Should I seriously read this?

>didn't start with the greeks
I went straight into Evola/Nietzsche/Guenon/Spengler when first getting into literature. Should I go back and start over with Plato?

Attached: therepublic.jpg (800x1296, 459K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/nVQKbQVc2_w
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

you've already lost

Start with the Five Dialogues collection

you gotta reread all that shit except for the traditionalist

Could I start with the last days of socrates? I hear that's good

What do you have to lose from reading it? Every retard undergrad has read it user its not hard

No shit
All of those people are in one way or another responding to Plato
The Republic is arguably the most important work of political philosphy in history

>I went straight into Evola/Nietzsche/Guenon/Spengler

this

Read it and watch this along side it.
youtu.be/nVQKbQVc2_w
After which you will probably need to re-read all of those people, since they are all building off Plato.

Btw forgot to add
Starting with the Greeks isnt a meme its always said for a reason, philosophy is all building blocks, if you dont start with the foundation how do you expect to fully comprehend the roof tiles? Sorry for the shitty analogy.

Since you have to ask to make yourself do it, don't bother with Plato yet.

Most of the republic is shit you only need some of it (this goes for most of his dialogues)
Read Meno -> Phaedo -> Republic -> Sophist -> Parmenides but you really only need like 10 pages of each of them

yeah this is the impression I get from skimming the book

A lot of it looks redundant since a lot of it is ingrained in culture probably

you scared of a book? read it.

I find aristotle's ideas are more so ingrained into the western education system at least.

PARMENIDES

Attached: 1545541208407.jpg (1024x756, 238K)

I would suggest you to start with Meno. It's much shorter and easier.

That is one of his more difficult dialogues

>I would suggest you to start with Meno. It's much shorter and easier.
dude thank you for the suggestion, I found a $5 copy of it and ordered it. I didn't feel like reading through the republic right now

honestly it’s better to have read those dudes first than to have started plato and gotten bored.

Which would be the best editions of Republic and other playing work? In terms of quality and translation

Yes, once you know everything you can then know anything.

your understanding of plato would be tainted by all that trash you read so there's really no point desu

I think you should read plato anyway because he's fun to read

I hope you'll like it. It's a good entry point into Plato work.

No. Just go to Nietzsche.