/film/

Thread for serious discussion of arthouse cinema.

Attached: The Color of Pomegranates [Sayat-Nova] (1970) - 2.webm (700x508, 2.83M)

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!vclCTAbR!XaQKXRHKN3Nden6t69C9Zso_cH8z0PtHqucPyWQe3s4
youtube.com/watch?v=rNFoOHI9iJw
youtu.be/MVt2oYUu5jQ
youtube.com/watch?v=v8LY2VgiikE
rarbg.to/torrent/wunhb1f
youtube.com/watch?v=y7wyfTsIm1k
adamcook.space/posts
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Is this the film student thread?

>going to film school

Attached: 1583212207844.jpg (250x250, 42K)

parajanov was gay lol

Say that to my face not online motherfucker see what happens

Attached: 1582660999118.jpg (1155x1718, 337K)

Finally watched this tonight. I get why people spam it here and actually it's really good, I liked it a lot. I know Ozu was an influence but I think that if Fassbinder was an American he would've made something like this. Of course minus the whole ending sequence.

Attached: riccis.png (1280x720, 372K)

Who watches movies lmao?

Let's discuss the symbolism in Paul Blart: Mall Cop.

I watched Salo today.
Do italians really eat shit?

One of the seminal films

Attached: 1583213736456.gif (220x221, 1.21M)

More like SHARThouse cinema.

why americans pretend to understand arthouse cinema?

No but the perversions in that film are pretty reflective of 70s political radicals

True art isn't made to be understood. It's made to be felt.

Attached: 1563884434037.webm (1536x832, 2.56M)

Tell me about Jumping Man. Why does he wear the mask?

it's also not made to be called arthouse
you're getting jewed

a true masterpiece

Attached: 1582871276805.jpg (800x1200, 628K)

hes ashamed of being black

what does the segway represent? I feel it may be a steed of some kind

Just finished Images (1975) by Robert Altman. What do you guys think of it?

Attached: Images (1972).webm (700x298, 2.78M)

It's obviously a phallic symbol. Note that it is black.

Might as well call it something. There are reasons to classify Images and Bicycle Thieves as something distinct from, say, Casablanca or The Godfather

"Arthouse" is a legitimate genre classification, not different than saying a "horror" or "comedy" film

major films like Bicycle Thieves and Breathless were commercial hits in their native countries, so what's the distinction if "arthouse" also has mainstream appeal?

>An art film is typically a serious, independent film, aimed at a niche market rather than a mass market audience.[1]
Keyword: aimed at. The actual commercial viability is irrelevant

Arthouse aka absolute shite by pseud degenerate poseur faggots mimicking depth while signifying nothing

this post is pure Arthouse

There's nothing to understand
It's masturbation for hipsters

this

>no u

looks disturbing, even without sound

Note the stick in his hand. It's obviously made to resemble an award. Lynch is expertly commenting on the industry's habit of giving minorities unearned awards. He wears the white mask with the long nose, symbolizing the sacrifice of his true identity and desperate attempt to appear more like those he appeals to, i.e. jews.

t. dumb Amerifat

For me it's Problem Child 2, the best movie in the Problem Child franchise.

Attached: problem child 2.jpg (788x1080, 164K)

Is this Gallo? Been meaning to get into his stuff.

No, it's Bingo.

Attached: bingo.jpg (347x512, 97K)

I'm a Brit
Arthouse is unmitigated dross for bored,drugged out,bourgeois poseur faggots - the more meaningless the better
If any arthouse became popular,theyd hate it

Ignore all these stupid trolls OP, probably just stupid amerifats.
Anyway I thought Joker was a really amazing film. Did you ever see it?

God tier troll post. Bravo.

Bingo's suffering is universal

>anyone who realises arthouse is an empty bourgeois exercise in pseudo intellectual masturbation is a fat yank
Ok retard
Joker was derivative and overrated

most Arthouse post I've ever read
a true auteur

I rest my case

dropping Arthouse posts like it's nothing
one Palm d'Or coming up

What was his endgame?

Attached: lizo.gif (480x204, 3.36M)

OP here. Joker was McDonald's art house at its finest

I WANT TO MARRY NICOLE SO MUCH BROS!!!!

Attached: kidfu.jpg (474x201, 12K)

>t. capeshiter
go and make another joker thread or something

so true

>can't even rotate the skull in sync to her hand ascending

not kino

why are so many capeshiters here? they really crave attention

what does Yea Forums think of Jodorowsky? He was defininitely the first arthouse director I ever knew, his movies feel literally poignant and I think his latest film was a masterpiece

Attached: endless+poetry.jpg (900x506, 531K)

what should I watch tonight bros? not got any arthouse on the cards, want something comfy and digestable to finish off my weekend. im thinking either the first Lone Wolf and Cub, og Blade Runner, or cult horror novie Dead and Buried?

Anybody bother paying for Mubi?

>Lone Wolf and Cub
watch it if you haven't, also blade runner is pretty good, watch the final cut

>paying for any form of non physical media
sharn't ever be doing this

Joker was a mediocre attempt at cinema, derivative, shit script, cartoonish characters and manipulative, kind of like those christian movies that come out every spring trying their hardest to convince you turn you into a brainless cultist, but this movie for some reason tries to convince you to sympathize with a creepo that is also a terrible person

I loved The Holy Mountain and El Topo but didn't care too much for Santa Sangre for some reason. It was just a little too silly and gross for me I guess

Attached: Santa Sangre (1989).webm (700x376, 2.89M)

Attached: tfwnofiance.jpg (677x574, 39K)

>impossible to find sharers of rare kino
>dk what to watch from new countries/directors
>rare prints

Attached: sneedy.jpg (932x539, 103K)

>he hasnt recieved his invite to private kino sharing websites
stay mad streamfag

Can anyone please help me find either a good torrent with working subtitles or just the subtitles for the film 'The Horse Thief'? The YouTube version has broken English and the YTS version (which I downloaded) has subtitles when noone is speaking and sometimes doesn't have them when everyone is speaking. And they also differ, in one the wife says "Your mother said you are a horse thief" and in the other "Your mother said she doesn't want bad karma" which really isn't the same... None of the torrents on rarbg seem to work
Thanks in advance.

Based Kidmanposter

he's a very talented director but he also seems like an asshole and his films feel incredibly condescending

Is El Topo a good starting point for him? It's been on my watchlist forever

El Topo was the first one I saw when I found out about him, it's definitely a good starting point

Venom (2018) was high art

mega.nz/#!vclCTAbR!XaQKXRHKN3Nden6t69C9Zso_cH8z0PtHqucPyWQe3s4

Give me arthouse films with good action.

why would you go to film school when you could just go to a cinema???

How do I get into the so-called slow cinema movement? cant find torrents for any movies ive been recommended anywhere

I tried watching this and shut it off half way through out of boredom. According to wikipedia it's one of the greatest films ever made. What does one's iq need to be in order to appreciate a film such as this? Am I doomed to eternal plebdom? Are there really folks out there who sat down, turned on this movie and couldn't take their eyes off the screen? I can't fathom it.

Le cercle rouge

Why does South Korean cinema feel so soulless compared to that of Japan and Taiwan?

they've got some good directors like lee chang dong or hong sang so

but in general it seems like they aspire to copy their american handlers as much as they can

Watched it the other day because of the memeing too. Really fantastic film. Might buy the DVD, and I almost never do that.

Have you tried RARBG, magnet4you or rutracker?

What is your personal ranking of the Dekalog episodes by Krzysztof Kieślowski? For me, it's
1 = 10 > 6 > 7 > 4 > 9 > 5 > 2 = 3 >>>>>>>>> 8

Robert Altman’s most cinematic movie

i once saw an user on some thread asking for sion sono's bad film. it's on rarbg

Thank you. If you don't mind me asking, where did you get it?

Ask me on Easter again, planning on watching two episodes of the thing per day the week prior

i'd recommend godard's les carabiniers to the user asking for arthouse war films last thread. it's a good excuse to watch one of godard's most underrated movies

You have to be a real fruitcake faggot to like arthouse

excellent post honestly

I did not care for this.

Attached: 1805133522_9113d6614d_o.jpg (505x720, 78K)

same.

Diabel is great tho

El Topo is one of my favourite movies ever after me and some friends watched it tripping on synthetic acid in high school, had no clue what it was and could not believe it was made in 1970

So what's the pseud message being sent by this retarded webm scene?

There's more to films and art in general than messages, user

Attached: a.png (1488x1080, 2.33M)

Eh he has like 20 better movies

Attached: 29219id_167_w1600.jpg (1600x900, 164K)

Soviet-era Caucasian filmmaking was heavily oriented toward ethnographic 'tableau vivant' style films. I'm not really sure why, but if I wanted to get really out there I'd venture it might have something to do with their longstanding tradition of Iconography in the context of Orthodox Christianity.
I once had a film professor who had actually done his PhD on Byzantine iconography, but I don't know the details beyond that.

Thoughts?

Attached: 5.png (676x405, 134K)

God is god

The fact that that movie was allowed to be made in the Soviet Union, pre-Perestroika no less, is a miracle.

Mike Leigh has been nominated for Oscars but I would still consider him arthouse.

Im trying to torrent it but ive not been able to get his metadata

Ben was so cool.

>tfw you will never have friends like Ben to go around robbing people and committing murders with

It's on Amazon Prime if you have that

For me? Its This Sporting Life.

Attached: Sporting-life-poster.jpg (220x303, 28K)

If you're going to buy a physical copy, why would you buy a DVD in lieu of a Bluray?

sure, but most of his movies are good enough for a watch

I recently watched Here Is Your Life (1966 Jan Troell). It's a visually beautiful film especially when they depict historic everyday work but I feel the film's idelogical messages are less than subtle.

Visually powerful film. Worth the watch just for that.

Attached: 220px-Hour_of_the_wolf.jpg (220x304, 17K)

Watch Emigrants, New Land and Zandy's Bride if you haven't.

The lady pulling her face off and putting her eyeballs in the glass always stuck with me.

What movie is this from?

Anna Khachiyan?

>needing mubi for any of these

Dogville- just before they massacre the town

thanks for isolating all potential intelligent discussion into a chatroom for retards (read: general) that no intelligent person will ever participate in.

hot

too much prduct placement and unrealistic expectations of women

what do you want to intelligently talk about, friend?

What?

i gotchu senpai

I saw Bergman's first film Crisis yesterday. It is a pretty standard melodrama about a girl being taken away by her birth mother but the camera flushes that Bergman adds make it something more. I like the way the main actress runs right up to the camera during dramatic moments. Lighting was also very nice in it.

Hom come homosexuals are so good at making kino?

Attached: bunch of faggots.png (2800x952, 3.36M)

maybe they werent homos but instead of being incels felt comfy with being gay

They make good art in general.

Attached: T7UeeWj.jpg (2610x2209, 974K)

youtube.com/watch?v=rNFoOHI9iJw

collectivism is one hell of a drug

>No Fassbender
Come on son

Fassbinder is near Eisenstein

Was Ozu actually gay? Calling him gay or incel are both exaggerations.

he was probably bisexual
He got kicked out of school dormitory for writing a love letter to a boy

Gogol was definitely not gay, just an incel

If he was born to day he would surely be a hikki into traps

So you're saying he was ahead of him time? based

Yeah Michael definitely doesnt get enougj recognition

>be american director
>try to do arthouse cinema
>mc is an outcast
>meets girl
>road trip
>cathartic moment involving a gun

ART.

Instead of raping chinese women in Manchuria he was doing films about dating and marriage. Today he would be one of the best visual novel creators

Only when we leave Italy

That's not what poignant means

Talking about gays, I think Pasolini was just gay for banter. He hired young actors to fuck them just for the sake of being an edgy contrarian. Just how he made Il Vangelo secondo Matteo but also Salo

>lol bro I totally only sucked that guy's dick to be edgy and contrarian

Of course, he would whisper no homo after creaming inside some twink's boipussy

he was de underlying presence of god

Attached: tenor.gif (498x331, 543K)

Some months ago a retard here was saying that Mamma Roma was Pasolini's worst but it is actually beautiful and very comfy

>going to films

same thing

torrenting films and watching them while shitposting on Yea Forums is the patrician's choice

Retards are getting mad but this is true

I'll never understand what film-kiddies think is so great about Color of Pomegranates.
All it is, is a vague outline of some guy's life with people in goofy outfits moving their hands slowly. I'm open to being convinced but anytime anyone engages with me about it, it's always just "B-BUT MUH POETRY, IT'S JUST BEAUTIFUL YOU JUST DON'T GET IT".

who here /scottbarleykino/

Attached: sleephasherhouse.jpg (1250x951, 369K)

Retards are getting mad but this is true

virtual drive through the dark and foggy forest.mp4

>bacon
>gay
Is this true?

I watched Pasolini's Oedipus Rex, it was good but i think its my least favorite film of him

What do you think of it?

Why are you so mad that people enjoy it though? It IS poetry, Sayat Nova was a poet, and like any poetry you either enjoy it viscerally or you don't. He has more narrative films too, if that's what you prefer.

I have watched all his films and I'm a big fan of his work. Medea and Edipo re are his weakest films.

Yep, search some interviews with Peppiatt talking about Bacon.

Why you act like you can speak the english?

I am published on Pasolini and Medievalism. Hello.

If you like it you like it, of you don't like it you don't like it. Don't get mad at people who like it just because you don't like it, and don't expect them to convince you to like it.
I couldn't explain the film for shit. All I know is that watching it was a moving experience. That's why I like it.

Attached: The Color of Pomegranates [Sayat-Nova] (1969) - 1.webm (700x508, 2.78M)

Any films where the director is also the cinematographer?

gay and very into sadomasochism.

The Phantom Thread

I think PTA is cringe. Anyone else?

Attached: 1583259642067.jpg (1050x1479, 213K)

I don't believe that poetry in itself is valuable, rather what the poetry evokes in feelings or ideas it communicates. You're probably right that I came on too strong about it and that it's just not for me. To me, Color of Pomegranate evokes or communicates very little, and it's not it's lack of narrative that I dislike, because to me it almost feel's like it's narrative IS it's central theme. My impression of the film was that it was built around the narrative of Sayat Nova's life but forsakes any actual depth of this narrative in favor of what feels like surface level "poetic" symbolism that's more window dressing than it is depth.

Wasnt Floral Shoppe made by a woman though?

His only cringe moment is hen everyone starts singing that Fiona Apple song in Magnolia. Everything else is excellent.

Please link one of your essays?

>woman

>that Fiona Apple song
you mean the Aimee Mann song? it was okay. never thought the film was all that, though. just another entertaining flick by PTA. The Master and Hard Eight are his best, imo. Boogie Nights is also entertaining at times.

youtu.be/MVt2oYUu5jQ

Attached: 1570910917575.gif (334x311, 948K)

Wtf is that fiona apple bullying

Thoughts on the Qatsi trilogy? I didn't like it but I read a lot of praise about it.

I remember watching it during studies. No one was paying attention and I don't remember if we even finished it but today it only stands out to me because of this

youtube.com/watch?v=v8LY2VgiikE

Play acting. She's pretending to be the film Magnolia and PTA its critics. Don't know why they recorded or shared this but they're just messing about.

You just have a wrong conception of poetry as it needs to be deep, but poetry can be very surface level too, it just needs to evoke imagery/emotions to be poetry. Japanese poetry for instance is just a description of some season 90% of the time, just the musicality of it and the beauty/intensity of the images evoked is what matters, not its 'depth'... Color of pomegranates is not a deep movie and it didn't want to be a deep movie, it wanted to be a poetic/evocative movie.

based

Inland Empire
Trash Humpers
Uncle Kent

I've only seen Koyaanisqatsi but I really liked it. Aside from the heavy-handed moral they stuck at the end

Attached: 1554172184724.webm (1280x688, 2.61M)

That's a fine interpretation of poetry and if that's what you search for in poetry, please do!

However, there is no denying that if language/reason/rational was able to capture/define everything that is possible to define, there would be no reason for things like poetry. Color of the Pomegranates is a good example of that POV on poetry, trying to tackle poetry's transcendtalism/mysticism/unintelligiblilty or whatever you want to call it. It admits there are some things in the world that can't be described with "an idea" or can really be communicated at all, yet it undeniable exists. Out of reason. So you struggle to capture it and see what you can do.

I don't even like Color of the Pomegranates that much, but its quite obvious in what its trying to achieve and its quite obvious its very ambitious regardless is trying to communicate a lot, regardless if you think that "unintelligible" its trying to create means very little to you.

Huh, more ya know.

read one of his bios. he'd cruise and then make the guy he hooked up with beat him bloody. weird guy. weird art. I guess he's admired by some for reasons I've yet to comprehend.

>Inland Empire
where can I watch this? is it streaming anywhere?

> I don't even like Color of the Pomegranates that much, but its quite obvious in what its trying to achieve and its very ambitious and wants to communicate a lot/something very difficult to communicate, regardless if you think the "unintelligible" means very little to you.

fml typing on my phone butchered that last line got butchered hard

It should be at your public library

rarbg.to/torrent/wunhb1f

mfw the first time I saw it I was a complete fucking retard and thought it was the challenger at the end
kek

You can watch it on your telephone

the "moral" is the society of the late 70s and early 80s wasn't sustainable. Society has changed since then, and without the push of the cold war, is less ennui inducing.

Every time I hear it I just can't stop.

thank u mr tarantino

Should I finally watch Pulp Fiction? I downloaded it and never watched it because I always decided to watch something else but now I finally want to delete the file, just 1kb of a Tarantino flick is a waste in my hdd but should I just delete it or watch it?

Watch it, it's overrated but still good, Tarantino's best.

>you can watch a movie on a fucking telephone

If you can't that just means your not good at watching film.

Read about all his flicks and this seems to be the most interesting to me. I'm trading 2 and a half hours of shitposting for this flick, I hope it is worth it.

It is legit a good flick, however it's reddit as fuck and it's not even his fault, the memes made the movie a normie masterpiece

Jesus you simps can't even manage a serious discussion of film in one single thread. This board should be renamed /tmz/
It syncs perfectly with Dark Side of the Moon
youtube.com/watch?v=y7wyfTsIm1k

Attached: blart.jpg (1280x720, 69K)

>just the musicality of it and the beauty/intensity of the images evoked is what matters
Yeah, I can appreciate that in art which is what i was alluding to with my words "rather what the poetry evokes in feelings", but for me it just didn't achieve that, and I guess I'll have to concede that that's just purely up to personal taste.
You say that it's not deep or trying to be deep, but for me, when I watch it, I can't help but feel like it is trying to be deep. For a purely image/musicality driven film I prefer something like Patrick Bokanowski's "A Solar Dream" (or perhaps a more well known example would be something by Brakhage) which abandons any sense of narrative structure all together. To me, A Color of Pomegranate is somewhere in between these two approaches to film making and it suffers by not being able to achieve a lot in either direction.
Again, I'll say that I was too harsh with my original post, and ultimately comes down to preference, but these are just my thoughts on it.

This thread was taken over by capeshiters complaining about not liking arthouse films, sounds retarded but then again it's reddit as fuck

Man Bites Dog? Fantastic, been a while tho might be time for a reviewing

Is it on the level of American Psycho, Trainspotting and Glengarry Glen Ross?

I would say above Trainspotting, which is above American Psycho and Glengarry Glen Ross for me. Popular cinema is not bad at all I don't know why that misconception exists, what is really annoying is a capeshiter who only watches IMDBs top 250 and pretends to know everything about cinema

I'm just not American and those Hollywood flicks are unknown for me. They were as unknown for me as Ichikawa or Vlacil

so whats the /film/ version of imdb 250.

i admit that when i was younger i thought shawshank redemption was seen as the greatest film of all time because it was top of imdb250.

Cocker Spaniels are harmless though

>/film/ version of imdb 250
honestly you would need more than 500, those lists forget so many foreign films and only focus on oscar winners or classics that everyone knows about, it's more of a popularity list, it would be way better just to separate them by genre first

LMAO Forrest Gump is #12

I didn't go to film school, I went to school.

Attached: smug frog 01.gif (125x125, 8K)

I find it absolutely hilarious that Kobayashi's Harakiri is on IMDBs top 250
Then you start looking into it and you see that the list itself is nothing but a popularity contest, every other film (in the top 100 for sure but might even be true for the entire list) has half a mil to a million votes whereas Harakiri has 30k

Bowie said about as much

NOOOO YOU CAN'T FORGET ABOUT LITRALYVICH WHOSKI'S SEMINAL WORK "THE FROG FARTED IN MAY!" IT DOESN'T MATTER THAT EVERYONE WHO SAW IT WAS IMMEDIATELY EXECUTED BY THE KGB! IN FACT THAT MAKES IT BETTER! CHECK OUT MY HECKING GOOD LETTERBOXERINO! REMEMBER TO SMASH THAT LIKE BUTTON! SUBSCRIBE! AND DON'T FORGET THE BELL ICON THAT SUBSCRIBES YOU TO YAHOO-KEKNET.GOV!

>Kobayashi's Harakiri
From time to time some arthouse or foreign films in general will pop up there because they got popular for whatever reason, but most of the time the list if full of oscar winners

Definitely a cool experience
Magnolia is cringe but that's it

your pleb rage is beyond pathetic, go watch avengers in disney+ or something

Tarantino's depiction of heroin is cringe. I don't think he has ever even had a beer.

>LITRALYVICH WHOSKI

Attached: 1568008272520.gif (190x190, 1.98M)

Heroin users don't really deserve an accurate representation to begin with.

Only seen Koyaanisqatsi, in my memories the first 15 minutes are kino of the highest order

I will never forget the lyrics.

Not actually a part of the trilogy but just watched Baraka which is sort of successor to Koyaanisqatsi, being directed by that film's cinematographer.
It was a cool experience, lots of beautiful shots and a cool pacing but I couldnt help but think it felt a little just like some National Geographic show minus the commentary. I guess that's not really a bad thing, and I tried to think that it wasn't a bad thing, but I'd be lying if I said the thought didn't distract me a little.

Attached: barakamonkey.jpg (1916x876, 927K)

I have read about it but that's the same reason why I haven't seen it. Koyaanisqatsi was good but the other 2 films were not necessary. The 3rd one was terrible.

Heroin will literally knock you out, maybe the dinner with Uma Thurman happened sevral hours after the hit

>that gay furry album on the same level as zen arcade
REEEEE

Shamelessly reposting because last thread died. Just watched Metropolis. Brigitte Helm is mesmerizing. Thoughts?

Damn good film.

Attached: Annex - Helm, Brigitte (Metropolis)_03.jpg (2815x2094, 2.17M)

Attached: Da_8ArXWkAEtnN7.jpg (1200x876, 183K)

Most of those actors from the silent era were great and needed to give their 100% to make the acting convincing

Attached: Da_71KTWkAAdWDQ.jpg (1200x876, 161K)

Attached: Da_7TD9WkAESm0P.jpg (1200x876, 176K)

Based & JRpilled
I miss the 90s

I just finished The Red Shoes and of course, that dance scene was beyond good. Technicolor is always fun because director's are always more attentive to colors back then but everything else was like average at best. Overall, pretty epic drama film but I definitely thought Showgirls was better than this.

Attached: the-red-shoes-700x333.jpg (700x333, 20K)

Watching M for the first time tonight bros

Attached: 1583077443836.jpg (326x391, 26K)

adamcook.space/posts

who are some good essayists? I already know
>Chris Marker
>Isidore Isou
>Artur Aristakisyan
>Alain Resnais
>Jay Rosenblatt
>Chantal Akerman

Attached: ladoni.jpg (424x318, 52K)

>Thread for serious discussion of arthouse cinema.

Attached: 1541519561675.jpg (821x797, 120K)

Nope. Mac plus is a tranny.

The mentally ill can be extremely artistically talented.

Kogonada, and he also made a pretty good film Columbus

Prepare for a movie so good it got Lorre typecast for the rest of his life.

what the fuck did Tsai mean by this?

Attached: the wayward cloud.png (1920x1080, 587K)

Based

Rec me something guys

Liquid Sky

Why do all book adaptions suck so much bros

Attached: 1583183211799.jpg (680x850, 51K)

>you got games on your phone?

Why does every Reddit pseud believe this is true?

Attached: 1583278520333.jpg (400x400, 11K)

Books are always better than their film adaptions

Attached: 1583182812760.png (723x677, 89K)

Can someone redpill me on Kelly Reichardt?

You believe this because literature is much better a stroking the intellect. It makes you feel smart to understand a good book. Thus, it similarly makes you feel smart to tear down a movie adaption of a book for not holding the same intellectual prowess.
But film is far better at stroking the heart and the soul. Literature is capable of stroking the heart and soul, but only through the intellect, thus much less efficiently. Where a book attacks through the brain, a movie enters through the eyes and ears to attack the soul directly.
In the end comparing the two is comparing apples to oranges, even if the work is a direct adaptation of another. There are some not-great movies adapted from great books, but also some great movies adapted from not-great books.

Attached: 3 monkies take selfie.jpg (640x853, 139K)

I just watched The Vanishing, it was great.
The guy who recommended Wake In Fright, Man Bites Dog and the movie i just watched had good taste.

Attached: daa-the.vanishing.of.my.dick.in.your.mom-1080p.jpg (1808x1080, 257K)

Watch The Leftovers

Best marxist movies?

back to redd.it nigger

Watch Godard, maybe some Eisenstein and Chaplin

Young Karl Marx (2017)

Search the /t/ archive for the torrent.

The Fall of Berlin (1949)

read. his. comics.

I love his film work, but his comics (The Incal, The Metabarons, Madwoman and the Sacred Heart, Son of the Gun, etc...) are on another level.

Thanks, but no thanks. I'm not a capeshit comic book manbaby.
Any good torrents/links?

Sokurov, Hutton, Mekas, Lockhart, Benning, Gianikian, Wiseman, Wyborny, the list goes on...

The men in skull suits remind me of Black Orpheus, the man who was linke to the female protagonist in the film (Basically the black female Dorothy before The Wiz starlet)

none of them are capeshit.
no I bought them all like a pseud

if you can’t enjoy this kind of American aesthetic you don’t know how to enjoy movies

Just finished watching it, damn Lorres ranting near the end was beautifully done

Attached: 1583208892731.png (553x460, 154K)

literally only Eisenstein

Can anyone recommend me some good english and american arthouse? The pattern here seems to be that all arthouse is foreign and Im sick of it. Need some Anglo love for the lads.

BEST: Mouchette
RUNNER-UP: Au Hasard Balthazar
WORST: Les Dames du Bois de Boulogne
OVERRATED: Pickpocket
UNDERRATED: Le Diable Probablement

Attached: Robert_Bresson_1956.png (320x489, 130K)

Anyone learning French just to enjoy films more easily?

>arthouse
>serious
yeah... I don't know how to tell you user...

David Lynch
Terrence Malick
Jim Jarmusch
Lars Von Trier (not an American but his movies are mostly in english and set in America)
Prince Vince
Godfrey Reggio
Andy Warhol

>Lynch
>Jarmusch

There are some arthouse american directors out there, Leave no Trace and Light of my life are pretty good but american audiences hate these kind of movies

Anyone here watch the show My Brilliant Friend? It's Italian, love it and the books it's based on. Just finished season 2 and can't wait for three since it's my favourite of the books.

Attached: my-brilliant-friend-hbo.jpg (1000x563, 489K)

Monte Hellman
Vincent Gallo
John Cassavetes
Robert Altman
Terrence Malick
Stan Brakhage
Paul Morrissey

draughtman's contract

>show
get the fuck out. this is a film thread.

Is The Brown Bunny worth watching if I loved Buffalo 66?

>Terrence Malick
Actually forgot that A Hidden Life was in english lmao, that was fucking kino

I've got 8264 XP on duolingo
I've started rewatching french movies without subtitles and I can sometimes understand what they're saying
feelsgoodman

I didnt personally love it but it was still watchable, though if you loathe Gallo's focus on himself, id stay away.

Yes. It's not quite as good but it's still very good.

I love Jodorowsky to death. Have read and watched everything he did, including his biographies and other things. He is a genius, I like him even more as a person than for his film work, I don't consider him a director in a closed label like that.

El Topo is my favourite, but I wish more people saw Fando and Lis, one of his earlier work.

for me it's LANCELOT DU LAC

Attached: lancelot.jpg (1300x1568, 1.37M)

Didn't know about that, I guess I'll have to check them out

True answer: people who don't care that much about what society thinks enough to act out their homossexuality are also inclined to make more creative ground breaking things.

a true classic indeed good sir

Attached: 1581657968365.jpg (657x527, 49K)

for me, it's Olmi

Attached: 09_THE-PROFESSION-OF-ARMS_cropped-960x0-c-default[1].jpg (960x640, 309K)

explain me why i should watch this kino seriously

Title?

Problem 66

>tfw 25 years old and been watching films my entire life but still get uncomfortable when theres a sex scene

Nicolas Roeg

It's the best Arthurian film ever made by the best director of all time and it just got a beautiful 4k blu-ray restoration.
Also Gawain is cute.

>It's the best Arthurian film ever made
we'll see, it's got some good competition

Attached: 1549847537401.webm (800x450, 832K)

>studying almost every hour of the day
>no time to watch films anymore

True sad feeling, and it aint gonna get better when I get out in the workforce

his video essays on Criterion discs are top cringe. his La dolce vita and (iirc) L'argent efforts are particularly embarrassing. there is actually more depth in those babby-tier "Every Frame a Painting" vids on YouTube

>OVERRATED: Pickpocket
nah, it's A MAN ESCAPED

Still have nightmares of the guy standing on the ceiling

anybody have a link or a torrent?

>The Tree of Life (2011)
>To the Wonder (2012)
>Knight of Cups (2015)
>Voyage of Time (2016)
>Song to Song (2017)
>A Hidden Life (2019)

How did he put out 6 movies in 9 years? Making up for lost time, regretting his 20 year hiatus?

how? by working. why would he regret his filmmaking hiatus? dude just felt like getting back in the game.

For me? Tree of life was okay. But the only good film he made was badlands. But not seen thin red line.

Days of Heaven is great, too.

its on rutracker

All those movies are extremely low effort visual poems, except for a hidden life and the tree of Life

To the Wonder, Knight of Cups, and Song to Song where shot essentially at the same time

To the Wonder was shot a couple of years before Knight of Cups and Song to Song, if memory serves. The latter two were shot back to back, though, before Malick hunkered down in the editing room for a really, really long time. The Last Planet has also wrapped production but since his post is very long, we probably won't see any footage until 2021 or 2022.

So what happened to Steve Mcqueen? What do we think of him? The black director.

To the Wonder was shot in 2010. Knight of Cups and Song to Song in 2012.

Oh then just those two, nevermind

Attached: Natalie_Portman_autism.webm (1280x720, 2.64M)

I thought Portman's character was filler in Song to Song. Could have edited out a good 15-20min from that film, tightened it up, and made it would have been more effective.

Mike Leigh
John Waters
Nicolas Roeg

So, uh, do you guys trust Express VPN? I want to start downloading a shit ton of movies.

I'm not sure if I do