Apparently Millennials and Zoomers are reading more poetry than ever, leading to increased sales of poetry books:

Apparently Millennials and Zoomers are reading more poetry than ever, leading to increased sales of poetry books:

theguardian.com/books/2019/jan/21/poetry-sales-soar-as-political-millennials-search-for-clarity

What does this mean, exactly? Is there a future for poetry after all?

Attached: byron-800x0-c-default.jpg (800x800, 68K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_caps#Readability
pastebin.com/6rK6fvi8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

> increased sales of poetry books
My guess is that the buyers are normies and hypechasers who want to carry it around or photograph to be up to the modern trend. A

People who are intelligent enough to actually understand said poetry would pirate it. All good authors are dead.

poetry generally, especially english poetry, is trash garbage. as modern writing is trash garbage as well, modern english poetry (what these people read) is doubly trash garbage.
if you want clarity of thought and lessons worth learning the last place you ought go is poetry, poets have no more valuable knowledge than prose writers they just have the benefit of obscurantism available to them.
i didn't read your article by the way

Yeah it's that garbage first generation female immigrant pseudopoetry they sell in fucking drugstores that's a melange of confessional teenage diary, ee Cummings typographical experimentation-lite and identity politics shit. Go to any big bookstore, racks full of it.

Yes. There is a shit ton of garbage poetry rn but thats bc there are more people writing and because time hasnt sifted all the good shit to the surface yet

god omnipresent, i eat my words as i've falled for "poetry=good poetry" fallacy.
they didn't specify WHICH poetry was selling so well, and considering Rupi is on top... you know the rest is even worse.

Attached: IMG_20190428_073613.jpg (720x534, 118K)

> He added that the form’s brevity also meant it could be easily consumed on phones and shared on social media.
is poetry the flash-stimula future of literature?

>it could be easily consumed
kill me

i also think that wording is unexplainably wrong. it's like openly admitting poetry is virtue signalling wrapped in a couple of lines consisting of simplest words and grammatical constructions, so it can be
> consumed
by nearly 90% of the target audence and posted on social media.

What a sad life you must live, with no poetry in your life

why do i need poetry
why do i need fictional writing generally? what good does it do?

Yes, there is a future for poetry, and when I finish my book later this year it's going to mark a new era in human civilization.

>yeah, I read poetry

Attached: poetry.jpg (1280x720, 261K)

I unironically think poetry has a brighter future than prose. In the future nobody's going to read novels, but people will read poetry, and will hear it performed. It's going to be like the dark ages of Greece, we're going to have somebody chanting poetry accompanied by simple music, only now it's going to be livestreamed to phones around the world.

Rap music infected pop, now rap is pop and pop is rap, so the masses are listening to rap, and rap is applied poetry :^)
Case in point

>poetry
>doesn't even rhyme
English isn't my native language, but this sounds like absolute shit. Could this even be considered poetry?

wrong
read any german lyric poetry

It’s always been this way though. Compared to all other forms of literature it is

>why do i need poetry
>why do i need fictional writing generally? what good does it do?
It's not that people need these things. They solved their needs years ago, and are now looking to fill their time with other activities that are not essential to survival.

even rappers are better poets than zoomers

ZOOMERS (1998 – 2002), AND CENTENNIALS (2003 – 2018), ARE GENITAL POETS —ID EST: THEY NATURALLY EXPRESS THEMSELVES POETICALLY, AND THEIR EXPRESSION IS DRIVEN BY PARTIALLY SUBLIMATED HYPERSEXUALITY —AFTER THE MILLENNIAL HERO, FOLLOWS THE CENTENNIAL ARTIST.

ALTHOUGH ZOOMERS, AND CENTENNIALS, ARE ESSENTIALLY POETICAL, THE BETTER POETRY COMES FROM MILLENNIALS OF THE LATTER COHORT OF THEIR GENERATION —ID EST: FROM THOSE BORN IN YEAR NINETEEN HUNDRED NINETYTHREE, TO YEAR NINETEEN HUNDRED NINETYSEVEN —THEIR POETRY, AND GENERAL MANNER OF EXPRESSION, RETAIN MILLENNIAL OPTIMISM, BUT OBSCURED BY A TINGE OF MELANCHOLY, DARKENED BY POSTMILLENNIAL TRAGEDY, WITHOUT FALLING INTO THE ABYSMAL NIHILISM OF CENTENNIALISM, NOR DEGENERATING INTO ZOOMER FLIPPANCY.

Attached: HEAR THE OCEAN.png (688x1010, 88K)

scribo, pingo, ergo sum

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_caps#Readability
>All caps text should be eliminated from most forms of composition, according to Tinker:
>Considering the evidence that all-capital printing retards speed of reading to a striking degree in comparison with lower case and is not liked by readers, it would seem wise to eliminate such printing whenever rapid reading and consumer (reader) views are of importance. Examples of this would include any continuous reading material, posters, bus cards, billboards, magazine advertising copy, headings in books, business forms and records, titles of articles, books and book chapters, and newspaper headlines.[26]

Also kill yourself.

Attached: 1536204018704.png (500x369, 186K)

haha u ouned him dud XD
epiv!!!

poetry that rhymes went out of fashion centuries ago

See, turning off Caps Lock isn't so hard, I knew you could do it. I'm so proud of you.

Attached: 1551080008500.jpg (3548x2048, 860K)

There is a good point.

>philistinism intensifies

non-rhyming poetry is shit

homer didn't rhyme

Only someone who hasn't actually read much poetry would say that. Not that rhyming poetry is bad.

Why would you read poetry to learn something?

no, I just don't read poetry more current than WWII

>why does the adhd generation like something that takes 4 lines instead of 400 pages
idk family it's incomprehensible
>zoomers get 4 years
>I get lumped in with faggots born in the 80s
fuck you.

exactly

I only write rhymed poetry

Post some samples

christ, first poet they mention is rupi kaur. i was almost hopeful for a second that the new generation had somewhat of a chance.

I posted a pastebin in the crit thread. Let me insert today's progress in my file and I'll post it again here.

pastebin.com/6rK6fvi8
I'm trying to take a cue from the Lake Poets, expect it to be abstract and full of symbolic shit.

Look, I don't like it either, but it's a start. Some of them will move on to, say, Maya Angelou, and Maya Angelou will get at least a few of them interested in Shakespeare. Baby steps.

They said that about rap too

Teenage girls chasing clout

based

>i didn't read your article by the way
FUCK.
YOU.

actually kinda based. kys though

>I'm trying to take a cue from the Lake Poets
My, oh my, does that sound original!

never said it ought to be original dude

It doesn't have to be terribly original but, seriously, don't you have literally anyone else to have as a model? Metaphysical poets? Whitman? Baudelaire? Every other Yea Forums wannabe poet has the most grandiose English romantics as their primary influence, and it always ends up melodramatic and pseudy

it’s 10x harder to appreciate a good poem than it is to appreciate a good book or essay

I am perfectly fine with just reading prose without having to analyze it, reread it, translate it, etc, but I find that I can only really truly appreciate poetry if:

-if I am reading it with someone else, usually a girlfriend, and discussing it with her

-i'm translating it from another language

-i associate the particular poem with some happy event or moment in my life

it's like with a song. if you associate that song with an important event or person, the song becomes much more meaningful

haha OOH SHIT lmao

Attached: l-24987-shook.jpg (700x538, 15K)

>Bukowski

1. ZOOMERS CONSTITUTE THE INTERGENERATION BETWEEN THE MILLENNIAL, AND THE CENTENNIAL, GENERATIONS.

2. THE ZOOMER INTERGENERATION COMPRISES FIVE YEARS, NOT FOUR.

If there is no rhythm it's shit pottery, in fact it's not even pottery at all

All speech has rhythm

look at how incessantly they track corporate sales statistics