Hellboy

I've heard this is like the Berserk of Yea Forums. What am I in for?

Attached: Hellboy.jpg (1665x2560, 456.72K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/ciu17aFihro
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It is nothing at all like Berserk. Whoever told you that is an idiot.

Bald manchild goes on crazy wacky but also depressing adventures. I can't spoil so I dunno what else to tell you.

You've heard it wrong, only people who consumed 5 comics in their whole life would think Berserk and Hellboy are alike. Just because the protagonist is kinda depressed and has wacky friends? Honestly, I've seen more people argue this before but no one ever elaborates, what are the fucking similarities?

>what are the fucking similarities?
They're in your post user. Yeah you're right on the money when you said the only people who think the two are alike probably don't read many comics. I'd argue the people who say the two are alike never even read berserk.

Hellboy was at its worst when it attempted continuity; it always felt forced and reverse-engineered.
Berserk was the opposite: the best was the ultimately unrealized background narrative (which granted was also reverse-engineered), and episodic standalone stuff got in the way of that .

Attached: berserkchads.gif (640x360, 3.13M)

Similarities:
>dark fantasy
>tough character with demonic nature, and fights against this nature to keep it at bay
>experienced in dealing with the supernatural
>loses an eye
That's really it, I think.
This. Hellboy is great with the episodic stuff, and at its best once Mignola gets going in volume 3 or so, The Chained Coffin.

Hellboy/BPRD is Pulp Cthulhu and Delta Green style comic.

fun paranormal short stories.

Attached: gun monkey.jpg (1024x860, 132.51K)

listen to Satan, OP.

Attached: one page hellboy.jpg (622x960, 90.93K)

wew lad

Attached: A1cy7M6FkrL.jpg (1613x2475, 1.22M)

Hellboy isn't bald. Unless you're referring to OP...

Both lose loved ones in their journey

A decent ending, after a long, long journey with a mostly stable level of quality.

Good book?

Hellboy is an urban fantasy series that draws heavily from pulp fiction, fairytales, mythology, gothic horror, and the works of H.P. Lovecraft to create a setting that feels familiar, yet wholly unique.

With that being said, aside from a few surface level traits, I really don't think that you can call Hellboy "the Berserk of Yea Forums." If anything, Hellboy is Yea Forums's Dorohedoro.

>what are the fucking similarities?
If I had to guess?
>One-eyed, untraditional protagonists with oversized weapons and dark backstories.
>Major antagonists are either demons or demon-adjacent.
>Themes explore the concept of determinism versus fatalism.

>Hellboy was at its worst when it attempted continuity; it always felt forced and reverse-engineered.
Honestly, I have to disagree. Darkness Calls, The Wild Hunt, The Storm, and The Fury aren't only four of the most continuity-heavy Hellboy stories, but some of the best. The only Hellboy comic I'd put above them is The Crooked Man.

Also, the Hellboy Universe's lore is dope as shit.

Attached: d9f81273-c98b-4497-8953-529788b34cf8.jpg (552x407, 49.03K)

Just bought the omnibus and already loving it.

The appeal of Hellboy is that you have the Beast of the Apocalypse working as a paranormal investigator and the relatively mundane ways he handles things. You could have a Nazi zombie possessed by the ghost of an ancient Mesopotamian sorcerer who is performing a blood sacrifice to summon Cthulhu, and Hellboy deals with it in a way similar to that of a cop one month from retirement would deal with a hobo in a Walmart parking-lot.

>Darkness Calls, The Wild Hunt, The Storm, and The Fury
I fell asleep to these. I don't like that Mignola thinks he's a writer and shirks on drawing duties.
>Hellboy Universe's lore is dope as shit
It has a lot of interesting elements but they don't gel well together.

Hellboy is one of the comfiest reads there is after Bone and maybe Jack Knight Starman. Just don't get bogged down with all the extra curricular BPRD runs. Some of that is alright, but alot of it is garbage.

DREADFUL APPARITION, BEGONE!
LOFAHAM
SOLOMON
IYOUEL
IYOSENAI

>I've heard this is like the Berserk of Yea Forums
No. It is good.

Yea, pretty cool.

MLM

So its just good but not Berserk good?

>Beserk is the comic of manga

>I've heard this is like the Berserk of Yea Forums
Nah, it's complete and the creator is alive

>>Themes explore the concept of determinism versus fatalism.
My man, fatalism is a form of determinism, specially as presented in Hellboy, less so in Berserk.
Also fucking Moby Dick the same as Berserk based on your description so thanks Melville.

Wait, Hellboy actually ended?

I haven't read that far, but people say the ending sucks

I don't know about "sucks", but it was pretty much a bad ending in terms of the fate of the world.

The Mignolaverse has a definite ending (and it sucks), but the main Hellboy comic has a definitive "and the odd adventures continue" type ending.

>I haven't read that far, but people say the ending sucks
Hellboy in Hell had a great ending. BPRD had a good (albeit not perfect) ending too, but it went over a lot of people's heads.

HALIBUT!

NTA but I feel like most of the lore hangs together okay.

I agree with you on HIH and also on BPRD. My man. Thought it was fitting that it all sort of ended on a weird, melancholy, note.
Baazaku is my favorite manga and Hellboy is my favorite comic but I'm not sure how similar they are beyond surface details and really general themes. I think Guts is trying to forge his path and accomplish his goals/destiny while Hellboy is trying to run from his own inevitable future. Guts' malaise and setbacks feel awful for this reason, but when Hellboy is waylaid drunk in a ghost mansion or on an island far away from civilization, it becomes more of a reprieve from the inevitable.
Also, Alice a cute

Attached: Hellboy-Holding-Alice.jpg (600x601, 71.35K)

Hellboy in hell should have been the end.

Top 3 favorite Hellboy stories and favorite enemy that he had to fight.

Go.

In no particular order:
The Troll Witch
The Bog Roosh
The Corpse
Overall favorite enemy probably the Koschei fight w/ Baba Yaga

Hell on earth ending felt like they just went through a checklist if all the hanging plot threads and unceremoniously tied them together

Are you me? My choices are almost exactly the same, except that I'd switch The Bog Roosh with The Island.

Island is my 4th favorite. Crazy coincidence lol
Guess you can't go wrong with any of the Strange Places one shots

Attached: asfq.png (1912x1184, 1.26M)

I love how wacky Hellboy gets and yet it always makes sense. And based trips.

i need a chart of comic books to recommend to normals and retards who read manga.

Sandman Watchmen Bone Court of Owls
A few of my friends who read japcrap really liked Bacchus and the Frank comics but idk if that's normie enough

Attached: RCO042_1641467940.jpg (1187x1650, 724.98K)

My three favorite Hellboy stories are, in no particular order: The Crooked Man, The Wolves of Saint August, and Buster Oakley Gets His Wish.

The Crooked Man is also the best villain in the Hellboy Universe, in my opinion. He wasn't just creepy, but a great foil to Big Red.

Attached: eedffaa3-49be-4c5e-96f2-d6d7b260e95a-first-crooked-man.jpg (521x520, 123.99K)

In the Chapel of Moloch is the best Hellboy one-shot, hands down.

Agree completely. Plus Corben's art really drove up the Crooked Man's creepyness to 20. Plus, growing up in more of a country area, I could see running into him in the woods, it kinda got to me. The Corpse was always my fav until this came around.

>Plus, growing up in more of a country area, I could see running into him in the woods, it kinda got to me.
Yeah, I grew up in the Appalachian regions of Virginia and West Virginia, so I can relate. Aside from the obviously fictious demonic creatures and witches, Mignola and Corben really nailed the eerie feel of the Appalachian wilderness.

Attached: Jeremiahwitkins (1).jpg (554x640, 98.79K)

My favorite is still The Corpse.
I also liked The Wolves of Saint August.
Makoma and The Crooked Man are probably in my top 5.

Attached: hb.jpg (1036x1550, 389.64K)

Salt. Western artsyle by japanese artist. It's basically Coming of age romance with a hint of Twin Peaks and Lovecraft. Pretty fucking cool

Attached: 1629816383063.jpg (1052x1600, 329.15K)

>Don't mess with me, ive been drinking with skeletons!
Funnily enough that contrast is pretty much the same reason Aqua Teen Hunger Force is popular, a group of assholes reacting to weird pulp sci-fi shit around them with a poor, low society mundaniety.

It's completely different to berserk. This is like those "Dark Souls of X" descriptions

youtu.be/ciu17aFihro

>The Mignolaverse has a definite ending (and it sucks)
Really? Which issue is it? I finished Hellboy in Hell, but after that I'm kinda confused about the reading order.

>Conqueror Worm
>The Island
>Dr. Carp's Experiment
Conqueror Worm is my favourite.

>Alice
What the rotten HELL were they thinking??

Attached: Alice-Monaghan-Hellboy-Jacket-680x800.jpg (680x800, 70.67K)

It's ok but not nearly as good as Berserk

It falls flat at the end just like Attack on Titan

I usually don't care about race swaps that much, but this one was retarded given the fact that there was an actual in-universe reason for her to be a redhead.

any recommended reading list for hellboy till his ending?

Just read the two Hellboy Short Story Collections, and then the four Hellboy omnibuses. It's a pretty easy series to follow, honestly.