Is Buddhism the only viable path to maintain self-esteem and mental well-being in hyper-connected and hyper-competitive...

Is Buddhism the only viable path to maintain self-esteem and mental well-being in hyper-connected and hyper-competitive "current year" world?

Attached: tara-brach.jpg (1280x720, 168K)

Other urls found in this thread:

obo.genaud.net/backmatter/indexes/sutta/sutta_toc.htm
accesstoinsight.org/
suttacentral.net/
seeingthroughthenet.net/books/
buddha-vacana.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I suppose you mean mindfulness? The point of Buddhism is a direct path to enlightenment, not maintaining one's wellbeing.

The westernized and not very Buddhist at all brand of it, perhaps; but from what I can gather, actually pursuing that road is nothing about maintaining any kind of capacity to live in current year world, but rather surpassing it (or any other world for that matter? Shit doesn't really look like self-help when you read into it)

Given the huge amount of awful material and books about Buddhism proliferating in the West which frequently vastly outweighs the good material (which often can't even be found in bookstores) I'd say that things like Sufism, Vedanta etc or even Neoplatonism would probably be better. Also, I once went to a Tara Brach speech and it was exactly the sort of anodyne and sanitized consumer-friendly presentation of Buddhism that you'd expect.

What was the problem with her speech, specifically (if you remember)?

>it was exactly the sort of anodyne and sanitized consumer-friendly presentation of Buddhism that you'd expect.
What is exactly did she say, was it along the lines of "we can all have nice things. All you have to do is have a cool and collected mind, and go with the flow :)"?

By 'awful material', you mean all the people who read Alan Watts and base their idea of Buddhism off of that, branding it in some consumer-friendly, pseudo-spiritual self-help item you'd see on the shelves of a major book retailer? I've never had issues finding good material since it's all in .pdf online, but I suppose the above is your meaning. Not only that, but you could also find a book of sutras in a normal book store which is good.

My real problem is how these people go to infect (is that word too harsh?) Buddhist discussion all over the net, speaking in vague words that mimic a zen speaker while not actually saying anything. I would say that if the state of Buddhist lit is bad, the state of discourse is actually worse, but since they share a common origin it's not worth making a fuss over.

Not him but the central tenet of Tara Brachs' books is that you should accept yourself as you are and stop trying to change yourself in this way or another thinking you'd find happiness, acceptance, success, or whatever if only you were little bit more like this as this is a sure path to psychological self-tornent. This could be interpreted as indulgent since it emphasizes avoiding psychic pain over embracing arduous religious practices to rise above it.

its not

you need to have perspective, you know what hyper-connected and hyper-competitive "current year" world is like, now you have to step out of it. Disconnect, take time off of work and current life and spend at least few months somewhere in the wilderness away from people and civilization, maybe build a wooden cottage or something, then you will gain perspective, what other world is like.

it not necessarily the wilderness but you need to find a your own way to step out and leave behind for some time, after that you will come back but you wont be the same person anymore.

Buddhism is easily corruptible because it uniquely doesn't appeal to the passions, and so those who are particularly attached to their passions but still want all the fancy exotic benefits of being a Buddhist, tend to reframe the entire religion in a way that serves their desires.

Buddhism isn't self-help

What are some good material on Buddhism then?

I’d rather have faith in God through Jesus

Attached: 618F078F-1ADD-4F7C-BE23-3CB473EF7573.jpg (387x464, 28K)

obo.genaud.net/backmatter/indexes/sutta/sutta_toc.htm
accesstoinsight.org/
suttacentral.net/
seeingthroughthenet.net/books/
buddha-vacana.org/

Attached: Buddhism Revised Flowchart.jpg (2712x5224, 3.67M)

Thanks

Always happy to help!

Most people can't actually do this. While camping trips 100 years ago tended to be 30 days or not a real trip, many struggle to go more than a week.
Even bushcrafters who express their love of the outdoors and learning everything they can about it tend to go crazy and crave social interaction (and probably the addiction to 'social media').
Your point is a good one, however people should be aware that it is not easy to disconnect. Some people even get really scared if they go by themselves.

use your Judgment about the books you choose on "buddhism" avoid anything that is self help westernized type stuff. Stick with scholarary academic books, as well as translations of the Sutras with commentaries.

Try reading about Stoic and neoplatonic philosophy as well there more information written on those

thanks user

No problem friend

Attached: 1554419344678.png (1109x1600, 3.67M)

Spoken like a true npc.

That sounds more like taoism desu

>killing your ego and waiting for death
>good

Christians should be banned from Yea Forums.

hey man don't bully the christposters, they won't change their minds if you approach them with condescension.
They'll be more inclined to explore different ideas if they're approached with kindness

based

Obviously Buddhism is not the only way. Buddhism is just a story anyway.

It's all too easy to believe that you have "found the answer... If only everyone else would wake up". It's a common fallacy to fall into.

Follow the path, or don't. Compassion for the perfection of all beings, can be found down any road.

No

No, Dialectic is.

Buddhism is pretty cringe bro. Unless you're literally initiated into a tibetan lineage.

Epicurean is

Posters like this are the cringiest of them all.

maintaining self-esteem and mental well-being in the current year requires you to be a literal psychotic

No, Dianetics is.

Attached: l ron hubbard.jpg (194x266, 15K)

>he doesn't know that all the cringe western hippie buddhists follow tibetan buddhism

>Sufism
Literally the "SWPL" of Islam.

other world?