Who can tell me the difference between a citizen and a civilian?

>Who can tell me the difference between a citizen and a civilian?

Attached: stars.jpg (520x282, 26K)

Why didn't he get himself a new hand? Wasn't it supposed to be the bright technological future?

Based retard

>only those that contribute to society get to vote
Is this such a bad thing?

apart from corruption was unironically a powerful and balanced system of government

A citizen accepts responsibility for the safety of the body politic, defending it with his life. A civilian does not.

That's a great thing, that's how things used to be in the West too. Universal suffrage was the second biggest mistake we did.

Textbook answer

25 years of service in the Legion to obtain Roman citizenship.

Is there some kind of "call to arms" for veterans after they leave their service? How can you defend the nation with your life if you only have a short period of time to do it? Does being a citizen mean youre on the shortlist to be back into military service if the problem reaches homeworlds?
What if youre the guy whos counting caterpillar hairs? How can he defend anything?

Just throw me the damn ball Diz

Verhoeven had to add the part about "reproductive licenses" to make the federation seem more eebul even though it wasn't in the book. He had to make up stuff that wasn't in the book because he was scared people would like the federation too much, and it didn't even work.

MEDIC

the movie was a parody

"serving" a nation is cuck behavior. only cucks serve. bulls get served.

said the ricecel

But the parts of the movie that were immediately taken from the book are good.

>in the book
>"the mobile infantry made me the man I am today"
>the man reveals his two cut off legs
>he is somber but resolute
>the recruits remember this is always the possibility but the risk you take

>in the movie
>"the mobile infantry made me the man I am today"
>the man smiles and admires the recruits for taking his path
>the recruits cringe finally realizing what theyre getting into

What was the dealio with this changio?

>What was the dealio with this changio?
Verhoeven was trying to make the Terrans fascists, but he forgot to actually do that beyond a bit of window dressing.

It's making full use of its medium; the great visual and audio impact of the recruiter shaking Johnny's hand with his own prosthesis, the whirr of the mechanism and the timing dependent reveal of the legs are all things that couldn't have worked in the novel.

So characters actually behave like human beings and not like a fantasy?

If a war were going so poorly as to reach the home world, then citizens, understanding what duty truly meant in their society would be the first to either reenlist or do whatever they could to help. And the Federation would decide in what capacity they could best aid the effort. Even the guy counting caterpillar hairs.

It's anti-semitic.

In the book they put Sgt. Battle Casualty up front for the express purpose of scaring off as many people as possible since training a single recruit for the MI was an expensive process. Until the bug attack on BA the military wasn't being used for anything except minor skirmishes so they gave you every opportunity to drop out rather than continuing to pay for your training, food, and housing. This also made sure the people who stuck it out were the right kind of people.
Rico meets the recruiting sergeant when he leaves the place later that night and didn't recognize him because he had prosthetic limbs that looked and felt like natural limbs. He explains all of the above to him, and then tells him that mobile infantry is for the chadliest of chads and encourages him to push through it.
The majority of the book is rico going through basic training, and then officer school.

Verhoeven admits that he didn’t even read the book. I always suspected the script writer of secretly liking Heinlein and tricking dumb Verhoeven into making the humans objectively good. Verhoeven was too busy banging starlets on the casting couch and snorting cocaine with Weinstein to realize he was making a pro military movie. ‘but, but, but it’s parody!’ (Snorts another line.)

Attached: cocaine.jpg (1200x628, 139K)