Is this the comic that killed American Comics

And here it is. Possibly THE landmark comics event in the 90's.

Despite the fact that he's (at the very least) a self-important egotistical braggart who only got notoriety because of his daddy, Max Landis was right about one thing: this event didn't kill Superman, it killed death for American superhero comics.

This made actual news, and when (this isn't a spoiler) Superman came back, it pretty much broke the trust and brand name for Superman for years to come.

Attached: RCO029_1469491739.jpg (1600x1230, 1.02M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/SgAXCT99m0M
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>broke the trust
You say that like anyone actually wanted Superman to stay dead. The entire Reign of the Supermen arc, the most popular part of the trilogy, was built on the mystery of who was the real Superman.

'Fans' who want popular characters to be killed off for real forever are retarded.

>a self-important egotistical braggart who only got notoriety because of his daddy
Not to mention a schizo pedo

Fuck this is so dumb. What a bad post.

Yeah, people back then were already used to the idea that big 2 characters staying dead was the exception rather than the rule.
Only people that didn't read comics thought it was for real.
So not much has changed, really.

2/10

Phoenix existed before that.

Watchmen is what merced superhero comics because they all got the message that it was time to "grow-up" but took that to mean be extremely edgy, a political soap box and/or exclusively for manchildren

This didn't ruin death in capeshit. Superman was always meant to come back.
What actually ruined it was Jean Grey coming back.

Attached: 85cac8e11b7c8450-600x338[1].jpg (600x338, 109.76K)

You're Max Landis aren't you, OP.

People who were already longtime comic fans during the 90s did not believe Superman would stay dead. People who didn't buy a comic book or rarely ever bought a comic were the ones who thought Superman would stay dead.

Harlan Ellison talked about how bullshit the Death of Superman was because a bunch of Silver Age comics had Superman die in this very issue only for some bullshit to undo it. It was a gimmick.

youtu.be/SgAXCT99m0M

What killed American comics was the crash. Up to half the shops closed, Indies were decimated, so many others went under, Marvel almost went bankrupt. Comics stopped being an American past time due to this.

Nah it didn't. What ruined it was Joker. Jokers first appearance he was meant to be a one time gimmick and he died. But the editor literally changed the last panel with dialogue/caption about how he as alive.

>And here it is. Possibly THE landmark comics event in the 90's.
The best selling comics of all time happened in the 90s, X-Men #1 and X-Force #1 (first and second place respectively). They are the landmark comics of the 90s by sales.

No, it was the Jason Todd death contest that ruin it.

the only thing I care about this comic is that it gave us this slightly cringe Bruce Timm direct to DVD movie.

Attached: whosthedaddy.png (1280x723, 232.45K)

True

Attached: joker.jpg (528x750, 160.18K)

Except many characters had died and come back before too.
This is just the most well known one.

It's like when Batwoman got news articles about a gay superhero in comics like it was something new.

You're a fucking idiot. Business practices caused the slow death of comics. Story content didn't cause mass readership loss until One More Day for Marvel and the Nu52 for DC, though a lot of people will claim that they didn't because sales briefly increased as a result of them bringing in new readers. But the key term is "briefly", the new readers that replaced the old ones didn't stick around once they realized that what they were getting was trash, and nothing reliable ever truly replaced the long-timers in the long term.

>ignores the comic crash completely
u wot

Read it again, brainlet.
>Business practices caused the slow death of comics.

>slow death
>slow
Write it again, brainlet

Comics continued to hold cultural relevance in the oughts. The drop from millions of sales were never actual readers anyway, the drop came after an inflated spike, that's what speculation was about.

But it did start a gradual trend downward that was compounded upon by distribution, pricing, production, and editorial decisions over time.

Is it your contention the crash happened because audiences, several years after the fact, where mad Superman came back? Is this you parroting Landis? Odd all around. It was Marvel's unfettered and unmanageable expansion more than anything.

>Is this you parroting Landis?

Maybe it IS Landis, he's posted here before.

>comics
>beanie babies
>NFTs
what's next

What happened in that one

I'm really glad someone pointed this out. I fucking hate how the excuses the industry and the suckups for the industry piled up to avoid the elephants in the room. People aren't reading comics because comics went to a new low with OMD and all that shit that gave them only short-term gains, long-term disasters.

You seem to massively be downplaying what the crash did.
>hold cultural relevance in the oughts
And they hold relevance now with the MCU etc. But as comic books being an american pasttime they never recovered from the crash.

U wot? You've massively read into things I never even said.

I was trying to say that the idea that person had that comics died with OMD or the Nu52 are bullshit. They died because of the crash and never returned to pre-crash numbers. People massively downplay the impact the crash had to say that comics died at different points.

Why did it elevate the sales of Superman for 3 years straight after the event to the point he was out selling many of the edgeshit of the time untill all those writers left if it was so bad?

Stop taking the opinions of some douche who doesnt care for comics as gospel.

Attached: 164575331561209737 (3).jpg (486x360, 77.15K)

based retard

Was Captain America's "death" the last comic character death that any amount of major media bothered to cover before they realized that it was just a marketing gimmick? I can't even recall the last major character death in Marvel besides his, or at least anyone gave a shit about.

>that any amount of major media bothered to cover
The last few times comics have been in the media that I've noticed are:
>New 52.
>Them not letting Batwoman be married.
>Cap "Hail Hydra"
>Black Batman for Future State.
>Bisexual Superman.

Sup Max

Attached: 1539022E-9508-4E82-9454-606D8B06E581.jpg (1080x608, 68.6K)

By far the worst Lex Luthor I've seen in any animated adaptation.

I think what OP is wrong about is it actually being the Superman event and not awful writers and editors who tried and capitalize on it's success by poorly copying it or taking it and how it was done at face value. Killing off heroes for shock value or to boost sales and then bringing them back in unsatisfying and increasingly contrived ways.

Ultimate Peter's death/debut of Miles Morales was covered in media in the early 10s

>This made actual news, and when (this isn't a spoiler) Superman came back, it pretty much broke the trust and brand name for Superman for years to come.
I don't think it was even that. It was broken even before he came back. The speculator market for the death issue itself showed how dead the industry was. The majority of people didn't care about Superman. They just cared that it was a big event and the death of a hero that could translate to money if they sold the issue later.
Too many idiots heard about golden age comics selling well, but without the knowledge that they were worth so much because most golden age comics were trashed or recycled for paper resources. They were rare. A mass produced comic that was sold as a collector's item that everyone puts away to sell later? That's not going to be worth that much even years later. You're not going to retire selling it in 20 years.
>Watchmen is what merced superhero comics because they all got the message that it was time to "grow-up" but took that to mean be extremely edgy, a political soap box and/or exclusively for manchildren
This was also a plague on comics in the 90s. Even worse it actually did get a generation of the few kids reading comics to think these were actually mature comics. You'd later see this same mindset when these kids grew up with the New52 being mostly a throwback to bad 90s comics those kids loved.

Attached: death of superman bagged.jpg (209x300, 7.88K)

Was that the Doomsday one? The first of that new wave of direct to DVD DC animated films?
Or was it the newer Death of Superman one?
I never saw that one. I gave up on animated DC before that. remember Doomsday being bland as fuck.

Ah. It is Superman Doomsday.
I need to check out the new Death and Return of Superman movies. I hear they are much better. They also have Superboy and Steel with the whole return story in the second part.

You forgot Funko Pop!s in between beanies and NFTs. Though now Funko is getting in on the next wave of scams too.

Attached: bob ross funko nfts 1639509183737.jpg (1638x2048, 483.92K)

Max Landis. Proof that just because you can make a fun snarky joke video critiquing DC Comics, that doesn't mean you should actually write a DC comic.
See also that time Linkara wrote that horrible Martian Manhunter mini series.

Attached: linkara x60xuo.png (573x331, 244K)

It wasn't Watchmen by itself. There was like a lot of comics that fed into it at the time. DKR, Vigilante, Punisher, Moore's other comics like Miracleman, there was a lot.

Watchmen's bad effect was really more noticable in 00s and 10s comics because that was when you had writers who grew up reading Watchmen and other Moore comics and thinking they were going to be like Moore and then proceeding to do these stories with asshole superheroes and depressed superheroes with victorious villains

90s comics were really people who wanted to be like Miller, sometimes Moore, but mostly Miller.

>Is this the comic that killed American Comics
The CCA killed comics by making them all pussy shit and leading to the glut of superhero stuff.

Attached: 5-1.jpg (986x1174, 354.06K)

tf are you on about, the death AND RETURN of superman was a badass arc. I loved when the new comic would come every week as a kid.

"Who's your daddy?"

You realize underground and indie comics in the 70s, 80s, and beyond carried the torch of all those pre-code comics; right?

Attached: Jesus Meets The Armed Services 01 1972.jpg (1052x1490, 683.54K)

Though, yeah. I guess in terms of mainstream comics most consumers bought, it was pretty homogenized and pussified.

Attached: Fear And Laughter 1977.jpg (1055x1500, 550.28K)

The lizard bitch is pretty fuckable

You fucking animals!

Attached: hunter s thompson yellow lantern cosplay 1355902734385c.jpg (335x475, 55.65K)

>See also that time Linkara wrote that horrible Martian Manhunter mini series.

Wait what

Character deaths WERE respected back when it came out. Superman's comeback was pretty much telegraphed though.

The main character dying and literally being gone for months and months of stories is still a big deal, even if everyone knows he is coming back

Attached: cbf5355e7b674473d550953b9696dd49.png (800x800, 741K)

Linkara wrote a what now?

No, the movies hold relevance now. The last time anybody cared for the source material was a decade ago unless you count the shallow pageantry of people pretending to be upset that Kamala's powers are different, and you can prove it's shallow because none of the complainers realize they gave her Quasar's kit, which is a better and more Kree-related character..

But user, with Quasar's powers she won't be able to make references to a Simpsons episode that's older than she is, and that's around 80% of her character.

Isn't she still just making a giant fist construct, she can still make reference to the Simpsons episode

Absolute bunk because Jean Grey's death and return had been published some ten years earlier and Superman himself had died in a number of comics years before. Landis, as usual; is a moron.

But American Alien is really good

Jean Grey's return wasn't even the first reversal of a death that was meant to be permanent in X-Men comics alone. It was just the first major resurrection story that 80s kids had personally experienced, and they've gotten away with writing a false narrative of how it had never happened before and shouldn't have been allowed. Funny how they never argue against killing characters in the first place.