Where can I look to find good videos that explain philosophical ideas?

Where can I look to find good videos that explain philosophical ideas?

School of Life is very accessible but the summaries are simplistic to the point where I feel they water down a lot of the concepts.

I like Peterson's early work but a lot of it is just repackaged Buddhism & Christianity, and I'm bored to tears by his sermons on life in the gulags/concentration camps.

I really like Zizek but a lot of his stuff nowadays is politically-oriented and leads me back to feeling depressed about political correctness and the sad state of Europe.

I tried starting with the Greeks and watched an intro to Aristotle, then realised the speaker was Stefan Molyneux, a quack who encourages others to blame their every shortcoming on their upbringings and oppressive families instead of accepting responsibility for their own situations.

I'm at a loss now. Please help.

Attached: 52113383_308058096564900_2302343345396017660_n.jpg (480x480, 26K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSzzuYDEQ4KBjMaqwqeYEiLxrRr83xwpi
youtube.com/watch?v=Y3bXxRqSpOY
youtube.com/channel/UC3Jivn57V6HIAY_Id_XNkYQ
warosu.org/lit/thread/S13040029
youtu.be/1TX6advvbDA
youtube.com/watch?v=D9JCwkx558o
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4gvlOxpKKIgR4OyOt31isknkVH2Kweq2
youtube.com/watch?v=YxBShJU_CKs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

www.philosophynow.org.uk

>videos

Attached: soy.jpg (644x800, 76K)

>blame environment instead of taking responsibility
Yeah, retard. Most philosophers don't believe in free will.

Wheaton
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSzzuYDEQ4KBjMaqwqeYEiLxrRr83xwpi

Bruce Gore
youtube.com/watch?v=Y3bXxRqSpOY

Bonevac
youtube.com/channel/UC3Jivn57V6HIAY_Id_XNkYQ

Retard.

Rick Roderick recorded a number of lectures in the 90s and they're all up on youtube. He's a pleasant speaker and has a couple good intro series on the history of philosophy, complete with reading suggestions

Based and bookpilled

>anno domini 2019
>still falling for the paper jew
yeah, that would be cringe & bluepilled for me

Entitled Opinions on Stanford is the best podcast for humanities that I know. They had Sloterdijk talking about Nietzsche, Andrew Mitchell on Heidegger, Fukuyama on, well, whatever the fuck he's on, Rorty, etc. They also have a lot of episodes about literature: Dante, Rimbaud, Greek mythology, etc.

But what you should be doing is reading. Both primary and secondary sources. The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy is an amazing resource that covers basically every important topic in philosophy, go check it out.

Thank you

I know I should be reading books instead but my attention span has been horrendous lately. I have a copy of The Ego And Its Own but I don't feel ready to tackle it yet.

There's nothing wrong with listening to lectures

All reading is really hermeneutic and equal parts "reading around" (or thinking around) the thing and reading the thing itself. If you read Kant and don't know what "a priori" means you're going to have to google it and find a bit of background, historical and philosophical, on the term and its specific usage by Kant. There is no difference between this and the more fuzzy, holistic process of listening to two or three lectures on something over the course of months and only having an indefinable but necessary "click" moment, of "ohhh, I get it now," on the third watch. You will read your target authors both before and after having those click moments, you'll have to return to them later, the click moments will sometimes DEPEND on you having read them half-comprehendingly before (sometimes even more than once) and returned to them at a later date, etc., etc. The whole process is holistic and hermeneutic.

My advice if you're going to try to tackle major philosophers or schools: gain the knack of discerning which secondary sources are best when looking for secondary sources, and then read around a bit. Read reviews on JSTOR and sometimes even Amazon. For example Popkin's History of Scepticism is good, but Barnes' book on the Presocratics is ass.

Also, read Windelband's History of Ancient Philosophy, and/or his history of philosophy in general. Kuno Fischer also has a good book on modern philosophy but it might only have the first volume in English.

futurelearn
c-span
edx
Open Yale Courses

gl hf

Attached: Scotland_Southern_Uplands01_2002-08-16.jpg (1800x1200, 394K)

Hubert Dreyfus has great lectures on philosophy and literature

Wish this Clayton dude made more of these videos.

what's her book?

hey guys newfag here, totally unrelated question, i have the same interest in OP, and really got interested in the responses post here; is there a way to save the entire thread ? i don't know if saving the url will do it. Thanks in advance.

It's important to note that School of Life is pushing a hardcore atheist humanist interpretation of all the philosophers they cover.

use warosu archive

warosu.org/lit/thread/S13040029

>not having a sexy artist/philosopher hubby to train you in the eleatic mysteries
Not gonna make it

>School of Life
So you watch pathological liars for information about philosophy? Lol
If you're too lazy to sit down and read philosophy and instead want someone to summarize it for you in a 10 minute video, then philosophy isnt for you.
Simple as that.

>Where can I look to find good videos that explain philosophical ideas?
Don't.

I was just about to write a rant about >school of life.
Just about anything on YouTube is better than that ideological influenced crap.
I mean look at this crap:
youtu.be/1TX6advvbDA
>Wow we bookisch people sure are hot and cool
What
>I watched a 5 minute video about Plato which basically amounts to a full course
At this point PewDiePie is a better philo YouTuber.

He unironically has a video about cuckolding featuring an interracial couple (bmwf of course)
All of his videos on philosophy are COMPLETELY biased and he not only leaves out many detials, he even straight up lies.
There was a comment on his Soren Kierkegaard video and it absolutely demolished his manipulative video.
youtube.com/watch?v=D9JCwkx558o
Look for the comment by Conclusive Postscript

His arguably good video creating skills make his wild statements seem much more substantial than they actually are.
But on the other hand there obviously is a market for people who want to know about a philosopher and aren't even willing to read a summary Wikipedia article which would be superior to and around the same time as a SoL video.
I mean it doesn't have to be like a 270+ videoplaylist on phenomenology of spirit for every work out there but some minor attention should be mandatory for any subject.

For OP btw if he wants to see what philo YouTube can look like.
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4gvlOxpKKIgR4OyOt31isknkVH2Kweq2

Carneades
youtube.com/watch?v=YxBShJU_CKs

I was going to help but when you praise Bucko peterson and Marxist zizek I can only imagine how fucking dumb you must be. Rope yourself

Academy of Ideas gives accurate overviews but encourages you to explore the ideas on your own

Academy of Ideas

>philosophy
>school of life
>peterson
>zizek
>molyneux
>"i tried starting with the Greeks"
>"by watching a video"
OP find another hobby and come back when you're 18.

Just read Plato video's will aways be watered down and should be used as second hand help only

That's not true at all, also you don't read.

>take book written by philosopher/writer you are interested in
>read book
>learn the implications of the work you read, draw conclusions for yourself and for your life

You can literally get 2000 years of philosophy in 1 minute of internet search.

>this is your mind on modernity
NO! YOU CANT!

>You can literally get 2000 years of philosophy in 1 minute of internet search.
And how long does it take to find out, how the word "literally" is used adequately?

Attached: 4404922_0.jpg (630x630, 75K)

At what point does a usage become adequate? I imagine it has to do with proliferation which has certainly been achieved.

Attached: los.jpg (625x259, 32K)

god I wish that were me

Well, I'd be interested in the theory behind the statement. I get that words need to be guarded from misuse but it's a bit late for that one.

The Partially Examined Life podcast has pretty decent episodes on specific philosophers and their ideas. Go poke around there.

Just my perspective, I read philosophers directly as well but listening to lectures etc. is fun while I'm doing other stuff. I would never completely replace reading with videos/podcasts etc. but they do complement it nicely

There is something I don't understand about Platonism.
If I eat a banana, I am not eating a real banana, I am merely consuming matter mimicking the idea of a banana (the universal idea of a banana is the real banana).
It is similar to watching a Batman movie and realizing that Batman is actually an actor, and not the real Batman.
But, in order to enjoy life and live normally, I should rather pretend (for the sake of a normal life) that the actor is, at least momentarily, Batman, and that the material banana is actually a banana.
Is there a term for "actually pretend it is real"? In entertainment, it is called "willing suspension of disbelief", but I never see this discussed in Platonism.

>depressed the sad state of Europe.
fuck, no one tell him about America

I want to go some pastoral countryside in the UK and train myself to read for 10 hours a day