Books that effectively convey the sublime?

Books that effectively convey the sublime?

Attached: the sublime.jpg (2200x1295, 2.86M)

The romantics were all about sublimity. Frankenstein incorporates some aspects of it.

Bhagavat Gita

define "the sublime"

The sublime can't be defined, only experienced.

Psalms is the fucking shit.

>it's whatever I say it is
for real though, you're referring to any book that feels like it approaches the meaning of everything, right?

From a romantic perspective, the sublime is not "whatever I say it is". It's a very part of the human experience, and is found when the natural world touches your soul. That is why any book that talks about sublimity usually does so for pages and pages, because it isn't very definable beyond whatever the dictionary says.

Kant’s ‘observations’

Gives an accurate portrayal of the awe-inspiring feeling or experience of the vast and unexplainable. Usually attributed to large and beautiful landscapes and features of the natural world, but also has been associated with overwhelming fear.

Bible, Odyssey, Kant, LotR, Witcher books
I'd guess Dune as well, from what I've heard

this

Crime and Punishment.

I hear Ecce Homo encapsulates this feeling.

No. How does C&P examine the sublime?

Kant is a bad answer, since he just uses the sublime to posit it as stimulus for a type of reason or rationality. The type of crap where there is some type of unfathomable abyssal encounter with the ultimate that represents for some the sublime read Schelling the Ages of the world, or an unfathomable moving encounter with creation that isn't just a stimulus for a banal reasoning faculty a la Kant is his predecessor Burke

if some author can 'effectively convey' it then it most likely could be defined

My novel desu.

I've never read any other Thomas Mann so I can't speak for that, but Doktor Faustus had a lot of moments where Mann conveyed it well. The overwhelming fear that this user was getting at is probably the best part of it, as the chapter where Adrian speaks to Mephistopheles is one of the most beautiful yet also chilling passages I've ever read.
Adrian is a composer who loses his mind due ostensibly to syphilis, but Mephistopheles tells him just as the disease hits his brain that it's part of a deal they're going to make to give him inhuman musical talent. Adrian accuses the demon of being a hallucination, but he basically responds with "Yes, sure, but here we are having this conversation anyway, so you'd best listen."
>"Wait one, ten, twelve years, until the illumination, that bright radiant annulment of all lame scruples and doubts, reaches its pitch, and you will know for what you pay and why you bequeath us body and soul."
>"Have you forgotten what you learned at your academe, that God can bring good out of evil, and that the occasion thereto ought not be curbed?"
Apparently in the original their conversation shifted to old high german in that part. The translation I read had a note in the beginning about this and explained that he tried to antiquate the language but that there's no true english equivalent.

Attached: mann.jpg (1080x1310, 616K)

Attached: the-essays-on-the-sublime.jpg (353x457, 32K)

Attached: 1556128291958.jpg (1000x1250, 484K)

Will check out, thanks user

Critique of judgement by Kant

The Odyssey

Great band, I used to listen to alot of sublime back when I had given up on life.

i think for the modern reader, some of salingers books absolutely convey the sublime. and his stories. especially if you have a christian or buddhist slant to your life. franny and zooey is the first that comes to mind. seymour an introduction and raise high the roofbeam carpenters are also good. and the short story Teddy. i would also say the idiot by dostoevsky, and the last quarter of war and peace especially when pierre is a prisoner of war, but i recommend the entire book... also, the alchemist, to be honest, was kind of sublime. and, of course, if you really want to get serious about this - the gospels.

sorry for the meme, but, yes, Blood Meridian

Which parts of The Idiot would you say convey the sublime? The chapter leading up to his epileptic episode I can totally see, but not sure about how it relates to the rest of the book. (I’m currently reading it right now and have about 150 pages left so please no spoilers.

The Wind In The Willows, Chapter 7

Attached: piper-2.jpg (320x421, 33K)

Temple of the Golden Pavilion

Attached: yuyu.jpg (298x300, 30K)

THIS

Plotinus On the Beautiful

The Magic Mountain conveys it in some parts

>Christian mysticism
especially 'Spiritual Canticle' or 'Living Flame of Love' written by San Juan de la Cruz during the Middle Ages

Holy shit, haven't read/thought about this since childhood. What a fantastic read.