Is he right?

Is he right?

Attached: Screenshot_20220508-112127_Chrome.jpg (1080x624, 152.64K)

Superhero fatigue set in after Avengers Infinity War.

Wouldn't know. Don't see 'em.

Revisionist history. The period after IW was like no other so far as capeshit was concerned. People were running out in droves to consume it, even DC stuff were massive hits like Aquaman and Joker. Then covid happened and then Phase 4 happened and DC also has been releasing stuff the general audience don't care for outside of Batman.

This. I was hoping they would scale down after IW/EW and do more simple stories again but they're all in on this multiverse shit. Oh well, at least Batman was good.

BW and Shang-chi and Venom also did fine taking into account all the restrictions. Strange 2 will hit 900M at least. I guess DC has Peacemaker, outside of Batman.

Aquaman 2, Shazam 2, and Black Adam too.

I have no faith in that stupid Flash movie though since it's just trying to be MCU shit.

From a certain point of view. They aren't covering origin stories or explaining why some character has magical technology. They're just launching into the narrative and assuming you know that stuff.

It's funny how right after the capeshit fatigue kicked in, DC released 3 of their best movies.
On the other hand of the last 5 Marvel movies, 4 of them are probably in the top 10 of the worst Marvel movies.

They're basically importing the same issues that comics have into the MCU. I thought Disney was pretty concerned with making sure future generations will be interested in the MCU but I don't see the kids of today watching WandaVision to understand this. Hell, I barely even wanted to watch it.

Pretty much. I mean what they want you to remember is at the end of the film to setup the next one. So you're experience isn't appreciation of what you saw buy what you'll experience next.

They only did it a lot the last few months to open the floodgates lately for down the road.

>2022
>Thor
>Black Panther

>2023
>Ant-Man
>Captain Marvel
>Guardians
>F4

>2024
>Blade
>Deadpoop
>Captain America 4
>Probably Shang-Chi 2

I don't see much multiverse shit in there

>WandaVision
Yup, I don't want to watch a tv show to understand the plotpoint of a movie.

Of all these movies the only one that has even the slightest chance of being good is GoG 3.
May God help us all

yeah that's why Endgame was the highest grossing movie of all time

the n-next m-marvel m-movie w-will f-fail, says increasingly nervous man for 30th time

>I haven't been keeping up with the ongoing story and this is the story's fault

That's probably my least interested. It's because all the others have a chance to do something else. I've seen like 4 cape projects from Gunn and they all feel too samey. The only difference is either he can be M-rated or not with the jokes and violence.

The MCU is a series. You don't need to repeat the exposition of episode 1 in every episode.

Not really, not here anyways we are use to it, it's pretty easy to follow a marvel movie that explains the most minimum. and it was horse shit that you need to watch all of these to know what's going on. They just shiling for Disney to it can get more Disney+ Subs

I mean I feel like he's objectively right. They expect you to have context of things from outside of the movies now. That's just a fact.

>capes in the 1990s

>Probably Shang-Chi 2

Attached: n20.jpg (510x368, 39.39K)

Yeah, it's definitely Disney's fault.

The definition of Superhero could be easily be argued to be so broad that "superhero fatigue" isn't really possible.

You're insane if you think James Bond isn't a superhero.

You don't, but as time goes on kids will lose interest because they don't want to bother catching up with all the MCU shit to get the most out of the series.

It's literally what happened with comics. We'll probably see our first MCU reboot in a decade or so when Disney notices kids would rather watch TikTok than try to parse out whatever they fuck the MCU is now.

This. Not really excited by the secondary and tertiary characters.
I'll see the new Thor and that's about it for a while.
I'm sure they will have to reboot to put the actual heavy hitters int he spotlight again, eventually.

Attached: caphead.jpg (867x1233, 72.42K)

Seems like they're getting too deep for a reboot of everything. More likely to recast actors and try to make characters essentially unkillable.

Yeah those movies keep coming last fastballs. How you do keep up with your ADHD?

I just miss when the MCU was simple. You had a new movie every year that had a loose connection to the next movie that slowly set up a team up movie. Now we have TV shows and movies that aren't even solo movies anymore and movies that are sequels to TV shows, it's a clusterfuck.

Also the multiverse shit has cheapened the fun of seeing new characters. They feel so disposable now, I mean Wanda literally disposed of variants in Dr. Strange 2 precisely because they weren't really important and Raimi just wanted to have a cool horror slasher scene. Now MCU Reed Richards is just some goober in my mind.

You're still trying to make this about me. Can't you read dumbass? I can keep up with this shit. We're dumb millennials, this franchise was made for us. The problem is kids these days already hate millennial culture and on top of that you're asking them to keep up with 20 years of storytelling, they won't give a shit.

Sort of like how we millennials stopped caring about old long running boomer franchises like Friday the 13th.

>Superhero fatigue set in after Avengers Infinity War.
You've been saying that for years and these movies still are going strong. How long will you keep going with that narrative until that cope has killed you

Attached: 1746554846.png (700x394, 91.55K)

Agreed. Just like the Western movies.

>Strange 2 will hit 900M at least
HOW? Hasn't it been panned?

>75% critics liked it
>87% of audience liked it
Doesn't look like it had been panned. It's more divisive than NWH for sure.

the good thing about marvel movies is that their plots are so simple you don't have to

Is Yea Forums shitting itself?

>damage control
It must suck to be a MCU simp.

>disney deadpool movie
i hope it flops

This shit happens when things become too connected and there are too damn many tie-ins in comics, books, tv series etc. All of a sudden the newest entry makes no fucking sense unless you also watched some random tv show and read at least 2 books just to get the basic plot beats. And can recall the last 5 movies to get the little plot points that are popping back up now.

Like Halo now requires the player to have read a fucking 3-4 book series to have any kind of a clue what the fuck is going on in a game.
Assassin's Creed is a goddamn mess and you need to read comics and other tie in material to get what the hell is going on in later games
Star Wars used to be pretty good at making damn sure the book and comic shit remained book and comic shit, but not now. You have characters that appear out of nowhere with no introduction and you have to go read a 5K word essay on a wiki to get what is happening in one episode of any show now

Basically MCU turned into Marvel Comics
>All current stories are connected to events happening in other books and you need to go pick up some other title to get the rest of the story
>All books have guest appearances and mostly advertise other books as well
>Every story is built on some other story that happened years ago and you need to go read lots of other shit to get the references
Probably not since the mid 90s could one just pick up an issue and read that issue and be done with it. Everything is a mini spanning 3 books and a team book somewhere leading into a summer event. and now the movies are doing the exact same shit. you cannot just watch ant-Man or Spider-Man, everything is now related to some other movie and maybe a tv series you were never interested in watching before, but now you HAVE to watch it just to get what the basic level plot in this movie is. It's the same problem that makes modern comics unapproachable to new readers.

It's slowly turning into an Only for the Dedicated Nerds thing and not something that has mass appeal to a wide audience. You know the group that guarantees the highest profits for a film in the first place.

Attached: 19starwars-web-staff-articleLarge.jpg (600x401, 100.54K)

Watching a Marvel movie now is like watching Buckaroo Banzai.

Attached: BB.jpg (1000x1500, 337.15K)

It seems like fucking everything comic adaptation is multiverse shit. It's not just MCU, CW shows are all multiverse, Sony animated Spider-Man is all multiverse, Sony Spidey villain franchise is all multiverse, DCEU is going multiverse, MCU tv shows are now multiverse, Disney Channel Marvel cartoons are all multiverse, fucking everything now demands multiple versions of Spider-Man, Superman, Batman, Flash, Supergirl, and Dr Strange whenever they are set to appear on a screen.

Spider-Man most of all in almost all forms of media is now married to the multiverse concept. Even the Disney cartoons series have gone full multiverse with a half dozen variant Spider-men appearing everywhere. Seems like we are not going to get a friendly neighborhood Spider-Man that catches ATM robbers and punches animal themed purse snatchers on a screen anytime soon at all.

Attached: justice friends.jpg (512x307, 55.73K)

A bunch of critics don't like the movie because they literally didn't understand it. One I saw literally said that they didn't like this movie because they have trouble following time travel stories. Which is confusing thing to bring up since *there isn't time travel in this movie*.

The deeper that the MCU gets into the weird scifi/fantasy stuff, the less 'serious' critics grok what is happening because they are outsiders to this genre. But anyone on this board probably knew how a multiverse worked before they knew how to drive.

This is the issue. Films must be made for the widest audience possible. And that means taking into account that people may not have seen a tv show from end to end just to know what is happening in a movie. The movie must be capable of standing on its own. But MCU is really starting to lose this whole concept and turning their franchises into a complicated mess that needs multiple wiki articles just to get what is happening on screen.

If it is too complicated or makes no sense, or has required reading involved, then that is only going to turn off a percentage of viewers, and if it keeps on going they will lose a percentage every time it happens.

...you better not be talking shit about Buckaroo Banzai.

Attached: 1636934984097.jpg (900x675, 93.3K)

But $900M for a movie with an average rating?
Damn, they don't even have to TRY anymore.

Same, I miss the movies being mostly standalone. And if there was another character guest appearance then it was just for a scene or two and they had no impact on the story. It was just a quick nod to the other series and that's that.

>Average
Doesn't look average to me

This movie has been hyped up like crazy by Marvel and the media. It's basically an event movie. Something like Love and Thunder is just a regular movie. Honestly while 900m and mediocre ratings are fine, I think that wasn't the expectation at all so it'll be interesting how Feige looks at it.

Should've used actually relevant characters.
Like if Wanda killed Steve instead, It would've had a lot more impact because even if that's not OURS Cap it'd still be the version of a character anyone cares about. No one gives a shit about Captain Carter or What If.
And people would probably clap if a version of Carol died like they did when she was punched out by Thanos

>Now we have TV shows and movies that aren't even solo movies anymore and movies that are sequels to TV shows, it's a clusterfuck
This.

I'm more likely to pop into the theater for a movie every so often than to keep up with all the extra stuff. Think it might have been better to keep things separate, like how Jessica Jones, Daredevil, etc. were largely independent of the films and vice versa.

Attached: Infinity War.jpg (1200x675, 297.36K)

I would have said the 80s MOTU movie. Damn thing looked like a sequel to another cooler movie that I missed.

That's true, a movie audience might not know who the hell these new people are or care as much when they all die.

The TV shows were all really tied in anyway. WandaVision and Falcon and Winter Soldier really required the viewer to have seen Infinity War, Avengers 2, Civil War, and Endgame. Which is not as bad since those were huge movies at the time and most people had seen them, making these shows a fun little extra addition for fans.

But movies now requiring people to have seen a whole tv series on a subscription service, that's a stupid idea. Dr Strange requires the viewer to have seen Endgame, WandaVision, Spider-Man 3, What If, Loki, and also have a working knowledge who a few important comic characters are. Nothing about this movie is approachable to a casual viewer and it shows a very comic-like disdain for the casual viewer as well.

Small screen stuff needs to remain a fun addition, and never become something important to the entire franchise narrative. It definitely does not need the plot of a movie to hinge on it.

kinda the phase 1 stuff the connected universe stuff was limited to Coulson and the credit scenes, now though the execs seem to think that's the only reason people saw those movies so all the MCU stuff now is filled with shared universe crap to the point it feels like you will miss something if you skip any MCU product (which is exactly what the execs wanted) now the story seems secondary to the call-backs, cameos and other shared universe garbage

You’re not required to watch the shows. Feige said as much. If anything, people that are concerned about the story in WV are the ones that watched it, made theories and they were all wrong about Wanda. It wasn’t about her overcoming anything.

>it feels like you will miss something if you skip any MCU product (which is exactly what the execs wanted) now the story seems secondary to the call-backs, cameos and other shared universe garbage
So just like comics

The issue the movies and comics use to be story arcs with maybe one crossover/event every year or so, but the movies have followed the comics trend where everything is a limited time crossover event or a new issue #1 for a title for the third time in a year. there isn't stories anymore there are just events after events into new events that push the fear of missing out if you miss something

My vote for this is definitely the Star Wars sequels, those introduce fucking nothing to the viewer and hardly explains anything. You just dive right in as if you are supposed to know exactly what the First Order is, why Jakku is important, what Leia, Luke and co have been doing for the last 20ish years,

The older movies had Obi-Wan telling Luke everything, which in turn tells the viewer all they need to know. Or Qui-Gon telling Anakin everything, with tells the viewer everything they need to know. The sequels tell you nothing and people and places are just sort of there. As if you are always supposed to know what happened and where everyone is going and why the setting is in the state that it is in. We never learn on screen why the planets that blow up are significant, just some planets get kerploded and that's kinda sad. We don't know why there are empire cosplayers when we saw them defeated in ROTJ, they just...are there. We don't know why Han is single and flying a garbage barge of monsters, he just is. We never learn why either, he just...is.

The whole thing felt like a sequel to another earlier movie that I never got to see and I was fucking lost as a result. Like there was some other sequel from 2012ish that actually did all the legwork setting up the plot and setting and I missed it. I get that it's movie #7, but a lot of things are wildly different, and I need some explanation as to why things are wildly different. One cannot just jump right in and go without a basis.

Attached: 976fb4.jpg (512x741, 63.62K)

It was a lot easier when it was just Fury or the random SHIELD guy that made it a connected setting.

>WandaVision and Falcon and Winter Soldier really required the viewer to have seen Infinity War, Avengers 2, Civil War, and Endgame. Which is not as bad since those were huge movies at the time and most people had seen them, making these shows a fun little extra addition for fans

Falcon/Winter Soldier felt like an addendum to the Captain America story, which I didn't mind so much. Like a post-series lite novel or something.

Attached: Sam and Steve.png (957x408, 506.64K)