Horror thread - /hor/

Let's have one of these.
>Favorite horror novel
>Favorite horror short story
>What is the thing you're afraid of the most?

Attached: trinity.jpg (728x546, 88K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iCv0BuvBGDI&feature=youtu.be
youtube.com/watch?v=xv0_iNK3jsQ&t=463s
youtube.com/watch?v=yOn9oaLK-O8
docs.google.com/document/d/1Md-MH0QTCdx9EVJcivsQZKSH76WvZ0vZ-O-riONuZuE/edit?usp=sharing
youtube.com/watch?v=GNl_u6bh4QE
imdb.com/title/tt1799508/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_2
archive.org/details/curseofwisewoman0000duns
youtu.be/XaCg8YsnCtY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I've read the Interface series recently (reddit creepypasta). Early posts were pretty good but then it kind of stop being scary. It still say interesting and the ending wasn't too bad.

>Favorite horror novel
Some french compilation of Lovecraft's best story.

The Color Out of Space

Boredom, desu

>favorite horror novel
Carrie
>favorite horror short story
Young Goodman Brown

>Favorite horror novel
The Haunting at Hill House
Survivor Type
Death.

>Favorite horror novel
Salem’s Lot
>short story
Count Magnus
>thing you are most afraid of
The colored moving into the neighborhood

I like Ligotti but he is not on the level of Poe and Lovecraft

>Favorite horror novel
The House on the Borderlands

The Shadow over Innsmouth

>What is the thing you’re afraid of the most?
Pain

>Favorite horror novel
Misery / Pet Sematary
The Horror in the Museum / The Rats in the Walls / Crouch End / Graveyard Shift
I'm a sucker for short stories.
I'm not afraid of anything anymore. *chomp*

>Favorite horror novel
I've honestly never found one I enjoyed, it's hard to keep that atmosphere of dread over a long page count I guess (which is why the OP "trinity" are best known for their short work)
Probably Phyl-Undhu, as much as it's a meme
>What is the thing you're afraid of most?
Anything to do with eyes or blindness
Correct, he's above them.

The best horror novel?
Saya no Uta

Attached: a2178910558_10.jpg (800x800, 77K)

I've recently started looking into Algernon Blackwood. Read The Willows and The Wendigo. Both are fantastic. What stories should I read next?

What is the most underrated Lovecraft story and why is it The Outsider?

The John Silence stories are pretty good, from what little I remember - a bit like an occult Sherlock Holmes.

I've started reading Lovecraft's complete works. They're chronologically ordered so I started from the ones he wrote in his teens, and you know, you can pretty much tell what the "big reveal" will be already by the middle of the work, but it's written so beautifully and vividly it doesn't matter one bit. I hope he kept that style of prose when he matured.

Oh, and how I could forget The Tale of Satampra Zeiros. It scared me shitless when I was a child.

The Man Whom the Trees Loved is fantastic. One of the most melancholic and eerie stories I've ever read.

I'm actually doing the same thing. I read them in that way over 10 years ago, but I've been reading ST Joshi's biography on Lovecraft along with a collection of Joshi's essays and decided to accompany them with reading his fiction from the beginning. He reins in some of the stylistic excesses of the earlier stories later on as he shaped the influences of other writers like Lord Dunsany into something that was his own, so you might be a little disappointed when you get to the mid 1920s period where the more florid prose begins to be reserved for the big, horrific reveals, but it's still uniquely Lovecraft and always evocative of that mix of fear and wonderment that's so enjoyable in the early stuff.

On a related note, I was surprised how much I liked "In the Vault". Completely uncharacteristic of the themes and subject matter of most of his "mature" works, but it's such a fun and gruesome little supernatural story. I'm curious if anyone here has any other typically glossed-over HPL stories that they really like. Saw the mention of The Outsider above, which is a good one for sure.

for the OP:
>favorite horror novel
Richard Adams - The Girl in a Swing. I can count the horror novels I've read on one hand, unfortunately.

>favorite horror short story
Robert Aickman - The School Friend

>what is the thing you're afraid of the most?
Debilitating diseases, receiving word from a doctor that I have some problematic medical condition. Clinical settings in general.

And Robert Bloch's Notebook Found in a Deserted House! Jesus, did it make me fear the shoggoths!

King in Yellow

Mountains of madness or Shadow over Innsmouth by the boy HP.

Probably the eternal mystery of the void and the afterlife, and the fact that nihilism seems inescapable

What are some based horror movies?

>Yea Forums wasting our gets on true detective and carpenter flicks

But to answer your question, Noroi is one of the best I've seen. Very tense and enthralling. But it is a slow burner, fyi. If by the first 15 minutes you haven't become invested in the story yet, just be aware that film's pace will remain the same through most of it.

Dagon was bretty good. And watch REC, I found it to be quite scary. While we're at it, Kowabon was the only anime that managed to scare me, so I recommend it too, it's only 3 minutes long series.

I've recently finished writing my first horror novel, but I'm not quite sure about the way I intend to put it out into the world. I wanted to release it on youtube as a serialized narrated creepypasta, but finding a framework seems tough, and I'm not even sure about the first chapter. I like the book over all but I think the first chapter might need a major rehaul. Each chapter takes between 35 and 45 minutes to narrate, so I'm not sure people will want to wait that long for things to really get going in chapter one, let alone stick around for chapter 2.

if I posted it here would anons be willing to give me notes?

these all look good, thanks anons

who /mrj/ here?

Attached: MRJames1900.jpg (220x255, 9K)

watch The Borderlands as well (in some countries it's called Final Prayer)

just post or link the first few paragraphs or pages

I'll review it for you, fren!

>Correct, he's above them.
Ideas < Prose < Storytelling. Lovecraft and Poe had all 3, Ligotti has the first two.

Posting just a few paragraphs or even pages doesn't really help with the problem, which is whether or not the first chapter will be interesting enough to keep people interested, as well as the frame work for the video.

So I wrote it as a novel, with each chapter being its own little self contained subplot building into the bigger picture. Most chapters are between 9 and 12 pages, this one was about 11 which when narrated came out to 38 minutes. My intention is to release it as a narrated Creepy Pasta because I feel that is what will get most people to listen to it, though I will have a text version available for those who prefer it.

The 'framework' is just me sitting down and reading the story to you in my den, but while I enjoy the visual I don't have a great screen presence despite being in videos that got millions of views before. I'm not sure how much of this is just in my head versus how legitimately cringey I am. I would be fine creating a more typical approach where it's just some looped gif that I'm not in while I narrate, and I'm also fine just not narrating if my voice is god awful for it.

The biggest issue is whether or not the first chapter will draw people in or not. My chapters tend to focus on slowly building up points of mystery early on with an explosion of the actual creepy aspect in the last few pages, and in this first one it focuses a lot on establishing his life, routine, and these strange deviances as 'it gets weirder'. While I am comfortable with most of the future chapters, it might be a bit dull in a first chapter to wait 38 minutes to get to the really good stuff. I was thinking if you guys agree that the opening stuff is too boring I could possibly rewrite this chapter in a way that wouldn't change future chapters all that much.

youtube.com/watch?v=iCv0BuvBGDI&feature=youtu.be

I'm not sure I even like my voice in this though, and can re-record the audio even if you guys don't think the prose its self needs a major rehaul. I used a 'lighter' voice to give it more of a highschool vibe than in my other creepy pasta I wrote where I used a deeper voice for the narration from an older man:
youtube.com/watch?v=xv0_iNK3jsQ&t=463s

Thanks for taking the time to listen. I would like to ask that you don't try to give notes if you can't actually sit through the whole thing though. While it doesn't invalidate any criticism i feel it's hard to get really sincere advice without a full look at at least a first chapter.

Attached: Sequence 02.Still001.png (1444x1080, 1.46M)

Poe has all three. Lovecraft definitely doesn’t have prose and barely even has storytelling most of the time, he reputation rests on the strength of his ideas despite his prose. I’d argue if anything Ligotti has the last two, but not the ideas to match.

All of Lovecraft’s stories use the same descriptive words, everything is always ‘cyclopian, antediluvian, antiquarian, eldritch’ again and again and again.

With Ligotti every story always refers back to something like ‘the madness of things, the chaos of things, the disharmony of being, the dissonance of existence’ because ultimately all his stories are grasping towards the one concept. He’s only got that one gesture but despite this he manages to make a lot of well written stories from it. He has better variety in his stories and a better vocabulary despite a single philosophical concept he’s trying to work out in every single story.

It's not cringe like I would expect. If you're going to go with a video you should get the camera closer and set it up so you can read into the microphone while recording, changing it into a voiceover like this is just weird. I think you should either put more effort into a setting and performance or go with a regular voiceover. Haven't listened to the story yet

My parents are going to Miami and since I live in a third world country I can't really find stuff like ligoti or (not so much horror) clark ashton smith, I'm going to ask them to bring me some books.
Any other stuff you guys recommend? Preferably things that are not popular enough to get translated from english

It would be virtually impossible to record this properly in a single take, without any errors and the proper inflections everywhere and such. Especially since I live in the middle of Hollywood so there is constantly cars, partiers, construction, etc. The audio version had to be done with many many cuts and that doesn't even take into account the ocassional slip up or just bad take. I originally intended to blur out so you couldn't see that I wasn't talking. I definitely wouldn't want a close up on my face for it, I was just hoping for comfy spooky atmosphere, not a focus on myself.

The alternative is just what other creepy pasta narrators do which is just looping GIFs or clips they find on the internet like so:
youtube.com/watch?v=yOn9oaLK-O8

Where it's just a picture they found online and the title, and then some sort of loopable graphic like mist, water, etc. I was hoping having me there narrating would give it a more unique spin and engage the audience a bit more.

I'm not sure I can give a better performance over all, do you mean in the part where I'm introducing or the narration or both?

I'll give this a listen now, but just so you know I'm not used to listening to audiobooks/narrated stories. I'd prefer if you uploaded the first chapter somewhere where I can read it.

The audio would be the most consumed version I imagine, but I don't mind uploading it if you'd rather just give notes on whether or not it works as the first entry in a serialization.

docs.google.com/document/d/1Md-MH0QTCdx9EVJcivsQZKSH76WvZ0vZ-O-riONuZuE/edit?usp=sharing

I am less interested in smaller notes (though those ARE welcome) and far more interested in just how it stands as the first chapter in a series, would people want to keep reading the next chapter, will people even be able to make it to the end?

and if not I could sort of 'pitch' an alternate idea I had to see if you think that would work. Thanks for taking the time guys, I'm not going to lie when it comes to the first entry in something I'm pretty iffy in general, but once I release a first episode, chapter, etc. I tend to be pretty strong going forward. Once your basis is down there isn't much you can do to push people away I think.

Attached: 1368858252201.jpg (640x574, 109K)

Yeah, that's a more reasonable take. I've still only ever liked Poe, and I grew up reading Lovecraft but I haven't read him since.

Ok, so I read the document and my first impression is that there might be too much going on at once. My biggest gripe is the dinner scene. It's too abrupt and over the top to fit neatly with what has been presented up to that point. The story starts off setting up how the protagonist is noticing all these weird inconsistencies, nothing too bizarre... And then out of nowhere the dinner hits. And it is over just as quickly. And I get that this sudden shock might very well be the intention (and you probably made it appear very early in the story because of your worry that the first chapter wasn't enticing enough, so it needed a big hook moment) but I don't think that the narration makes it as alarming as it should. It begs to be a moment of climax, but it isn't treated as such. Just as how the parents and Oliver are unphased by what happens, so it seems like you just present it and quickly move on. And I feel that this robs the next reveal (the aparent doppelganger) of any striking feeling because something much more urgent just happened and was quickly left behind.
I think that the dinner scene could be removed from the first chapter and make its appearance further into the story.

On the issue of the chapter as a whole being enticing, I think it is largely fine. I could tell you to trim down some passages that look like filler at first glance, like the initial morning talk, but I also realize they seem to have implications about the broader story (the child slavery, the nets to catch them, etc.). In case I'm wrong and it really is filler, then chop it.

Do y'all niggers even read the Chad Guy N. Smith?

>The dinner scene could be removed
Really? I feel like no one would want to keep reading if I removed that. I also wouldn't want to push it to another chapter as all 12 chapters are already written. It would mean either adding another chapter or doing some heavy reconstruction and chopping. The dinner scene is meant to be abrupt, but I was thinking there might be a middle ground here.

I hope you are still around. So I was thinking to make it a bit less abrupt and make the less seem less fillery I can punch harder with the 'inconsistencies' in his life. The story is about the Mandella effect, and it gets weirder and weirder with each chapter. Chapter 2 starts bringing in supernatural elements and it just gets crazier and crazier until the final chapter when the world looks nothing like our own anymore. I'm thinking what I can do is make these differences more distinct. Let him confront his friend about the distance, and have them get into a fight over something he can't remember. Let his girlfriend be absurdly different, let something spooky happen towards the middle, let him come home to see his neighbors mom crying, perhaps he realizes right then that danny is dead, but its not until dinner that we see his corpse. That way there's a bit more going on, even when its not spooky. How does that sound?

As for the child slave scene oyu aren't wrong. The idea behind this is it's about growing up, and realizing that the world isn't the perfect place you thought it was. You want to make it better but everyone else acts like all these horrible things (like chinese child slaves) is no big deal. That's what happened to me in highschool, and I wanted to have that real world parallel before we dive into a gruesome and supernatural story. Everyone else is just going to keep acting like it's all normal, but for him these things are terrifying.

To clarify, I think if this was released as a novel, not having the dinner scene would make perfect sense, but as a weekly serial I think it needs to be there to give the first chapter an 'episode' feel. Thank you for taking the time to read and give me serious notes by the way.

To clarify the late response, I was at uni until now.

I guess it wasn't clear to me that this was meant as a serial, with each chapter being released periodically. In that case, I agree with you. I would keep the dinner scene, for it to remain being the big gut punch of the first chapter, but I would make it lengthier and overall shine a bigger spotlight on it. You could balance it out by cutting some of the fat from earlier paragraphs, in case you're afraid that it will make the chapter too long.

Yeah I'm thinking cutting this one overall would be good too. I like more drawn out descriptions and inner monologues because I feel like they make the world feel more real, but for a first chapter I think it could stand to be between 1/2 or 3/4 as long as the rest just for the sake of hooking them in. I'm going to try and cut it down, give more focus onthe inconsistencies and do more with the dinner and his freak out there.

How did you feel about the idea of learning about Danny's death before the unveiling of the corpse?

>How did you feel about the idea of learning about Danny's death before the unveiling of the corpse?
I thought that the news of the bus crash already imply that sufficiently to the reader, but maybe your idea of making Ashton see Danny's grieving mother might be good to confirm it to readers that didn't pick it up the first time. Ashton himself doesn't need to make the connection right away, else you risk being too expository, I think. Having the reader join the dots is already enough imo.

So like coming home, seeing the mother crying on the porch, wanting to talk but figuring he has to go get ready for Oliver for instance.

Yes, I was thinking along those lines. Are those the lines that you were thinking along too? I ask because I'd hate to know that you changed it due to my input but wanted to go in a different direction. An artist should value their gut feeling over any critics' suggestions :)

You're my kind of guy, though I do like when people give out of context ideas on smaller things as it helps shake things up in my brain when I know I need a change but can't quite place it, but yeah, that was one of the ideas I had for redrafting before I even posted it here, I just get in my head sometimes and am not sure if I need to keep redrafting or if it's actually fine as is. Things like that, an altercation with his friend, etc. are easy fixes that don't change the rest of the story but could make it things less vague. What I wanted was a chapter of minor inconsistencies before you realized something really big was wrong, but it just doesn't feel like it's going to hook people for serialization.

The only thing I'm really struggling with is a more spooky inconsistency to put towards the middle. IF you don't mind me asking, how do you feel about that comparison with the chinese child slaves as the real world parallel for the journey described here ( ) Is it too much? It would certainly save time removing it (though so will just cutting out the details on the homework. )

Are there any horror novels with subtlety and literary merit beyond having simply done something "first?" Something that will be engaging and which rewards paying close attention like BotNS? Many recs welcome and appreciated.

I'm chasing a feeling given to me by Silent Hill 2. I know how it sounds. Surely there are works of horror literature that are higher art by way of something other than their historical significance.

And having reread my post, I want to say that I also welcome and almost prefer older works. Just not those which have been recognized simply because of their contemporary shock value for the more conservative people of the past.

Not a book, but if you want a good Silent Hill film try to find the movie 'After'. It used to be on netflix, not anymore... but definitely on torrents and some streaming sites. It is a beautiful tale woven in a horror landscape. Better than the actual Silent Hill films, the only thing missing is, you know, the name silent hill.

Premise: Two people on a bus are headed to their hometown. One is a failed writer, the other a failed artist. The bus crashes, and when they wake up there seems to be no one else in the entire town.

>Favorite horror novel
Something Wicked This Way Comes
The Cask of Amontillado
>What is the thing you're afraid of the most
The Day of the Lord

we'd review it for you, but take care that your copyright is somehow maintained. i.e. post watermarked pdfs, link it on scribd, etc.

I think the fact that I got myself uploaded on YouTube reading the whole thing is a pretty good proof of ownership. Already linked in a google doc and that video so it's too late now either way.

What is the scariest story you've ever read?
I've read countless horror short stories, but I've never felt genuine dread while reading any of them. I've never felt scared in the slightest, to be honest.
Can it be that I'm never reading with the right mood, with the right atmosphere? What should I do to make supposedly scary stories actually scare me?

Horror in the written form is probably the most difficult thing to pull off. To be scared you have to WANT to be scared to some degree. The classic horror novels are a lot like classic horror movies, they were scary at the time because people didn't have much experience with them. Now most people have seen intense gorey horror films and are used to the tricks of the trade, so it is a lot more difficult to be scared. Most of the time you have to WANT to be scared and invest your self in a certain way. I think Creepy Pasta has really taken off because the sub-genres tap into things we all sort of find creepy in our day to day existence.

Try the Guts section of Haunted by Palahniuk?

I've read that. It's cringe-inducing (in the nauseating sense), but not scary.
I'm not talking about feeling uncomfortable, I'm talking about feeling fear.

I guess you're right about creepy pastas' popularity being in part due to their relatable "pedestrian" approach, in contrast to the more fantastical and dramatic stories of estabilished genre writers.

I bet you haven't gone near a pool drain since. What are you trying to be scared of? Do you need to be afraid of things that don't exist like ghosts, or will things like Nazis do?

The subject is irrelevant. I'm just trying to come along a story that really frightens me. I can't really point to any directions because, as I said, I can't think of any story that genuinely scared me. That's why I'm asking for the scariest you have ever read, so I might look into it.

Answer the pool drain question. You might just be avoiding things that make you afraid.

Guts didn't affect my relationship with pool drains, no. I rarely ever go swimming in pools anyway.

The thing is though, in Guts, he did it lots of times before anything happened. Everyone remembers what happened but the odds of it happening, even if just limited to him alone as a single case study are pretty low and very few people consider that because the need to avoid the (low) odds of it happening is a fear response. As is nausea/cringe. You might not be labelling things as fear which are fears.

Have a poem while we're working out how to scare you
>Things by Fleur Adcock
There are worse things than having behaved foolishly in public.
There are worse things than these miniature betrayals,
committed or endured or suspected; there are worse things
than not being able to sleep for thinking about them.
It is 5 a.m. All the worse things come stalking in
and stand icily about the bed looking worse and worse and worse.

You sure that's the title ? All i can find when I look is some romance film released this year

youtube.com/watch?v=GNl_u6bh4QE

imdb.com/title/tt1799508/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_2

Thx

Let me know what you think if you watch it tonight. I think I might too.

I’m also reading his complete works because a friend gifted them to me, being my first time reading lovecraft right from the start I really liked the atmosphere he creates

>At the mountains of madness

>Shadow over innsmouth

>That which is beyond the dark, the unknown.

This is the gayest image I've ever seen and I just came from /gif/.

Does anyone else find a lot of Lovecraft's "dream cycle" stuff unbearable? I've never been able to finish The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath, and I've only managed the shorter works because they're, well, short. The senses of wonder and terror in them seem blunted by the lack of any realism to contrast the fantastic with, and so I just get bored with the barrage of made-up names and wild dream vistas.

>>Favorite horror novel
It may have been the timing of when I read it but The Ritual was such a great read I'll never forget it. Outside of that any of the Gothic classics mean a lot to me.
>>Favorite horror short story
Tie between all of Matt Cardin's work if I excuse the "Holy Trinity" from the running
>>What is the thing you're afraid of the most?
When reading a horror novel late at night in the dark and I have that moment where the story makes me question the rules of my reality in favor of it's own

>favourite horror novel
The Girl Next Door by Jack Ketchum
>favourite horror short story
Behind the Yellow Door by Flavia Richardson

I fear cockroaches!

Yeah, I also find them exhausting most of the time.

>When reading a horror novel late at night in the dark
What's the set up here? Reading by lamplight?

all horror literature has failed. While some horror authors have literary ability, they by no means produce anything horrific. Ligotti is closer to a kafka than a lovecraft, and lovecraft was just a sf writer. Gothic literature is just the genre melodramatic depressed poets created because they needed an outlet for their angsty edgelord side.

It's actually The Festival. I've seen lots of people praise The Outsider, but I never see much love for The Festival.

I don't think actual "horror" i.e. disgust or dread can be achieved via literature. More like terror.

>Lovecraftian horror films
John Carpenter's The Thing
Alien
In the Mouth of Madness

Kindle, backlight on the lowest setting

If you like Love Craftian horror I'd check out altitude. Nice indie horror film with lovecraftian elements. It's a bit teenagery but it's good if you like cthulus

I'd like to get one of those. Can you read pirated books on it or only Amazon-bought stuff?

I've used Calibre to upload all kinds of books to it. You're not locked in to Amazon. /g/ usually has an e reader thread. Amazon does make it easy to buy from them or sample books

I think this one is super underrated in that sphere and unfortunately gets lumped into the "nunsploitation" genre, which would be enough to turn anyone off of it. It's basically taking the themes of miscegenation and the horrors of one's ancestry from stuff like The Shadow Over Innsmouth and Facts Concerning the Late Arthur Jermyn and setting it in some deserted fishing village and convent in Ukraine. Should be a must-see for fans of Lovecraft and those into older Italian horror like Fulci and Bava.

Attached: Dark Waters - Cover.jpg (1110x1327, 342K)

Algernon Blackwood.

>write short 'serious' horror stories
>also wanna bust horror pulp
Is there even a market for that style of writing nowadays? Like, schlocky, OTT stuff.

The sex scenes with the noises always made me freak out a bit

This is totally wrong, Lovecraft is an excellent storyteller famous for his shocking climaxes. He's a master of mood and setting, and he would repeatedly rewrite stories to be more appealing to readers of pulp magazines. Storytelling is probably Lovecraft's strongest attribute

>he would repeatedly rewrite stories to be more appealing to readers of pulp magazines.
Who the fuck told you that? I agree that Lovecraft was a good storyteller, but he never cared about appealing to pulp magazines. Lovecraft was an adamantly anti-commercial aesthete who believed a good writer shouldn't stoop to pandering to the masses. Herbert West–Reanimator and The Lurking Fear are the only works of fiction he cynically wrote for profit.

Your accent is off-putting to me as a Britfag, same why mine would turn you off. IMO release it as a document to be read. I should be able to voice your character in my head if your writing holds.

This sounds bitchy but I stuck more with that pdf you posted rather than the video.

>Your accent is off-putting to me as a Britfag, same why mine would turn you off
We tend to like Brittish accents here in the states, particularly for narration. That being said, do you really think it is sound advice there? You're talking about how you don't like an accent simply because it isn't your own, so doesn't it stand to reason that all of the Americans this is aimed at wouldn't mind so much? The reason I decided to narrate this after all was people really like my voice when I did my previous narrations, some of those went on to get millions of views.

I will be releasing both versions at the end, of course, just trying to feel my way for if it is even worth it to record it at all. If I can get 100 views per video I would be happy with it.

>This sounds bitchy but I stuck more with that pdf you posted rather than the video.
I don't think it's bitchy (unless it's what you intended) just answering my question basically. Do you have any notes on it as written though?

Dracula
Shadow over Innsmouth
God

There's many, but they usually don't pay all that well.
horrortree.com

Yeah, I've never heard that either. Joshi even goes as far as to argue that the longer Reanimator goes on, the more Lovecraft is taking the piss and parodying the content, which is something he would've found insulting to the stuff he created as art for art's sake.

>Joshi even goes as far as to argue that the longer Reanimator goes on, the more Lovecraft is taking the piss and parodying the content
I agree with Joshi's observation. Reanimator starts out as atmospheric horror but by the end it's so ridiculous Lovecraft must've been taking the piss.

Does anyone have a .pdf of Lord Dunsany's The Curse of the Wise Woman?
Cannot seem to find it anywhere and have been looking for a book with such an atmosphere for a long time.

Attached: alain_de_benoist.jpg (1024x925, 201K)

Apparently you can borrow it from here archive.org/details/curseofwisewoman0000duns but I don't know how it works.

Will Ligotti's other books like Noctuary ever get reprints like Songs of a Dead Dreamer and Grimscribe? You can get them as ebooks, but I don't like reading on a screen, and physical copies are prohibitively expensive.

>Ligotti

Attached: Langan_and_Barron.jpg (1912x1376, 540K)

>that image
I never thought anything could sum up how I feel about everything so thoroughly. Weird feeling.

Thanks I'll borrow it when I catch the time to read it in a couple sittings.

How many of you have read ligotti? His print stuff is pretty hard to find for me. Do you all just do ebooks?

You're a run-of-the-mill reactionary in his 20s, apparently.

is It true they're making a 2nd snu?

Are you in a country with poor book availability in general? Teatro Grottesco, Songs/Grimscribe, and Conspiracy Against the Human Race are all in print, and Noctuary is usually findable online for under $30 in the states.

>We tend to like Brittish accents here in the states, particularly for narration.
No, you like the fancy London accent. Not my working class Black Country noise.

For some reason the document isn't working for my phone.

Lol he's in like every major bookshop. Penguin reprinted a collection of his stuff. Who doesn't stock Penguin?

Still, doesn't it stand to reason that if my target audience is Americans that Americans will enjoy it, since the reason you cite for not enjoying it is just a difference in accents?

>for some reason the document isn't working for my phone
It seemed like I got all the advice I was going to get so I deleted the text in the document, your phone is probably working fine.

I'm in the states but I only frequent used book stores and ignore stuff like B&N and Amazon. Maybe I'll break that streak to add his stuff to my collection.

Hey, i was being honest, not nasty about your voice. Release it how you want to, dude.

>deleted the text
Fair enough

>Hey, i was being honest, not nasty about your voice
I didn't think you were being nasty, I was just questioning your logic. I posted it in order to get some ideas for improvements, I'm just asking a follow up question about your logic. If there were reasons outside of not being your accent I wouldn't really be asking this sort of thing, but do you see why your critique on that doesn't really make sense as far as canceling the whole thing? I don't intend to release it solely for guys with your accent who hate other people's accents after all.

>deleted the text
You had said you already read it so I figured if you were going to respond at some point you'd remember what you had gripes with.

I never claimed to be special. Just disillusioned and wishing both myself and my contemporaries had a more valuable mindset for art and human achievement in general. I'd say you might try turning that pompous glance inward some time, but you're likely afraid to do that.

I'm on my second Kobo e-reader (first one breaking was my fault) and got my brother the Clara HD for Christmas. I guess the Kindle is more popular because Amazon, but you dont have to fiddle with Calibre or anything to get free books. Also look up a guide to the bookz IRC, super simple way to find most books.

Im another britisher and I quite like your voice. I think to inpmprove it you could try to pronounce every syllable trying to sound more ... neutral perhaps? A well spoken voice sounds good for horror.

Your voice reminds me of this video which I very much enjoyed:
youtu.be/XaCg8YsnCtY

Keep up the good work user

I can see why you enjoy that guys voice, though it's much better than mine. I think I did better on an earlier narration I did where I used a deeper voice (in this one I wanted to sound more like the inner voice of a small highschooler) but it still pales in comparrison to that guys. I think before I re-record the revision I'm working on I'll spend a good day just practicing a few short paragraphs over and over again, seeing what I like and don't like and trying to phrase it all again.

>>Favorite horror novel
Duma Key
>>Favorite horror short story
Morella
Death.. probably.

Any specific stories by him?

bump
Any literary horror about suffering and guilt?

Attached: image.jpg (600x587, 100K)

>Frankenstein
>Buried Alive
>Actually finding a will to live instead of just killing myself in the next 10-15 years

>Im another britisher
Where you from? Also, is the accent love mutual? Do yanks really like ours?

The ones already mentioned in this thread are famous for a reason. Hes a great writer.

Well, my gf made me watch The Notebook so now dementia is pretty high up there. To lose any of one's basic faculties, to not "live fully", is pretty damn scary. Kill me if I become a vegetable or forget everything and everyone.

The Prisoner in Faery Land is what I'm reading right now. It's very very rambling, but also very very beautiful

Why does everyone write him off as a Stephen King rip-off when they don't have that much in common and he's obviously a much better writer in every way?

Attached: peter straub.jpg (1706x2560, 1.07M)

Who says he's a rip off?

Stephen King fans on Reddit.

>on Reddit
...... so nobodies then

Nathan Ballingrud has a book titled North American Lake Monsters. I think it might be what you're looking for.

Attached: 1553491079067.png (1233x957, 206K)

Lovecraft has great prose. The most merciful thing in The world, I think

>Favorite horror novel
Death Troopers
Whisperer in Darkness
Middle Eastern Immigrants