>2022
>I am forgotten
>No seriously, even Disney has forgotten I exist
What the fuck went wrong. Why is every Disney project that even tries to aim above an audience of toddlers doomed to fail.

Attached: Raya.png (1600x900, 1.53M)

Other urls found in this thread:

merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/when-to-use-then-and-than
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Why is every Disney project that even tries to aim above an audience of toddlers doomed to fail.
Because it still had a story aimed at toddlers. At least if it was a musical people could still be singing along to those instead of focusing on what an awful moral the movie is trying to teach or how the entire cast of secondary characters may as well not even exist.

It was Disney's worst movie in a long time. I don't know why they thought to not include any songs. Its plot was also pretty cliche and boring. The only thing I liked about it was the setting and some of the visuals, but other then that it was barely passable.

>but other then that
merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/when-to-use-then-and-than

Attached: 1614375259431.png (1500x1500, 1.74M)

True to all of this

Maybe it was just bad.
If it wouldn't have pandered to furries, no one would have talked about it here on Yea Forums neither.

because the movie was fucking shit and had a retarded message?

>At least if it was a musical people could still be singing along to those instead of focusing on what an awful moral the movie is trying to teach or how the entire cast of secondary characters may as well not even exist.
I think in concept they wanted to make the movie a call back to Atlantis, with a strong princess wielding a sword, no songs, and depictions of death and struggle, but at some point they must've bailed on it and said "No wait, put some funny kid characters in there! Turn her sword into a rope or something!" and then they got caught in the middle and forgot to develop the moral. This movie should've been the best Disney movie for decades, but they dropped the ball hard.

The most entertaining thing to come out of this movie was everyone spazzing out about Lindsay Ellis.

The process of this one obviously fell apart hard.
This looks like they actually changed it ten times along the way with all the shit that goes nowhere, botched arcs and failing ideas.
This wanted to be dark and cool, but wasn't allowed to be that at any point.
Which is why it's full of mascots and wacky kids.
The ideas behind this absolutely did not come together.
The central rivalry makes no sense at all, the conflict between the nations barely passes even the most cursory of sniffing tests and falls apart completely when the viewer remembers that putting the fucking stone back together would solve the common problem.

Maybe this was doomed from the start and they tried a dozen things before giving up because the script just would not come together. But my guess is they had a tight-ass script to start from and then someone fucked it all up by forcing shit in there for toy sales. At which point having no songs and a dark fantasy story worked against them.

Moana had a similar problem, I feel. But it never had that many balls in the air so it came together halfway decent.

Encanto on the other hand worked extremely well on the script level with transporting a ton of information in song. To the point where it could have done with a few more minutes just to let things breathe a bit.
But they got left mostly alone by Disney toy sales, it seems.
They already had highly marketable characters, even if there was clearly some misunderstanding about who was gonna appeal.

>dark fantasy
>Raya

>Is set in a fantasy world that is slowly being consumed by a ever present darkness that kills people just by touching them
>All throughout the world is shown evidence of the people who were killed, turned to statues, and the how the survivors cope with the people they lost
The film does a fucking shit job of handling the tone of it, but for a Disney film the setting is pretty dark.

I mean that one kinda flopped

>Why is every Disney project that even tries to aim above an audience of toddlers doomed to fail.
Netflix MCU shows?

Exactly.
The way it begins it's almost post-apoc as Raya travels the desert.
But then the entire thing seems unable to decide what it wants to be.

There is nothing good about this shit movie. Seriously, the moral of the whole story is Trust Your Enemies Who You KNOW Will Betray You. No wonder Disney is right now going through the whole sex child grooming scandal. May Disney die. These are the immoral criminals working at Disney now, they make Walt Disney's cutthroat businessman angle more admirable.

THERE IS NOT ENOUGH RAYA X SISU ART

The movie may be forgotten, but the noodle is not.

Attached: 1620549848185.png (680x568, 484.1K)

This is anecdotal, but the store I work at sells a shitload of Raya merchandise. Like, a little more than Encanto even

Good because Encanto actually is shit

>ywn bed Sisu

Attached: Sisubed.png (943x606, 620.25K)

I'll never forget Raiden from Mortal Kombat no matter how they redesign him.

It's the hat, isn't it?
Sisu is a very marketable character, unlike Mirabel or any members from her family.

I guess I could see Raya having some merch appeal thanks to Sisu, now that I think about it Encanto didn't have any reglamentary cute marketable creature (except maybe the black kid's pets which were featured less than that pig from Moana) so it would have to coast completely by the human designs
Even Soul, Luca, Turning Red still had cute monsters/creatures

Be the change you want to see. Make the Dom!SisuxSub!Raya you desire.

Sisu definitely moves the bulk of it, but we sell some Raya dolls and outfits too. Little girls wanna be the dragon's bff.

If we break it down by character, I'd probably say it gies Sisu, then Mirabel, then Raya, then the rest of the encanto cast.

If you turned all four books of Avatar the Air Bender into a single 2-hour long move, even cutting all the filler content that went nowhere and did nothing; You'd get Raya.

It should've been an animated tv show at least two seasons long.

Congratulations, you're now racist

When can I expect my white robe and whip?

Parents and grandparents will still buy tons of dolls for their kids. For example, even though there were some sidekick characters in Frozen, the bulk of the merchandise was stuff just featuring Elsa or Anna. You could have dolls of the various Encanto characters like Doloroes or Isabela.

I liked some of the ATLA characters and I wanted to see them succeed. I wanted to see how the story played out. I didn't give a shit about the Raya characters.

Why watch Disney trying to appeal to (insert culture of your choice here) when you could instead watch said culture making their own movie? It might not be good but it sure is really entertaining to watch a foreign country making a cartoon from their cultures. Especially if it makes no fucking sense

Attached: 22A3D324-4D9E-4714-B7E0-BE776770588A.jpg (1429x2000, 1.86M)

Commas are your friends.

she was so fucking stupid

Is this TLOU2 tier writing? The reality is that southeast asians will choose to execute that bitch rather than forgive and even trust her.

Attached: flatten.jpg (1200x630, 55.7K)

>TLOU2
What did he mean by this?

Thing is, it kind of make sense if you know something of what they are making a movie of.
Not a lot of sense, but some of sense.

>presentation of the culture is butchered
>story is garbage
>moral is bogus

Enchanto was infinitely better. Disney needs to get their heads out of their asses and accept that they don't actually understand their audience anymore. They don't make good stories, they buy them from more talented people and wring them out for every dollar.

But ATLA has 3 books user....

It destroyed Lindsay Ellis' entire carrier, and that's pretty much its whole legacy.

Things Disney doesn't know how to do
>Go off-formula
>Tackle complex themes and mature topics
>Tell a good original story
>Write literally any other villain than the same exact one they've been using over and over again since the 30s

>Portray other cultures accurately instead of just using them as a backdrop

Perhaps the same could be said of all western mainstream animation

Attached: DrĂ¡cula-retrato-SoTN.jpg (1074x1385, 368.8K)

Interesting question but what does that have to do with this film?

Another failure for trying to aim above a toddler audience.

>What did he mean by this?
The Last of Us 2, a video game which one more awards than any other due to its seamless integration of tight 3rd person stealth action gameplay and compelling, progressive narrative.

Attached: the-last-of-us-2-steak-sandwich-7.jpg (1920x1080, 268.32K)

Yes, it's forgotten. And I'm sorry I was too late for last Sisunday. Saw it on the very edge of page 10 and already archived when I hit "post".

Attached: 1611829565360.png (1112x703, 153.46K)

>trash movie gets forgotten
stop the presses

But it didn't...

Attached: 1616625575136.png (500x598, 417.28K)

The whole thing basically died in the theater crash of pandemic and its only promotion seemed to revolve around it being a half assed apology to Kelly Marie Tran. Other than that I only remember it for getting Lindsay Ellis chased off twitter again.

awful design, the concept was much better.

Post it. I want to see how much sexier Sisu was supposed to be.

Maybe they should make better movies

This was not the kind of story you can tell in 90 minutes. It was clearly written for a tv show.

It tried to be Atlantis so hard it even bombed, just like Atlantis.

Strong masculine girl boss snd enemy who looks like she loves clam down to the Hollywood slave side cut.

It bombed hard because girls don't like that, adults have never liked it oys are suck of it.

Holy shit-taste Batman!

It doesn't help that Light Chaser movies are mostly complete non-sense. Nezha was somewhat normal but the White Snake movies are complete acid trips.

At least Atlantis is fondly remembered and holds up

A few years and you gonna have video essays about how Raya was Disney forgotten classic.

>Disney forgotten classic.

No. Atlantis had the benefit of playing itself straight the whole time. Raya trips right out of the gate with the "I know what you're thinking..." voiceover.

How was Lindsay Ellis deemed racist for pointing out that there is, in fact, a subgenre of fantasy that's just generic Asian-inspired YA shit written by white dudes?

Because Twitter is extremely superficial

>What the fuck went wrong.
IT WAS BORING
BORING AND GENERIC
AND THE DRAGON WAS NOT SEXY ENOUGH

IT'S NOT ROCKET SCIENCE FUCK

That's what you get for giving someone control of a project on the merrit that they have chinky eyes and a vagina.