Is it possible for a book to be comfy?

Is it possible for a book to be comfy?
(most stories revolve around a conflict, and that's not comfy)

Attached: 1553908054671.jpg (1500x1500, 189K)

Other urls found in this thread:

sfa-auvillar.com/GOUT/2012_03_vienne_autriche/documents/le-diner-de-babette_ENGLISH.pdf
youtu.be/idT98H8TK-U
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

no not really, that's not what books are about. That's what YA is about.

dang. is there maybe a treatise on the nature of comfort?

on a second thought guess you can find some comfort in Tove Jansson but even that has a dark foundation. Maybe read The Brothers Lionheart too.

When I imagine heaven it starts off with me having sex with an attractive women. It then moves on to me laying in bed with an attractive women, who I'm in love with, holding each other. Soon I just want to hold onto the heat her body is radiating and lie in bliss with her. Then it jumps to me wanting to lose my physical body and just feel an ethereal warmth while also feeling the comfort of not being alone

Hmm, are you an introvert, or extrovert? I have wondered if the idea of comfort is different between the two.

I'm not entirely sure. I like being a hermit but the second I'm in a social situation I'm extroverted

Read more. There are great comfy works of literature. Not everything has to be Edgelord or dark to be great. If you want a recommendation this is a fairly great comfy short story
sfa-auvillar.com/GOUT/2012_03_vienne_autriche/documents/le-diner-de-babette_ENGLISH.pdf

Attached: 0C726A6D-B61B-41E2-826F-F28C337633A9.jpg (1280x1200, 445K)

YA are books.

enneagram 5 with a 4 wing. INTP MB

I have devised a theory for the idea of comfort, but I am not sure if it is entirely sound. I think comfort is the presence of danger, but the knowledge of security. For instance: rain, to one unprepared, could be very dangerous. To someone inside a warm house, however, the danger can be seen, yet safety is still assured. This is why watching rain, snow, or even the night from within your home is comfortable.
There is one problem that I see, however. A prison has a presence of danger, yet that danger is contained. This should then mean that prisons are comfortable, but they are not. Was my line of reasoning incorrect from the start?

Prisons don't feel nice to stay in. If I was watching the rain from a shitty cement floor, I wouldn't feel very comfy.

I think you're right but your forgetting how important warmth and blankets are. Also if you're in prison your probably worried someone might kick your head in tomorrow

I meant prison from the perspective of a visitor. I suppose I was not clear on that. And, yes, I understand that warmth is comforting, but I want to know why. Maybe the answer to that is more biological, but it could be extrapolated further and shed light into the reasoning behind personal preference in comfort.

I found the hobbit / Fellowship to be fairly cozy, especially the beginnings and resting points.

I agree. Think of sleeping with someone you love. Not sexually but just having them in the same bed. It’s so enjoyable because your letting them be near your in your most vulnerable helpless state but having the security and knowledge and trust in them. In conclusion, fuck I’m so goddanm lonely please help

we're all gonna make it user

Write down what you want to fix and devise a plan. It might be uncomfortable but I believe in you friend.

I think it's true that felling protected
it's a part of comfort, but I'm not sure is watching the danger is, I can't think of another possible scenario were you feel comfort while watching something that might hurt you besides you're example of rain.
there are places were you experience danger and the feel of safeness, like a safari or a rollercoaster, but you doesn't feel comfortable in them, it's more like excitement.
I believe a comfy scenario it's one where you feel not only safe but fine with the state of everything surrounding you, a feeling of poise or balance, in which you feel you can stay there as long as you want.
I think the rain in the comfy scenario it's just there for aesthetics

a lot of books are comfy. the acting of reading in itself is comfy! just read a book, especially a long book, and you'll be comfy. the chart posted in this thread doesn't seem ideal as a starting point though lol. i recommend murakami to start

Perhaps prisons aren't comfy because they aren't familiar even if they feel safe.

Prisons are the next stage of comfort as in dread. Maybe your safe in you cell for the night but you know you’ll have to leave and interact with murders and rapist on the daily

>Maybe your safe in you cell for the night but you know you’ll have to leave and interact with murders and rapist on the daily

You just described all major American cities

Perhaps you're onto something here.. What do prisons and major American cities have in common?

I think that the feel of comfort is much more about having shelter (probably an evolutionary gift where the humans that seeked shelter inside a cave for example had more chance of surviving from the cold or animals than the ones that felt better exposed) and not from seeing the danger supressed.
Thats why you feel more conforted when inside a cabin in the woods surrounded by wolf howls and crickets than from seeing a caged wolf in the zoo, even though the zoo is probably safer.

Attached: IMG_20190413_194454_565.jpg (1080x1189, 40K)

Yeah if its an audiobook

I find the oral narrative style in a lot of African lit to be comfy. Try Wizard of the Crow

a winter's tail isn't comfy at all imo, it's heavy as shit for a comedy

First one that came to my mind was East of Eden

>The Brothers Lionheart
>children die from illness and fire
>comfy

Ehrm, user...

I was wondering why rain or fireplace is comfy, and it seems to me that the reason is sound. Both produce an ambient soundtrack to daily life that fills the void of silence people try to escape all the time. The same goes for strong winds, lightnings, ocean waves.

I want something as cozy as this youtu.be/idT98H8TK-U

Which Murakami? Ryu Murakami or H. Murakami? I have been reading Kafka on the shore and it is very comfy, but also a compelling read. I just finished 4 chapters tonight

Black gentlemen of culture only impoverished due to systemic racism?

Proust is super comfy

yes, I mean most of the book is comfy. Just not that part.

Hobbit

Attached: Hobbit_Tove-Jansson.jpg (489x717, 275K)

if those books are comfy I'm not exactly sure what comfy is. Comfy is a word usually used at Yea Forums which is full of losers who just want to consume and forget about their lame lives.

Henry D. Thoreau and Haruki Murakami are comfy

The Plague by Camus is a really comfy read.

Light verse - Edward Lear, Elliot's cat book, some Auden anthologies; a lot of Romantic poetry by minor poets from Brazil who haven't been trans. into English; some Voltaire stories; some Plato dialogues; At Swim-Two-Birds etc.

>)

Attached: 14532204335570.jpg (805x592, 96K)

[the Scottish play] is very comfy to me, though to explain why I find it so is not simple.

Attached: 71bGkXbSUUL.jpg (670x1087, 142K)

I think generally fantasy can be a comfy genre sometimes. Especially ones that revolve around worldbuilding. Harry might have had to go get the sorcerer's stone, but reading about quidditch in bed as a 9 year old was max comfy.

Banana Yoshimoto?
Always made me feel I'm OK and everything is going to be fine.
I know it's quite pop culture, but who cares I'm a weeb anyway

yes, I agree. and, to expand on that, those sounds all have in common their lack of surprise. If comfort is security, then a surprising sound is not comfy, whereas a sound that will remain unchanged with certainty is.

Attached: 220px-Vineland.jpg (220x325, 24K)

>HURR DURR IF THERES CONFLICT YOU CANT BE COMFY
Being comfy amidst/despite a conflict is the ultimate form of comfy.
Prove me wrong. Oh what's that, you can't? YOU can't because i am 100% correct? Well then. I believe we're done here.

If you ever truly had a woman, you'd know that this is an immense illusion.

guy wasn't even hurr durring you piece of shit, how can someone go hurr durr if he's looking for comfy books, he's just asking

yeah, that's gonna be a cringe from me lad. Maybe have sex? hahah.

Attached: basedkaw.jpg (250x250, 23K)

Adding to this, Watership Down is a classic from my childhood.

try heroin, it's exactly what you just described

ive had sex, whats your point anons?

cope

>rain

It absolutely is Reddit weather though
Rain is the weather for normies who like to think they're deep and smart, but who's understanding of intelligence ends at 'smart people are sad sometimes right?', and so when it rains they sit staring out the window in faux melancholy, sipping tea which they don't like the taste of trying to think of times they've felt pain in the past, but because they've led such sheltered, cotton-balled lives they just settle for putting on a frowny face and acting out what glum might look like if you explained 'glum' to an infant and told them to act it out
Fucking Reddit ruined rain

this is something I honestly needed to hear at 17, but on a bigger level truly understand. Pretty based.

Maybe you have forgotten that different people have different temperaments.

I never wrote anything about melancholy. In fact, rain makes me happier than it does sad. Also, I was referring to the idea of comfort, and not the appearance of intelligence.

Seconding Mason and Dixon. That book was like being wrapped in a warm blanket and fed cider.

You LET Reddit ruin rain for you.
Get off the internet, it's killed your ability to have a sincere reaction to nature.

Tolstoy’s style of storytelling is incredibly comfy (the content of his stories notwithstanding), reading him feels like sitting in front of a fireplace while your grandfather tells you a story.

>most stories revolve around a conflict, and that's not comfy
You said books but you meant novels.
Lyrical Ballads is comfy.

I found this comfy

Attached: 01.jpg (220x343, 19K)

Wodehouse is your guy.

Danger was the wrong word. Conflict is better, but still not quite there. I think it's more like the freedom from obligation. If you were in the rain or on the sea you'd have to cope with it, if your partner wakes up you'll have to talk, if it wasn't Saturday I'd be at work. The obligation doesn't have to be punishing. Comfort isn't the same as full-on relief.

The vicarious experience of conflict in the book you're reading is another thing. The joke of The Hobbit is that the hero would prefer to be in our place, reading about adventures, than daring death in the middle of them.

yes. Indian nocturne by Antonio Tabucchi

Read some Steinbeck, Tortilla Flat and Cannery Row are both exceedingly comfy.

Parts of Proust are extremely comfy. Imagine being a 6-year old boy upstairs in your room waiting for your mom to come kiss you goodbye and tuck you in and read you a story. Now imagine this scene drawn out for 30 pages.

Also, Platero and I is extremely comfy. I believe it's the only attempt at prose that the spanish poet and Nobel laureate Juan Ramon Gimenez ever finished.

Stoner was comfy as fuck tbqhwyf