How come Sonic can't be taken seriously but TMNT can?

How come Sonic can't be taken seriously but TMNT can?

Attached: 1631290175744.jpg (1783x1344, 487.15K)

Fuck off with these threads, you damn shitposter.

You already did this thread, and you already got an answer.
TMNT started off gritty and dark, so the concept of sewer mutants that use deadly weapons to fight killers and assassins lends itself immediately to a darker tone. Even when it gets more fantastical, the core concept allows for either silly or dark tones pretty easily.
Sonic has always been lighthearted, so whenever they try something edgy and dark it always comes off as weird and tone deaf. Shadow riding a motorcycle and carrying guns is just stupid, because at no points does he need either of those things. Melodrama is the same way, it always has to be shoved in for it to exist. Sonic can have stakes and some drama, but any time it tries to up on the violence and edginess it comes off as desperate. The interactions between Sonic and Knuckles in the new film are about the right amount of “dark” without it coming off as stupid.

Now stop posting this thread.

He's just gonna reply to you with shitty low-effort greentext and continue being disingenuous

>dude mutant turtles who are ninjas and fight a man who wears a samurai helmet in the modern day and have an vigilante ally who uses sports gear as weapons and go to space to fight triceratops aliens is super grounded!
>Anthropomorphic animals fighting a mad scientist? Nah that's too silly.

Called it.

>He has no arguments
There's no amount of mental gymnastics you can do that'll make TMNT okay, but not Sonic.
>Inb4 muh artstyle

TMNT started off gritty and dark because it was a parody of Frank Miller's Daredevil run where the entire joke was "These slow as shit animals are badass stealthy speedy ninjas".

Damn, user called it, low-effort green text and all.

Shadow the Hedgehog was great. Literally no one says that Sonic can't be serious.

…And?

Kek

Attached: 4chan.jpg (1440x810, 140.96K)

And what's the argument against that? Both are inherently ridiculous concepts. Mutant turtle ninjas that fight crime can lend itself to serious stories, but a story about an animal fighting an evil mad scientist who enslaves animals to power robots, can't?

You know we can view how many times you've done this, right?

Attached: 98767.png (657x772, 312.62K)

Mutant sewer creatures trained to use weapons that kill, fighting street thugs so they can chop the head off of the man who killed their father’s father. First issue.
Sonic fights robotic animals against a fat man who he jumps on the head of. First game.

Do you think that Donkey Kong, Mario, Kirby, and Crash Bandicoot should be dark, violent, and gritty?

Nigga there's already at least a dozen threads' worth of arguments, not our fault if you get a dopamine rush from shitposting on a Vietnamese cat skinning board

Batman didn't start out dark and gritty either. Asserting that putting more mature things into a children's story is entirely wrong and misguided.

>Batman didn't start out dark and gritty either.
I’m sorry, what?

Attached: 0DFAC06D-7038-4877-AC3F-75D8D3291AF3.jpg (597x800, 223.56K)

Look at how light hearted this is.

Attached: F96A8843-5EDF-463C-B80D-8E3B4B5E26E8.jpg (573x799, 250.96K)

>Do you think that Donkey Kong, Mario, Kirby, and Crash Bandicoot should be dark, violent, and gritty?
Asserting that putting mature themes in a children's story is wrong or misguided is basically at odds with most storytelling throughout human culture in almost any other time period and is probably the perspective of a sanitized person brought up on junk television and media, or whatever their excuse might be, ignorant of culture.
>"B-but Maria dies, that's so edgy!!"
Uh-huh. And? That’s bad because….cartoon game characters are escapist fantasy stories that shouldn’t deal with anything beyond the most basic power struggles? Again, totally unlike fairy tales throughout history over thousands of years where animals and children were killed or murdered or eaten etc etc, right? But video game characters must be pure because, why, exactly?
Sonic Adventure 2 is far more thematically and tonally similar to a traditional children's story than what passes for kids entertainment in mass media today.
Essentially there's no fucking way that these people would ever appreciate or recommend to a child Hans Christian Andersen, Liaozhai zhiyi, Brothers Grimm, Ozaki's "Japanese Fairy Tales", and so on. They admire a sanitized, simplistic world and consider the introduction of any supposedly "mature" themes a tonal intrusion. What they don't recognize is that this position is genuinely a 20th/21st-century sheltered-kid puritanical position that goes against the entire history of children's storytelling. Their criticism of Sonic Adventure 2 is focused solely on the fact that depression and grief has no place in a cartoonish world, but when cute animals dealt with these things in stories all over the world for centuries, I have to wonder how many other works in how many other cultures would be considered to be shit by their standards. Your only comparison for children's media is other children's games like Super Mario.

>It started out lighthearted and it can never change from that ever
I can list off a million examples.

Attached: 1609283434136.jpg (417x640, 39.15K)

One last one, but there’s plenty of examples from Batman’s original run.
Next time you make a point, actual research it.

Attached: 40133D38-8FD0-4401-8BA5-4721EBE8835D.jpg (1170x1110, 1.12M)

>"B-but Maria dies, that's so edgy!!"
Weird, because I never said that. I actually said Sonic can have stakes, but trying to make it gritty and Uber violent like TMNT is tone deaf.
You’re not even responding to me, you’re making up an argument to oppose.

>SoMe obscure rendition Disney ignores entirely
Boy, you got me there. That surely will distract me from your bullshit Batman argument.

Out of arguments already?

Goddamn that was accurate. Can you see the future?

absolute kino, comics peaked during the golden age and came back during the bronze age

>but trying to make it gritty and Uber violent like TMNT is tone deaf.
What is adaptation

How am I out of an argument? Did Mystery Magazine have Mickey shooting people to death in TMNT fashion?

I've also got one of the most popular comics ever on my side as well.

Attached: 1545480621484.jpg (1080x720, 318.58K)

So Crash Bandicoot could work as a violent gritty story where Crash kills all his opponents by stabbing or shooting them.

How?

So what is it that you want? Do you want Sonic to be dark and edgy or do you want TMNT to never be Dark and Edgy? I'm just not getting the point of this thread.

>the first TMNT cover
>the first Sonic the Hedgehog cover

Attached: 793723F7-7778-43D7-80AC-31D643C71BB6.png (1234x893, 2.04M)

As long as you write it well what's the problem?

lol Cerberus started off lighthearted and kid friendly? First Batman, now Cerberus.
user, you’re an idiot.

Oh ma. Didn't realize it was this bad. Pure autism.

Nah, he's just made several threads like this in the past

Why you guys use autism as an insult?

Okay? So what about the Silver age of comics? Should Batman never be lighthearted because it started dark? Should TMNT never be lighthearted because it started dark? Just admit your entire problem here is with writing, not with tone.

Why limit to just that OP

Attached: desuarchive.org_co_search_image_rHRDcIMmVTEwKGMpV05b8g_ (1).png (1348x5711, 2.84M)

Attached: desuarchive.org_co_search_image_VMQS8Ps_a_DDoJ6QKnv5yQ_.png (1348x8099, 3.13M)

>This post will now go ignored.

Attached: desuarchive.org_co_search_image_Pv467MCQ1zKI-t5_1H1tRg_.png (1348x3680, 1.16M)

Attached: desuarchive.org_co_search_image_6cGJwUm3TQlON2MqYqJhlw_.png (1348x2306, 963.79K)

>Essentially there's no fucking way that these people would ever appreciate or recommend to a child Hans Christian Andersen, Liaozhai zhiyi, Brothers Grimm, Ozaki's "Japanese Fairy Tales", and so on.
lmao. Its this fag again.

There, I'm not bothering finding the Last Ronin shit, my autism is spent for the day

Attached: desuarchive.org_co_search_image_FX1oxrD_oADivNAn3FQXNQ_.png (1348x3499, 2.17M)

Should TMNT never be lighthearted because it started dark?

There is no writing it well because crash bandicoot is about a loony toon jumping on the heads of mutant animals styled after 80s movie tropes to stop a cartoon evil scientist and big titty bombshell waifu. No part of crash has ever been or will ever be deadly serious enough to accept anythinh more than the mild edge it already has.
His fucking shoes fly back up after he falls down a death pit.

Yes actually Sonic is way sillier than TMNT and has never lent itself to that kind of serious storytelling.

Then why not adapt him? Should TMNT or Batman never be lighthearted because it started dark?

I'm so very sorry lord and Master of all storytelling. I didn't recognize you behind your seventeen firewalls.

Claiming that Sonic can't be taken seriously in concept is ridiculous when you compare it to stuff like TMNT.

Unless you have an example of a good serious piece of Sonic media then your argument is dead in the water.

No, it isn't, Sonic is shit.

Flynn? Kino. Kitching? Kino. Maekawa? Kino. Hurst? Kino.
Even fucking Gallagher managed to write a better serious story.(Mecha Madness)

Because it makes no sense. Batman started gritty, and your point was that he didn’t. You’re a dumbass that doesn’t do his research desperately trying to move goalposts.

Should Batman never be lighthearted because it started dark? That's the logic here.

Bump

No, because a man dressed as a bat with a ward wearing short shorts fighting a clown and a guy who looks like a penguin lends itself to a sillier tone just as easily.

Look at the difference between those characters dumbass. One looks like Mickey Mouse with a gun, the other looks like a gritty monster creature.