Is it stupid to keep track of what you've read?

is it stupid to keep track of what you've read?

Attached: goodreads-logo-square.jpg (400x400, 26K)

I just make a list of my accomplishments in a year. Books eventually are listed.

Not at all. I just keep track in a word document, though. I don't see why reading has to be some big social performance. Word is nice because you can write whatever notes you want as well—handy if you're keeping track of specific translations for example.

same here, I write down all my books, but im not gonna show or share it with anyone

It depends on how much you read. I'll occasionally have to use Goodreads to remind myself what a book was called so I can find it in my Kindle.

Don't worry on what other people might find stupid or not, just do what you enjoy. Try it out, and if you like it, then keep doing it!

I don't care what other thinks I just think the cataloging aspect might be hampering my experience of reading and reading spontaneously.

I dont friend IRL people, but ive found good shit browsing other lit peoples profiles

That probably differs per person. Just try it, and if you feel like it's interfering with your natural reading then you know it's not for you and you stop.

I like it. Gives a sense of achievement and sometimes I forget what books I've already read. More a non-fiction problem but it happens.

I do it with a txt file

I have an Excel spreadsheet with dates started, finished, ratings, genres, and notes.

This. I keep a books.md file on my phone and update it with what I'm reading, have read, and want to read. That way when randos recommend books I can write them down on the spot.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-04-25-17-55-32.png (1080x1920, 248K)

Depends the reason. If you just want to show how big your dick is through your ability to stare at words for long periods of time, then yes. If we're talking specifically about goodreads, I will never keep up with my sister's pace of reading books. But she reads YA fantasy/sci-fi romance novels.

But I like goodreads because I can read a book about dishwasher maintenance, see who else read it, and discover a community centered around this stupid topic that can recommend me more books about it.

And also later if your friend asks if you know any good books on the subject, you can always go back and look at the title of your beloved manual in case you forgot.

Seeing a book cover mosaic sorted by original publication date of everything I can ever remember reading in my life, including Dr. Seuss books, gives me a massive boner.

Also an underrated feature is using the "favorite quotes" list to keep a list of my favorite (short) poems so I can read them any time without having to search the original collection for it.

>social performance
>attaching your name/handle to your account or otherwise attaching social weight to an anonymous tool

This

Attached: D815C5A7-B980-491C-B283-F51D8AC426A0.jpg (1125x1652, 454K)

i use it to keep track of what i've read and want to read. i don't care about what other people do and all the social features

>The Mabinogion
Based.
Get the edition illustrated by Alan Lee if you read physical copies.

>is it stupid to approach every man on the street and inquire the size of his penis?

well it's much more robust to keep track using a service such as goodreads than a static word document, for me the most important feature is tag-based recommendations

no i do the same with movies.
i like to keep track of what i've seen and it's useful whenever i get asked for recommendations.
but with books i'd imagine you'd have a physical collection so it defeats the purpose a bit.

Same here

A lot of people on goodreads seem to do that, though—so much so that the platform has more to do with social interaction, listmaking, self-indulgent blog posts, etc. than the actual act of reading books
>Not already knowing every single book you plan on reading for the rest of your adult life

even posts on Yea Forums can be a social performance, literally anything done in a public place can be for attention because even if other people don't connect their response to your identity you will do so yourself subconsciously
Hence why I am proud when I make a post that gets a high (You) count