"Why is almost every robust healthy boy with a robust healthy soul in him, at some time or other crazy to go to sea?"

>"Why is almost every robust healthy boy with a robust healthy soul in him, at some time or other crazy to go to sea?"

I was reading some Moby Dick, and this question jumped out at me--from the page to my brain.

Attached: Moby_tee_03.jpg (1000x1000, 57K)

When I was young we used to lived at the city outskirts, when there are still fields and groves beyond the road. I'd always look outside my window during the evening, when the lights of gargantuan factories and antennas would turn up in the distance. I would gaze and think "Oh how much I wish I could travel into unknown lands".

I still do, but I've got unfinished business.

Attached: G._Caillebotte_-_Jeune_homme_à_la_fenêtre.jpg (1095x1600, 269K)

We all came from there. Seems as likely an answer as any to me.

And we also roamed far and wide

Attached: EBD35743-7BAE-413B-9DB2-239A7CF0B486.jpg (1500x1605, 328K)

Sense of adventure and a good way to cut the umbilical cord, to go as a boy and return as a man.

we all want to find the unknown
we all have the voice calling for adventure in the corner of our mind
but not all of us have the guts to listen to it

After reading Moby Dick has wanted to become a sailor. Really powerful book.
But yea the see is so vast and it connects the hole world, of course you would want to explore it at some point.

as a person who grew up by the sea and surrounded by boats, I can guarantee you 100% that the vast majority of people who say shit like that ("huhh muh sea so romantic and mysterious") are the first ones to get freaked out by the ocean.
humans are land animals, we're not built for life in the water, our way of swimming is goofy as fuck and extremely clumsy by nature standards, as a species we are just not built to thrive in water and in fact we have never done so.
what people in this thread are referring to is a generic, featureless sense of adventure and "exploring the unknown" that can applied to literally everything, "the sea" is just a placeholder for this universal human feeling, in reality most humans will get tired of vast, empty expanses of water pretty quickly.

Thrist, mainly. Men desire indigenous coastal women whose men are easily overcome at arms and can be readily rendered into enslaved Eunuchs.
This. We are aquatic apes who swam the Mediterranean from Africa and became the foundational hominids back when Britain and Scandinavia were both African colonies.
We need to bring back initiatory rites. Castrating boys publicly and with great fanfare would help prepare them for modern society.

Sea and sky are the physical epitomes of freedom, having emanated from the natural freedom of water and air. The child is freest of all, hence the spiritual affinity.

Attached: YKK.png (800x1152, 1.13M)

Good points, user. The ocean is pretty breathtaking, terrifying, requiring a daunting set of chores and foreknowledge to merely survive. I do like to romanticize about periods when fisheries were healthier and we're so bountiful it is a challenge to believe accounts of harvesting from them a century or more ago.

I completely get that and I might have rambled a bit in my previous post.
I guess what I wanted to say was that people who excessively romanticize the sea are often projecting their longing for adventure onto something that is essentially very hostile to human presence.
romanticizing the image of the sea or the ocean is one thing, but actually living it is a very rough existence, even today. I say this perhaps with a bit of bitterness because I've seen many people who claimed to feel so deeply attracted to the sea get tired of it once you leave coastal waters. life on the high seas will take its toll on any human being in the end, even those who are born into that life. many just don't realize what the reality of sea life is and will attach other, unrelated feelings to that image, perhaps because the sea still remains a terrifying mystery to us.

in the end I completely get the fascination with the sea, but I can't help but finding it somehow devoid of any real meaning in many cases.

>We are aquatic apes
we're not by any stretch of the imagination
>who swam the Mediterranean from Africa
we didn't, when the migrations from Africa occurred 60.000 years ago Earth looked basically the same as today, we just walked from Egypt to Eurasia.
>and became the foundational hominids
No such thing as foundational hominid exists outside of Africa and what you might be referring to happened millions of years before

I CONCUR, ALTHOUGH, I THINK THAT THERE IS ALSO A SOMATIC FACTOR: A CRAVING FOR SALT.

NOBLER BODIES ARE MORE ELECTRIC THAN IGNOBLE BODIES, REQUIRING MORE ELECTROLYTES, AND GREATER PRODUCTION OF NEUROTRANSMITTERS, THEREFORE, NOBLE BODIES ARE IN PERPETUAL ELECTROSOMATIC DEFICIT, WHICH MANIFESTS AS AN URGE TO INGEST UMAMI FOODS, AND BEVERAGES, AND AS AN ATTRACTION TOWARD GREAT BODIES OF SALTWATER.

Attached: FF914491-AE6C-4C5F-8EC0-083433328D69.png (1187x1920, 710K)

>Castrating boys publicly and with great fanfare would help prepare them for modern society.
But there'd be no more society if we castrated all the boys.

This reminds me of the feeling of apptness/fulfillment I had when I purposely, or accidentally, tasted/drank seawater whilst swimming: the environment was always in playful synergy with my activity. Also, I could never force myself to imagine how drinking nonexcessive amounts of seawater could be unpleasant to my senses, which is something that I would always attempt to rationalize when the topic was brought up in various movies.

Attached: Niger_Red-876.jpg (1280x853, 676K)

I believe it was Joseph Conrad who said that young men joined the navy as a rite of passage.

We came from God.
Not the sea.

god I wish that were me

The sea has gods of its own..

The Ocean is God's face.

have you been a seaman or are you just butthurt for no reason

"life on the high seas"

What's that like user?

Air and fire are masculine elements, earth and water feminine. The sea represents feminine mystery. The tides follow the moon, much like menstrual cycles. There are depths that can’t be seen from the surface, since women are incomprehensible.

I can verify this. Wiccan women (females) will cover their snizzes in sacred mud that they cook with menses, which is pretty feminine if you ask me