Was he a reliable narrator?

Was he a reliable narrator?

Attached: schnook.png (2406x1358, 918K)

>gangster
>reliable
what do you think

Reliable narrator meme needs to die. Every story is how the movie tells it

In the movie yes, in real life no. Notice how Henry never kills anyone in the movie, but he must have made his bones IRL.

He implied Tommy was going to say the N-Word.

I don't think Tommy would do that.

Fuck no

Sometimes it is implied the character is lying though.

digits confirm

Attached: frag red.jpg (237x280, 42K)

Did he though? I thought most of them are just moneymakers and the occasional few due to lack of talent end up doing the hitman work

>but he must have made his bones IRL
not really, he could never be a made man

It's just an amusing story, it doesn't mean anything.

I think he's meant to be a reliable narrator — if you make allowance for the fact that he's deluded about the whole Mafia ethos. But it's made obvious when we aren't supposed to sympathise with his world-view.

For example, when he says "all Pauli did was offer protection for people who couldn't go to the cops", clearly we aren't meant to believe that.

Or (more obviously) when Karen says "we were proud we had husbands who were prepared to go out and hustle to get the little extras", and exactly as she says "little extras" the camera sweeps past a huge, opulent wardrobe with about a million dresses in. Scorsese is saying pretty clearly, what she calls "the little extras" is greed and self-indulgence gone absolutely psycho.

But Henry is not an "unreliable narrator" as the term is usually used.

dilate

Made man or not, nobody wants some associate hanger-on that never gets his hands dirty.

Well it means /something/. It's the classic rags to riches to rags tale.

Good post.
I only sometimes wonder if certain scenes are visually portrayed "inaccurately", particularly ones with Henry's narration overlaid. Unlikely but worth a thought

he admitted to killing 3 people on Howard Stern

That's not the point. In most criminal gangs, it's a requirement to commit some particularly extreme crime (usually murder), for two reasons:
a) to make sure someone isn't an undercover cop / reporter / etc
b) so the person is "committed", i.e. so he dare not back out and go to the cops

That was Morris desu. Henry was complicit, "helped" plenty

Attached: morrie.jpg (480x360, 18K)

YOU DON'T GOT MY FUCKIN MONEY?

We actually agree, we just worded it differently. Someone who doesn't get his hands dirty is a potential danger for the reasons you cited.

who gives a fuck. most overrated movie ever

Fabula and syuzhet exist. If you insist on thinking otherwise you're deliberately seeing something as flat that's often meant to have depth. You're missing out.

that would be godfather

That would be Vertigo. But you're obviously lonely and in need of (you)s, so here's one. Chin up, user.

Scorsese uses another unreliable narrator in The Irishman.

OH NIGG--

Attached: OH N-.jpg (219x138, 7K)

everyone that knew him says that he was a liar. And of course he was an honest to god actual rat fink stoolie fuck, ay

In his Stern interviews he comes across as a drunk, scummy sort of shmucky character. He probably did get into most of that shit from the movie but i'm sure alot was exaggerated and alot was taken out to make himself look better.

“I was 31 years old”

No, Henry oversold what he actually did irl and the whole film is actually from the perspective of his testimony to the feds up until the trial.

Other way around. Most made guys are retards with zero business sense and are just muscle. They get neetbux from the few big earners, who are protected at all costs.

>PRICED TO FIT ANY BUDGET

Attached: HURRICANE WINDS.jpg (1280x720, 82K)

>KAREN THAT WAS ALL THE CHANTIX WE HAD

Attached: 53176202_247925076148720_310954854841319424_o.jpg (960x943, 95K)

True, the story is embellished, but Henry isn't an unreliable narrator within the context of the movie

"Don't be a gangster and don't do coke, and if you do, be a snitch." I actually endorse snitching, mind you. I have no admiration for people who're loyal to dipshit criminals.

Don’t you only need to make your bones if you wanna get made?

Henry explains it in the Stern interview -- he just killed people Paulie told him to get rid of, all stool pigeons who needed to die.