Are there any writers/thinkers who discuss the possibility of the mental illness being an actual talent i.e. superpower?

Are there any writers/thinkers who discuss the possibility of the mental illness being an actual talent i.e. superpower?

I am not trying to glorify mental illness, I am myself mentall ill, however, my anxiety disorders also allow me to perform certain tasks in a way which most of the population cannot. There are specific situations where I am king.

On the other hand, could this maybe be the future of mental illness? Think about it: schizos had a place in ancient times as prophets, shamans, etc. Could it be that today's Capital has still not found a way to appropriate mental illness for itself except for profit via Pharma?

Could mental illness be the only "Exit" out of capital, i.e. the only way for us to distinguish ourselves from the Globomachinery of Capital and contain a certain skill which it will never be able to obtain because of its perfected rational utility?

Attached: 246x0w.jpg (246x246, 21K)

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/amp/s/www.medicaldaily.com/psychedelic-drugs-mental-health-disorders-bad-rap-war-drugs-385946?amp=1
youtu.be/LrIMjjPg7uU
lolicore.org/static/Walking Aphrodisiac by Nicholas Blacksmith, A - Nicholas Blacksmith.epub
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

They really didn't have any place. People knew they were fucked up then, just like they do today. Go to bed, Foucalt.

What are You on about? The schizo-prophet/shaman was the source of information and guidance for any tribe. The neurotic/anxiety-ridden individual was the perfect stay-up-all-night guard of the tribe. No idea what the role of the depressive was, though. Maybe solid, hardcore criticism? Anyway, You are wrong and I just woke up 3 hours ago. Get a job.

There's a lot of writing and research about certain disorders being "super powers" in the sense of creativity and the like. Especially bipolar& manic depressive. Look it up, it's interesting.

Nowdays there's also a lot of YA drivel about how the marginalized and the outsiders are akshually the smart ones, obviously you can ignore all of that.

There's also literature about "ignorance is bliss", even "down syndrome is bliss", so you can kind of apply that to mental illness.

Even broader, you have things like The Idiot.

There's also a lot of research and writing about how (high-functioning) autism is a bliss in the corporate world.

Overall your post reeks of not actually having thought about any of this and more of a leftist mentally ill mary lou story?

Stop basing your worldview on some archetype you made up.

>The schizo-prophet/shaman was the source of information and guidance for any tribe.
No, they weren't.
Tribal man was more intelligent and would have been more perceptive to mental illnesses. If there was some lunatic OOOGGA-BOOGAing, he would have probably had his head bashed in. In European cultures, religious men and prophets generally were very learned, hence why they served the role of medicine man too, and they may have devised religious framework as a means of disseminating their ideas.
>The neurotic/anxiety-ridden individual was the perfect stay-up-all-night guard of the tribe.
In point of fact, he wasn't.
Your ad hoc backward reasoning for the evolutionary existence of undesirable traits is laughable. If the Dodo existed in your lifetime, you would be singing the very praises that made it go extinct. I assume you are one of the imbeciles on /sci/ that constantly makes 'what is the evolutionary purpose of x' tier threads. Go jump off a cliff.

Attached: 14343435500.jpg (1024x961, 62K)

>leftist mentally ill mary lou story?
I have no political quarrel in this debate. However, certain people are definitely displaced. I do agree You can not simply harness this state of mind, but master. That is a shitload of pain to go through to actually one day own it and Yourself. Society is not really helping that much in that regard.
>Overall your post reeks of not actually having thought about any of this
You base this on what? Furthermore, that is partially the reason I posted this? I am looking for weird material.

You are saying the shamans of Southern America are not very learned in healing in their own ways? They are men of medicine.
>In point of fact, he wasn't.
Yes he was.

Because 1) you glorify things that ought not be glorified and 2) because you keep talking about "Capital" which doesn't have anything to dow ith it.

"Schizos" were not "used" for anything, it's about the most destructive disorder there is and it will completely eat you up. What people used where mostly drugs, not mentally ill people. Most of the time, it wasn't even that but rather an elite class being born into those positions and simply fucking around with people for their own benefit, much like medieval bishops who didn't believe in the Bible.

Weak bait.

I am not glorifying anything. I am seeking a different PoV. Capital is just the current system which seems inescapable at the moment. It has its role in this whole clusterfuck.

William Blake disagrees with You, Van Gogh disagress with You, so does Joyce. However, these are all geniuses.

The Denial of Death. It essentially argues that what we regard as our normal culture/society is merely an illusory complex that allows us to deny our inevitable death. He considers those with psychosis/schizophrenia as people who rise above this illusion and are closer to grasping the full truth of our death (and therefore life). Dense but highly recommend. Read Freud before starting

Finally something. Thanks.

Holy shit, anymore literature on this topic?

Schizo and veteran of the acid wars here...

I suggest looking into occultism and esotericism. Try to look for the ways schizophrenia already exists within all. Some philosophy is good for this. D&G's Capitalism and Schizophrenia is a classic, check Foucault on Discipline and Punishment and Madness and Civilization, Fisher's Capitalist Realism touches upon the subject too -- been meaning to check out K-Punk. Mysticism is also important. Have you read Hanegraaf, Scholem, Benjamin, Frazer, Durkheim, Freud, Mauss, Levi-Strauss, Bataille, Levy-Bruhl, etc.? That sort of stuff is potent too. Fiction-wise, check out VALIS -- it's PKD's public statement on his insanity. The Exegesis is only for the hardcore. Psychedelic spirituality is fascinating. Crowley did Mescaline, RAW loved Crowley. If you don't mind pretentiousness, The Rose of Paracelsus might be the modern masterpiece of psychedelic literature for the author's infamy alone. Of course, McKenna is a fun diversion too. Shamans and medicine is a fun subject. Pendell's Pharmako trilogy is a great example of this. The ur-shamanic text is Archaic Techniques of Ecstasy by Eliade. Pay attention to the sections on shamanic sickness. Wounded healer archetype is very real. And why not read Jung? And Kingsley and Shaw and Uzdavinys and Hadot. Philosophers were once akin to shamans despite what your teachers may tell you.

Sorry. That was a bit rambly. But ask me to unpack anything and I will.

Wow, user, thank You for all of this. Gonna have to screenie this. How are you btw?

What do You mean by acid wars?
What is the shamanic sickness?

>How are you?
Good. I believe myself to have gained considerable wisdom because of my experiences despite the temporary setbacks which occurred. I wish I was making more money but c'est la vie. At least I have enough to buy books to fuel my addiction to learning.
>acid wars
google.com/amp/s/www.medicaldaily.com/psychedelic-drugs-mental-health-disorders-bad-rap-war-drugs-385946?amp=1
>shamanic sickness
The future shaman sometimes takes the risk of being mistaken for a "madman". . .but his "madness" fulfills a mystic function; it reveals certain aspects of reality to him that are inaccessible to other mortals, and it is only after having experienced and entered into these hidden dimensions of reality that the "madman" becomes a shaman. (Mircea Eliade. Myths, Dreams, and Mysteries. New York: Harper and Row, 1960. Page 80-81)

Have read this and can confirm. Those particular chapters were quite profound

Newflash retard: if your mental state does not disable you, it's not a disability.

yeah but then you get total fucks who claim it to justify their shittiness and infectious narcissism. modern schizophrenia is a different form due to maligned techno dissemination. if you think you are special because you share the common symptom of autism and depersonalization from overstimulation then youre full of shit. one sure thing is that an ancient shaman is not a hedonist

>however, my anxiety disorders also allow me to perform certain tasks in a way which most of the population cannot
kek

I'm a lawfag who works with mentally ill people all the fucking time. You're not special or useful. You are a fucking parasite and the closing down of asylums was the biggest mistake the West ever made.

You will not accept this because you have brain problems, but it is the truth and everyone knows it.

Based

BEWARE
EWAREB
WAREBE
AREBEW
RRBEWA
EBEWAR

S A T O R
A R E P O
T E N E T
O P E R A
R O T A S

>In European cultures, religious men and prophets generally were very learned
Insofar as being literate made you learned in that time.
History is absolutely chock full of accounts of oracles, sages, and divine inspiration that, from a modern historical perspective, just read as schizophrenics. Greek oracles famously hung out near the sorts of geothermal vents that could get you tripping balls.
It's an enormous mistake to attribute modern 'meritocratic' skepticism to pre-industrial societies.

Attached: E6708A9E-DE9A-4577-A806-DF18FD8764AE.jpg (324x499, 30K)

youtu.be/LrIMjjPg7uU

I mean, there is the whole new age stuff about hyper sensibility and autism being a trait of „indigo children“, aka children born on higher awareness levels.

I also vaguely recall to have read something about this in a book, but i can‘t remember where. I‘ll report back if i remember.

Attached: E1D24951-8B09-4D9E-B2EE-5C6B811F52BC.jpg (580x435, 143K)

>I'm a lawfag
>you have brain problems

ok, sweetie

Im also mentally ill and it is the complete reverse of a super power. People who praise mental illness are quite literally like looking at a person with a broken leg and saying 'this should help him run the race'.

Some mentally ill people are creative or intelligent or whatever, but anything they produce is in spite of the handicap they have, not because of it.

There's also a whole lot of research pointing out that indigo children tend to be the result of parents not being able to deal with having 'special' kids.

Dig deeper

/thread

I think the issue is more that parents WANT their kids to be those special snowflakes.

>RRBEWA
REBEWA

So you repress a big part of Yourself?

Too late. You failed. Better luck next time.

evolutionary psychology is a pseudoscience

evolutionary psychology is the same science as the rest of evolutionary biology
the statement 'animals evolved pain to retreat from danger' is evopsych

Better crazy than stupid is what I always say.

Butthurt humanitiestard detected.

Shaman's might be ascetic but they sure take a lot of drugs.

Is/ought

Naturalistic fallacy

evopsych has precisely nothing to do with 'ought', it's just theories about why a behavior would have evolved, how it benefits reproductive success. Same as theories about why other features of an organism evolve, like its hair or the shape of its limbs.

Deleuze

>ought
Evolutionary psychology has nothing to do with ought you fucking retard.

This obsession with 'ought' is a waste of time anyway. 5000 years of scholarly effort and still no definite conclusions. Fucking retards.

See: Just because schizos exist doesn't mean they are useful. Might as well claim cancer is useful.

See: >D&G Capitalism and Schizophrenia

>Just because schizos exist doesn't mean they are useful.
I agree.

The naturalistic fallacy is about ethics...

Evopsych will look at some behavior and try to understand why it exists, it is the same thing as any other branch of evolutionary biology. If schizophrenia doesn't help reproductive success then it can't have been selected for, it's just something that emerges sometimes, a defect like a club foot.

Well, in that case this whole train of argumentation is moot. Schizophrenia clearly seems to prevent reproductive success once it emerges. It is most likely like club foot. This sort of "schizos are useful according to evopsych as shamans" resembles the circuitous homosexual arguing that "gay uncles are useful despite and because of not reproducing" i.e., overly speculative and wishful.
One intelligent person here.

You can try to create theories about why being gay or schizophrenic is useful but I agree it's probably not based on anything real.

We are talking about evopsych in general, for example 'mothers feel love for their infants because it helps reproductive success for them to care for them'. Obvious stuff like that

Fair enough.

>hurr youre wrong because you inconvencience me personally
lame, anything meaningful to contribute to the thread or is that it?

>Could mental illness be the only "Exit" out of capital, i.e. the only way for us to distinguish ourselves from the Globomachinery of Capital and contain a certain skill which it will never be able to obtain because of its perfected rational utility?
Yes

This

I have bipolar disorder and feel like a genetic defect. I'm not meant for this world. What little my bipolar has given me is far outweighed by what it's taken. The "mentally tortured genius" meme needs to end.

jamie lynch

No, he wasn't.

>Could mental illness be the only "Exit" out of capital
Nope. Capital is already in the process of commodifying it. Just look at this cute little identity you're crafting for yourself.

>because you inconvencience me personally
Nutcases inconvenience every single person who encounters them. Sometimes sooner, other times later, but everyone in the end. They are also a drain on the public purse.

There are no redeeming features to mental illness. Only retards who have never had to sit through a rambling 1.5 hour conference with a schizophrenic wifebeater would romanticise it.

Protip: if you don't put the mentally ill in asylums you will just end up putting them in gaols.

If you actually worked with mentally ill people you would know asylums still exist all over the West

He's an American who is applying American mistakes (Reagan clsoing the mental health system) to European society. Typical arrogance but probably not a liar.

Yes, but not enough people are sent to them. The focus is on treating mentally ill people in the community, rather than removing them from the community and then treating them.

In addition, a psychiatric hospital is different to an insane asylum.

I'm Australian.

ALL great men were maniacs of one sort or another. Mania is a requisite for greatness

Like insanity is a condition. (It fucking isn't)
Literal Mania would be detrimental. The extreme reckless self destructive feel good moments with compulsive behavior.
Mania, as in soical stereotypes of (Extreme Focus, Gumption, Disregard for Social Norms, Leaps of Logic, Personal Sacrifice) would work.

How about you fags take a high school psychology class.
t. /x/ fag

How about you lick my hairy balls? I could not care less for psychological taxonomy

To thoroughly fuck up a kid you need to either go all the way or have a kid who's somewhat predisposed to it though, so I highly doubt it's much more than a coping mechanism.

>13046676
>Are there any writers/thinkers who discuss the possibility of the mental illness being an actual talent i.e. superpower?
>Extreme Focus, Gumption, Disregard for Social Norms, Leaps of Logic, Personal Sacrifice
Ffs, the thread is about mental illness.
The only values of a mental illness itself is entertainment, perspective, and as consumers.
For the person with it, the illness does not help.
Unless they are High or Very High functioning.
Not even getting into that mental illnesses are based on normies psychological makeup.
If it does help it's not a standard mental illness, it's a handy tool. Hearing helpful voices inside your head that are actually useful.

"Mental illness" is a metaphor for "physical illness that we haven't found the source of yet"

reminder that materialists burn forever in hell when they die

I smell Deleuze and Guattari and that's a smell I do not like.

A Walking Aphrodisiac, Part three, page 155

Attached: image.png (2048x1536, 385K)

Thats actually pretty good, where can i get it?

Its for free, on another thread.
This excerpt is from part one, page 20

Attached: image.png (2048x1536, 356K)

lolicore.org/static/Walking Aphrodisiac by Nicholas Blacksmith, A - Nicholas Blacksmith.epub

It's the usual, or maybe slightly above average depressive venting. Diaries like that ("depressive fiction") are shilled on Yea Forums all the time, but they make the mistake of not attempting to be as funny as Houellebecq is.

Haha holy shit are they shilling it on lolicore too?

>History is absolutely chock full of accounts of oracles, sages, and divine inspiration that, from a modern historical perspective, just read as schizophrenics.
No they don't, you fucking moron. Stop applying your utter lack of knowledge on the subject to history. At the very least read the Wikipedia article on schizophrenia before making these kind of moronic claims.

Attached: 1534870795210.png (370x560, 177K)

Plato

Schizoid people make excellent scouts and explorers. Hating spending time around people leaves a lot of time to roam and being neurotic makes you notice things most others don't. I can definitely see how it could benefit a tribe to have someone like that around

Attached: 1554217862969m.jpg (1024x571, 79K)

A non-schizoid would make a better scout.

It depends on the degree and kind of crazy. I'm bipolar and also a fairly godlike writer. The elevated mood associated with the manic phase causes me to care more about the thought in my head and expressing it than external circumstances, time, or anything else really. You need to have that burning faith to pursue art without reservation. Art itself is irrational so they share the same sign and stem from the same impulse.

It absolutely depends on the type of mental illness and whether it interacts with intelligence or stupidity. If I didn't have an urge to write while in an elevated mood i'd just be getting into trouble. Similarly, if I'm just depressed, my productivity approaches zero. Neuroatypicality in that instance becomes a strict liability. Psychosis is of no use either because it implies the complete breakdown of self-regulative cognition. If your ability to perceive reality has completely deteriorated to such an extent you won't have the concentration to yield anything of value.

I believe bipolar probably had other contextual uses throughout history. The burst of physical activity energy that is sometimes accompanies the manic phase would have been useful on the eve of battles, berserker rage and so on.

Most of the DSM didn't exist until ~20 years ago. You're making up a mythology of the past on a group of categories that are mostly contentious and speculative. "Mental Illness" didn't exist in the "tribe," and you're condescending to whatever primitive societies formed/existed by inferring that it did at all.

but it did, they just didn't call it that

wikipedia leads me to believe Yea Forums is completely schizoid and hypochondriaic
>A University of Colorado Colorado Springs study comparing personality disorders and Myers-Briggs Type Indicator types found that the disorder had a significant correlation with the Introverted (I) and Thinking (T) preferences.[59]
>The descriptive tradition began in 1925 with the description of observable schizoid behaviors by Ernst Kretschmer. He organized those into three groups of characteristics:[61] Unsociability, quietness, reservedness, seriousness and eccentricity. Timidity, shyness with feelings, sensitivity, nervousness, excitability, fondness of nature and books. Pliability, kindliness, honesty, indifference, silence and cold emotional attitudes.
>The need to regulate interpersonal distance as a central focus of concern. The ability to mobilize self-preservative defenses and self-reliance. A pervasive tension between the anxiety-laden need for attachment and the defensive need for distance that manifests in observable behavior as indifference. An overvaluation of the inner world at the expense of the outer world.
Any psych students here? Seems like a load of bullshit to medically stigmatize hermitism

Yes. "Mental illness" did not exist in the "tribe". However, people still heard voices, suffered depressive episodes, had panic attacks and intrusive thoughts, but had another explanation for it. Now, fuck off.

I'm glad a time traveler has come to join us, answering all our questions about differences in culture and history. Here he explains to us that every culture and tradition has had the same behaviors as ours, right down to the way we think.

Nigga do u even Socrates' daimon?

the view of modern schizophrenia is different so is the use and notions of psychedelics. advertising is the reselling of the shamanic journey.

how u bean?