Did Filoni ruin yet another beloved villain of Star Wars?

Did Filoni ruin yet another beloved villain of Star Wars?

Attached: star wars rebels season 3_2.jpg (992x477, 56.07K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/bX5N1r_dn_s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

No, Thrawne is pretty much the same as he'd always been.

He gets defeated by Space Whales. From all the talks I hear, people are either outraged by it, or say that it's the only way for Thrawn to defeated because Force n' shit

>Did Filoni ruin
The answer is always yes.

He got what he deserved for skipping the filler episodes.

Thrawn's primary weakness is things that he couldn't predict.
That's literally EVERYONE'S weakness.

The problem is that thrawn literally doesn't win a SINGLE battle in that stupid show. He just spends the entire series going "Ah yes, this was all according to my plan. We are going to find the rebel base" then some stupid asspull happens and he loses

The entire point of thrawn is that he's dangerous because he WINS, as opposed to literally every single other imperial. If he's not winning, then how is he threatening?

Star wars batwank

I wouldn't say they ruined him but he didn't belong as a villian in a kids show. But knowing Thrawn the space whales was all according to plan.

Fuck no. Thrawn was the only character I liked in that shit show. Not his fault that the faggy teenage main characters with plot armor beat him.
I just enjoyed whenever he was on screen. Hope to see him again and he is given room to actually win.

It’s almost like trying to force him into a Y-7 show for babies wasn’t a good idea. That whole show was just an excuse to do follow ups on Clone Wars plots that hadn’t been finished, and they couldn’t even commit to their own premise of making it about a small rebel cell on the periphery of the war. Literally every significant OT character aside from Luke, Han, and Chewie shows up. The plot is so tethered to the main cast they had to rope the entire goings on of the rise of the rebellion era to the feet of Space Aladdin and ‘My Mandalorian OC, do not steal’ where no one is allowed to die and actually interesting aspects of war are pushed to the periphery for being too grown up.

>The problem is that thrawn literally doesn't win a SINGLE battle in that stupid show.
Blatantly incorrect. He won the Battle of Atollon and the Battle over Lothal.

And yes, his goal in Season 3 was to find the Rebel Base and goad them into gathering all of their forces in one place so he could swoop in and destroy them all at once.

>That whole show was just an excuse to do follow ups on Clone Wars plots that hadn’t been finished,
Incorrect.

>and they couldn’t even commit to their own premise of making it about a small rebel cell on the periphery of the war.
That was never the premise. The premise was to follow a small Rebel cell as the Rebellion is forming. It never meant they wouldn't ever see or be involved in the Rebellion once it was more put together

>Literally every significant OT character aside from Luke, Han, and Chewie shows up.
The only egregious one was Lando and even then that wasn't really that bad. The rest made sense to show up at some point.

As a Thrawn fan, that was just early cope from us that was abandoned after we accepted Rebels Thrawn isn't even the same as Zahn's Canon version which differs a bit from Legends ( mostly because either Zahn has chosen to alter Thrawn into more of an anti-hero who is only using the Empire to "protect his people and the wider galaxy" from "bigger threat."

I thought Rebels did a good job with Thrawn. He was a good adversary and would have beaten the Rebels if he hadn't had to lobby Palpatine in person to fund his TIE Defender project instead of the Death Star.

Did they make this shitty blue Mary sue canon again? Getting rid of this fucker was the one good thing disney did when it threw away the old canon

>Hope to see him again and he is given room to actually win.
Thrawn would have beaten the Rebels if he'd not had to go do Coruscant to meet with Palpatine about funding the TIE Defender project. Leaving Governor Pryce in charge is what let the Ghost crew not only survive but win (granted the purgill get some credit too, but Thrawn never would have allowed the Rebels to take over the Imperial Dome much less launch/destroy it).

Attached: Governor Pryce Rebels 02.jpg (267x371, 66.38K)

>The only egregious one was Lando and even then that wasn't really that bad. The rest made sense to show up at some point.
I thought Lando's first appearance was kind of forced, but it did set up how he as able to help them escape Lothal at the beginning of Season 2. My personal vote for most forced OT character appearance would be C-3PO and R2-D2 in season 1. Funny that my first time watching I really didn't like Leia's episode, but on a re-watch I really did like it.

>I have already made up my mind on an issue, can someone validate me please?

Filoni's greatest weakness was always writing compelling villains, one thing Clone Wars could never fix about the prequels was fleshing out the Separatists, the one time they did try with Mina Bonteri but she was an outlier who was killed for it which further reinforced the Separatists were just literal saturday morning cartoon villains. Ventress became a more interesting character when she separated from them and became more of an anti-hero. So it's no surprise that the Empire in Rebels sucked ass and lacked much characterization.

The only exception was Maul but I'm hesitant to completely credit it to Filoni considering it was George who pushed for the more memorable aspects of his arc in TCW (taking over the galactic criminal underworld and mandalore, the many deaths). Cad Bane is more like OT Boba Fett in that he looks cool but he isn't really that fleshed out either.

But why did they give pryce such massive breasts though?

Is the fact that I read Thraw Trilogy in the late 2010 for the first time the reason, why I think he's overrated as fuck?

Why would you think that?

The original trilogy isn't very good.

>The entire point of thrawn is that he's dangerous because he WINS, as opposed to literally every single other imperial.

You want to know how I know you've never read the original Thrawn trilogy?

Because I was wondering if it was a case of "you had to be there, to get it". Like, if I read it in the 90s, would it blew my mind away? Because it was honestly kinda crap in the 2010s.

why not?

You either never read the books or didn't watch the show. The people writing the show didn't even bother talking to Zahn about it until several episodes had been released. Thrawn is not like he is in the books at all. The way he "uses" art is disgustingly infantile in the show and not how it is displayed in the books at all. I am 100% sure that whoever made this scene right here never read a single word of a book Thrawn was in. It is SO against his character to lose his cool and choke someone and displaces a complete lack of understanding about anything to do with the character. I would say its brazen incompetence but its clear how lazy they are with all of Star Wars that Im sure they just didnt know any better until AFTER they asked Zhan to come onto the show once fans were like "WTF?!" when he said no one asked him to help write Thrawn.

youtu.be/bX5N1r_dn_s

Thrawn has been trying to protect the galaxy from the bigger threats since the Duology.

I think it depends on how old you were when you read them and how many books you had to compare them to. They are easily some of the best Star Wars novels ever written, but that is not saying all that much. They are good, just not the best things ever written. Now, the idea behind them is fantastic, it just lacks in some of the execution. But Thrawn is a fantastic character and Zahn actually has an understanding of the original cast, which few writers who are handed the keys to Star Wars actually do.

Because different women have different sized breast?

>Thrawn has been trying to protect the galaxy from the bigger threats since the Duology.
Now it's been a while since I read the original books but didn't he kill some folk because he didn't understand their art and culture?

They worked better on Pryce than in they'd designed Tua to be stacked.

>infantile
Welcome to the Star Wars shows.

>didn't he kill some folk because he didn't understand their art and culture?

In the original 5 books (Trilogy and then Duology)? Not that I recall, and I re-read them last year. He did accidentally miss-read/miss-understand a situation in the new books and basically got their planet annihilated (or nearly annihilated, I can recall... but it doesn't matter).

That would actually be really neat if he found a society he couldn't understand and wiped them out because he feared them.

>They are easily some of the best Star Wars novels ever written, but that is not saying all that much.
This. SW novels are all plot, there's almost no characterization in any of them. Whatever emotional connection the reader has is almost always made by calling back to moments the reader will recognize from the OT.

LOL. Given how planned out Rebels was, it seems the purgill were introduced so they could play a part in the finale. But part of me wants to think that was also Filoni's way of giving the finger to the fans who complain about "filler" episodes. But even Rebels' filler episodes had something in them that was important later (which would make them not filler I suppose): Zeb and Ezra steal the TIE early in season 1 and it gets used in the finale; Chopper goes off to get a replacement strut and meets/recruits AP-5 who has intel that the Rebels new base location is a trap; etc.

Attached: hera thumbs up.jpg (2400x1350, 340.93K)

He had such a cool voice.

The EU committed far worse crimes than Thrawn. I don't like those books much either or even Thrawn as a character, but they're mostly inoffensive.

Rebels voice acting was great across the board but I agree Thrawn was really good. My biggest surprise was how much I came to like Hera, after seeing the pilot I didn't think she'd be very interesting. Other characters from TCW I knew would be good (Hondo's voice actor should get an award just for his inflections and pauses).

Attached: rebels-vanessa-marshall-hera.jpg (1365x2048, 956.12K)

What bigger threat was Thrwan trying to protectt e galaxy from The Vong?

*protect the galaxy*

Yeah, that's the bullshit retcon they tried to push later. That half or more reason Palpatine and later Thrawn did what they did, was because they were preapering the galaxy for the invasion. So they wanted to militarize it. Bullshit.

why?
what happened?
if you are talking about Rebels
that shit is at least 7 years old

Pryce was the best thing to come out of Rebels.

Might have to track down this comic if the cover is accurate for her character design. Booba indeed. LOL Btw for all the hoopla the ST made/got about strong female characters, it's interesting to note that Rebels also did that (to much less fanfare) but that specifically the female Imperials were largely ineffective: Minister Tua (who to be fair was in way over her head once things on Lothal turned martial); Governor Pryce who was much more ambitious than she was capable; and the captain who got owned by Hera when the Ghost escaped Geonosis.

Attached: Pryce booba.jpg (749x1133, 201.24K)

With her and Leonia Tavira the Imperials really are winning on the hot front.

Attached: 1638428190490.jpg (1646x1834, 678.23K)

Thrawn wanted to keep his people safe from the Vong, but Palpatine was just the latest guy to inherit the Sith's master plan of 'corrupt the Republic from within and turn it into a despotic empire meant to serve you and you alone, because fuck the Jedi.' and was planning on doing that before Thrawn ever warned him about anything.

Oldfag here, you might be right. Because I was a kid in 1993 when I first read it. I started with Last Command, which I randomly saw at the library on a "new arrivals" endcap, and went back and read the rest of the trilogy from there. (Needless to say I had no idea what was going on at first).
It blew my mind at the time, but these were also basically the first SW books most people read, and the only ones before that were a few really old novels from the 80s whose canonicity was questionable even back then.

True but also SW was pretty unsullied when the Thrawn books first came out - before the PT and all the other various missteps the franchise made then and after. So fans were much more forgiving for things the books maybe didn't do so well (like characterization, it always makes me both laugh and cringe that Mara's characterization is basically limited to how often she snarls at Luke - yep she's just a stock fiery redhead in the books). But if you pick up the books now hoping for some SW to get the bad taste of [insert your own failed SW property name here] then it's going to get a much different reception given the Thrawn trilogy's own flaws. Pic: not part of the trilogy but an ok read imo.

Attached: ChoicesOfOne-PreliminaryFrontCover.jpg (1879x2850, 703.06K)

bump

esb is the best movie because it has all the most iconic songs in the franchise in one runtime.
imperial march, battle of hoth, yoda's force theme, asteroid field, carbon freezing han, luke vs vader

Revenge of the Sith is the best for Battle of the Heroes. Enough said.

Attached: Accurate Lightspeed Space ram.webm (710x400, 2.96M)

Just wait until OP sees what they're doing with Thrawn in The Ahsoka Tano Show

What are they doing with Thrawn in the Ahsoka Tano Show, user

>specifically the female Imperials were largely ineffective
But were they especially ineffective compared to their male counterparts?

more like "did Rebels fuck up characters that are more popular simply to lift up the shitty main characters in Rebels?"

As of right now? Just having him in the show. That alone will be enough to blister OP's buttocks.

Attached: LEAVE THRAWN ALONE.jpg (1200x630, 47.32K)

Well did it do that?

You seem to be the one who has a blister in his buttocks though from what it seems

Yes. Kallus was very capable compared to Tua, Thrawn of course is much better at both strategy and tactics than Pryce, and the random Imperial captain is at least as good as Brom Titus (who I was sad to see finally die in season 3 since that meant to more of his asshattery to be had).

Attached: Sabine face palms Ezra waves.jpg (1280x720, 66.47K)

Mary Elizabeth McGlynn character. She voices a lot of big titty bitches.

By the end of the series the whole Ghost crew had gotten character development (even Chopper ffs - pic). Zeb got the least but as the resident muscle I suppose that's to be expected. Took Sabine all the way until late season 3 to get hers but the Darksaber arc. Ezra, Kanan, and Hera got character moments from the very beginning and no surprise they were the best developed characters on the show that hadn't already had a lot of screen time in SW movies or other shows.

Attached: Rebels-Hera-Chopper-6356547.jpg (565x328, 23.67K)

when will we find out who was on the ghost during the battle of exegol

Attached: chopper.png (577x246, 212.41K)