What are your opinions on Miller's art?

I think his art would be better if he focused on flat colors since he is more abstract, but apparentally he likes his drawings to be colored more realistically aparentally

Attached: Miller-colors-featured.png (1200x800, 1.65M)

Other urls found in this thread:

annasellheim.tumblr.com/post/175148026204/theory-frank-millers-recent-work-is-good-but-it
youtube.com/watch?v=eLRsxS-V6zs
youtube.com/watch?v=x0_q2mCs_Eg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>What are your opinions on Miller's art?
I think it looks like shit about 65% of the time.

I liked his early work. Later on he went way too far up his own ass with "muh style"

Many such cases

Total hack

Attached: recolor.jpg (1200x4300, 1.9M)

His art was great on Ronin, Wolverine, The Dark Knight Returns, Elektra Lives Again, early Sin City, 300, and the Lone Wolf and Cub covers.
His Daredevil art was innovative but not as great, same with the middle parts of Sin City.
Beyond that, it's not very good.
>he went way too far up his own ass
No, it looks like he just lost his ability to draw.

Attached: elektra-lives-again-page-21.jpg (1350x1800, 654.2K)

>I paid for Photoshop so damnit I’ll make use of all of its effects!

I don't understand why people got so assmad at the recolor.

Him and Howard Chaykin are painful to look at

the guy on the right should be blacklisted from the coloring job, failing to understand flats is something you wouldn't tolerate from a first year student

He, Chaykin and Simonson shared a studio in the 1980s and you can see where they rubbed off on each other creatively.
Of the three, Simonson is the only one whose style did not degenerate into caricature. And then we have Romita Jr., whose current work is a crime against eyes.

I used to agree wholeheartedly, but the tacky colors in DK2 have grown on me.
Also, DK2 is good and you got filtered if you don't think so.

>he just lost his ability to draw
t. artlet
Miller is the best cartoonist that has worked on comics.

These are both malignant and I can't help wondering why Miller didn't realize the Canary looked fucking awful the first time.

I've had the argument with colorists before that they aren't hired to produce backgrounds or compensate for deliberately flat foreground material, and they cry bitch tears about their MFAs in reply.

It used to be better early on, basically what this guy said At any case I give his art a pass because I like him a storyteller.
Also, even the worst of Miller is still preferable to some modern day artists which is kind of sad.

He didn't lose it in the sense he got worst, his hands got fucked because he is old

He's not even that old, the thing is he was sick with something which almost killed him. I don't think he ever confirmed it was cancer but he looked terrible ten years ago, it seems he's doing better now though.

He looks better than the walking corpse he nearly was years ago but it's clear that bought of illness aged him quite a bit prematurely.

>the thing is he was sick with something
yeah, it's called alcoholism.

The digital one on the right was Lynn Varley doing the colors the way Frank Miller wanted it

I would have picked up the James Harvey recolor Release that he pitched to DC
Too bad he’s black listed now I think

>Too bad he’s black listed now I think

Why?

>dude we asked the guy who don't get the medium if he liked it and he said yes because it was an easy paycheck anyway
Next you'll post those horrendous batman recolors "approved" by the artist too

He made a comic about a pervert YouTube that goes after his young female fans
James Harvey’s ex-wife (gf?) said it was autobiographical and he GROOMED her. Ends up getting his comic pulled from fantagraphics collection and they issue some apology
James said that she was 24 when they met and he was a few years older than her at the time (probably not even 30)
He hasn’t posted in instragam since then and that was years ago. He was pretty active posting his comics there
No idea what he’s up to but I have liked all his comics and his gf’s story seems like bull shit

SHE WAS 24 YEARS OLD, YOU SICK FUCK! SHE WAS BASICALLY A CHILD!

How do you miss the duplicated head?

Attached: 1647431280841.jpg (1280x818, 130.39K)

Sounds like something to investigate

Lynn Varley? Who did insanely good colors on TDKR and Ronin? Idk if she just lost it ot what...

I don't care for it. It's why I prefer DK3 and Last Crusade over DKR because I can actually read it.

Dkr had great art, Miller didn't fall off until the 2000s

LA CREATURA

Clearly he's suffering from dementia

According to Miller, he wanted to mimic the wacky color choices of Golden/Silver Age comics,w hcih were usually done by non-artists. They wanted to use every crayon in the box.

Simonson was the most talented artist of the three, but the least talented writer.

>I've had the argument with colorists before that they aren't hired to produce backgrounds or compensate for deliberately flat foreground material
TDKR was like that and it looks good though.

>I think his art would be better if he focused on flat colors since he is more abstract
Agreed
annasellheim.tumblr.com/post/175148026204/theory-frank-millers-recent-work-is-good-but-it

Maybe, but he's still sound enough to destroy Tom King with facts and logic.

He's good at posing, caricature, and design, but has problems with color and anatomy.

He's good. I never understood why comic book art should have realistic proportions. The stories aren't even remotely realistic.

is that Miller told King to shut about Superman and how he knows nothing about him?

Fpbp

Hes like a John K. His earlier work looks great but everytime he tries to recapture it's an over-exaggerated ugly caricature of the good stuff

This. Comic book art should be as silly and exaggerated as possible. Miller's problem is that his stories are too serious.

>I've had the argument with colorists before that they aren't hired to produce backgrounds or compensate for deliberately flat foreground material, and they cry bitch tears about their MFAs in reply.

Tell us more, you work in the industry?

>his stories are too serious
No, not really.

Yes really. Superheroes are about humor, comedy, lightheartedness.
Then comes along Miller and does his schtick. It's like getting Edgar Allan Poe to rewrite National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.

Go fuck yourself manchild. Superheroes are products, at their best they are tools to tell a story or explore ideas. They can be anything the writer wants them to be and be used as anything you want, they don't have value on their own.

This isn't in line with the Yea Forumsnsensus, sorry.
We've never liked serious takes.

Humor and comedy, huh?
Superheroes can be about anything. Your brain may only feel one thing at a time, but Miller's take on superheroes is not super serious. It's got a lot mixed in, including humor.
Funfags really are the worst, most miserable pieces of shit on this site. All that lightheartedness, comedy, and humor and you don't even know how to fucking smile.
That may true for cartroons, but not for comics.

I don't mind serious cartoons. That guy seems to enjoy only 1 type of animated work and that's fine, but it's kind of limiting.

I thought that was Cameron Stewart?

Although the accusers of Cameron Stewart were teens at the time, some of them. I thought the guy that got accused of somehow "grooming adults" was Warren Ellis.

Still the best cosmic writer who's ever written for the big 2

Cosmic? For Orion?

>Thinks Miller's books aren't funny
There's a great slapstick scene in Year One where Bruce tries to "save" a prostitute from a suspicious john but ends up getting stabbed. P0G2J

I just miss Orion having a bit of character instead of being an asshole who only exists to make other people look better. DNA are probably better cosmic creators over all.

I don't like DNA or Starlin.
I'll check out Simonson's Orion after I read New Gods.

When he didn't completely lose his mind after 9/11

It diverges quite a bit from Kirby's vision of Darkseid but it's still pretty kino. Probably the best example of a Darkseid who represents cosmic evil rather than just being a paper tiger

I guess it was more King being a complete retard, but Miller, very gently, verbally bitchslapped him, mostly about Batman.

Details

Tom King says a bunch of dumb shit, mostly betraying his hackiness.
He tries to act like a human being, but it comes of as phony.
Frank Miller is surprisingly the voice of reason and is pretty funny.
Here's the full panel:
youtube.com/watch?v=eLRsxS-V6zs
and the highlights:
youtube.com/watch?v=x0_q2mCs_Eg