Who is the best Latin author?

Who is the best Latin author?

Attached: 220px-Josephusbust.jpg (220x329, 19K)

Stylistically or in terms of interesting literary merits?

Cicero for style. Ovid for fun.

Both

When it comes to poetry Virgil, lucretius, catullus and Horace are the best. Particularly virgils georgiks.
In prose Seneca and Caesar.
Caesar particularly for me, considering his personal greatness of deeds and the polish of his language, which is certainly better than any other historian, but maybe even better than Cicero.

futue, incellus

Ovid was widely considered to be a better poet than Virgil at the time, and Virgil got the nod for the Aeneid mostly because Ovid was a philanderer who pissed Augustus off and got himself exiled to the coast of Romania. Metamorphoses all the way.

Well that may be so, I'm just talking about my own preferences though.

I got Josephus's nose.

I did like the Metamorphoses more than the Aeneid, but the georgiks are better than both.

Will have to crack them open; I've only ever read the Aeneid out of Virgil.

Though--having read Horace--I have to say that pastoral poetry isn't my thing. It's to poetry what still lifes are to painting--you can admire the technical skill and read the deeper meaning, but at the end of the day it just isn't all that compelling.

Others' milage will vary.

Yeah it's true they don't have nearly the action or drama as aeneid or metamorphoses, but I find them to be very comfy. A matter of tastes I guess.

Basatus et ruberpastellum

i've only read Ovid but i recommend him

Depends what you want to read. Poetry (epic, pastoral, lyrical, dramatic), philosophy, history, law, etc.?

Augustine, Aquinas, Erasmus, and Cicero

>Caesar
>polished language
what in the actual fuck
are you referring to the latin prose or the translations??

The latin

Is the Metamorphoses worth reading in translation? I'd be reading a Spanish translation, since that language is closer to Latin than English, but even then, would I be missing out on too much of it?

>Horace

wew puer

Definitely still worth reading

Okay, thanks!

Better read than not to read, but better read how it was conceived