Tolkien is the king of fantasy

Forget George R.R. Martin, Tolkien's LOTR and Silmarillion is so well poetically put together and detailed that it makes Game of Thrones world building look like garbage.

Attached: latest.jpg (836x591, 167K)

You might be memeing, but Tolkien really does ruin other fantasy more me.

I don't like seeing Tolkien's work being reduced to its worldbuilding because it's so much more than that. There is a soul to it that reflects the authors philosophy and it is beautiful. Comparing it to Martin is disgusting because his work likewise reflects his soul, which is product of the 60's.

>I have only ever heard of these two authors in regard to fantasy

Attached: 1490229605044.jpg (615x477, 100K)

Tolkien is really something else. It feels like reading a timeless fairy tale.

>Sunset found her squatting
>dude it's the medieval ages so everyone is a douchebag for no fucking reason lmao

I wish I lived in the 50s.

Name some worthwhile fantasy then you cunt

Tolkein was anti-tech. He would agree with Kaczynski. The whole idea with the ring of power and needing to destroy it was an allegory about the power of the forces unleashed by the industrial revolution and needing to destroy them. He talked a lot about his hatred of modern tech.

All political ideologies are shams, they just want to grab control over the industrial system to push other people around. The only solution is to dump the system.

i put the book down before reading the last chapter, the moment when he wakes up...and i don't know why lol great great book though

lotr movie is my most favorite ever
but my dumbass would never read any books and until now i thought that fantasy books aren't ment for me. some weeks ago some user talked about The Children of Húrin
so i went to the store and bought it the other day. currently reading it and it's very good !!!!

my question is :
what should i read next after the children of hurin ? silmarillion and then hobbits and lastly lord of the rings ??

Attached: tumblr_kq260cTxNC1qzhl9eo1_1280.jpg (1280x968, 345K)

>silmarillion and then hobbits and lastly lord of the rings ??
The typically recommended order that I would also endorse is Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, Silmarillion, and then pick around at the other background materials as you see fit. If you're enjoying Children of Hurin on it's own, great, but it's an atypical place to start with Tolkien.

also; are 60 pages in one go bad, ok, good ?
and iam talking about : spontaneously grabbing the book, turn lotr theme on and read a while

If ou ever read his books you would know how much he hated people lookin for hidden allegories and meanings in his work. There is no deep way to relate it to the real world.

>Thinking Martin will actually finish the series.

This is probably the way it ought to be read. The Hobbit is kind of like a children's story, and eases you into the world. LOTR is a bit more scattered with obscurities. After that it starts to get a little, well, abstract almost

Thank you, user!

It is garbage and so is Tolkien

>allegory

Kill yourself you immense fucking faggot. There is NOTHING allegorical about LOTR.

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM I WAS BORNE IN Le WrOnG gEnErAtIoN

Kaczynski was more than anti tech, retard

No shit, welcome to having a brain.

What an absolute waste of a trip

Was Gene Wolfe the spiritual successor?

>search warosu for "tolkien" - OP posts only
>Almost every thread is relating/comparing him to george martin

Attached: 25A2477C-7CE2-454C-A667-E462AEF81E25.jpg (612x612, 20K)

Sing Tom Bombadil's song in french for me, pretty please

A wild contender appears

A Throne of Bones

when we're talking medieval fantasy then there really is only two authors. Tolkien being great and Martin being quite good.

I take it that nobody here reads Dunsany.
Or Howard.
Or Leiber

Why does every moron always want to compare GRRM and JRRT? Tolkien was concerned with mythology and language, Martin is concerned with fantasizing boring Anglo history and producing mediocre-to-bad free indirect discourse with his POV characters.

it wasn't meant to be an instruction book...

Mervyn Peake and, Eddison, Dunsany say hello.

Good post

But to be fair Tolkien himself admitted that the series was an outlet for his artificial languages. I see what you mean with this though

Peake and Eddison are great, but I can't say they beat Lord of the Rings. OP is also completely correct. I'm ashamed to admit I've not read Dunsany, though.
Is just stupid, plenty of other authors. Peake, MacDonald, Dunsany, Eddison all far eclipse Martin.
This, they're not very similar outside of popularity.

>le anglo
go back to