Is ASOIAF the best modern day fantasy series?

Name a book series better than asoiaf with just as much or even more lore with the expansive world aspect.

c1.staticflickr.com/3/2855/33912305140_f09f5c7a78_o.jpg

Attached: asoiaf.jpg (1500x602, 252K)

fantasy is for losers

the bible

Tolkien.

>thinking expansive lore means good fantasy

Attached: 51ipX0OJ4FL._SX336_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (338x499, 46K)

Asoiaf is a literary soap opera, going nowhere, no story arch or plot, killing off characters and bringing in new ones whenever the author is stuck. Im tired of it.

u r dum

Bakker's Prince of Nothing series eats GoT for breakfast. God I hate you fucking children

baaaased

Yea Forums finally convinced me I didn't like ASOIAF, but then watching the last episode of the show made me realize how much I liked George's storytelling and how much I hate the show.

>Name a book series better than asoiaf
In Search of Lost Time
>with just as much or even more lore with the expansive world aspect.
hurrr
even Tolkien's writing had more "worldbuilding"

Taken for what it is, asoiaf is a good series. It's an interesting story and has a good sense of place. Contrarians hating on it because it's not literary, or because it's not at the standard of Tolkien, are just being petty in this regard.

>doesn't write several albums worth of songs or fuck around with languages
What of it though? I think aspects of GRRM's world building are stronger than Tolkiens.

then name us a better fiction genre with knights and mediveal shite, because books like Don Quixote aren't fantasy

What's good about it?

>Tell me your favorite flavor of shit
No

The Pynchon quadrilogy

There's nothing wrong with liking it, the problem is with what society passes over in favor of it

I really have to go and read lotr again, because my own judgement is based on the last time I read it , which is about 10-12 years ago. I agree Tolkien isn't perfect, but his work is rooted in it's own reality in a way that very few other fictional are. I'd have an issue with calling it "fantasy" even, because that term has come to have so many associations with the kind of endlessly derivative shit that characterises that genre. I'm probably being pretentious here, and it's a feeling I find hard to articulate, but I get the inpression I like Tolkien for a different reason than why "fantasy" readers do. Like the type of reader I'm referring to here sees a parallel in being interested in star wars and lotr, as part of a greater "nerd culture" or some shit. Where's I feel like Ive always liked Tolkien's work more as a kind if alternate mythology to contrast with other mythological works.

Yea Forums and Yea Forums 16 year old pewdiepie subscribers get out

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

>>asoiaf is a good series
But it’s not. The first two books, maybe even the third, are OK. The last two books are crap. At this point it’s pretty clear GRRRRRM won’t produce the final two books. How you can consider a performance like this “good” only shows what low standards you have.

High quality posts