Solicitations consist of milking Hellboy, Snydershit originally from Amazon, licenseshit minis...

>Solicitations consist of milking Hellboy, Snydershit originally from Amazon, licenseshit minis, and Black Hammer which is ending since Lemire has an exclusive deal at Image
What the fuck went wrong?

Attached: Dark_Horse_Comics_logo.svg.png (1200x1777, 65.26K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_media_franchises
hollywoodreporter.com
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Also didn't Miller take Sin City with him for his own publishing company to be run by Dan Didio?

The whole history of Dark Horse is one of failing upwards with the help of having the Star Wars license. I'm afraid they're in their twilight years

didn't they get sold to some snownigger company?

Yep

You forgot
>Bendis

They still have Berserk for now, don't they?

>Brian Michael Bendis was born on August 18, 1967 in Cleveland, Ohio to a Jewish-American family. Bendis grew up in University Heights where, despite rebelling against a religious upbringing, he attended the Hebrew Academy of Cleveland, a private, modern Orthodox religious school for boys

Manga and art books keep them relevant

>The whole history of Dark Horse is one of failing upwards with the help of having the Star Wars license. I'm afraid they're in their twilight years

They're fourth in manga publishers and seventh on western publishers on Bookscan

I don't think it was Star Wars alone that helped it (though it and other licensed titles definitely helped, Aliens probably got them through the black-and-white market bust), whenever it was that they decided to get into manga also helped save them.

So they're guaranteed to be Nintendo 's Archie/IDW, right tendiebros?

>They're fourth in manga publishers
I mean, there are only like 6 relevant manga publishers in America so that's not super impressive.

They'll be fine, they still do okay off the back of manga localization and videogame artbooks

The Arms comic got canceled
Dark Horse doesn't do long term licenses anymore

Relative to western publishers, it is impressive since Dark Horse would get money from both manga and western comics since they're under one roof, and some people were trying to imply Dark Horse is on its way out.

They sold 596K books in their manga part and 307K in their western part. Combining them gets to 903,000 which means to only publishers outperforming them (western and manga) are Penguin Random House, HarperCollins, Scholastic, Yen Press, Kodansha, and Viz.

I'm not convinced Dark Horse is in their twilight years yet, since they're probably doing better than IDW. But losing some stuff should be a concern to them.

Sometimes they have other creator owned books.

All these dudes should just task me to make my graphic novels for them. Those fuckers want kino? I'd give em kino.

Embracer owns them and now they also own the western side of Square-Enix. Where is my Deus Ex and Tomb Raider Comickino

Attached: 188b157e01416ac55487e4cee61a5a81.jpg (400x624, 86.09K)

Was losing the Square Enix license a big blow? I was under the impression those Final Fantasy artbooks were a big seller for them.

Reprints soon I hope.

>more generic licenseshit
Dark Horse already did Tomb Raider comics based on NuLara
They were mediocre to bad

Attached: 1598413164826.jpg (1005x1333, 114.96K)

Bring him back!

Attached: SR1-comic-pg1.png (1000x1542, 2.99M)

bro i'm still impressed how fucking bad Marvel did to not even be in the list of western publishers

Attached: 20220503_121419.jpg (869x743, 89.8K)

Could be cool with the right creative team but I doubt there's an audience for it

Embracer also owns Gearbox and THQ
I know Dark Horse is a recent acquisition but it's not like we're seeing comics based on their IPs being made

Licenseshit isn't saving IDW
Licenseshit isn't gonna make Dark Horse relevant again (let's be honest, they don't really need saving even if they're heading the Udon direction except they can actually make good comics in house)

Seems like a waste. TV shows based on games seem to do pretty well, why do comic adaptations don't?

I don't know for sure if it was; it probably hurt them a little.

According to the Hibbs' Bookscan analysis, Dark Horse had gains for both manga and western in 2021. They're still relying on licenses for their western part; their number one selling book in that department was a Minecraft comic and second place was an Avatar: The Last Airbender comic (and other Avatar books took places 3, 4, 6-8, 10, 11, and 13 on Dark Horse's top books).

Plus I found it odd Paul Tobin was listed as an author whose books sold more than 100K copies in 2021, but his books didn't chart the Top 750, but it turns out he's written a lot of Plants vs Zombies books for Dark Horse which probably does well even if they didn't chart the top 750 this year.

>SE sold her off to THQ Nordic
F

Yeah I don't know what the fuck just happened there. And don't forget, 2021 was when they had multiple Marvel films released.

Wasn't it just adaptation rights that Embracer bought?

How are the Conan Dark Horse comics?

Good if they're by Busiek or Truman or Thomas

Bad if it's Brian Wood

I haven't read the others yet to form an opinion

>do pretty well
In what world?

Meh, at least I know that since they are obsessed with remastering everything I know I'll be playing the previous two trilogies on my ps4 soon enough.

Dead Horse has been a garbage publisher for the past decade... nothing of value was lost.

No, they paid like 300 millions for the complete rights for like over 30 IPs(including GEX). The steal of the century.

Licensed comics work period if they satisfy the following
>Is there an active fanbase for this IP let alone that would read comics?
>Does this licensed comic remind or even accentuates to the reader why they love the IP to begin with?
>Is there something in this comic that the reader can't get anywhere else from the IP?
>If canon to the source material, do the stories not feel like filler?
>Is there a sizable talent pool willing and eager to work on this IP as a licensed comic?
Otherwise they come across as well, filler
Glorified cheaply made accessories
Lower than direct to DVD movies
Even comics that do satisfy the criteria and do attain a fanbase have to consider that not every reader is a buyer
Someone already buys comics to begin with is more likely to purchase a licensed comic
IDW Sonic is discussed a lot and has really diehard fans but it sells far less than you expect because the audience it appeals to are licenseshitters who don't read anything else or had any interest in comics prior

Arcane, Cuphead, Halo, Castlevania,... Most might be shit but they make numbers.

And then SE admitted they're just investing the money in Games as a Service and blockchain shit lmao

This only makes me think western comics is a doomed medium, and nothing more than a breeding ground for stories that other mediums will adapt.

Adaptations aren't inherently bad
It's bad when it comes off as a detriment to the comic itself
I'd love to see more animated adaptations to help prove to people comics are more than licenses and capes
Do I want every comic to be adapted?
Fuck no, but a better synergy between the two would make for a better community and board

I assumed we were talking about Dark Horse since the OP is about Dark Horse and DH used to make Tomb Raider comics

>Gex
Fuck it, Mark Russell doing a Gex comic
It'll sell like shit but it'll be worth it

Embracer Group is a pretty diversified business so I get the confusion

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_media_franchises
>Tomb Raider: 2.29 billion

Attached: 1639870828530.jpg (569x496, 94.72K)

The Marvel games bombed THAT badly for SE to jettison them off

How much did they pay for DH?

I like how this discussion looped back to comic stuff lol

Dark Horse manga relies on classics, I couldn't name 3 manga they picked up in the last 5 years

This is the best article about it but it doesn't include the cost of the sale. Maybe it was embarrassingly low. lol
>hollywoodreporter.com › ...
Why Dark Horse Embraced a Sale to a Swedish Gaming Giant

www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/dark-horse-comics-sale-embracer-1235067627/amp/

So how were the classic DH tomb raider comics?

Still those classic Bersek Deluxe editions were something else I see them selling basically everywhere that sells books. They’ve also been pumping out more omnibus reprints which is a plus

They said in a Q&A they're looking to do more transmedia stuff with their IT'S
It's why they also got Asmodee for board games
They'll probably have Dark Horse be like how Legendary works their comic division
Hopefully this doesn't kill what original titles there still are (granted Mike can just take Hellboy with him)

*their IPs

thq nordic is better than square enix

We'll see one-shots and minis but probably no ongoings

they could pump out nothing but trash nobody reads and berserk alone would still keep them afloat. getting into manga decades ago turned out to be the best decision they made in the long term.

Top Cow did classic Tomb Raider
What's weird is that Lara was a firm part of Top Cow's universe

Nig, have you seen what they did with SR and Red Faction in the past decade?