How poor were they exactly?

How poor were they exactly?

Attached: rs_600x600-200108145839-600x600-malcominthemiddle-gj-1-8-20.jpg (1200x1200, 130K)

Very poor.

>They live in California, a state with one of the highest costs of living in the US
>Lois is an employee at a grocery store, full time but not a manager, so was maybe earning 25-30k a year at most
>Hal had some shitty office job and skipped work every Friday
>they had 5 fucking kids and another on the way in the finale
>Just look at the shit hole house they lived in

small incomes and large family to feed

where they catholics?

the mythical lower middle class

dey catholics everywhere nigga

were*
fucking hell

i think russian orthodox, their granny was like from some eastern yuropean country

Lower Middle Class

how were they broke exactly?

Attached: frens.jpg (1200x675, 205K)

>where they catholics?
No, they fuck very frequently. Thr 2 or 3 younger kids were conceived despite birth control.

>can easily and comfortably take care of his family of five with a single income
are we supposed to think homer is a retard

Attached: sneedsons.jpg (474x355, 37K)

Arent they entitled to some gibs though? Was it ever talked about in the series?

do we ever even figure out what Hal's job was?

Louis is too proud for that, remember how they threw Malcolms scholarship into the trash because he had to pull himself up by the bootstraps and become president to make life better for people like them?

they spent all their money on apartments and furniture.

I think the State made Burns hire a bunch of locals in the '70s or his shitty Nuclear Power Plant was going to be held to basic standards. Burns mumbles something about it while dealing with Homer once or twice.

Pretty close to my family
>Father makes upper middle class wages
>mother works in some low end job
>3 kids including myself
The main drain here are kids especially when you have one that has a massive gap between the older ones. I'm sure Hal and Lois were better off financially once most of their kids moved out though.

I have a stay at home wife with 3 kids. We get no gibs. They seem to actively want you to be poor and unable to get out of it if you look at the cutoff rates for various programs.

He is a retard. He just lucked out into a good job with employer who doesn't give a shit about the safety of his workers

The Simpsons were conceived in 1986 when the economy was good and houses were much more affordable. Also Homer was originally just clueless and obtuse; he didn’t become borderline retarded until season three.

It was a different time in SoCal back then.

>go skiing
>order food all the time
>go out for drinks
>eat at fancy restaurants
>go to football games, cinema, theatre
>all fly to London for a wedding
>never at work
>drink coffee in the cafe all the time instead of upstairs in their house

they were rich

remeber the court episode where they try to frame him as an evil mastermind?

not poor enough that shed keep her damn legs closed for once in her life

upper middle class for 90's.

Who was this show supposed to appeal to? Because I don't know anybody over 18 at the time who watched it.

How noble of you to raise another man's children.

They werent as poor as you think.
The house just deteriorated over the years.
How much did it cost for francis to be in that school, a decent amount i gather.
Alot of the povery impressions definately came from the writers for added affect.
They were likely upper middle class.

To tweens and adults who had 3 or more kids in their 40's

>Your life's a joke, you're broke, your love life's DOA

Is any of this even true?

That's an honest question. It's one of my favorite sitcoms of all time, but it was just slightly too raunchy to be for kids and just barely too kiddy to be for adults.

I'm just glad they got as many seasons as they did. Something must've worked.

That's literally the whole point of the Frank Grimes episode

Why are so many shows horrible at accurately displaying middle class or poor families?

Hilarious you come up with that yourself? All three mine and blue eyes.

No one wants to see the horrible reality they want to see their lovely world worldview

Then why are they black?

most people aren't poorfags like you guys lmao

Chandler, Ross and Monica were well off. So was Rachel when she got into fashion. Phoebe ends up with a rich ex lawyer. Joey was a semi-successful actor.

Joey and chandler's apartment was pretty shitty; 2 bedrooms, a joint living room/kitchen, a bathroom. Monica's was only affordable for them because it was rent controlled (i think a grandmother died and they just kept living in it, landlord threatened them over it at least once).

Ross ends up a leading figure in his field with tenure at a good college.

Rachel is on megabucks at ralph lauren or some shit.

Monica runs a critically acclaimed upmarket restaurant.

Chandler was at one point an exec working on big data configuration (big money) and then got a good position at a marketing firm.

Joey was in a popular soap opera and had ups and downs but when he was in a good gig he had loads of money.

Phoebe was useless and poor but leeched of her friends and love interests.

>Just look at the shit hole house they lived in
And the only reason they could afford it is because the previous inhabitant slaughtered his family and decorated the place with their body parts.

In one episode it seems to be implied that hal and lois are neglectful of the house and kids because they're constantly fucking
in the episode lois (or hal - i forget) can't have sex, so they find other things to do and are soon taking great care of everything. paying bills, mowing the yard, cleaning etc.
there are times when it was convenient for the story or a joke to have them be extremely poor, but at other times they manage to pay for things like, as you said, military school
they live in the same neighbourhood as a dentist iirc, it's just their house on the street that's a shambles
i wouldn't say upper middle class, they obviously have the manners and habits of stereotypical working class people
financially i'd say they're lower middle class

Preumably the money they weren't paying out to bail Francis out of trouble went towards the military school tuition. That one episode also showed he enabled the younger brothers to do more shit too.

>Your life’s a joke
Not the lyric

not that poor, it's just that they are reckless with money. watch the episode where louis and hal stop having sex. within a week they started to look like mid class NPCs

Hal is from very upper class but somehow has father issues and doesnt want his money or whatever

Were you alive in the 90s? Most middleclass people spent like they were upper middle class and because of the constant rising house values kept spending and spending like working class people until the crash

bump