Why are we throwing it away?

why are we throwing it away?

Attached: D153210F-EBDC-469E-9CBB-114B5C38E71B.jpg (1455x1224, 1.74M)

Other urls found in this thread:

msaag.aag.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/26_Twine.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

people can't deal with their death anxiety

Whoever did that underlining needs to develop some fine motor skills, goddamn.

Because we don't use rulers when making notes. If we do not care about Beauty, then the world becomes ugly.

>(...) we do live in the best world that has ever existed.
Found the error that leads to numerous further errors in this paragraph.

Hegelian dialectics

The author should kill himself unironically, we have enough of cancerous people like this

Attached: toxic.jpg (720x562, 43K)

lol Literally how simpletons think.
>Everything is fine!
>How could people be killing themselves with more technology?
>I love my facebook group!
>Can't wait for the new Star Wars movie!
Disgusting

>mfw there are millions of bugmen reading pseud pop "science" books like this and thinking that they're becoming smart and "well read"

Attached: 38e848374.jpg (238x211, 11K)

>this is the best time to be alive in history
>because we're reducing hunger and poverty in Africa

They're great sport. Just don't get too used to pwning them because they'll make you soft.

>its best world ever
>yet its all crumbling down
hummm

Good question, OP. The Citibank memo more or less captures the economic gravity pulling people towards destruction. The upper castes want a purge but they also want cheap human workers and servants. It will be interesting to see what survives.

>muh objectivity! muh reason!
There is no such thing as reason.

It's almost like "freedom" and money aren't enough to make someone fulfilled and happy.

Is this ASS?

Attached: 2018_08_steven_pinker.jpg (790x350, 170K)

Read some Leibniz amigo

Author of this book doesn't mean it in Leibniz's sense at all. Look at the previous paragraph. His definition isn't philosophical, it's simply a reductionist-pragmatist view along the lines of "you can have a lot of ice cream for cheap and have a lot of sex without consequences, our civilization is the perfect place to live in".

yeah youre right, but it depends on what comes after this paragraph. I have no idea what book it is desu...

do people unironically read this doomer shit?

>THis IS the BESt of alL POsSIBLE WorLDS!!11!!
Because it is also the only one that exists you fucking retard.

bugmen don't read unless they are women

90% of bugmen that I know do read in general. They read very little, but it's probably near national average. If you read one Self Help book, one pop-sci book like the one in the OP or some babble by Bill Nye, and one book-about-nothing non-fic by Oprah or whatever, that's 3 books a year, and that's how much they read.

Extremely rare terror management theory poster

He's completely right, you know.

Material living standards have never been higher, and yet people seem to be unhappier than ever and getting unhappier.

Jordan links modernity's disruption of normal human behaviour to this rising unhappiness and I think he makes a pretty compelling case for the cause. His prescription I think is in the right direction, but I'd like to see it developed further and with more nuance. But I expect that's what he charges money to do, seeing as he's a psych and all. Can't just give away your expertise for free.

Also people who say that material living standards are unimportant can be ignored.

That is the most pointless underlining that I've ever seen.

>Material living standards have never been higher, and yet people seem to be unhappier than ever and getting unhappier.
It's almost as if these things are unrelated....

Because it isn't what you faggots thought it would be. You thought you could transcend human nature and create heaven on Earth, you most foolish generations. Now you'll kill yourself and everyone else and sew chaos and misery everywhere because you set yourselves against God. Repent and sin no more and you shall find true, lasting happiness.

This pretty much encapsulates all the reasons I’m an angry person.

What is a bugman? I’m new here, just turned 18.

I assume it's a synonym for "sheep" and "NPC". Basically jusy mindless people who will believe anything someone in a position of authority says.

Attached: Wwwwwwowboooy+_7b761d9410be48eebca1e7e241bf38e7.jpg (1071x800, 290K)

correlation != causation

>people are actually being nice to newfags
Holy shit
Welcome, hope you enjoy your stay here for eternity

Attached: 1556892888613.jpg (750x703, 95K)

It's the new era! Communism was never implemented properly!

Attached: d5c.jpg (297x365, 36K)

woah what are my almonds doing???

Cringe thread.

Posted from my IPhone™

His face is clearly in pain. It's sardonic. Bugmen are just the opposite of incels. They think their life is a comedy, but need to realize it's a tragedy

because people are becoming indoctrinated at an early age to believe in a certain paradigm that is very shit, and as they get older the ability to change this paradigm becomes harder and harder until you get to an old age and just blatantly refuse to change your view of the world.

This has been gooing on for centuries.

The sheep are in the majority.

>objective observation
oh no no no *breathes in* HA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHA HA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHA HA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHA HA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHA HA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHA HA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHA HA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHA HA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHA HA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHA HA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHA HA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHA HA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHA HA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHA HA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHA HA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHA

Atheism is a factor in this phenomenon, but we can't forget that mass culture and its cult of scientism is the real cause of both of them.

Thanks. How do you make the black text thingy?

It's also the fact that in western society, every men is left on his own after he turns 18. Eastern culture promotes a family-oriented lifestyle, giving some cause and a bigger picture to the people. This, however, increases tribalism, which is destructive for a more and more globalizing society.

It's not an easy problem to solve.

Ctrl+S. Unless you're a phone poster. In which case McFucking kill yourself scum.

Nice thanks I’ll try it when I switch from my telephone to my MacBook Pro.

god damn plebbit corporate shill

>bugmen who sucks at math and had an intro stats course showboating his shallw knowledge on Yea Forums

>Jordan links modernity's disruption of normal human behaviour to this rising unhappiness and I think he makes a pretty compelling case for the cause. His prescription I think is in the right direction, but I'd like to see it developed further and with more nuance. But I expect that's what he charges money to do, seeing as he's a psych and all. Can't just give away your expertise for free.
Dr. Krista Jordan, you mean? I wasn't aware she had written any books.

Attached: 1461106808.png (283x332, 249K)

Pinker triggers me, his voice, the way he speaks, and the way he looks just irritate me so much. What a clown.

> we do live in the best world that has ever existed
That pathetically ignorant thought (or, better, the dead end of thought) is the very reason for perceived or real menacing changes.

church

This. If only they could understand.

Attached: 1506887825086.jpg (500x499, 24K)

The answer is spiritual: life itself has become a problem for modern Western man. Pre-modern man (before 1800) lived but didn't question why he lived. Consider the question "Why have children?". This was not a question pre-Modern Western man would ask. The world for him was natural. It's a massive red flag when a culture begins to question the act of having children; it shows that culture no longer sees the point in living. Western Rome once faced a similar problem with declining birth rates as the West currently does, but Eastern Rome did not. The reason for this is that Western Rome was highly urbanized but Eastern Rome was largely rural. The dystopian atmosphere of huge cities where millions of humans are packed tightly together like rats in a cage gives rise to feelings of isolation and loneliness; despite there being so many humans living in close proximity to each other, people become more lonely and depressed than ever before. Western Rome suffered catastrophic depopulation not as a result of war or plague, but because its people simply weren't interested in having children. They no longer saw the value in life.

The only people who can be truly happy in the modern West are those born and raised outside of the influence of the mega cities and towns. Farmers, villagers, "provincials", those that the urban masses ridicule as backwards and uneducated, live just as pre-Modern man did, and their like will continue to live as such until the end of time because they are not subject to the rise and fall of the world-cities of great civilizations.

Crime and Punishment.

also, just looking around and seeing so many people makes ya want to make babies less. my dad had six kids. lived in the middle of no where.

>subjective perceptions have replaced objective observation
cringe

> Citibank memo
What?

I think hes talking about a bank in the UK that doesnt allow customers to withdraw more than 5k cash without a reason and approval by the bank.

general intelligence has been decreasing for the last 200 years. people have become too stupid to live in a godless world. they can't handle the burden of their own freedom.

Maybe this is the truth. People no longer exist in a middle ground between the joy of living and the struggle of surviving. People are either in denial about the harsh truths of reality and in pursuit of hedonist pleasures to the exclusion of all, or in the throes of despair at the apparent meaningless of modern life.

Do it for her, faggot.

Rumble Fish is a little pleb tier but it captures this sentiment well - and points a possible way out of the dilemma.

The one about Plutonomy vs Precariot

>People no longer exist in a middle ground between the joy of living and the struggle of surviving.
Yes, exactly. We gave forgotten about the importance if balance. Extreme views have never been very practical to actually live life.

back to 9gag u goddamn reeking nigger scum

both of those are toxic

life is gay

Unironically because without God we fall apart.

Also what book?

>subjective perceptions have replaced objective observation
>objective observation

Attached: 1498141444087.png (600x600, 155K)

kill yourself nigger lover

They believe that they are objective because they agree with popular opinions. Unpopular opinions scare unironic normalfags. I wanted to make reference to Hitler's observation that, when a lie is overwhelmingly large, challenging it challenges one's own world view - but typing all of it ruins my cadence. Is there a term that encompasses that observation?

I imagine regular dude rising out of the fetal position and going full RWDS.

What they say is utter bullshit that's why. Supposedly the world is better but we work more than ever for less than we've ever been paid. The world is in an uncertain era where no one really knows who will lead the next century and some of the front runners are disturbingly totalitarian. On the whole freedom seems reduced, choice is basically choose one from the same choices with slightly different shades of color and really no one is getting anywhere near finding real meaning in their lives.

What's the. Book's name and which. Redditor authored it?

It's Ben Shapiro's book

>The world is in an uncertain era where no one really knows who will lead the next century
America vs China.
Russia joins china and the Eu ends up getting involved.

>My mom fucked me up therefore happy people are crazy and stupud

spotted the bugman :^)

90% of these are STEM middle class that find everything in the world fine and just

Just admit that this is an attempt to cope for your fucked up dopamine receptors.

Because how else can one prove one's virtue? You have to let Muslims and/or blacks rape your daughter, there's not other way.

Jesus Christ, that’s disgusting

whoever defaced this book should be sat on by grizzly

I wonder what is that brainlet's explanation for the trend he's observing. Does he yield that this world is unequal and imperfect? Does he figure that materialism doesn't make man content?

everything IS fine, just not in our homo centric perspective tho, the time of man is coming to an end

I'm not even depressed because the state of the world. What Anons ITT have been pointing out is that you need to have

>abandon GOD (any and all)
>wonder why people feel incomplete and suicidal

reason has made us all blind, blind to the glory of god

Attached: 10572938-3x2-940x627.jpg (940x627, 31K)

so you are saying this is brave new world low class targeted literature?

Jesus Lord can you not keep your hand steady, you absolute troglodyte?

Attached: ndfff.png (800x729, 48K)

your first paragraph was very insightful but the second is fantasy. have you been to the rural areas of the US? in much of it the existential problems are worse than in the cities due to economic depression, brain drain, and severe drug problems. it's pretty naive to think that there's anywhere "outside the influence of mega cities and towns" when rural areas still use the internet like everyone else and listen to talk radio broadcasted from cities. as much as i'd like to agree with you, much of the political and cultural life of rural areas comes from the tacit understanding the the mega cities are the center of the american consciousness while hating that rural life is pushed to the margins and mocked. sure, there are a few religious/artist/hippy with a feeling of genuine Spirit, but they are extremely rare

get outta here before I make you my catamite

I don't know about the whole book, but everything written on that page is aimed at very unaware people. The one-sided reasoning (listing random upsides that appeal to a pleasure-oriented pragmatist and never mentioning the harm involved in achieving them) is something that no rationally thinking people would get tricked into.

it's more fun to throw it away than to be content. the joy of battle has robbed us of our discretion and prudence

Attached: 234523543534GFVDFGD.png (1914x935, 57K)

to be content is to be static, to be static is to be dead. This commandment is ingrained in our biological programming deeper than sex. If we are not moving we are dead

I live in rural Europe and there are many people (mostly older) here that still live in the countryside completely disconnected from the cities, they are so different in demeanor and outlook compared to city types.

PIINNNNNKEEEEEER
I'VE COME FOR YOU

Attached: der scharze schwan mit knallrotem kopf.jpg (474x284, 35K)

I can vouch for this. The urban you get, the more inhuman people begin to feel.

Urbanisation is one of mankind's great evils today. Society needs to undergo decentralisation.

>muh nature
>not embracing the inhuman
Dumb zoomers

Attached: 1539964539299.webm (700x392, 2.87M)

Read more Kafka you pleb

the world is changing, not getting worse. for every one of those things listed (even if you granted that they are "bad") you could find an equal change for the better. the entire discussion is a farce.

explain yourself right now. Name ONE way in which things are improving

you're joking, right

What book is this? Why does it read like it's written for children?

>libtads aren't children
Grow up

the author in OPs pic lists a few.

strange, because I see zero

KHAZAR MILKERS

>Western Rome suffered catastrophic depopulation not as a result of war or plague, but because its people simply weren't interested in having children. They no longer saw the value in life.
Supply sources to back up this statement.

We now have mobile phones and get to experience vivid isolation, exclusion and bullying from the day we enter elementary school. The good thing of course is that people now have plentiful access to underage girls who willing supply the net with their nude little bodies.

Being angry or upset about it is just as foolish as being one of them. I could pick up each person ITT over my head and throw them >10 feet.

msaag.aag.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/26_Twine.pdf
>[The city of Rome] population declined from about a million persons to 30,000 between the second and sixth centuries AD.
>Between the second and fourth centuries, Rome's population declined at a rate of about 2% every ten years. Between the fourth and sixth centuries, Rome declined by an average of about 5% per ten years.

Just compare the wars of early Rome to that of late Rome. In the Second Punic War, the only reason Rome was able to defeat Hannibal was because they could levy legions at a moment's notice. Trebia, Trasimene, Cannae, all devastating defeats for the Romans, but they didn't back down and simply raised more legions in response. The population at this time was continually growing and they had huge manpower reserves. Contrast this with the late Roman empire that rarely fought offensive wars and had to fill out its ranks with foreigners. It was already getting so bad by Augustus' time that he felt it necessary to impose a tax (Lex Papia Poppaea) on single men to encourage them to marry. There was even an edict passed (I spent 10 minutes trying to find the name on google but I can't remember it) in the later empire that allowed any free man to claim land that wasn't being used. Early Rome had the population growth to replace losses to war and plague, but late Rome didn't.

>Also people who say that material living standards are unimportant can be ignored
Beyond a certain point (probably just above poverty) they aren't very important to happiness

And where is the source that tells us this is a result of anti-natalism or the lack of will to procreate?

There are several reasons for this change that you fail to draw attention to.
Early rome was a peasant army, peasants were drafted for 20-40 years, and then given land when they retired. A strong stock of peasants supported the entire state. Then slowly wealth was amassed by a small group of aristocrats who founded enormous latifundia plantations that were worked by slaves, and these slowly encroached upon and suffocated the peasant class, leading to a manpower crisis (not unlike the landowner crisis in Sparta).
In the early years Rome was the heart and center of the empire, bread and grain was handed out to the populace or they would simply starve to death in droves. Towards the end of the empire Rome was symbolically significant, but it no longer had any administrative or strategic importance; the important administrative centers were located in the north (Milan, Ravenna). The huge decline in population happened during the breakup of the western Empire, from 450 and out. In this period the city was repeatedly sacked, and the regions that had supplied the city with grain (North Africa, Egypt) slipped away, thus making it impossible to keep subsidizing the enormous population. The natural consequence of the loss of supply and the loss of state stability is that people migrate in search of food and work.

Here is an excerpt from the wikipedia page.
>The decline of the city's population was caused by the loss of grain shipments from North Africa, from 440 onward, and the unwillingness of the senatorial class to maintain donations to support a population that was too large for the resources available. Even so, strenuous efforts were made to maintain the monumental centre, the palatine, and the largest baths, which continued to function until the Gothic siege of 537. The large baths of Constantine on the Quirinale were even repaired in 443; and the extent of the damage exaggerated and dramatized (according to "Rome, An Urban History from Antiquity to the Present", Rabun Taylor, Katherine W. Rinne and Spiro Kostof, 2016 pp. 160–179). However, the city gave an appearance overall of shabbiness and decay because of the large abandoned areas due to population decline. Population declined to 500,000 by 452 and 100,000 by 500 AD (perhaps larger, though no certain figure can be known). After the Gothic siege of 537, population dropped to 30,000, but had risen to 90,000 by the papacy of Gregory the Great. ("Rome, Profile of a City": 321–1308, Richard Krautheimer, p. 165.). The population decline coincided with the general collapse of urban life in the West in the 5th and 6th centuries, with few exceptions. Subsidized state grain distributions to the poorer members of society continued right through the 6th century and probably prevented the population from falling further ("Rome, Urban History", pp. 184–185.)

Jesus christ, what neurological disorder resulted in that underlining?

Did not have space to mention that the link you posted states that the population decline was directly linked to warfare and a declining economic situation. To think it was due to the death of spiritual life or lack of will to have children is a romantic but very flawed notion.

I wish it were April 1st so I could like this post

You are trying to explain it purely in materialistic casual terms and by doing so miss the real reason that Rome's population declined. The change in mentality of the Roman people reveals itself in the various laws and edicts that were passed to combat the people's unwillingness to marry and reproduce. I have already compared the Roman army of the Punic Wars, when Rome could levy legions at the drop of a hat, with the Roman army of the late empire, when they struggled to find Romans to fight.
>Early rome was a peasant army, peasants were drafted for 20-40 years, and then given land when they retired.
You're talking about the Marian reforms after which Rome had a standing army. Before that the army was levied from the population, supplied their own equipment, and were organized into units based on experience. They wanted to fight. The Marian standing army worked well for a time, but the decline of the Roman spiritual well-being would be its death.The Romans of the late empire didn't want to fight and this lead to the Germanization of the Roman army. That is nihilism. People didn't care. If the Roman spirit had been the same when Rome was sacked 5 times as it had been during the Punic Wars, it never would have been sacked at all.
I am talking about historical philosophy and not causal history, so I picked a source that provided raw data that supported my argument.

anime pusy
technology? anime pusy

Attached: 1538525772269.jpg (450x405, 68K)

So it sounds like America is western Rome late stage

>mfw i literally said SHALL NOT LIVE by bread alone

Attached: smiling-jesus.jpg (263x292, 11K)

Even primitive life was better than this , have a look at the average places people live in and how they live , its nothing special

the writer is mocking how people spend much on luxury while he think we live in the best world because of material and luxury