Did well enough financially to get a second movie, which was already being conceptualized

>did well enough financially to get a second movie, which was already being conceptualized
>gets cucked out of existence because Imagi killed itself by making Astro Boy and Nickelodeon buying the franchise out

Attached: images[1].jpg (1175x1763, 391.71K)

Other urls found in this thread:

peterlairdstmntblog.blogspot.com/2012/02/blast-from-past-483-thoughts-on-second.html
youtube.com/watch?v=Ue9o3h9FTK4
youtube.com/watch?v=xg7ABQOFaCE
youtube.com/watch?v=2wJyf8GNtEo
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TMNT_(film)#Cancelled_sequels
youtu.be/acONkFOhVvA
youtu.be/97KCOv0NeVM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

TMNT as a franchise would've been better off if these movies did well enough and got to be a franchise series. Even if it ended up being a DTV one, its still better than what Nick's done.

Blame the execs for utterly ruining Secret of the Ooze, which was intended to be far more ambitious and was gonna based on the comics like the first movie instead of turning into something more akin to the 80s cartoon.

i fucking loved this movie

Sauce?

>which was already being conceptualized
I didn't know that, shame I really liked this moive

This was a really shit movie with no focus at all.

Here's some of Peter Laird's notes on the early brainstorming for the second movie.
peterlairdstmntblog.blogspot.com/2012/02/blast-from-past-483-thoughts-on-second.html

In the comments he talks about the Utrom Perry thing
>"I remember reading that Professor Jordan Perry from the second movie was supposed to be an Utrom, was this true?"

>My recollection is that the Utrom connection WAS in the movie, and that there was a brief scene near the end of the movie when Prof. Perry lifts up his shirt and reveals the Utrom within. I think I heard that it was actually filmed, but I've never seen it, so can't verify that. I think it would have been very cool to have that in the second movie, as it could have set up a rollicking sci-fi adventure for the third live-action movie.

Wikipedia doesn't mention it but there's several videos you can find on the subject matter on YouTube. Long story short was the film actually lived up to it's name about the Secret of the Ooze, which was the same origin it had in the comics, being a creation of the Utroms. The Utroms were gonna be a part of the plot (as well as the Triceratons but unlike the Utroms I can't really find a more concrete source on that), and even when all that was phased out, they were still planned on revealing Professor Perry to be an Utrom in the final film, which they removed because they thought kids would mistake him for Krang.
youtube.com/watch?v=Ue9o3h9FTK4
youtube.com/watch?v=xg7ABQOFaCE

youtube.com/watch?v=2wJyf8GNtEo
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TMNT_(film)#Cancelled_sequels

Short story is second movie was gonna bring back Shredder and be more focused on the Foot Clan. Mikey was join the foot because he felt wasn't being taken seriously by his brothers (the foot has a truce with the Turtles atm so it's not as stupid as it sounds) and they were gonna go to Japan.

A sequel could have fixed some of the issues so it's a shame it never happened.

>lived up to it's name
Fucking ESL's.

Nah I blame parents.
Meanwhile I think the third movie is underrated.

That would have been maximum hype of an ending/teaser for the next movie.

IT SUCKS!

Attached: IMG_20220408_172446.jpg (471x1104, 139.51K)

Attached: IMG_20220408_162736~3.jpg (485x904, 113.75K)

>made a simple typo
>durr ESL
Shut up retard

Who is writing this? Context?

Also the Astro Boy film was gonna be 2D animation originally?

found it in a website. And no, it was CG from the start

one can only wonder what a trainwreck of a production that Gatchaman film must've been. It was greenlighted before Astroboy and scheduled to premiere first, yet the latter reached the finish line first instead. Apparently, there were tons of story issues, director/writer changes, and behind the scenes drama with Tatsunoko. By the time Imagi closed down, it didn't even have a voice cast or a distributor

This movie was like a kindergartner wrote it.
>There's this magical portal to another world
>Which opens every 10,000 years due to the alignment of the stars
>And this ancient warrior guy and his friends find the magical stones which let it open ... in addition to the stars thing
>And it turns the warrior guy immortal, but makes his friends statues because ?
>And then a bunch of monsters come through the portal, too (they never came through before?)
>So it's like the present and the immortal guy is preparing for the stars to align again and so he needs to collect the monsters because otherwise the portal won't make him mortal again (so the monsters being here made him immortal ... and turned his friends to stone? did monsters never come through before?)
>And and so he's like super rich but he needs to hire the foot clan to capture the monsters because plot I guess (really, there's no reason for the Foot to be involved, it's just fanfic-tier writing)
>Also there's a subplot about Raphael being all angry and stuff and he almost kills Leonardo
>And a subplot about how the turtles drifted apart and April trying to get them back together ... I don't quite get all this but my Daddy says there needs to be drama
It's just so much shit thrown together. The foot and the monsters should've been thrown out. Stone warriors are terrorizing the city the collect stones. April recognizes one of the warriors as a statue he helped rich guy collect. The turtles assume he's up to something evil (maybe she and Donatello do some research and learn about the stars thing and think he'll use it to TAKE OVER THE WORLD). They confront him, he reveals he's trying to help bring peace to himself and his rock friends (death) and pretty much the final fight turns out the same way.

>And no, it was CG from the start
It literally says in the second image "then there was the transition of the film from two-dimension to three-dimension"

weird how Astroboy was originally distributed by WB, only for Summit Entertainment to adquire the rights out of nowhere. WB being the original distributor explains why script was penned by a Space Jam writer

Imagi was such a poorly managed company. They worked on this back in 2004/2005, yet it never saw the light of day. All the assets were sold
youtu.be/acONkFOhVvA

Attached: Djm7sxswxq0ls7sd.jpg (300x411, 33.22K)

I thought the sequel was going to focus on Michaelangelo when his brothers were changed back in to ordinary turtles

See the video about it in . That was drawn up by someone at Mirage or Imagi I think, but someone else says that wasn't really anything concrete related to what they had planned for the film.

It was extremely mediocre. All of Imagi’s movies were mediocre.
As much as a Gatchaman and a Gigantor movie would make me happy, I didn’t have faith in Imagi to come up with good scripts. Astro Boy was such milquetoast crap despite being based on a really imaginative and interesting manga.

This looks very uncanny and generic, maybe it was for the best.

Also that girl cat is pretty much Talking Angela.

Attached: IMG_20220408_160440.jpg (602x1044, 162.87K)

I swear to god, I saw an image of the Perry scene before with the Utrom, but now I can’t find it.
Am I going insane?

I just looked them up because I dunno what they've even made besides TMNT and Astro Boy, and dafuk... they co-made that Highlander anime movie?

>Am I going insane?
Probably

Forgot image

Attached: qhej3cis0u741.jpg (640x919, 85.57K)

That was just a concept image and wasn't based on any actual plot

It's a shame they never brought back the Nightwatcher in any later incarnation. Was a pretty cool concept.

I really wanted that gatchaman movie, probably the one movie I wanted to support because I'm like the only person in my various friend circles who actually likes the science ninja team. Would've been great. I think the russo's studio is currently working on a battle of the planets movie

Attached: Gatchaman-posterart.jpg (560x830, 225.33K)

>flops at box office and ends up the lowest grossing CG film of 2009
>indifferent critical reception
>doesn't get nominated for anything
>bankrupts the studio behind it
>causes director to retire from animation and switch to live action, after working on animation for decades
truly a failure of an adaptation

Attached: astroboy-poster~2.jpg (620x725, 88.25K)

Attached: Tumblr_l_262983613340251.png (500x621, 422.49K)

Neat. 2007's palette wasn't that washed out though.

A Gatchaman movie that actively uses the tone of the darker episodes would be incredible, but I don’t have faith in Imagi, and especially not the Russos, to actually capture that interesting balance between fun science fiction and the cold, harsh reality of teenagers being sent as soldiers to fight a threat that has actual consequences and stakes attached.

The biggest problem is that it stripped away everything that makes Astro Boy so memorable. They took away the edge and imagination attached and just made a really generic CGI movie.

this movie's animation had style. It looked very nice at the time
youtu.be/97KCOv0NeVM

God this was really bad. Utter dogshit origin story that spent like 2/3 of the entire running time on boring shit.

It was trying to invoke a comic book style without going cell-shaded. It doesn't really look anything special now in terms of how well it has aged, but the grittiness is appreciated.

>they just made a really generic CGI movie
it was made by the director of Flushed Away, another generic CGI movie. Astroboy turning out the same was to be expected

Flushed Away is way better than Imagi's Astro Boy

I wish gatchaman got more recognition, especially the classic series. You'd figure nowadays with the shin series, the way animation is that they'd take another jab at it.

Attached: Tumblr_l_262340131883934.jpg (1182x760, 235.62K)

it is, but that doesn't change that it's a generic "fish out of the water/boy meets girl" story (albeit a fun one)

one of the few good things to come from Astroboy is the Kristen Bell character. She was all right

Attached: IMG_20220408_151947~2.jpg (1390x2037, 240.35K)

I actually love Flushed Away.

I’m sort of glad it’s fallen into the more obscure. It’s such a great series, and the recent “reboots” have been garbage. Gatchaman’s premise was standard, but the actual execution was lightning in a bottle.

they really pandered to western audiences with Astroboy. The main villain is literally a Bush Jr parody obsessed with reelection, wars and arm races. It isn't subtle at all, neither is it timely

Attached: Astro-boy-disneyscreencaps.com-3100.jpg (1920x816, 146.36K)

>obsessed with reelection, wars and arm races
>neither is it timely
Dunno, that still describes America aptly to me

The only time I heard the Astro Boy movie mentioned in pop culture was when John stewart briefly talked about watchign it with his son in the opening to a daily show and how he was unprepared for the movie to deal with death or having his son start asking him questions about it. And John's an open minded liberal guy, but even then I think he just expected a typical Dreamworks/Blue Sky/Illumination silly CGI movie. So as much as people shit on it for being toothless as an adaptation, I think that still was something audiences weren't ready for.

>I'm gonna give the people of this city a reason to re-elect me
>Listen, Tenma, I've got an election to win
>This is what I've been waiting for! Declare war on them! This is going to get me re-elected
>I'm running for re-election, in case you hadn't noticed, and we're in an arms race with the Surface!
>I've got the Blue Core, and my Peacekeeper's gonna start a war with the Surface. That's bound to get me re-elected
>When I'm re-elected, you can have the funding to make as many little toys as you want
>Where's your robot friend? Where is he? I've got an election to win, and I want that Core
>No, you can't do this to me! I've got an election to win!
Astroboy writers didn't even try to be subtle

Sir, this is a TMNT thread

TMNT was a property with an audience that was going to age out. The '90s sequels would've declined regardless of how they were.

>an audience that was going to age out.
The comics were aimed at adults, and the first movie was based on the comics with only small bits of influence from the show. I doubt if they hadn't of rushed Secret of the Ooze and hadn't of dumbed it down it wouldn't have came out "too late" for the adult audience

That doesn't change the fact that the majority of its fans were kids who got into it via the cartoon and were going to check out once they hit puberty.

So then they'd grow into the movies and not out of them

Leo vs Raph was the only memorable part of the movie

>TV shows : Zentrix, Father of the Pride
>movies : Digital Monster X-Evolution, TMNT, Astro Boy
>unfinished movies : Cat Tale, Gatchaman, Tusker
>proof of concept trailers : Zelda, Gigantor
every Imagi work

You think it's impressive to us that you know how to use google?

Zelda and Gigantor being only proof of concept trailers is never mentioned. Nintendo and Hikari didn't greenlight them as movies

Did I ask you about any of that? No, I didn't.