Why all the hate?

yes she's a rasp voiced wine aunt that barks orders like she was a tyrant, but having a new character with a different personality is honestly better than yet another picard clone.

Attached: Kathryn_Janeway,_2371.jpg (486x551, 33K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/8SIZcDWKyw0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

youtu.be/8SIZcDWKyw0

Janeway was good and Mulgrew was a good actress for the part

>yet another picard clone

Whom are you refering to?

Which star trek captain was a picard clone? Because I would be interested in watching this.

The old guy in the latest one, I think his name is Sean Luke Peaquad or something

I mean instead of just bankrolling on TNG success they decided to go for something new. And by the way, every captain behaves much like picard, Kirk, Archer and Sisko have each practically the same personality traits, they're all serious and responsible yet charismatic and brash, often try to preach on others their own philosophy and their feats are Gary Stueish

janeway is the best captain

Attached: st business as usual.jpg (560x418, 26K)

Tits or gtfo

Attached: 220px-Tuvix.jpg (220x184, 13K)

Attached: st nlx.jpg (864x636, 56K)

I didn't hate her but the fact she didn't give that pusy up to Q to get home is ridiculous and not even based on real life

WHAT A FUCKING ABOMINATION COULDNT DIE SOON ENOUGH

>And by the way, every captain behaves much like picard, Kirk, Archer and Sisko have each practically the same personality traits, they're all serious and responsible yet charismatic and brash
Wow, really?
I wonder why there are no Joker-like psychos employed as Starfleet captains.

I liked her even though she made some incredibly inconsistent and batshit calls

i'm currently rewatching voy and some user was right. It's really second best after DS9.

>the whole spectrum of human emotions can be synthesized as two opposite personalities
Retard. You don't need to have a psycho but not a model officer either.

janeway did nothing wrong here

She killed Tuvix and let Neelix get closer to Naomi.

She didn't have a real personality. She went from genociding people for a cup of coffee to defending federation morals at all costs within two episodes. She was literally insane.

I don't hate Janeway, I appreciate what they tried to do with her, her problem is her inconsistency, which I'm not entirely sure was intentional. I'm not talking about the kind of inconsistency you may get from a different writer taking over from episode to episode; I mean the jump from "we are Starfleet, we have a code!" to "lol nah I wanna get home." These are things she chews Tom Paris out for of course, and in "Equinox", the entire two-parter is about Janeway dealing with a captain that's willingly sacrificed the guidelines of Starfleet so as to do what's necessary to protect his ship and his crew.

I've found if you look at Voyager and Janeway's place in it as the story of a captain slowly losing it to schizophrenia; it makes it more enjoyable.

Attached: cap.jpg (423x524, 133K)

Attached: fuBlj1W_d.jpg (640x807, 90K)

Damn, I had forgotten about that.

>another picard clone.

Attached: 1582752139637.jpg (1980x2475, 849K)

Yes it is. I have them ranked in that order also, most hate it I think because they're told they're supposed to.

janeway is better than the shitshow of nutrek

>most hate it I think because they're told they're supposed to.

many such cases with movies and tv shows

She did the only sensible thing here. Probably regretted it to not have thrown Neelix out of the airlock the moment he wasn't needed anymore.

VOY is a great way to get into Star Trek. It has nothing to do with the Federation because they're so far away from it. Anyone could pick it up and possibly enjoy it because it's just silly scifi.

Attached: 205518.jpg (2048x1510, 207K)

>Janeway wasn't objectified
I dunno, I remember shooting hot coom at the Captain Proton episode with her.

>the only two personalities are philosopher diplomat and twisted fucking psychopath
Behold, the modern television audience.

I ain't mad at it.

Equally though, if the candidate was not a model officer, then why would the Admiralty select them to become a Captain?

it's just too fucking comfy

Attached: sttuvk.jpg (576x432, 25K)

>its a discount Predator episode

Attached: stnem.jpg (576x432, 38K)

In one ep Q even offers her a free ride home for helping him, and she refuses because it would be too easy or some bullshit.

Women should never be in charge. Have you ever had a female boss? They're the fucking worst, laziest whining incompetent pieces of shit

I'll tell you what Voyager did right that others fail to do today, they had episodic stories AND a long story plot, the long story was getting home obviously, but every episode was also self contained, today, like the new Picard, it's all just one long story. And it seems all shows are like that, Voyager was like that but could also self contain a story. I don't know if I really care though, but it does make it so that no episode stands out or is memorable when the entire thing is just one big movie.

Yeah, because you need to read up on the massive Federation lore to watch Star Trek or TNG.

I like Voyager. Janeway is a female commander done well. Mulgrew does a superb job in the role. Her character seems inconsistent until you remember she's a woman.

Based.

DS9 > VOY > TNG > TOS > ENT

Attached: 1516910529589.gif (245x184, 971K)

Immaculate hair.

Attached: janeway-hairstyles.jpg (1280x917, 116K)

Wasn't it, a Q wanted to commit suicide and the Continuum was against that, so he sought sanctuary on the Voyager... and the Q we know was like "If you let us have him, I'll send you home," and she was like "Dude, he wants to die and you want to imprison him forever to stop him... why not let him die?"

Like, Janeway didn't kill anybody or cause anyone to get imprisoned in her quest to drive home the long way.

Triggered

DS9>TOS>TNG>ENT>VOY

Attached: Katherine_Pulaski.jpg (1139x1080, 615K)

>then why would the Admiralty select them to become a Captain?
Desperation? Battlefield heroics? Political or familial connections? The Federation is shown repeatedly to not be perfect, but somehow they manage to end up with officers that are damn near perfect time and time again.

Correct

X-files did this great as well.

>ENT

Or maybe, just maybe there are some personality traits that are fucking NEEDED to be a captain?

Just how many different personalities are among the real life high ranking military?

Came here to post this very image, I was not disappointed. Keep on keeping on /trek/.

Anyway in answer to the question OP most people don't hate Janeway, in fact she's one of the better characters on the show. What people hate is Voyager's inconsistent writing that prevented it from being as good as TNG or DS9. Insaneway is very entertaining.

She's actually quite fetching for an older broad

I can't actually think of any female commander role that's been believable other than janeway in any genra really. I actually think she's unironically a "stronk woman" at least I'd respect her if she was my captain. Can't think of any others in tv or film. I mean am I forgetting somebody?

Is that a Nausicaan?

Fuck 7of9 marry janeway kill torres

That's honestly what I miss about star trek. While I like many shows that are primarily about season-long/show-spanning arcs such as the Wire and the Sopranos Star Trek was never like that and it was all the better for it. Trek was always about those cozy little adventures and character interactions, not big set pieces. That meant that when the big set pieces came they were all the more spectacular, The Best of Both Worlds wouldn't have been anywhere near as good as it was if they fought a Borg cube every other week.

Trek has always been at its best when it has an overarching plot guiding the show but still retaining the adventure of the week format. Hell, it's a show about adventure, that's what Trek is about and what the STP writers have forgotten.

What about it, pink-skin?

Attached: andorian.png (446x448, 217K)

I like that youtube video that has her talking about limited photon torpedoes in the beginning and then counts the thousands of them they used

Your candidate pool will still need to have been through the Academy and served as an Ensign, Junior Lieutenant, Lieutenant, Lieutenant Commander and Commander to be in a position to be considered for Captain on a permanent basis. By that point, they will be what you consider to be a model officer.

The Klingon civil war had a number of Enterprise crew promoted to acting Captains for the duration of that one mission to intercept the Romulan supply fleet, but once the situation was over, they returned to their normal roles.

She was an inconsistently written 'muh feminism' trope, but was performed superbly by Kate Mulgrew, who was quite the MILF.

>t. pink skin

Granted I haven't watched it for many years but I don't remember any blatant muh I'm a woman so it's different for me episodes. In fact I remember that's what I liked about the show is that they never brought it up at least not blatantly anyway, maybe with a different species they encountered that was patriarchal but I don't remember that even.
Some examples?

she has the closest thing to what I would consider a commanding voice among women without sounding pissed off, or on the rag

They rarely cast women of that age in lead roles, which is what you need to do for this kind of female commander role. You also need to have a certain commanding pretense that not all women have.
Usually when you fear a woman it's because they're nuts and are probably going to freak out at you. In Janeway's case it's because she's competent and earns your respect.

Hope we see Admiral Janeway at some point in Picard to make up for the fact we're getting fat wood cabin Riker instead of based Chadmiral Riker from All Good Things.

Attached: images (4).jpg (311x162, 6K)

>it's because she's competent and earns your respect.
Exactly this, I believe most men would have no problem with a female boss if she knew her shit and was professional like janeway. But they are almost always one or the other, never both.

she was also shown to get shit done herself which didn't look out of place as it might have for some other actress

>that are fucking NEEDED to be a captain?
Sure, but espousing lofty ideals isn't one of them. You'd think we'd occasionally run across a hardnosed military man who isn't just in the show to play the rash warhawk and just understand the importance of chain of command and decisiveness, but the Federation seems to only produce two types of people for command. The uncompromising warmonger (who is wrong by the way), and the space guidance councilor who moonlights teaching philosophy at the local community college.

And unless the Academy is flunking out officers for failing to adhere to ideological principles closely enough (this runs explicitly against what we're told about the Federation but would make sense in the context of their pseudo-communist uptopian society) they should still have a diversity of officer candidates making their way up through the ranks.

Torres was the hottest Trek babe though. Like a Klingon Alyssa Milano.

Attached: db371705637303a192d8b008ab0850b0.jpg (401x271, 20K)

This is why I can't hang with you guys. Call me a normie if you want but I love star trek and most normies don't like it enough to talk about in detail, but this is to much for me. Not even the nerdiness of it, that's fine. It's the seriousness of it.
I have no place in the fandom I suppose.

>he STP writers have forgotten.

I don't think it's the so much the writers but that's just where TV has gone, it's less procedural and more serialized seasons and instead of 20+ it's 12-13 tops.

TV's changed, and while I enjoy 12 episode serial shows like Breaking Bad, I also love 20+ episode comfy procedural like 90's Trek, House etc

Janeway is an excellent character in this way. She's dare I say human, she is cute, professional, and tenacious while being feminine.

She's a babe for sure and It's a tough choice between her and 7 I agree for fuck or kill. But Torres is set in her ways and gonna be an emotional trainwreck sometimes, 7 is logical and pragmatic, kind of chick you could just say, hey I dislike this behavior, please stop "i will comply" Torres would fight you on it. Although Torres might be a better fuck because of her attitude, but 7 is just so fucking perfect visually.

>when torres and paris are going at it in various public parts of this ship while they're still trying to keep their relationship under wraps

Attached: 1247970020533.jpg (640x480, 150K)

based

Best ST show hands down

>Not even the nerdiness of it, that's fine. It's the seriousness of it.
What is nerdiness if not taking silly things and treating them incredibly seriously?

Torres would be like fucking a dead fish. It's canon that the best fug in the Star Trek universe is the Duras sisters.

Attached: fug.jpg (1280x787, 126K)

they're simply too klingon

I get your point but It's more being interested, but not necessarily serious. At least not serious to the point where my mood is ruined or I start ranting at my computer by someone's opinion about it.
It's entertainment, it's supposed to be fun and silly and interesting. If it's not then you're missing something or the show is.

Klingon sex is rough as shit though. Cooooooooom

the last time earth had women that looked like that was 25000BC

Pretty realistic protrayal of a woman

So nobody can think of any other character besides janeway that is actually believable as the female in charge?

Yes, however...

Attached: 1453612478892.jpg (710x614, 118K)

based and redpilled, fuck noncorporeal niggers

when you put it that way sisko is a deranged lunatic

and yeah, engaging with bajoran mysticism is the dumbest thing he could have done

Stationfags don't want you to know Voyager gets better streaming numbers than any other Star Trek series.

>I get your point but It's more being interested, but not necessarily serious.
I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. Talking about what you'd like to see doesn't mean you don't enjoy what you've seen.

True. But not my point.

Dunno about archer because enterprise was fucking boring but sisko was much more aggressive than picard

Favorites season(s)? For me it's Seasons 5 and 6.

Attached: mpc-hc_2020-03-02_10-25-11.jpg (640x480, 33K)

only the Borg episodes

If it was only Dominion War episodes you wouldn't split hairs

It did save the Alpha Quadrant when he got the 10.000 Dominion ships to vanish in the wormhole.

So not joking around, 22 year old here, this was the first Trek series I watched. Finished it about four or five months ago. It was above average all things considered. It's above a 5/10. What brings it down beneath an 8/10 is Kes's departure from the show for Seven really breaks how comfy the continuity feels regardless if Seven is a good character. Also, it gets tiresome even if its believable that they dicked over by every new person they meet. They gloss over weirdly the part of season finales that inevitably have some event that "shaves off ten years from our journey. Horray!" but that's just a nitpick. I don't know what other Trek series finales are like, but Jesus Christ they could have had some falling action in the finale. Maybe my memory is wrong, but they arrive, see Earth, and basically just cut to black. Have everyone shuffle off the ship and say their piece.

I would because DS9 has so much more to offer than that

>Maybe my memory is wrong, but they arrive, see Earth, and basically just cut to black
That was one of the major criticism about the ending besides breaking the Temporal Prime Directive without Time Police stopping Janeway. The pay-off for the journey was just missing.

They could have litterally made a fucking tuvix clone....

Your criticism on the light years we just shaved off our trip home I had at first to. But I autistically went back and realized they had a 60 year journey and they kept well enough with the math.
And yes, they get dicked over by every person they meet, it's a show about the hardships Voyager faces. What do you want? an episode about how they meet aliens that give them a few supplies and wish them luck?
And "falling action" spent 15 min on Google trying to figure out what this means. The last episode is pure kino.

Based

>Voy is better because there's more normie voyfags still paying for Netflix
The goal is not to be on the side of the majority but to avoid joining the ranks of the insane

Attached: download (2).gif (245x149, 759K)

>Captain Sicko
>Captain Rightway

>engaging with bajoran mysticism
It was a political move, also, the wormhole aliens are Q tier and maybe above and he was in fact one of them.
Them worshipping them isn't some cooky mysticism. It's people who willingly become the workers/worshippers of active god like beings.

I really don't remember much "muh woman" shit at all, honestly. That's probably why people (feminists, especially) forget Voyager even existed.

It wasn't just breaking the temporal prime directive.
It's that she did it for such stupid goddamned reasons and knew KNEW that she was murdering untold billions of people for nothing more then to assuage her guilt and for her own ego.
She KNEW she was going to murder...goddamned what's the half klingong chicks anme? Anyway, her daughter.
It was fucked up and was so morally EVIL that I litterally felt sick that I watched that shitty shitty shitty series.

that clip of the first episode has the hot chick from Jericho.

Do you really want Voyager to be remembered for MUH FEMINISM on top of being part of the decline of star trek and the worst star trek installment till every single star trek movie after first contact?

No? I just find it amusing, is all. Also, for declined Trek, we didn't know how good we still had it.

I thought she was extremely sexy growing up. I wish she had nudes

i never hated insaneway

kate i started to hate when i found out she bullied jeri

Seriously what the fuck is "falling action"?

He didn't really have a choice until the Prophets gave him an out with the poet dude who wanted to bring back the caste system but in choosing that he'd also have failed his mission to bring Bajor into the Federation.

You have it the other way around. She helped Q out of a jam and she asked for a trip home but Q felt like being a dick and gave them a map home instead.

Anybody??? Seriously what does "falling action" mean?
Is it some zoomer term im not aware of?

google is your friend

>T. Didn't read the thread

The French twist was so easily the best option. Weird they didn’t stick with it. Maybe Mulgrew just didn’t like it?

based Q

Attached: q.gif (388x282, 1.84M)

I just wish she had to make actual difficult decisions that changed things
or even make a mistake that matters
I get that it's star trek and I'm asking a lot but the whole premise of voyager is "shit's fucked yo" and you never really feel like anything would be hugely different if it was set in fed space

>I get that it's star trek and I'm asking a lot but the whole premise of voyager is "shit's fucked yo" and you never really feel like anything would be hugely different if it was set in fed space

Hugely different such as sending the Maquis crew to prison and get a new doctor instead of relying on the EMH?

10/10 bait.

They never stuck with one for long. I think it worked because that's what women do. They'll constantly fuck with it. It's just another touch to the character that made her stand apart.

She played the part well as an actress but ultimately the premise is flawed, females make terrible leaders especially if you try to retain any femininity. Being a leader and a hero are masculine traits.

They could have done allot more. The Maquis joining the crew shouldn't have been as smooth as it was. I always thought it would have been cooler to have Janeway constantly trying to stave off a mutiny for the first season or so. It went way too smoothly.

> I always thought it would have been cooler to have Janeway constantly trying to stave off a mutiny for the first season or so.
She avoided that by compromising with the Maquis by bending the rules she wanted to follow and giving in to Chakotay's demands. They had a whole episode about Tuvok trying to get his security team to fall in line and do what they're supposed to do.

>janeway
>personality
She doesn't have a personality. Everyone in Voyager is written bipolar and stupid, especially after Season 4 when B&B had succeeded in driving every talented producer out of the franchise.
You don't need any backstory for the federation. Sufficient unto the episode is the moralizing thereof. They beat it into your head what it is every fucking time.

Wow!
You're really cool

>Daily reminder that DS9 is nothing more than Babylon 5 in a Star Trek universe setting.
And they say Yea Forums isn't full of ds9 fanboy junkies.

Attached: _.png (519x356, 410K)

Yes I was on the edge of my seat watching the occasional mild discontent between former enemies who were just engaged in military actions against one another unfold.

Attached: download (3).gif (220x161, 329K)

I think I was traumatized when she started trying to tell kes about PUBERTY.

Not only was it horrifying to my young mind to hear that word on screen from a rasp voiced wine aunt, she also had no fucking business whatsoever telling an alien she had never encountered before and had no data of about the nature of their reproductive cycle.

Actually he's a Jew.

>Kirk is a Picard clone
user I know it's star trek but that's not how time works...