Ruling is hard. This was maybe my answer to Tolkien, whom, as much as I admire him, I do quibble with...

> Ruling is hard. This was maybe my answer to Tolkien, whom, as much as I admire him, I do quibble with. Lord of the Rings had a very medieval philosophy: that if the king was a good man, the land would prosper. We look at real history and it’s not that simple. Tolkien can say that Aragorn became king and reigned for a hundred years, and he was wise and good. But Tolkien doesn’t ask the question: What was Aragorn’s tax policy? Did he maintain a standing army? What did he do in times of flood and famine? And what about all these orcs? By the end of the war, Sauron is gone but all of the orcs aren’t gone – they’re in the mountains. Did Aragorn pursue a policy of systematic genocide and kill them? Even the little baby orcs, in their little orc cradles?
> The war that Tolkien wrote about was a war for the fate of civilization and the future of humanity, and that’s become the template. I’m not sure that it’s a good template, though. The Tolkien model led generations of fantasy writers to produce these endless series of dark lords and their evil minions who are all very ugly and wear black clothes. But the vast majority of wars throughout history are not like that.

Attached: F210AB1C-DA43-417F-BCE5-CEF2D12C2B4A.jpg (1200x680, 103K)

SURROUNDED BY LANNISTERS!

Attached: 1503502104686.jpg (800x755, 390K)

FTBYFF

Start the damn joust before I piss meself

Attached: uwi3K.jpg (1280x720, 132K)

>real history
>it’s a fantasy series
nigga put down the butter it’s fucking your brain

>prose epic anthropological/linguistic reconstruction for the British Isles
>'novel'
Martin is peak boomer/psued, whinging about verisimilitude after moving the goalposts.

This level of autism can only be accomplished by people like myself. Fortunately, for myself, I realize just how stupid this sounds because I am able to decipher context.

What is this fat fuck up to these days?
It sure as hell ain't writing....

Training hard to be able to lift his chest easier upon taking a breath.

FAT? FAT IS IT? IS THAT HOW YOU TALK TO YOUR KING?!

Attached: 1555255362367.png (500x390, 186K)

making video games

Attached: elden ring.jpg (1280x720, 79K)

WHERE'S THE BOOK YOU FAT FUCK

Attached: 1582672222371.jpg (535x800, 64K)

After signing off on that last season, or even any after season 4, I can’t really take this argument seriously without laughing everytime I get to quibble. Holy fuck imagine being a fan of this guy anymore.

>Worldbuilding is hard. This was maybe my answer to Martin, whom, as much as I admire him, I do quibble with. A Song of Ice and Fire had a very shallow background: that if the king had a gold mine, he was rich. We look at history and it’s not that simple. Martin can say that Starks ruled the North for 9,000 years and commoners loved them. But Martin doesn’t ask the question: what was the Seven Kingdoms' administrative division? Do they collect a head tax or a chimney tax? What was their writing system in which they kept records? And what about the calendars? By the end of the book, we're told there are the long and short winters, but we still have no idea how long they spanned. Did the Targaryen kings pursue the policy of lunisolar astronomical observation and account for difference in length of Planetos orbiting the Sun? Even the leap hours and little infinitesimal leap minutes?

Attached: IMG_20200131_215435.jpg (2340x2559, 2.46M)

this

He (half-jokingly) set his book deadline at June or July, I believe. Said that if he won't finish by them, people have his permission to imprison him in a shack and not let him out until the book's done.

>He (half-jokingly) set his book deadline at June or July,

What year?

your minds operate on the same tier as the actor for Samwell Tarly
>lmao its fantasy guys the fat guy staying fat in cold conditions with little food to eat isn't important right xD

i'd lock the fat fuck in a shack either way honestly

He should've just stayed on with D&D and helped them with Season 5 to 8 the same way he was partially involved with 1-4.

>can't tell mythologism apart from realism
This is what a """""writer""""" looks like in 2020.

?
These fantasy stories are meant to be believable still, Tolkien didn’t exactly write something like Warhammer where any realism gets smothered down. He drew inspiration from real life things, thats what GRR is critiquing

OHHHHH
E
L
D
E
N

R

I

N

G

IT
BURNS

OHHHHHHHH

This. Tolkiens goal was to write a northern epic. How relevant are things like taxes and "what do they grow" in Beowolf or the Kalevala? I mean they can be for plot points, but in generell who gives a shit. The EPIC stuff is what matters. Otherwise a wizard did it.

unpopular opinion: season 8 was good and i liked it trough start to finish

Lord of the rings is unironically more realistic than ASOIAF. ASOIAF is of one the most unrealistic pieces of literature ever

Fucking retard.

>And what about all these orcs? By the end of the war, Sauron is gone but all of the orcs aren’t gone – they’re in the mountains. Did Aragorn pursue a policy of systematic genocide and kill them? Even the little baby orcs, in their little orc cradles?

This makes me question if Martin every read the Lord of the Rings. They are an artifically created race for the purpose of being evil. So the answer is a resounding yes, and Aragon would do it a thousand times again.

Attached: goblin-slayer_H12.1.jpg (660x330, 32K)

wow what a strong rebuttal

based pig poster

Martin is obese simpleton, I doubt his IQ is over 100.

Go to bed George.

What is there to rebut? He just asserts wrong things, he has no idea what LoTR is what JRR set out to write, he is simply a retard thats all

Basically this is the quibble of a weak modernist with a top tier medievialist. Fuck knows what Martin has to say about Plutarch. Plus fuck cares.

Does it even matter that much anymore? I'll read it if it comes, but we know it ends much the same way as the show, and even if he does finish it, it would be a miracle if he could finish the entire series in the next 5-10 years.

Probably the first time an author's book got overtaken by a film or tv show, so the urgency is gone a fair bit.

Unlike GURM's "realistic" Dark Fanatasy Series, Tolkien didn't hide the fact that certain groups of humans were superior to others for not only descending from highborn stock but can trace their line from a supernatural lineage of the Elves which would make them on average superior to most humans in many respects, including granting Númenóreans, which Aragorn is descended from, higher height and longer lifespans. This is unlike the Valyrians in ASOIAF, whose only "superior" traits are a eye color and controlling a long extinct species of magical dinosaurs that are no longer around.

What is it with tolkien fans on this website that are significantly dumber than counterparts anywhere else? Even on Reddit they're somehow more reasonable.
90% of you retards who consistently punch down on inferior works are probably the same faggots that talk only about Tolkien and nothing else on Yea Forums
>ASOIAF is of one the most unrealistic pieces of literature
I mean look at this shit. Who has ever considered ASOIAF a piece of literature?

Attached: viggo.jpg (395x594, 85K)

It's an unpopular opinion, in this case, because it's wrong.