Stop Laughing

>The triumph over beauty is celebrated by humour – the Schadenfreude that every successful deprivation calls forth. There is laughter because there is nothing to laugh at. Laughter, whether conciliatory or terrible, always occurs when some fear passes. It indicates liberation either from physical danger or from the grip of logic. Conciliatory laughter is heard as the echo of an escape from power; the wrong kind overcomes fear by capitulating to the forces which are to be feared. It is the echo of power as something inescapable. Fun is a medicinal bath. The pleasure industry never fails to prescribe it. It makes laughter the instrument of the fraud practised on happiness. Moments of happiness are without laughter; only operettas and films portray sex to the accompaniment of resounding laughter. But Baudelaire is as devoid of humour as Hölderlin. In the false society laughter is a disease which has attacked happiness and is drawing it into its worthless totality. To laugh at something is always to deride it, and the life which, according to Bergson, in laughter breaks through the barrier, is actually an invading barbaric life, self-assertion prepared to parade its liberation from any scruple when the social occasion arises. Such a laughing audience is a parody of humanity. Its members are monads, all dedicated to the pleasure of being ready for anything at the expense of everyone else. Their harmony is a caricature of solidarity. What is fiendish about this false laughter is that it is a compelling parody of the best, which is conciliatory. Delight is austere: res severa verum gaudium. The monastic theory that not asceticism but the sexual act denotes the renunciation of attainable bliss receives negative confirmation in the gravity of the lover who with foreboding commits his life to the fleeting moment. In the culture industry, jovial denial takes the place of the pain found in ecstasy and in asceticism. The supreme law is that they shall not satisfy their desires at any price; they must laugh and be content with laughter. In every product of the culture industry, the permanent denial imposed by civilisation is once again unmistakably demonstrated and inflicted on its victims. To offer and to deprive them of something is one and the same.

Attached: ta.jpg (250x333, 17K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Zk0coCISibA
vocaroo.com/i/s1QAVLP17F9z
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Hahaha! *take off my pants and begin to masturbate* AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! AAAAAAAAAAAAA! THE CULTURE INDUSTRY IS HELL, HELP ME HELP ME. ALL THE PEOPLE AROUND ME ARE JUST TOOLS USED BY A CONSTANTLY ACCELERATING ABSTRACTION, EVEN THE 'ANTI-CAPITALISTS'. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

Attached: year.png (398x402, 169K)

in which books Adorno writes most about culture and the decline of it?

>g*rmans

Adorno definitely never had sex

And that's a good thing

This. celibacy enriches mind, if incels stop jacking off, many of them would definitely achieve greatness.

Stop watching movies.

>Every visit to the cinema, despite the utmost watchfulness, leaves me dumber and worse than before. They [sound films] are so designed that quickness, powers of observation, and experience are undeniably needed to apprehend them at all; yet sustained thought is out of the question if the spectator is not to miss the relentless rush of facts.

Attached: tumblr_ldhe6getR01qzpggio1_500.jpg (500x569, 102K)

Actually I had a professor who know him through conferences and whatnot. He saw himself as a bit of a playboy and he'd hit on all the ladies. True story

Fuck, that's actually insightful.

Adorno is a big-brained Ashkenazi BVLL, shegetz

In that case, Adorno was clearly making provisions for himself

>as negative confirmation in the gravity of the lover who with foreboding commits his life to the fleeting moment

Who knows

>the pain found in ecstasy

>“During one particularly harrowing moment, Hannah was describing a moment of violence that was all too familiar to women, particularly those in the LGBTIQ community,” McCann wrote. “The room was silent. Then, a lone male voice from the back of the room shouted ‘Where’s the bloody jokes?'”

>According to McCann, the audience, which included a large contingent of women from a Canberra queer women’s group, immediately shouted down the heckler.

>“Everyone is yelling,” she recalled. “One amazing woman who looked like she could snap me like a twig jumps up from her seat in front of us and was looking back into the crowd as if she was personally going to go find the guy. All the frustration and repressed anger of the night unleashed at once.”

>“Through all this Hannah is standing on the stage, mic in hand, waiting out the crowd’s anger,” McCann continued. “Here’s this woman who is telling the most viscerally sad and confronting story I’d ever heard on stage and this one guy thought he was entitled enough to interject. I’d be furious.”

>“She wasn’t. When she eventually speaks it’s to direct the ushers to remove him. ‘I don’t want you here,’ she says, calmly. ‘I’ll donate the money from your ticket to a charity that helps victims of domestic violence. Get out, mate.’ Then she went straight back into her set.”

Attached: DontLaugh.jpg (187x281, 30K)

>One amazing woman who looked like she could snap me like a twig jumps up from her seat in front of us and was looking back into the crowd as if she was personally going to go find the guy.
>WHEECH EEOONE EEV YOUEES GEOOTS DUH BLEEOODYY SEEKKKRET JEOKES!!!

Attached: itztime.jpg (773x897, 239K)

*laughs*
Good one, Adorno

Any turn of phrase like that instantly brings Duke Orsino to my mind. Sex between lovers is serious goodness of course, but I've always found much more foreboding of disaster in how madly I lose to comedy about marriage: That I could have never gone that route must be what makes me a happier camper than any half of a couple I know. And the comings and goings of Eros being what they are, I feel sorry for people who never wax rhapsodic, not even in instrumental listening. That's no way to live, whether or not comic relief works for the worst of it.

At the same time, Adorno is coming from a different world than us. Driven out of his country and in some sense his identity, he famously wrote, "there can be no poetry after Auschwitz." Living under the threat of nuclear war he subtitled Minima Moralia: "reflections from a damaged life." It's no wonder he doesn't take solace in rhapsodies. Everything conspired around him to annihilation as he saw it, and there were very fine margins for pulling ourselves out of it, which required not retreating into instantaneous gratification as purpose. Apparently he liked to fuck though so had to make it some somber ritual of it's 'negating affirmation.'

Even Adorno would have to laugh:
youtu.be/Zk0coCISibA

Attached: stoplaughing.jpg (436x639, 77K)

It's so disgusting, the way he puts it. He must have been an insufferable asshole.
The ability to laugh, first of all, at oneself, and one's problems, is an expression of humility and probably the most important quality of a decent human being. And, vice versa, total lack of a sense of humor is often a sign of diabolic pride.

Who are you quoting?
>inb4 lmgtfy.com
Fuck your whore mother, just post the gay link you pulled this lame convo from, or shove it up your ass next time instead of posting. Thank you

Attached: 1515167414347.jpg (512x810, 47K)

I find it very difficult to imagine life from a perspective like that, since by nature and background I'm as settled and "secure in introspection" as Elizabeth Bishop said of meditative poets like Stevens. In particular, I never think about purpose except in terms of motive, or drive, and use the word only in the sense of specific projects. For instance, my purpose in assembling a home network for computationally intensive graphics may be to make abstract expressionist animations, but I am driven to do so by the same youthful responsiveness I have to florid natural scenery, which a mostly leisurely life has preserved well into late middle age. Stevens would have understood perfectly why I behave that way at home, since he was just as deliberate in all his domestic arrangements.

HONK HONK!!

Attached: honk honkler.png (680x680, 221K)

That's what Adorno is writing about. How something as basic to humanity as laughter can be co-opted to keep people miserable and exploitable.

Attached: 1548490146645.jpg (1000x1000, 71K)

>Laughter leads to Auschwitz
at last i truly see

Attached: that way.jpg (320x320, 23K)

Didnt Adorno himself enjoy some dumb comedy show

Just highlight the text then right click and search.

Attached: boom.jpg (2290x1526, 207K)

>Moments of happiness are without laughter; only operettas and films portray sex to the accompaniment of resounding laughter.

This guy must not have had much sex in his life. Probably not that many friends aswell.

>But Baudelaire is as devoid of humour as Hölderlin.

Although Baudelaire is no comical writer you must have read him superficially to say he's completely devoid of humour. Also

>using Baudelaire as a reference for sex

absolutely suicidal.

Interesting analysis but a bit lacking in nuance with some genuine retarded remarks. So usual Adorno I guess ?

vocaroo.com/i/s1QAVLP17F9z

Beauty is not a particularly valuable variable.

who are you quoting. tell me who you are quoting right now. don't dumb it down into some vague shit or i will fucking kill you.

Adorno's daughter.

based poundstone-poster

pretty good, but Adorno was a Germ

one should not be able to produce laughter in a post-holocaust world
the holocaust deprived the world of laughter. there is nothing to laugh about in the wake of the greatest tragedy humanly imaginable - the death of six million of gods chosen

retard

Any medium that contains duration refuses to admit any thought, let alone continuous thought. In the same way that abstract thought must be suspended in order to appreciate music properly, i.e. during the symphony, it must be suspended in order to appreciate a film properly. Thought represses full perception.

he was Sephardic tho