved and they have a great dynamic as well as varied powers. Iron Man doesn't really have that. He's got a lot of armored enemies and various other kinds that aren't as interesting either on their own or in a group. To make matters worse, Iron Man's best villains go to other comics. He has Mandarin and sometimes he gets to play with Ghost but outside of that it's a bunch of nobodies or cult favorites that won't translate to better sales or even better comics.

Fraction's run is the only good one post-2000s

And then they think they’re comic book experts god I hate faggots like that

The problem is that for nearly the past 2 decades Marvel and its writers have been more obsessed with writing character pieces about Tony or trying to ape RDJ's portrayal than writing an interesting comic. And when they do something other than the two I just mentioned it tends to be high-concept, status quo shifting shit that never catches on because they don't spend enough time doing the ground work stories of Tony actually living and responding to the new status quo for them to catch on. Assuming that readers actually care about the shift to begin with. So if all you've got are people doing half-assed retakes of Extremis featuring a RDJ impression ruminating about his place in the world while thinking Iron Man doesn't need things like recurring villains or adventure and yet for some reason they're confused why no one is enthused about Iron Man.

So give me a corporate espionage story about Ghost where Tony has to team up with him in the end because Spymaster is playing both sides. Give me some superhero James Bond shit with Madame Masque. How about Tony getting cockblocked by politics after a revolution in Africa seizes a Stark facility and is holding the workers hostage, and when he goes rogue he runs into Crimson Dynamo and Titanium Man because Russia is backing the new government? But hey, I'm not a comic writer so I clearly don't understand that the kind of stories Tony needs is him getting a chiding lecture from a wealthy, superhero dilettante supermodel.

cantwell sucks

They would if Marvel sold them a fucking book retard. MCU normies were begging to get into comics yet there wasn't a single Iron-Man book worth picking up, there should have been one of the shelf next to Harry Potter in every bookstore

It's kind of impressive that despite these films having years of lead-in and planning they don't commission one-and-done TPBs to have ready for simultaneous release. Most of the properties being released between now and 2024 were announced in 2019, plenty of time to produce a book.

If MCUfags want to get into comics, there are plenty available for them. They can either order some from Amazon or go to Comixology or any other site that sells or ships comic books.

You're better off selling a novel than a comic to casuals. It's just how it is. Now if you had some long running Iron Man epic novel series by a big name author, you'd be making money now with the books and money later with a film adaptation.

Attached: thinking.jpg (801x653, 48.54K)

Hell, they could even go to a comic book shop.

There isn't a single good Iron-Man comic
>inb4 Demon in a Bottle
It's never in print

civil war & cw2

They did try to make him the new face of the comics in 2015. Then they got to use Spider-Man in the MCU, and Bendis put Tony in a coma and introduced Riri shortly afterwards.

CW2 was an event with a bunch of tie-ins. I'm talking more about a bunch of Doctor Strange GNs to push on Amazon that coincide with the current film release. Not a collection of reprints, books actually commissioned for the purpose of being standalone.

Not nearly enough, that's why we're in this situation

Let's be honest how many of these characters have had consistently good stories?

Attached: niZ9K9j2LWWjpyUpwor8en-1200-80.jpg (600x300, 34.65K)

unironically hulk has probably had the most consistent writing

then probably thor. cap but only some early stuff and the brubaker stuff of course

Cap's ongoing in the 60's was fucking amazing, even when it was retarded it was still a blast to read.

Attached: Captain America 113-013.jpg (2132x1500, 1.1M)

>sleeping on Gruenwald Cap.
In all seriousness though, a lot of Marvel characters had real good runs in the 80s that have been completely memoryholed due to the fuck-fuck games of the 90s and editorial disinterest in favor of the Ultimate universe in the 00s.

The more I actually read Marvel stuff ranging from the 60's through the 90's the more credence I give to the idea the whole Marvel Universe died circa 1990-91.

Rdj is the general audience's prime version of the character. Anyone else is mot muh territory. Moreover they get repelled when they see stuff like Happy and Pepper getting married or no bonding with Peter like a mentor figure.

shit, for some reason i thought gruenwald's run was back in the day, but yeah you're right

i'm getting fucking old

They tried but it doesn't work. MCU Stark worked because he was THE big fish of the MCU. He was the one that made all the breakthroughs and advanced the plots. In the comics you can't have that because there are tons of characters who can outshine him both in smarts and fights. In the end the only thing that Stark would have left is his cool factor of being rich and a chad who beds every women he wants. BUT both of these things contradict everything that the crowd running Marvel Comics wants. They hate cool rich people and hate ladies men, so Stark will be none of them ever again.

So you're left with a comic relief that barely has any protagonism in his own comics, let alone team comics. The butt of empowerment jokes. The guy who gets beat up when they need to show a brand new big threat that WILL CHANGE THE MARVEL UNIVERSE FOREVER. Easy to see why no one cares about him

The problem with Iron Man books is that people are in love with the "idea" of the character yet very rarely are writers interested in pursuing who he actually is in favor of constant reinvention. I think this is partly because who Stark should be isn't exactly "PC" by today's standards.

To make a comparison, I would argue Tony Stark is essentially a James Bond type of character, or rather the epitome of a male power fantasy.
>Rich
>Charismatic
>Wide range of gadgets
>Drives expensive/fast cars
>Womanizer that fucks supermodels
>Drinks
>Attends parties
>Visits exotic locations
>Saves the world
>No hang ups on killing
Which this is reinforced when you think about Iron Man's early days basically being a Cold War hero against Commies, with a dash of Howard Hughes. So I think Iron Man's problem is that writers don't want to embrace these facts and instead flip flop between full on supervillain or a Steve Jobs incompetent idiot. Which is sad because Iron Man's character is basically timeless, with the benefit of evolving with real world tech

Attached: Iron Man by DNA.jpg (776x1200, 355.6K)

He's got good comics, I liked Extremis and Superior Iron Man, even if they're not the norm.
The problem is a lot of people see the genius inventor side of him and try and once again tell the story of him making a company from the ground up only for someone to steal control of it from him, it's happened dozens of times throughout his comics.

Bitch, he’s dead now in the MCU anyway.

I actually like a lot of Iron Man comics but it's undeniable they've never tapped into his true potential as a premise

name two more that aren't demon in a bottle & armor wars
i only have hypervelocity & director of shield

Simonson's Thor

Attached: iron man recs list 4chans.jpg (1280x720, 303.85K)

Ellis was cancelled, you don't need to keep pretending Extremis was good. And to be honest it doesn't matter how "good" or "bad" Iron Man comics are, the size of the paying audience for most ongoing Big 2 books has largely been fixed at the same size for decades, Iron Man's only going to sell better if he gets a star artist who draws more sales.

Stark Unlimited was stolen from him by his adopted brother, his company Circuits Maximus was destroyed (by a competitor, so similar), Stark International was stolen, his company Stark Enterprises was bought when he was dead one time, then there's the several times he gives up his company willingly but either gets them back later or they get dissolved.

Extremis is a perfectly fine story in and of itself. Its issue is that it handwaves away Tony's prior history, but given that it was an intentional origin update and jumping-on point that might have been intended on the part of Marvel.

i've been getting his newsletters so is he back now

>>Villains are shit
They're underutilized, but not shit. Armored adventures proved that

>Ellis was cancelled
And I should give a shit about this, why?

>Extremis is a perfectly fine story in and of itself.
Not really, it's about 2-3 issues' worth of plot padded out to 6, and a lot of it's just excruciating, especially Tony's hippy mentor, and that bratty teen the villain killed just so you know he's the villain.

It's an opportunity to take a step back and acknowledge his cape comic work is usually awful. Marvel and DC chasing after star writers who think superhero books are beneath them was a mistake.

what are his current Newsletters about?

same shit the old ones were about

He's shit.