Thoughts?

Thoughts?

Attached: 9780940322660_p0_v1_s1200x630.jpg (374x600, 50K)

A favorite between the ages of 10 and 15, and thereafter. Talent, but not genius. Love him dearly, but cannot rationalize that feeling.

Based Nabokov

Changed my life for the better, I reread it about every year or two

fuck off

How does Nabokov define genius?

Do you have that same book from the OP? That's the only one I can find, but I'm wary of buying a 1400-page paperback. How does it hold up?

How so? What is this book about? It looks like it is about depression.

Yeah, it's basically a manual on depression and how to overcome it

It holds up fine, but you better be fluent in Latin otherwise over 300 pages of notes are unreadable, though most are just citations. The editors say in the preface that they translate the Latin for the moder reader where Burton did not immediately paraphrase it, however they refuse to translate passages in Latin concerning sex and refused to translate Burton's notes which are entirely in Latin. The book is interesting but not what I was hoping for. It is essentially Goldilocks and the Three Bears but narrated by an autodidact pedant. Essentialy everything causes melancholy: too little of X will cause melancholy, too much of X will cause melancholy, but the right amount of X will not cause melancholy. It's a great book for pseud cred.

>It's a great book for pseud cred.
Thank you for confirming my suspicions, I guess

I would buy it. It may interest you. Or at least check it out from the library. I went in expecting something like Sebald's Rings of Saturn. An entertaining retelling of history with illustrative anecdotes. Only the author's introduction to text fulfilled this with a story about two greek philosophers. The rest of the text is mainy copious brief citations of what the author is discussing. Burton will talk about eating fruit being a cause of melancholy. He will then cite a bunch of sources that also say this, but never elucidates with an illustrative anecdote. It was not what I was expecting.

it's a meme, but it's fun. read it in small doses.

Bump

Will the Penguin edition be better ?

Bump

>they translate the Latin for the moder reader where Burton did not immediately paraphrase it, however they refuse to translate passages in Latin concerning sex
fucking goddamn boomer prudes
you "redpilled" zoomer geeks are trying to keep this going too. Fuck off faggots

Bump

Just Google Translate the sex Latin. The fact that they left the sex parts in Latin is a boon because you can locate them on a skim. The archive.org versions of the English translated Satyricon are great for that reason!

It would have been better if every symptom of melancholy weren't diagnosed as caused by the Devil, thus every cure is to expel said Devil.

Bump

What is there to bump? Are you trying to make this a 300-post thread? Fuck off and let it die, people gave you their "thoughts."

Based trips saving this thread from the last page.

Who knows? He just went on and on about it without ever defining wtf he was talking about.

BUMP.

Fake

kek

Bump

What I expected:
A meditation on depression, mortality, and the human condition from yesteryear

What I got:
Meditations on the homosexual tendencies of Mediterranean races, really long paragraphs on ugly women, self aware rambles, imbalanced humors, and a case of the vapors

Once I gave up hope of what I expected and just went along for the weird ride the book became fun, but I still have no idea what I think of it overall.

bumping

I found a hardcover copy published by Tudor in (I think) 1927 on AbeBooks that is way more comfortable to read/hold than the NYRB paperback, and completely translates all of the Latin in the book. Might be tough to find, but if you keep an eye on AbeBooks or similar sites you can probably find it for not that much money.

Attached: 1093A2C8-BA9B-4388-A2F6-F7C2539574D8.jpg (1200x1600, 153K)