Why didnt they just train astronauts how to drill instead of training drillers how to become astronauts???

Why didnt they just train astronauts how to drill instead of training drillers how to become astronauts???

Attached: armageddon_4.jpg (1024x680, 143K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=INLo0Zr0_lA
youtube.com/watch?v=cEnWGYagMno
youtube.com/watch?v=xPGHBJZQ0y4
youtube.com/watch?v=EkM88GnQN8M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

There wouldn't be a movie otherwise

shu
shu
shut the fuck up

Anybody can be an astronaut, but to dig a hole, it takes an elite specimen

wtf why is adam sandler standing second from the right

It was always a big meme, but it makes complete sense in the context of the movie. They kinda did the career astronauts dirty by making them look like idiots in some places (building the drill backwards), but otherwise I don't think it's a stretch.

They only need astronauts to pilot the spacecraft to get to the comet. They people doing the drilling don't need any specific astronaut abilities (other than generic training in how to use their suits, etc), they're literally just along for the ride. This is long past the Apollo era and nobody has stood on the surface of a comet before, so none of the astronauts would be significantly better prepared for the EVA conditions.

At the same time, the sort of high-tech drilling they're trying to do is portrayed as needing some degree of experience and nuance. It's not just a "hue hue astronauts too dumb to make hole take redneck instead", they need the expertise to when and how to cut through the different types of material to get to the depth required. Especially for such an alien environment, you could argue that said experience would be in even greater demand.

So the movie's choice to take the drillers instead of trying to train astronauts makes sense. Have the career astronauts do the piloting and whatever general "astronauting" for the mission, and just keep the drillers alive in the back of the ship long enough for them to operate their machinery. You only need a few pilots to get them there, and afterwards successfully getting the hole dug is THE most important part of the mission. Everything after that (safely returning home, etc), is entirely secondary.

All that said, the ratio of astronaut-to-driller is a bit over the top. A more even mix would have made more sense, and it probably wouldn't have rated so highly on the meme charts. But whatever.

My right or your right?

youtube.com/watch?v=INLo0Zr0_lA this

>Just point it at the ground and turn it on

Bruce Willis explains it, its because they'e the best god damn team of drillers in the world and nobody else can get it done in the time they have besides them. Put your phone down in the first 30 minutes of any movie and all of your questions are answered

Damn, haven't seen this movie in ages. Might do it now.

Shut the fuck up, Ben

Why didn't they get the eagles to just drill the hole?

I thought of a sequel to this movie that would be so mindblowingly phenomenal you fuckers couldn't handle it.

5 stars post

What movie

Looks more like Ben Affleck to me.

It holds up, I'd call it one of the greatest flicks ever mad.

Is it the black guy drilling your gf?

This movie is really an extraordinary look into the mindset of America at the time it was made. It's almost surreal, as if it was meant to encapsulate the era's ideology into one preposterous film for future generations to watch and gain insight.

Fast 10 your seat belts: Armageddon.

>A deadly comet is heading for earth and the US government has to hire LA FAMILIA to detonate a bomb on a specific location on the comet.
>LA FAMILIA is given access to moon buggies with nitros and shit
>Charlize Theron tries to stop LA FAMILIA
>ends with Charize on a coma

Fast 11 Off
>Vin Diesel has to trade faces with Charlize Theron to infiltrate a prison.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 149K)

It does have this scene.
youtube.com/watch?v=cEnWGYagMno

I know, isn't it great? I can't get over how good this movie is, it's got layers in ways no other movie has. It works as a thriller, it works as a romance story, it works as propaganda. I love it.

Would any of those city slicker astronauts been willing to sacrifice himself to set off the nuke like Bruce Willis did? Unlikely

Based Colonel Sharp would have
youtube.com/watch?v=xPGHBJZQ0y4

Any other propaganda kinos? Funny jingoistic ones, not shit like Potempkin

it's a stupid movie, made by stupid people, for stupid people.

this is why the doom video game novels (four of them) aren't just stupid shti

yes. in fact they'd be more likely to. many astronauts are military pilots

Because they came with the aerosmith song

>Fast 10 you seatbelts
I lol’ed.

They should hire you

Any real life astronaut would.

That's a rational explanation but I can assure you that's not what Bay had in mind. He just wanted fuck yeah murica Joes saving the world.

Armageddon still has the best president's speech and rocket launch ever put to film.
youtube.com/watch?v=EkM88GnQN8M
Nolan learned a lot of this film when he copied it to make Interstellar.

Reminds me of Face/Off.

They go to the trouble of coming up with of ludicrous explanation Nicolas Cage geting John Travolta face when medically they would have realistically needed to attach it him anyway.

damn dude, I dont even want to know. its better if i dont.

You joke, but I'd actually watch a movie of Theron playing Vin diesel playing himself.

kek

Attached: 1582849619656.jpg (600x315, 16K)

Nigga, who do you think goes to space anymore? Just STEM nerds given 0g training. The USAF pilot is just a glorified bus driver.

Cringe

Just like Julia and Julia. Explaining the parallels would be redundant as it’s abundantly clear to see wouldn’t you agree?

Cuz its easier and contrary to popular belive astronauts do fuck shit in those cans, ground control nerds are sending human rats in space and bet who do better.

fuck now I need to watch this again

If an astronaut sharts they have to go around the space station collecting pop fragments in a little bag. If it hasn’t happened yet it will eventually.

Astronauts wear adult diapers all the time, you cant have acidental leek or shart in station.

Blocks you're path

Attached: 51okvG4QmvL._SY445_.jpg (312x445, 40K)

Great cgi, rly made me wow back as kid

This movie is over 25 years old

We still have no solution to the asteroid threat and are literally sitting ducks

We dont have solution to jews and niggers man, why would we look to skies when we are knee deep in shit on this rock?

>protag saves the day AT THE LAST SECOND

To be fair, it's not really a problem as presented in these sorts of films.

1) We've surveyed the inner solar system pretty well, and we know of all the stable-orbit asteroids that could cause a global issue for the Earth. None of these are of any significant risk in the immediate future.

2) Of the smaller inner solar system objects that require deeper surveys (or are only discovered when passing close by), detection limits on size are such that these would only cause "local" damage. That might still mean a fuck ton of damage if it got a direct hit on a city, but that's low likelihood anyway ... and the point of their being too small to detect with reasonable surveys is that we wouldn't know about them until they were very close, at which point we couldn't do fuck about them anyway.

3) The risk of GLOBAL issues comes from outer solar system objects (eg. comets disrupted from Kupiter belt or Ort Cloud). They can be on such huge orbits that they'd be so far out and so dim that we just can't find them until they're already on their approach towards the inner solar system. It's INCREDIBLY unlikely that such an object would happen to hit such a small target as the Earth though. As with (2) if it's an unknown object, we might only get a few months of notice depending on which survey telescopes were active at the time. It's also very likely that this type of object could be near impossible to divert (destroying them doesn't work, you need to shove them off course, which requires a LOT of time, or a FUCK TON or energy).

Soooo, yeah. The main issue is with detection, but deep(er) all-sky surveys are expensive as fuck (though they have great returns for astronomy). There are some techniques we could use to divert some of these objects so long as we know about them in advance, so it is a program we should probably properly formalize ... but at the end of the day, we're talking about stuff with a relatively low probability in the near-to-medium term future.

>It's INCREDIBLY unlikely that such an object would happen to hit such a small target as the Earth though.
It already happend at least once.

duncan is dead you fucking nigger. show some hespect

Sure, I should have clarified there as I did towards the end of the post that I meant that such an impact is very unlikely in the near-to-medium term. It's absolutely a given when talking about astronomical time frames, but it's something that is very unlikely to happen within the next few human generations.

Yeah, once in how many billions of years?

Fact is, anything coming into the solar system is much more likely to get pulled into Jupiter or the Sun than hit relatively tiny Earth.

Because nobody would believe a nigger being an astronaut.

>Because drilling is a science, I've been doing it all my life and still ain't got it all figured out. You wanna send these boys to space fine, I'm sure they'll make real good astronauts. But they dont know jack about drilling.

He literally explained why in the movie

Attached: william-fichtner-armageddon-1998-movie-photo-GC1.jpg (610x410, 135K)

>americans wear diapers to space to contain their sharts
cant make this shit up

user, maybe you love the film and it works in the fantasy of it, fine, but in reality that would make zero sense.

Drilling is easy and astronauting is hard. "Generic training to use suits, etc" is hard as fuck, there is a bunch of advanced equipment to master, you need to be in peak performance, perfect health, handle extreme situations that goes from heat, cold, more gravity, less gravity, even claustrophobia, there are a million protocols on how to react to a million different scenarios. And they are all engineers and shit, that probably would have no trouble creating drills.

It's a gimmick to do it the other way around, they play with it with some humour, but that's it. Otherwise the movie wouldn't exist.

And Russians. And Chinese. And any country with a space program

Drilling ain’t easy

Compared to shitposting it ain't. Compared to astronaut work, it is.

>Compared to shitposting it ain't
I'll have you know I've been mastering the art of shitposting for the better part of three decades and your mom is gay

>Drilling is easy and astronauting is hard.
Even if drilling were "easy", all of what you wrote is still irrelevant. Getting the hole drilled and the bomb delivered is the only thing that matters in this scenario. You need some astronauts to physically pilot the shuttles to the comet, but otherwise the top priority is the drilling. The point the movie makes - whether totally realistic or not - is that drilling requires some level of experience that you probably can't just pick up in the space of a few days/weeks/however-long-they-have-in-the-film. So long as you have some astronauts on board to do the required astronauting - which they did - just take the drillers to do the rest. Give them some basic training in how to use an EVA suit, get them to the surface of the comet. Then just let them get the fuck on with it, with the understanding that they're basically disposable as far as the Earth is concerned. Getting home is entirely secondary, getting the hole dug is all that matters.