I missed the boat on all the battinson threads but I just watched it and I think it's the best cross between a comic...

I missed the boat on all the battinson threads but I just watched it and I think it's the best cross between a comic and realistic batman movie
>Gotham
Loved the look of the city, it took what was unique about burton and TAS and brought it to live action, watching this it didn't look like bale running around chicago
>Bruce
I would've preferred them play up the playboy aspect of it but emo Bruce is a cool different take
>Batman
I like how they changed it from Bale because he's not constantly monologuing about justice and everything yes it's changed to vengeance but it works. I also like how they made him more of a detective, the league of shadows stuff was cool but I like how Batman isn't some MMA pro
>miscellaneous
The only thing I didn't like was the "incel" stuff. Yeah it makes sense but what I didn't understand was riddlers endgame. What was the point of the arena stuff? I get the mayor but everyone else? And why didn't they target everyone else right of the bat or have more explosive planted inside?

Attached: B8F78E48-252F-4745-AD0C-95007AE94429.jpg (900x900, 88.13K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Cwcinb2OxUo
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I’ll get in on this thread with you OP, the dust has settled a bit but I really like how Gotham felt like the hellhole city it is in the comics. Pretty good detective story, but Bruce definitely still feels like he’s still learning the ropes of being a detective. I plan on rewatching it on hbo max soon with the bois

I still wish he had proper Batarangs and a gliding cape, but its year two so maybe later. What I like is the intro. Great tone, musical score, and the montage of frightened goons afraid to enter the shadows

emo bruce works still works for year 2 because he's still learning he can't 100% be batman as a pure agent of fear. he'll have to establish the wayne foundation and use bruce to help the city in other ways besides his fists

there is still time for playboy bruce

Yeah that batarang didn’t feel right. I will say it looked cool as a symbol on his chest. Would love a court of owls adaptation where Bruce goes full schizo as a sequel.

I told a bunch of my buddies this that hated his demeanor. He’s still technically learning how to balance being Batman and the eventual socialite we come to know in the source material.

Best batman

the ending pretty much confirms this as bruce is helping people off the roof and his narration, he is learning

Honestly I liked them not using the gliding cape. It's cool don't get me wrong but it felt, goofy i guess with the way it was used in DK. I will say to I liked how little gadgets he used, part of Batman has always been the gadgets but at a certain point it gets stupid.

So you just want him to be a guy who dresses like a giant bat with minimal use of gadgets, no ninja ability and just walks around punching dudes in the face the whole film?

>I didn't understand was riddlers endgame.
I think they made his end plan so over the top, because he was too successful in the first 2/3 of the movie. He is ahead of the police and Batman every step of the way, they never actually prevent any of his kills/plans. He uses Batman to get Falcone, and is caught because he gives himself up. He even gets the bombs to go off and floods the city before anyone can figure out and stop them. He states his motivation early on is to get back at the corrupt system that screwed up his life as an orphan (a motivation intentionally mirroring Bruce's); and he is ends up successful in his plans (in line with this motivation) up till the killing of Falcone.
The bit at the end about 'flooding the city, and killing the people in the arena' seems tacked on because it doesn't fit his established motivation; it retroactively makes it seem like he was lying about his motivation and really just wanted to hurt/kill people because he was hurt, or that he was incapable of separating the corrupt from the innocent/legitimate (the mayor at the end wasn't corrupt and was actually good but he still tried to kill her). The later doesn't really make sense, because he spent the whole first 2 acts of the movie weeding out the corrupt the corrupt politicians, police and criminals; so he clearly knows who is a 'justified' target and who isnt. Making his motivation a front for just wanting to kill people makes him a less interesting character. Making him more cartoonishly evil and providing an additional assassination that Batman can prevent is only there to justify Batman being a hero in the end, he failed 90% of the movie.
I think if they leaned harder onto the 'Seven' influence, and made him more religious or biblically inspired, they could set it up like him feeling motivated by God to bring about a 'flood to wash away the sinners' and it could work without changing much.

Attached: drdoomlounging.jpg (527x800, 123.18K)

Yeah I appreciate them at least taking the time to make it look like all of his gear is still in developmental stages. It was a nice touch.

>realistic Batman
>walks in the front door of crime scenes and public establishments in full suit
>operates in daytime out in the open
>still won't use guns
>no gadgets to compensate
>batmobile is just a pimped up muscle car
>they don't even go the Thomas Wayne route with the character
You forgot also that he's dumber and not dumber in correlation to the villain which would've worked in the movie's favor,just dumber all around.
>gets knocked out not once but twice
>doesn't get killed outright or has his mask removed because of nothing short than plot armor
At least Bale's Batman had enough foresight to think ahead and presume the day would come where he'd get knocked on his ass and as a last ditch attempt had that electro-shock countermeasure in his suit to prevent some random goon from unmasking him in TDK.

tl;dr
it was shite batman movie mate

Attached: 174585410460.jpg (460x559, 63.69K)

You can even get the feeling when he would be Bruce at the funeral or to meet Falcone, that he saw his true identity as a tool he could use to further his investigation. That coupled with the speech you brought up showed he will learn he needs to be a good Bruce Wayne to be a good Detective

To be fair the thing with the muscle car was explained in some prequel book. Supposedly this iteration of Bruce is a street racer

I think it was based as fuck how both the hero and the villain were spergs.
Joker's gonna betray the riddler I'm calling it.

Good, it made my dong VERY large

What I meant was in TDK movie he had all these fancy ass gadgets for everything. The most fancy thing he has are the contacts and a grapple gun. Like even his bat mobile is better, it's not some goofy tank and seems perfectly realistic.
Wrong

They had to give him a cartoonishly evil plan to kill innocents in the last act because they accidentally made too good an argument for the villain in the first two acts, and they needed a way to justify why he's the villain.

Seriously, neither Batman nor Gordon have any clue about the extent of corruption in Gotham. Riddler reveals it for them and exposes it to the public. He exposes a criminal conspiracy, exposes the corrupt DA and commissioner, and it's literally because he killed the corrupt incumbent that the progressive candidate became certain to win. He also eliminated the mob don of the city. Riddler literally fixes Gotham, and his one flaw is that he's too sadistic and cruel and maybe could have done the same shit without making somebody get eaten alive by rats.

So, after Riddler literally fixes Gotham after Batman has been unable to do that for two years, the script goes "oh fuck, our villain is a more effective hero than our hero," so they have him try to shoot puppies in a bag so that they can say, "See? He's the bad guy."

The thing about "villains with a point" is that it can indeed make the narrative more interesting and deeper if the villain has a point that challenges the hero and isn't just pure evil, but if you make the villain literally 100% correct, it breaks the story. Funny that you post Doom, because this is the same problem with when Marvel writers establish that the world would indeed run perfectly if Doom were in charge. That's not deep, that's just the writers not thinking very hard about the implications on a story where they are telling us Doom is the villain and Reed is the hero.

I liked both the "The Batman" and Nolanverse use of gadgets.

In The Batman, it's all pretty basic, practical stuff. Flashlights, grapple-line… I didn't like the wingsuit because what's the point of the cape if it can't glide, but I liked how overall, it felt like BTAS level of tech. Batman isn't Iron Man with crazy sci-fi tools.

I also liked the Nolan tech. Even though he had a lot of gadgets, it was all plausible shit. It seemed like Batman was the kind of guy who has cutting military tech that's maybe at most 10 years away, instead of being Iron Man. Even the skyhook thing was somewhat based on reality.

I feel like, even with the tech, Batman's gotta be kinda a MacGyver who has general-purpose tools he has to adapt for the situation, rather than always coincidentally having the perfect tool for the job.

BvS, something about Batman throwing that gadget with perfect aim onto every mook's gun so that their guns wouldn't work anymore just pissed me off. Like, what the fuck is this? An EMP for gunpoweder? How does this even work? It seemed as silly as that electrical-gadget trap from Batman Forever, or shark repellant.

It was supposed to be a parallel to Bruce's whole vengeance thing. Riddler had the right targets but the only thing he did about it was mindless vengeance. Plus his plan worked to get rid of key crime figures but all that did was leave a power vacuum that's filled basically instantly when the movie ends. What would he do then? Just keep killing more and more people to try and wipe the slate clean like he did at the end.
The whole point of the movie was basically just meant to make Bruce realize that he has to do more than beat up criminals in dark alleys because he's sad about his parents.

>The whole point of the movie was basically just meant to make Bruce realize that he has to do more than beat up criminals in dark alleys because he's sad about his parents.
He also needed to lead the frightened, huddled minorities masses out of ignorance darkness with his natural racial superiority and deserved wealth beacon of hope.

Attached: thebatmanflood.png (928x420, 379.94K)

in BvS it was a little charge that just damaged the receiver so the gun couldn't feed but i understand what you're saying

year 2 batman seems to just macgyver shit to make work and has to be lightweight with him carrying and have multiple functions

"grounded" "gritty" Riddler sucked tbqh, not looking forward to how they screw up other villains

i actually like how he didn't have a gliding cape, the gliding cape is only a recent thing that the nolan films and the arkham games started, before that he always had a gliding device
also i do like the film but the third act was terrible and catwoman wasn't that great either, i still don't think there has been a movie or comic that had catwoman as a good character.

>they don't even go the Thomas Wayne route with the character
off topic but i really wish we got more out of that flashpoint batman it had really great stuff

having catwoman become his adoptive daughter and "batgirl" was so cool

Keaton bats had one, though it was mostly used for dramatic entrances from top of frame

>best cross between a comic and realistic batman movie
where is this supposed "comic" portion of The Batman outside of using comicbook characters? It's just more shitty muh gritty realism take on superheroes. It's fuckin boring

I liked that he atleast built his tech in this one. Could never buy Baleman as a true Batman adaptation because he lacked the intelligence Batman is supposed to have.
Batman is a super-scientist. Deal with it.

Attached: Batman_109.jpg (1280x1833, 668.32K)

What?You didn't like The Penguin?
>he's a mobster
>not physical defect to justify his moniker
>not obsession over penguins
>does not even yhave a pet penguin
>he's called the penguin because....uuuh...b-because..uuuuuuh..LOOK HE JUST IS OK?!

>the gliding cape is only a recent thing that the nolan films and the arkham games started,
lol no.
It debuts in Dark Knight Returns for real and I can find you old comics from the 40s where he'd use the cape to break his fall.

Attached: batman_gliding.jpg (1041x1600, 537.32K)

I thought it was pretty underwhelming.
No scene really stuck with me, and there were a lot of awkward moments and choreography. It couldn't settle on a tone, and none of the characters were particularly engaging aside from The Riddler (who is definitely the highlight of the movie).
Didn't justify its runtime, or even its existence quite frankly. I had thought Batman movies to be immune to "superhero fatigue" (BvS I don't count because it's some weird semi-sequel crossover thing), but this proved me wrong. I'm not interested in this film's universe at all.

i think that's also him breaking his fall, miller had batman use a gliding device in year one so idk why he'd have him suddenly glide in this comic

>Nobody can fly
>Superman is the crux of this story

Miller was making this shit up as he went along huh?

>miller had batman use a gliding device in year one so idk why he'd have him suddenly glide in this comic
Miller's Batman focuses on the escalation gadgetry aspect of Batman. How he goes from almost getting gunned down in an alley way to fighting Superman
Year One Batman is already pretty smart, building the sonar device and his glider. ASBAR introduces the flying Batmobile, by DKR he's got power armor and an indestructible BatTank.

The whole motif of the story is that the superheroes have all been stuffed under the rug after some event that occurred in the 70s which forced Batman and the rest to retire. Did you read the story? Huge part of what pisses Batman off is how Superman arrested all the superheroes like they were villains, tearing off Green Arrow's arm, but still does G-Man spook work for the government.

>>batmobile is just a pimped up muscle car
tbf, that's essentially what it was originally supposed to be. much better that way than a Nolan-esque Bat-Tank.

>Superman arrested all the superheroes like they were villains, tearing off Green Arrow's arm
What the fuck? Is Superman's descent to anti-villainy justified in the least, or is it just some random shit that happens?

I'm still building up to reading TDK.

>or that he was incapable of separating the corrupt from the innocent/legitimate
You know why people shoot up schools or other soft targets (aside from security)? Because they want the world to suffer. They're taking vengeance against humanity itself, not just a few who "wronged" them.

It's Batman tanking the frame of a concept car and turning it into an indestructible rocket ship on wheels. Which The Batman accomplishes nicely.

>walks in the front door of crime scenes and public establishments in full suit
This is what pissed me off the most. This Batman has no subtlety at all, he never uses stealth or does anything clever. He just barges in and tanks every bullet with his invulnerable suit.

user addressed that, and how that just makes him less of an interesting villain--too one dimensional. See here:
>The bit at the end about 'flooding the city, and killing the people in the arena' seems tacked on because it doesn't fit his established motivation; it retroactively makes it seem like he was lying about his motivation and really just wanted to hurt/kill people because he was hurt, or that he was incapable of separating the corrupt from the innocent/legitimate (the mayor at the end wasn't corrupt and was actually good but he still tried to kill her). The later doesn't really make sense, because he spent the whole first 2 acts of the movie weeding out the corrupt the corrupt politicians, police and criminals; so he clearly knows who is a 'justified' target and who isnt. Making his motivation a front for just wanting to kill people makes him a less interesting character. Making him more cartoonishly evil and providing an additional assassination that Batman can prevent is only there to justify Batman being a hero in the end, he failed 90% of the movie.

It's not villainy, Miller's Superman is 1941-1957 Superman, i.e the patriotic metaphor for foreign policy.
Superman's whole thing is that the world is on the brink, and he'll do whatever it takes to maintain the order. Batman's whole thing is that Superman is a hypocrite who isn't as smart as he thinks he is, even going so far as to ask Supes "You're coming for me, but who are they going to send after you?"
Two different ideas of patriotism revealed through DKR. The loyalist in Superman, the rebel in Batman.
Then DK2 reveals that Luthor has quietly been becoming Mr. Illuminati.

Attached: RCO016_1470805979.jpg (1041x1600, 415.79K)

I wouldn't be surprised if the flooding was a last minute rewrite (gave me some major Batman Begins vibes, last second disaster that destroys the city), and originally it was just Batman vs the shooters who were only targeting politicians/police.

Oh yeah he really tanked that shotgun really good at the end
Because like I said the world they have looks like a comic version of Gotham. Not as gothic as the old movies but not "hey it's just a color corrected chicago" Grounded riddler is better for a movie like this compared to Carey or other comic riddlers.

>Because like I said the world they have looks like a comic version of Gotham.
it's literally just Chicago again but cut with London and Liverpool this time instead of Hong Kong like in The Dark Knight. Just because you've never stepped foot out of Wyoming or whatever the fuck doesn't mean it looks like a comic version of Gotham

sorry, not trying to insult you or sound like a dick, I just really cannot see The Batman's Gotham as "comic"y at all. Literally no part of the movie gave me the impression this was any more special than any other over crowded cityscape

>Grounded riddler is better for a movie like this compared to Carey or other comic riddlers.

There's no point in making a grounded Riddler, to do so you have to take away key aspects of his character and at that point he's the Riddler in name only. Might as well not use him at all and replace him with another villain who can be better translated into a more realistic setting

>Yea Forums hates battinson
>Yea Forums loves battinson
always knew you guys understood bats better

Attached: batsyearone.jpg (1200x676, 146.38K)

A lot of mass murderers plans don't hold up to much philosophical scrutiny. Even 9/11 was pretty dubiously sane.

The girl that got killed was supposed to be Selina's girlfriend right

as usual, you retards on this board have the redit take on it. Sad really that this board is just tumblr + redit now.
This movie was legit one of the most boring movies i've ever watched and was absolutely nothing batman about it

>or that he was incapable of separating the corrupt from the innocent/legitimate (the mayor at the end wasn't corrupt and was actually good but he still tried to kill her)

That's certainly part of it. He sees the entire city and system corrupt, so why wouldn't he think anyone who's mayor working in the system wouldn't also be or eventually become corrupt? He's obviously biased and blinded by his lust for revenge. It doesn't change anything about his previous actions. His personal vendetta against the system itself just climaxes in lashing out against the entire city with the flood and assassination attempt of the mayor after he has personally killed the other figureheads. The system wouldn't change, it would just have other people assume the empty slots if he had stopped at Falcone's death.2twv

spikes my testosterone in the same way Mad Max's Ford Interceptor does. gave me goosebumps in the theatre with that glorious surround sound bass shaking the whole fucking building

I really enjoyed it and would like to see what Superman is like in this world. It may be more grounded than Nolan, but feels more comic book so I think Supes could work.

The soundtrack is so fucking good
youtu.be/Cwcinb2OxUo

It wasn't Green Lantern, it was Green Arrow, and it was because he continued being a super hero even after everyone else quit, Green Lantern fucked off to space sometime in the 70's when he realized things were going to turn bad.

>I'm still building up to reading TDK.
Watch the animated feature length, then read the comic if you like it. Don't bother with any of the sequels.

I'm talking about the architecture. All the arches and they way it's set up. It looks like how I imagine a Gotham would look in real life
Also Wyoming doesn't exist retard I live outside of Chicago
Here's your (you)

I really liked it as well but I also really want freeze and not joker in the sequel.

Attached: 1642976474303.gif (280x358, 2.58M)

The music was awful in this. It all sounded like royalty free placeholder stuff before they put the actual music in.

yeah bi-sexual selina is pretty kino

Attached: catwoman.gif (500x280, 436.46K)

the sequel needs to be a nine hour three-parter

>Also Wyoming doesn't exist retard
what conspiracy theory is this

>I live outside of Chicago
midwest boonies meth addict confirmed, OP opinions disregarded

Who said Green Lantern?
>Watch the animated feature length, then read the comic if you like it. Don't bother with any of the sequels.
Bad advice.
Read the books first, DKR, Year One, DK2, ASBAR, DKIII, Last Crusade, Golden Child. That order.

Attached: AllstarBatman-7.jpg (1919x503, 394.86K)