America sucks at reading education

The way American high school works is that they force you to read some shit book that the dumb boomer teachers like and they also force you to read at fucking light-speed despite the fact that since the book is garbage you have no motivation to do so
In this way they made me wrongfully believe for years that reading sucked dick
Solution: Let kids choose their own books from a selection of great literature, and give them as much time as they need
Also keep forcing them to read To Kill a Mockingbird since that was actually good

Attached: 1555348738121.png (281x272, 130K)

I PRESUME THAT BY «AMERICA» YOU ARE NOT REFERRING TO THE CONTINENT, BUT TO A COUNTRY IN THE CONTINENT; IF SO, WHAT YOU MEAN IS: «UNITEDSTATES», NOT: «AMERICA», OR, IF YOU WANT TO BE TECHNICALLY CORRECT, WHAT YOU MEAN IS: «FEDERATED STATES OF ANGLOAMERICA».

Attached: C10DC3B2-2A8B-495B-91E3-159397AB25E0.png (650x575, 1.43M)

t. speedlet who can't appreciate classics

"America" is the colloquial way of saying the United States of America. And in English both continents, that is, North America and South America, are collectively known as The Americas. Stop being an autistic retard who writes in all-caps and doesn't understand shit.

We can argue about it forever. Remember - it was Europeans that started calling this place by that name. We just went with the flow. Call it whatever suits you and quit being so concerned with how other people reference themselves. The list of misuses of names is long and there are much more ridiculous ones than that that are in common use.
>in b4 "that that"

I have watched our quality of education rapidly decline - in tandem with the increased funding that we are throwing at it. I found it infuriating until I finally realized that there is no way that such a dramatic decline could be accidental. This is just another aspect of the cultural war.

>In this way they made me wrongfully believe for years that reading sucked dick

Exact same thing happened to me. I read Catcher in the rye and huckleberry finn, and some gay shit about slavery + holocaust, I just thought lit was a bunch of boring gay shit

Then in college we read Borges and I kinda thought it was alright so later looked into more literature

Middle and elementary school did it so much better, at least for me.
Our school had a points system, and every book was worth a certain amount of points. You needed to read enough books with enough points to reach a goal by the end of the month, and you logged what you read on a sheet. To make sure you read the book, you took a basic quiz on it and if you passed you got those points.
Retards could read easy 1 point books while everyone else could read literally anything else they wanted. I remember I got a year's worth of points by reading all the Harry Potter books in like a month, and could then read whatever else in my English classes.

Basado

dumb gimmick

Hahahaha light speed...whew.

There are numerous and obvious issues with the current secondary lit curriculum in America, but who really cares?

>force you to read some shit book that the dumb boomer teachers like
>keep forcing them to read To Kill a Mockingbird since that was actually good
yikeys

rojopastillado

Huck Fin was good though.

nah

Agreed
I was forced to read this shit, apparently it's "commonly assigned reading in high school literature classes" according to Wikipedia
Fucking why? Were the schools paid off or some shit? What were they thinking thinking that this is something teenagers would enjoy? I have literally never heard it mentioned in any context other than being forced to read it in school.

Attached: the bean trees.jpg (332x499, 35K)

>based

How's sophomore year goin', bud?

>reddit formatting
opinion discarded

I thought you killed yourself

I had to go through some bullshit in HS.
We had to read that black-feminist novel Their Eyes Were Watching Good (irregular and enfuriating as fuck) and in some of the analysis were extremely retarded.

In the story there was a guy who forced the MC (female) to wrap her hair and the teacher ais it was because of it resembled a phallic form lmao

ITT: I don't know how to read and have zero comprehension skills.
Prolly unemployable to boot.