Help an Yea Forumsddict get into literature

Literature with this feel?

Attached: A2BAC7BB-F952-4365-81F3-0DFA2BE4F752.jpg (459x586, 111K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedgehog's_dilemma
warosu.org/lit/?task=search2&ghost=yes&search_text=neon genesis evangelion&search_subject=&search_username=&search_tripcode=&search_email=&search_filename=&search_datefrom=&search_dateto=&search_op=op&search_del=dontcare&search_int=dontcare&search_ord=new&search_capcode=all&search_res=op
youtu.be/gGLWNVG9e3Q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

For me it's Misato feet.

Attached: misato.jpg (752x1063, 86K)

Crime and Punishment.

Milton’s Paradise Lost

Can you explain the context of the image to help us give you a more useful recommendation? This is a non-virgin board.

This pussy is placed improperly for that pose.

Book of the New Sun has similar theological undertones (or overtones depending on which passage you reference) but actually does something with them

> a non-virgin board
As real as the unicorns, but please proceed.

Evangelion isn't the least bit religious.

Pietra statue.

So, Dante's Inferno and Paradise Lost.

Then it has a dumb name.

I'm tired of saying this every Evangelion thread but here it is, what you are looking for.

Attached: demian.jpg (1702x740, 226K)

Gravity's Rainbow

It's an anime, what do you expect?

thank you for your service, your efforts are appreciated

Malazan is basically just a brutal anime written by a Canadian turbo geek

Aliens sending themselves, or other aliens to earth, which humanity battles by building androids of said dead aliens, piloted by children to only find out that humanity are aliens too.
Also the MC wants to fuck an underage clone of his mom.

>Evangelion isn't the least bit religious.
>those giant crucifixes,"angels" and the symbolism

that doesn't make it religious you imbecile

Yeah but Hesse is a fucking hack
Why do i have to keep saying this obvious shit

the fact they put all that shit still says a lot about why they used that title

so is Hideaki Anno

It is spiritual and borrows christian symbology for the spiritualism and some of the plot window dressing. You're the plen for ascribing so much potential to it just from familiarity alone

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 11.56.26 AM.png (920x296, 89K)

It's literally a Christ allegory dressed up as Power Rangers but with more crying.

posting "what is the evangelion of literature" threads should be a jailable offense

Christian symbolism

Attached: Pietà, Michaelangelo.jpg (1584x1660, 634K)

Nah, the creators have given interviews where they know basically nothing about Christianity, just put some images/words from there in the show to seem exotic to Japanese audiences (they didn't think it would be viewed outside of Japland).

If you have watched the show, you know that it makes no sense if you try to analyze it from a Christian perspective, everything they borrowed from the Bible, the show puts into it its own specific meaning.

You need to analyze it from a Judeo-Kabbalistic perspective

Attached: tree of life.png (960x544, 681K)

Attached: rkt.png (1058x350, 105K)

Like I said, the show imbues the Christian imagery with it's own, new meaning.

You can analyze it from whatever perspective you want, but it wont be the actual artistic message of the creators.

The imagery might have its own meaning in the show, but it matches up surprisingly with its meaning in the Bible. The point is that Evangelion uses its symbolism smartly, they didn't just add crosses and angels to be "exotic" or "cool".

Well between your word and those of the creators, I take theirs.

Not for any other reason, but just because when I tried watching the show through a Christian perspective (not knowing any better at first), I thought it was the worst pseudo intellectual crap I had ever seen.

>wtf this christian/kabbalah apocrypha is nothing like what i learned at sunday school!!!

hurrr

Anno said he did it because it was cool. No hidden meaning behind it.
Also, ultraman references.

this is a misconception based on one off-hand remark from a gainax employee. There are other interviews with other employees that claim that Anno was extremely cagey about the religious symbolism, that he didn't communicate his intentions with the team, and they speculated that he probably read some book about it and got interested.

Yeah, GR

Anno never said that, the people that worked with him said that Anno never told anyone the meaning of the symbolism

Evangelion is one of the few good things that get recommended on Yea Forums.

The religious symbolism is just there to add some depth and a second layer, it is completely irrelevant to the actual themes of the show.

You have Shinji, the contemporary japanese dweeb who wants a better relationship with his emotionally distant and authoritative father figure but does not know how to do this. He has difficulties adjusting to the stress and responsibility of adult life, and he is unable to communicate properly with the opposite gender. You have the mother figure Misato who is a closet alcoholic and who yearns for masculine contact. You have Rei which is idealized as the perfect girl but never speaks and Shinji doesn't really dare to speak to her either. And you have that Asuka and the hand that showcases Shinji having sexual urges but being unable to be upfront and develop mature relationships. Instead of accepting her advances he is scared and spineless, but faps to her unconscious body when the opportunity arises. It is literally a show about the issues of contemporary Japan; the lack of drive, hope and future prospects for those entering the adult world, the defunct family unit, and an inability to connect with the opposite gender.

Anno quite literally said it was put in because it looked cool.

Is it just me or does NGE kind of line up with Joyce’s bibliography? Both start off subdued, relatively normal and far more subtly great, then before long you’ve got 25/26/EoE on one side and Ulysses on the other which are by far the most famous, where the work is purely the creator’s autism and brainlets seethe and call them pretentious. Then I guess the Rebuilds go with Finnegans Wake lol

I just watched this for the first time

He's got an interview where he says it. Someone posted it on /m/.

I mean, he was literally talking to a 10 year old at the time, and creators constantly downplay and backchat their own works, and Japan is an incredibly humble culture, so that doesn't say as much as people think it does.

He was there to get kids into animation and teach them to express themselves, and was out of the depression that inspired the show in the first place. If you're no longer depressed, and you're trying to get kids in a repressive culture to express their feelings, you don't pelt them with the meaning of occult symbolism in your weeb depression diary that incidentally got aired on Japanese TV.

FUCK OFF

I mean, if we're going to compare it to anything in the West, it should probably be Twin Peaks.

>Popular postmodern shows made by slightly out-there directors of their respective cultures
>Designed as a reflection of and commentary on the culture they were made in, but people just liked the genre aspect (mecha fights/detective mystery)
>The creators become disillusioned with the response their work receive, and after unexpected financial/executive decisions out of the creators control the last two episodes have to be even more surreal and experimental than originally planned
>Each released a movie to wrap things up a couple years later, which was generally panned at launch due to its unapologetic focus on the darker themes of the shows they came from
>Twin Peaks The Return and Evanglion 3.0 both come decades later and criticise nostalgia for the past, and show their heroes destroying their lives by trying to reclaim the past by saving a girl who they should not have tried to save
>Twin Peaks The Return and Evangelion 3.0 both end with the protag stuck in a desolate wasteland, miles from home, with someone who is an empty husk of the person they were trying to save
>Both end on cliffhangers that will never be resolved/will take years to be followed up

Attached: uoftx3i79rcz.jpg (580x767, 147K)

>you are to the extend that you are in peoples minds, and in particular in yours

Also hedgehogs dilemma
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedgehog's_dilemma

Also Judaic symbolism, but only because the Japanese animators thought that's cool.

Also deconstructing the Mecha genre, but I suppose that's not what OP meant when he asks
>Literature with this feel?

Attached: AR_helmet.jpg (1080x1080, 282K)

Because you're wrong

>Evangelion is one of the few good things that get recommended on Yea Forums.
a good half of Yea Forums shits on evangelion.
Putting aside how shit it is, there's no loli in evangelion, no way Yea Forums would actually recommend it.

I was thinking exactly this for the past couple of weeks myself since finishing the og anime & End of Eva. Eva=the anime Twin Peaks, or TP=the soap opera Eva tho?

The german philosopher Schopenhauer created the "Hedgehog dilemma" as seen in the show

Sorry user, but that's reaching too far.
Also Christian imagery has been prominent in mecha anime and tokusatsu since the 70's; Mazinger, ultraman and even Cutey Honey had it.
It just looked cool.

user, claiming you know what Anno intended based on how he talked to ten year olds, especially when it's almost universal that creators are loathed to explain their works (especially in a place like Japan), is a reach.

I'm not saying he definitely had some 200 IQ reason for every explosion cross, I'm just saying it's as possible that it adds another layer to the show as it is that it doesn't.

oh hey! this thread again! good job op.

Search the archive you lazy twunk:
warosu.org/lit/?task=search2&ghost=yes&search_text=neon genesis evangelion&search_subject=&search_username=&search_tripcode=&search_email=&search_filename=&search_datefrom=&search_dateto=&search_op=op&search_del=dontcare&search_int=dontcare&search_ord=new&search_capcode=all&search_res=op

NGE and EoE give off a certain emotional high,at least for me
EoE makes me feel a lot of things,i wouldnt be suprised that look for liteature equvivalents for this

>non-virgin board.

Basically he wants a book with
>Christian symbolism
>Deep dives into characters' minds and psychological horror
>Biological horror and an unnatural feeling
>A civilization too advanced for its own good
>Humans being stupid and shitty and overly bureaucratic
>Technobabble
>End of the world scenario caused by the humans playing God

Don't forget best girl

Attached: best girl.jpg (540x532, 60K)

Also another theme of Eva but pretty specific to the anime audience so probably not seen much in literature
>Relatable main character that's actually a piece of garbage so get your life together faggot

I respect your opinion, but I don't share it. Sorry user.

Blessed and accurate post

user you selected the wrong picture. here :^)

Attached: asuka.png (500x680, 362K)

Asuka's only good for gentle femdom

Yes pls

He didn't, though. Stop spreading this piece of misinformation.

Ccru Collected Writings

Eva is an indisputable masterpiece if aren't autistic and can actually get behind the puerile philosophy, the hyperbole and the occasional heavy-handed reference.

>2009+10
>people still watch animu

Attached: OP.jpg (1023x576, 97K)

mishima

youtu.be/gGLWNVG9e3Q