He reads translations

>he reads translations

Attached: 1545753044339.jpg (275x275, 13K)

> he writes translations

stale meme that will only get (you)s from people agreeing with (you)

>he reads books where the linguistic nuances are more important than the ideas behind them

Attached: D6F76472-63AB-41CE-BBA8-F6C98A3015B8.jpg (478x718, 29K)

>he reads
stopped reading forever right there

>He thinks his half-assed study of a third language littered with six-month gaps and two weeks in the country struggling to order food will allow him to interpret a book just as well as a translator who makes that their livelihood and spends years on a single text

>want to read Kierkegaard
>learn Danish
>finish Kierkegaard
>can't use Danish anymore
Yeah I'll stick to translation

Attached: 1556763423086.gif (28x28, 2K)

>he concieves of reading in terms of obfuscatory spatial metaphores

>he has eaten a dicktionary for breakfast

Attached: 42500A4B-6C00-496D-BF3E-687D6CDC9EF0.jpg (690x517, 137K)

Reading a novel in its original language which is your native = watching a movie in IMAX quality
Reading a translation of a foreign novel = watching a remake of a movie
Reading a novel in it's original language which isn't your native = watching a camrip
Reading translated poetry = watching a Bollywood remake shot on low budget

This meme is stupid because it either implies the op is fluent in Greek, Latin, Italian, French, German, French, etc. or he only reads works in English and maybe a couple other languages he knows.

Fuck off Pajeet

>reading the shitty original instead of the based translation which improves on it in every way

>he advocates "looking behind" language but in the end comments on vocabulary only. his ambition to engage with "underlying" ideas suddenly gone, he slinks away into the welcoming darkness of his mother jungle like some sort of penis snake, leaving behind only an idealized self-portrait.

aka
>I only read anglo literature because it’s the only lenguage I know *eats mcdonalds* *sips red bull*

Imagine being this shallow. The form is undetachable from the idea. Imagine ignoring the poetic implications of form and structure. Go read Harry Potter filthy niiggeer.

It's okay to read translations if you simply treat them as original works.
I didn't read Homer's Iliad, I've read Robert Fagles' Iliad, inspired by the work of Homer

Attached: 7kbbccbc.jpg (564x483, 23K)

Should of read Pope's Iliad

All literature is an impure translation of the authors thoughts

The author's thoughts are messy and blurry and all over. Literature brings it together.

I've told your stupid ass that you were full of shit about this before and you still are
A work of art is not supposed to be the unblemished thoughts of the author you dumb cunt, it is a separate entity inescapably tied to the form itself