Aliens being burned by water in Signs doesn't make sense because the aliens should have been able...

>Aliens being burned by water in Signs doesn't make sense because the aliens should have been able, due to their technology, to know that the water on the earth was dangerous for them
I don't get why this bothered people so much.

Let's imagine for a moment that we're in space looking for something we need really badly (the movie wasn't explicit about what the aliens were looking for, but the director said it was psychics) and we find it on an alien planet. The problem is, it rains sulfuric acid. But the good news is, it rains acid in a very predictable way, so we can easily avoid it. So simple solution: go down to the planet to look for the things we need when it isn't raining, leave before it starts raining again.

1. The aliens do not understand weapons. They evolved with strong natural weapons so their brains don't work like ours do in that regard, so the idea that humans would throw water at them simply never occurred to them.
2. Similarly, they don't wear clothing, presumably for similar reasons: they're well adapted for whatever environment they evolved in and never needed to develop that way of thinking. So they never thought to wear protective suits when coming to Earth because they don't think that way.

Attached: Signs_alien.jpg (1409x1600, 178K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UH8liVnrU5o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

they were demons not aliens

>they didn't think that way
>spacefaring species

That’s literally just a black person

shut the fuck up; the rest of the world kills the aliens with regular, non-holy water

they had spaceships....

>They evolved with strong natural weapons so their brains don't work like ours do in that regard, so the idea that humans would throw water at them simply never occurred to them.
Is this the same species that has achieved interstellar travel?

There's water everywhere. Even in the air, but somehow... the aliens were able to survive without a special suit.

Mayne shamylan is just fucking dumb? Most of his other movies would suggest that's the case

They sent their weaklings down without any technology so they didn't have to worry about losing it. The aliens were desperate and looking for humans for an unknown reason so they pulled up, grabbed as many as they could and dipped.

It's a bit worse that that
>it rains sulfuric acid
>planet's surface is mostly sulfuric acid
>every single lifeform has sulfuric acid in their body
>dominant species pumps sulfuric acid everywhere
>there's even some suspended in the air
I think I like the demon/holy water theory more

>implying demons can't have spaceships

UFOs depicted as a bucket of bolts crash landing on Earth has always annoyed me. Any species that can master space travel can probably land the fucker too.

A BAT-PANTRY DOOOOOOOOOR?

>that feelio when you are high IQ so you know they are demons and not aliens

Attached: 1542952831356.jpg (470x470, 31K)

>Similarly, they don't wear clothing, presumably for similar reasons: they're well adapted for whatever environment they evolved in
Then why use spaceships, why not just fly with jetpacks?

I think they would have worked out the benefits of clothing while developing space flight.

Did you quote Scary Movie 3?

The Earth has 37 million billion gallons of water vapour in the air anyway though

>they're well adapted to the environment they evolved in
Good thing for them that the movie takes place in an environment they evolved in, then. Not to mention space travel in general.
Was this their first space flight + invasion? Is that what it was?

yes, the concentration of water in the air is the same as in a glass of water
how can you even breathe being that dumb?

Imagine visiting mustafar as a human and being surprised when a horta throws a glob of lava at you

Explain air born allergens then

I enjoyed this film and actually appreciate it more now. But the problem with the ending is that it's so contrived, it comes across not as the divine plan it was meant to be, but the clumsy machination of a writer who sees himself as divine. Given this is Shamalama at the height of his ego, this is entirely plausible, and distasteful.

They're aliens user, but they're supposed to represent angels, not demons. They came here to help us, but instead find our instinctive hostility towards them based simply on their appearance and demeanor, and our own self-created fear of extra terrestrials. They're from a pacifist utopia with little interplanetary relationships so encountering violent humans completely caught them off guard. That one alien was trying to cure Mel Gibson's daughter's asthma but predictably, it got it's shit pushed in. The point of the movie that humanity is so lost we would be unable to recognize help if it ever appeared. Gibson's character becomes a better person by the end, so in a way, the aliens achieved their goal by helping a few people like him because they were turned into a common enemy.

>be Shabambylon alium
>melt on contact with water
>fly 50,000 lightyears to a planet that's 65% water, rains water, has water vapor in the air, to harvest creatures that are primarily made of water

The plot hole isn't that they dissolved on contact with water but that they didn't instantly melt the second they opened their spacecraft doors. Without space suits on they presumably breathed in the air, which means their lungs would have melted and caused hemorrhaging immediately.

Water molecules don't burn our skin, anony.

Anyways, I'm going back to bed and your argument is invalid. Good day.

Biggest mistake in film was showing the aliens, it was really creepy when you saw it in the reflection of the tv then they ruined it

Attached: signs16.png (967x543, 454K)

And that other alien fella who came to celebrate a kids birthday but was shooed away

seriously it's identical to a black woman without her weave in

All water is holy

this is like the third or fourth thread on this shit in the past 2 days. who fucking cares you fucking retards

Clearly you for bothering to notice. Also:
>waaaah we can't discuss the same topic more than once because we all live on Yea Forums 24/7 right waaaaaah

They come, not to conquier or to destroy or civilisation.
They did not expected to be fought off

it's the same goddamn arguments over and over, what more can be gleaned from this shit? also, they're fucking demons. m night said so. dingbats

Maybe this is like a fraternity's dumb initiation rite, they have to come down and steal some wimmenz from a dangerous place so they can have friends at alien university.

why are they breaking into people's homes, killing dogs, and taking little girls hostage then?

but there isn't lava in the air in that place

>Biggest mistake in film was showing the aliens
We saw 1 and in the shadows.
Don't complain about it since nobody could ever see their faces

m night is a retard for assuming audiences would consider rain as holy

not the guy youre talking to but you can ignore the thread if it doesnt interests you

>We're on Yea Forums
>You can discuss movies here
>but
>you can't discuss Star Wars
>you can't discuss capeshit movies
>you can't discuss movies like Signs
What can we discuss again?

It's almost like there's levels to toxicity.

I wasnt here, so fuck you, incel.

If a neutral chemical like H2O burns you, diving into a planet that's not only mostly water but also has water vapor in the air constantly is one of the most retarded things one could do.

Why would demons use spaceships?
Why would demons make signs in crop fields like aliens did years before?
Why would demons use invisible spaceships?

Attached: Signspaceships.png (340x223, 27K)

>What can we discuss again?
Cunny
Mommy Milkies
Brappers

Sigh...
Somehow, the aliens are weak to water

Attached: 1580592807086.jpg (3024x4032, 1.29M)

It never bothered me because I always viewed them as modern-folklore aliens, rather than science fiction aliens.

I really really doubt shamaylan or wathever his gay name is thought about any of this for more than a second

>The movie is about Gibson’s character issues with faith
>His daughter’s birth is describe as a miracle
>She drinks the water, leaves it around all over the place.
>He was a man of the lord so no doubt he blessed his house
>Crop Circles can be interpreted as sigils
>One of the news says they were defeated in Israel were water isnt plenty but faith is strong
>They got hooves for feet
>We never see any spaceships just lights in the sky
>Somehow a space faring civilization didn’t do any readings on the composition of the planet
>Came down without guns, without suits, without any type of transport vehicle to be seen
>The entire movie hinges on faith, religion.
>No but they’re actually Aliens

Just shut the fuck up

>Why would demons use spaceships?
who are you to say they're spaceships? those are literally just lights in the sky.
>Why would demons make signs in crop fields like aliens did years before?
ritual symbols bud, and what evidence is there that aliens made them in the past?
>Why would demons use invisible spaceships?
however they traveled, why wouldn't you choose invisible transport? clearly you gotta plan shit out before you start possessing people

It makes no sense because there's moisture in the air all the time. They would basically dissolve in our atmosphere.

>modern-folklore aliens
they got fucking spaceships

To be fair he didn't even bring a present. no one likes a freeloader at a kid's party

>who are you to say they're spaceships? those are literally just lights in the sky.
>however they traveled, why wouldn't you choose invisible transport? clearly you gotta plan shit out before you start possessing people
Then what the fuck were those lights that can turn invisibles?

invisible lights, duh

Then why were they all over the world? An intelligent being would be able to understand that they should send an emissary first to broker relations instead of sending a full force to "help"

>invisible lights, duh
for what purpose?
Why would demons needs these things?

I can't believe my dad took me to see this when I was 10 years old. I HATE clicking noises because of this.

how are we to understand the machinations of the otherworldly, user? they chose to travel that way. might as well deal with it

And...? People like you have a very limited understanding of intellect, individual ants dont have the slightest hint of intelligence yet they are capable of performing more complex tasks than a lot of mammals, evolution can go in lots of directions given enough time.

>The plot hole isn't that they dissolved on contact with water but that they didn't instantly melt the second they opened their spacecraft doors
This *100. What the fuck was Shyamalan thinking? Water is so plentiful the only place they'd be safe would be underground or in the desert.

>it rains acid in a very predictable way, so we can easily avoid it
Still, you would've thought they'd at least put a protective suit on just in case wouldn't you?

you posted this thread yesterday

>lungs
You don't know if they have lungs or not you pleb

>more complex tasks than a lot of mammals
What the fuck are you smoking user
Name one complex task ants can do better

How hard would it be for them to wear a Hazmat suit that blocks water
Or even regular waterproof clothing

you need to bone up on ufology

There's lots of water underground

>humanoid spacefaring aliens can't grasp the idea of weapons and not going to a planet full of an element that hurts them
It's a stretch and you know it

Plot holes aside I really enjoyed this movie

An extremely easy way to fix this issue is to have a plot point where they say the water of the town was contaminated with something. Mud or algae, something not harmful to humans.
Or say that fluoride killed the aliens.
Boom....problem solved. Is that easy.
They even hinted that the water was bad with the little girl.

This is the most retarded plot hole on earth

>the water was holy because his daughter spit in it
that's fucking retarded. Also blessing his house didn't do so shit if the demons could still walk inside it no problem

this is an unsatisfying response

Based and christpilled

No its absolutely not if you would just use your imagination for a second im sure you could come up with multiple reasons why they behaved like they did.

Now factor in that they are supposed to posess a mind that evolved entirely independent from us or our environment.

you mean infrared mutt

They can build structures for example.

Very few mammals do that.

it's the demons they were burned by holy water

Just because it's retarded doesn't mean that it isn't the plot. They're demons and if you had an IQ of above 75 you'd be able to connect the dots and see that everything alluded to the "aliens" being demons

Water has all kinds of organisms in the water, bacteria and shit. Theres hormones and medicine people flush

Very easy plot hole to fix

If they could think of protecting themselves from vacuum with a spaceship they could think of protecting themselves from acid with a suit.

Technically if demons come from outer space that also makes them aliens.

>go to a planet
>see it's full of toxic elements
>GO AWAY
Why didn't they?

Who said they think at all? Maybe the first 5 million aliens sent to space died until their hive-mind opted to try vacuum protection? Maybe their entire species learns like an AI?

but we never see them in space. we only see lights in the sky

>imagine the excuses for the plotholes
Yes, I could do that but honestly, I don't care enough about Signs to do so.

>factor in that they are supposed to posess a mind that evolved entirely independent from us or our environment
They were able to exist in our environment without any protective elements so theirs can't be that different. They also had ample to time to observe humanity. It just doesn't add up.

>Technically if demons come from outer space that also makes them aliens.
T. Ancient Astronauts Theorist

The popular theory is that they were in danger or dying and needed humans quickly

That’s the obvious answer and that’s what HG Wells did, Shamalan’s problem is he has to try to make it look like an original idea so he can’t use microbes.

>they were slaves ordered by a higher evolved species
>they were drones of a species that learns by trial and error
>they were desperate
>their knowledge is incredibly specific and they simply never encountered water in its liquid form
>its part of a ritualistic behaviour

Just some ideas.

Its really not plotholes when it comes to aliens.
It would be a plothole if their behaviour seemed familiar to us.

They were breaking into a house. Human or alien I'd fucking kill them.

Dude, there's like humidity in the atmosphere. If you wanna just get down to it, there's a lot of water/ice/vapor in this planet, and they should have know that toxic shit was abundant to the point we pump it everywhere.

They must've known that H2O is toxic to them. Before just going out into an alien planet's atmosphere they must analyze its contents to make sure it's breathable for them.

Its stupid, whatever, argue that they could not have known WE'RE not killed by water, but you can't argue against how stupid it was they didn't know this instakill shit was lying around everywhere.

>It would be a plothole if their behaviour seemed familiar to us.
Why? Since there are no known alien species IRL, for all we know, aliens might follow similar evolutionary path and respond to stimuli in a similar manner as we do. Especially if they are humanoid.

>they were drones of a species that learns by trial and error
I’ve heard that theory about irl greys before, that they’re biological android drones produced by a probably mechanical probe sent by a distant or possibly extradimensional intelligence, it supposedly explains a lot of weird observations by contactees.

Iwish they had replace the water with coke or pepsi
A global soda. Something sold everywhere.
Have the girl leave pepsi everywhere

they killed a few people and a dog and you call them good?

how many species on our own planet work like we do? dolphins and pigs have been shown to possess far more cognitive ability than their meager little lives should account for, yet there it is.

a sentient pig or dolphin would be incomprehensible and we're basically next door to it

FUCK IM DROWNING
HELP

even Indian water?

>how many species on our own planet work like we do?
A lot. Mammals are variations on the same blueprint and that's we are able to understand their behavior.

If I throw a glass full of pollen on your arm will it melt off to the bone?

So what exactly were the aliens or demons even attempting to do by walking around naked and shooting knockout gas on people?

They might not have a concept of privacy or territory

one wanted to go to a birthday party. another wanted to run naked in a corn field. one had the munchies and raided gibsons pantry, also that one was a pedophile and wanted a boy of his own

Except the bad news is that there’s sulfuric acid in gaseous form, just like there’s water vapor in the atmosphere on earth.

Kino about the political and existential crises caused by the discovery of extra-terrestrial life when?

The water had STDs
The girl had herpes.

You know, I can't remember any proof of the aliens actually being evil, it seems that it's the humans who freak out and attack them.

I mean I can see a dog as a hostile alien to them

The alien plot doesn't make sense beacuse it's not a sci fi story. It's a story about regaining faith, with shoddy alien invasion cosmesis

If you invade that alien's farm of course he is gonna try to murder you

>The water had STDs
>The girl had herpes.

Attached: bullshit I believe.jpg (213x570, 43K)

>the rest of the world
All we know is that the Middle East was the first place to start repelling them. i.e. a holy land with very little water.

The aliens are demons, the water used to kill them is holy (as all water is holy to some degree) and the bat that Merrill uses is a sword.

>bat that Merrill uses is a sword.
that bat didn't had the form of a cross as any other sword

this film traumatised me as a kid. i used to leave glasses of water in my room and never open the curtains

isn't there water in the air anyway? Why didn't they burn up just being exposed to our atmosphere?

>film traumatised me as a kid
Poor little boy

It didn't need to. It's usage was subtly symbolic.

I just re-watched the scene. Merrill holds the end of the bat at the demon, as if to threaten it with a thrust. Baseball bats could not do such a thing. A sword could. He wields it as if it were a sword.

Attached: Signs.png (546x605, 265K)

lvl9999 mental gymnastic

>Invade Earth
>Start by sending pairs of nudists to harass farmers
>Nudists get splashed with water
>Call off invasion
Trash.

>lvl9999 mental gymnastic
How is it mental gymnastics when I literally explained it to you? Are you American? You're certainly stupid enough.

Same. I had abig jar of water
Slept with lights on

>MOVE CHILDREN, VAMANOS

Attached: signs-joaquin-phoenix.jpg (646x431, 21K)

fbpb

They don't understand weapons but they understand man-made barriers?
Bruh...

>why do they use spaceships?
There are no spaceships in the movie. There are only lights in the sky, which are a symbol of the end times.
>the water isn't even holy!
All water is holy. Jesus is a water deity. They were also defeated in the Middle East where there isn't even much water, implying other holy attacks.
>what about the crop circles?!
What makes you think they're alien symbols? They're demonic sigils. There are even sigils drawn on their bodies. And they have cloven hooves.

Strawman. The original point was if water kills them on contact, and there's water in the air then why didn't they die?

>muh simbolism
>3deep5u
You are just one of those idiots who integrate movies with their headcanon, instead of sticking to what's on screen.
You aren't smart, your thoughts aren't deeper, you are just an olympic level mental gymnast

It wasn't holy air

>demons from hell were unleashed all over the planet just so one guy in rural Pennsylvania could regain his faith

The movie was literally a movie about God having a plan to save this family and help the father regain his faith.
Not just for him, but he was part of God's plan like everyone, yes.

Honestly never heard of them being demons until these threads, and if it's true then I like the movie a whole lot more.

Fuck you guys, here's a real question:
What the fuck did they do to that dog?

Attached: 1562069972245.jpg (449x600, 96K)

>The movie was literally a movie about God having a plan to save this family and help the father regain his faith.
Yes, with shoddy alien invasion cosmesis.

have sex

Attached: men in black cockroach1.jpg (355x417, 40K)

That they made crop circles and that there were lights in the air implies those circles were intended to be seen from the air.
I guess demons come from above.

I would legitimately be having too much fun killing aliens with a super soaker to even consider any greater meaning. God’s plan was stupid.

vaccum of space kills u

build protective layer around so u dont die

water kills u

dont build protective layer around u and u die

The water was full of estrogen from birth control
The aliens were such mra incels that the touch of of female hormones burnt their bodies.

>That they made crop circles
They're magical demonic circles. Never heard of the Lesser Key of Solomon? They're used for summoning.
>there were lights in the air
That's just a traditional sign of the end times. It's a cosmological symbol that big shit is happening. The falling birds are a symbol of the same.
Why are you so dead set on them being aliens when there's nothing in the movie to suggest it compared to all the evidence of demons?

Why? That makes it even dumber.

Everything has to be hard sci-fi or it's SHIT. SHIT.

>Why would demons use spaceships?
Why not? Why would demons not use spaceships how else would they travel around space?
>Why would demons make signs in crop fields like aliens did years before?
to attracted aliens.
>Why would demons use invisible spaceships?
because they can lmao?

Watch the baby monitor scene with the understanding that they're demons. The sounds they pick up sound like Hell, not aliens.
youtube.com/watch?v=UH8liVnrU5o

Haven’t seen the movie in years so correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t there a scene where they see news footage showing a bird flying into something in the sky which heavily implies it’s a cloaked spaceship?

See Lights in the sky and falling birds are Christian symbols of the end times. Of course they try to make you assume it's a cloaked spaceship, but you're supposed to be able to put everything together afterwards.

In other words M. Night tried to have it both ways because he sucks.

It's a movie about religion. He just knew if he didn't outright say it people would assume it was an alien invasion movie because of the times we live in. Of course, some students of the occult would say there's no difference. Pic related is a 'demon' Aleister Crowley claimed to have regular contact with.

Attached: 1563619825041.jpg (978x951, 166K)

The bird didn’t just run into nothing. It clearly hit a physical object in the sky.

I’ll say this about his movies: they’re pretty well made but they exist inside this alternate reality bubble that immediately pops when you try to prod it with any kind of outside logic.

>advances species of extra terrestrials
>walks around completely naked

Or you could go the lovecraft route amd say it's for a reason incomprehensible to humans.
Where the fuck is that Lovecraft meme that's like the doge meme and it says 'niggers' at the bottom? I wanted to post that here.

why not?

Them making underground bases already blows 90% of mammals out of the fucking water

Link to the fallen birb shit? I'm unfamiliar with thay reference.

That something awful interview is completely fake by the way. I know someone posted it here yesterday.

user...

I'd prefer her to leave bepis everywhere.

>You are just one of those idiots who integrate movies with their headcanon, instead of sticking to what's on screen.
You aren't smart, your thoughts aren't deeper, you are just an olympic level mental gymnast

Attached: 1579524681831.jpg (708x800, 95K)

So water is the quickest way to kill the alien-demons but Mel Gibson also simply chopped off the fingers of the one that was trapped in a pantry. If that’s the case, wouldn’t good old fashioned bullets also do the trick?

Ayy lmao

What weird observations? I've never heard anything that could convince me that they're anything but bio but with crazy advanced tech.

Ayy lmao

/thread

Some of them were probably shot to shit, but they trade force for stealth.
Wish they'd have shown what was happening across the world during the war, but I understand the journey was with the characters, I just still like to imagine it sometimes.
The scenario is unique.

Yeah but see . Even if you want them to be demons, the movie showed that they could be harmed by other methods than water. Not once did anyone try to just shoot them? In a rural farming area in Pennsylvania where just about everyone would have at least a hunting rifle?

>Why are you so dead set on them being aliens when there's nothing in the movie to suggest it compared to all the evidence of demons?
Everything in the movie suggests that they are alien, tho. Everything is just ufology shit 101.
Just stick to what's on screen

Demonfags utterly BTFO

biggest mistake was greenlighting this piece of shit in the first place

>Magical crop circles
>end of times
>demons
>blah blah
Watch some episode of X-Files

I think it's supposed to be taken either way, along with the "swing away" stuff and the boy's asthma being there, like the girl's hypochondria, to save them. Either it was the universe just happening to fall into place or it was God.

Based God sending down the least effective alien invasion of all time so Mel could get his faith back and the rest of the earth could have fun squirting them. Also: somewhere on earth, some guy 100% incapacitated one of the aliens and then repeatedly raped it.

And that makes sense given the conversation between Joaquin and Mel when they're on the sofa after the lights appear. It's up to the audience to choose what they believe.

yes, it's a story about a man trying to reconnect with God. This happens during an alien invasion.

I bet that butthole was rough, considering the aliens don't contain water.

If only they could have mastered the technology of raincoats

>the idea that humans would throw water at them simply never occurred to them

I pin-point this statement as particularly retarded in an already pretty dense take

Here, breathe this bag of mustard gas, don't worry, it's just vapors really

They were looking for psychics? Source me, sempai

Were they???????????

So what was flying around the air? Specks of ice? Water sparks?

It was a silver knife.
Lethal for demons

Kek good thing the owner of the house was chopping veggies with his silver blade kitchen knife when the alien walked in.

Attached: reply or your mom die in her sleep.jpg (970x600, 189K)

they were aliens who happened to be demons. this is obvious if you paid attention. water alone isn't enough to harm them - they stand on a shingled barn rooftop at night which would have condensation on it during a summer evening, and they walk through a cornfield which would also be full of condensation, but the aren't injured here. they are injured by the water in the 3rd act because this water happened to be water drawn from a holy man - it is holy water.

Shyamalama said they were demons and all the water in the world is holy