“I know you, I know you. You're the only serious person in the room, aren't you, the only one who understands...

>“I know you, I know you. You're the only serious person in the room, aren't you, the only one who understands, and you can prove it by the fact that you've never finished a single thing in your life. You're the only well-educated person, because you never went to college, and you resent education, you resent social ease, you resent good manners, you resent success, you resent any kind of success, you resent God, you resent Christ, you resent thousand-dollar bills, you resent Christmas, by God, you resent happiness, you resent happiness itself, because none of that's real. What is real, then? Nothing's real to you that isn't part of your own past, real life, a swamp of failures, of social, sexual, financial, personal...spiritual failure. Real life. You poor bastard. You don't know what real life is, you've never been near it. All you have is a thousand intellectualized ideas about life. But life? Have you ever measured yourself against anything but your own lousy past? Have you ever faced anything outside yourself? Life! You poor bastard.”

Most based of 20th century american writers. Its one of the few books which can still give me hope. The same people have always been around, you just have to hear from more of them these days.

Attached: gaddis.jpg (220x321, 18K)

Other urls found in this thread:

williamgaddis.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

what is this from?

Yes, I'll kill myself. This time, I'll really do it. I'm not a coward, I know I'm not a coward, I can't be a coward. I'll finish something with my own hands, goddamnit.

The Recognitions c. 1955

based anselm poster

>“Say a word, say a thousand to me on the telephone and I shall choose the wrong one to cling to as though you had said it after long deliberation when only I provoked it from you, I will cling to it from among a thousand, to be provoked and hurl it back with something I mean no more than you meant that, something for you to cling to and retreat clinging to.”

an american prophet

I've been putting off reading The Recognitions for so long, I feel guilty about it.

williamgaddis.org/
this site (one of the oldest of its kinds) makes it easier the wall of references quote and allusions

Thanks, I'll bookmark it for future reference.

Stephen (aka Wyatt aka "my protag doesnt need a name for more than half the book") knew what he was about. The mummy shit with him and the old forger that's responsible for his mothers death is kino.

Or shit, was that Esme...
Or shit, was it Anselm? wait no, he castrated himself

>tfw went to college

Phew, that lets me off the hook. That would be literally me otherwise.

The colleges he's talking about (pre-1955) no longer exist user.

>At least there's one quality in a paragraph-long list that doesn't apply to me. That means I'm a totally different sort of person. Right, guys? G-guys?

Kek

You know the quote in OP is full of irony, right?

So are the posts you're quoting.

>That's why most writing now, if you read it they go on one two three four and tell you what happened like newspaper accounts, no adjectives, no long sentences, no tricks they pretend, and they finally believe that they really believe that the way they saw it is the way it is ... it never takes your breath away, telling you things you already know, laying everything out flat, as though the terms and the time, and the nature and the movement of everything were secrets of the same magnitude. They write for people who read with the surface of their minds, people with reading habits that make the smallest demands on them, people brought up reading for facts, who know what's going to come next and want to know what's coming next, and get angry at surprises. Clarity's essential, and detail, no fake mysticism, the facts are bad enough.

>went 2 kollege
>use heron to make mi happi
>have a really cool car (1997 honda civic)
>stuck my peepee in a girl once

me and this guy could totally be friends

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 131K)

Isn't this good will hunting?

What do you mean irony?

OPs quote is from a super minor character advertiser (Don Draper-esk) at a Christmas party as he shreds into some hippy literary critic and his psuedo-intellectual bullshit that was leaking into NYC life at the time.

All gaddis major social criticism came in the background while the inscrutable main characters made one nonsensical decision after another.

>calling someone else a pseud
>esk