Is the Norton Shakespeare worth it?

Is the Norton Shakespeare worth it?

Attached: md30089064464.jpg (300x200, 9K)

Dude just get a cheap version from your used bookstore. There's so much free and readily accessible secondary research on Shakespeare that you can compensate for whatever scholarly criticism the Norton version comes with. Or just use some of the money you save and buy a JSTOR account or something.

Complete editions are memes and not worth and you are unlikely to read the whole thing usually have toilet paper tier paper, completely unruly to read properly too. Just buy individual plays if you must go physical

that's up to you

I really appreciate it, but I was lucky enough to find it new for $3.

I like my complete Plato a lot.

After accidentally purchasing a used copy of Candide where somebody underlined every other sentence and wrote 'heh' next to it I can no longer stomach used books.

Why not get the complete Knickerbocker set of miniature Shakespeare plays in 24 leather-bound volumes?

Attached: 1_f1025d1adac3f90ea09123c34d064099.jpg (1600x805, 531K)

A better and more affordable set is the Yale Shakespeare. Little blue pocket sized books, it doesn't cost as much and comes with annotations on the page for obscure words, and detailed annotations in the back. It's his complete works, and it's pocket sized.

Attached: 711qQQPsOIL.jpg (1527x486, 164K)

Does it come with any extras?

Attached: DmjXLeTU4AE4TRi.jpg (1000x750, 111K)

Wow very nice. I may have a new project...

I printed all the plays off from the internet and put them in a 4" ringed binder

Based

The Arden Shakespeare is superior.

Not an annotated version?

Attached: 20140801_193125.jpg (480x640, 70K)

In not so dull as to need annotations

that's pretty fuckin smart
i have a complete scan of the book in op's post, now to find myself a laser printer

What did Virginia Woolf mean by this?

>I read Shakespeare directly after I have finished writing, when my mind is agape and red and hot. Then it is astonishing. I never yet knew how amazing his stretch and speed and word-coining power is, until I felt it utterly outpace and outrace my own, seeming to start equal and then I see him draw ahead and do things I could not in my wildest tumult and utmost press of mind imagine. [T]he words drop so fast one can’t pick them up.... Why then should anyone else attempt to write. This is not “writing” at all. Indeed, I could say that Shakespeare surpasses literature altogether, if I knew what I meant.

Attached: 1556221027255.jpg (1408x1312, 458K)

what did he mean by this

Plato is well worth reading all the way through. No one reads Shakespeare all the way through except the most diehard fans, and most of those are shrill middle aged women with degrees in English literature.

>No one reads Shakespeare all the way through

Why?

You have to find a free printer, libraries usually charged $0.10 per page which would make it more expensive than the book itself.
If you work in an office though you could do it play by play to be inconspicuous.

yeah, on second thought it's probably not gonna happen. 3500+ single-sided pages, that's one unwieldy ass binder

You gotta go 2-sided

Because even Harold Bloom admits a dozen of the plays are mediocre and a few complete shit.

Is this an attack? Timon of Athens is good. No. It's more than good!

Gotta read them to find out though

Probably, esp given the "modern versions" of Shakespeare I've seen them putting outwore the characters speak like Manchester teenagers.
My personal fav--just for sentimental reasons-- is the norton Anthology of english Poetry from 1995, don't recall which number it was. Begins with "Sir Gaiwan and the Green Knight" and ends with "The Wasteland."
I too a class that used it as a text at Harvard Summer school when I was 15 and my siblings were up there for the summer before their senior year working o their thesis. the professor (rightly) believed that no 15 year old (or the useless, lazy fucking college students there) had anything if use to say in a paper, so all the exams just consisted of memorizing essentially the entire book, almost all of which I can stilll recite verbatim today.

Is this edition worth?

Attached: 51B8-1D59ZL._SX368_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (370x499, 33K)

>even Harold Bloom
Gee, the Jew who had the chair at Yale doesn't some of Shakespeare's play feels entitled to criticize him. I knew bloom fairly well and he was always a piece of trash.

Just get the Norton user. Unless it's a REAL genuine collector's item that you got from a grandparent and want to pass down....and you shouldn't use that for lasses anyway since by th end your entire book should be fucking marked up.

as a book to read, no

as a fetishistic prop to be left in plain sight, yes

It's 50 dollardoos though :(

bloom's anti-semitic acquaintance posts on Yea Forums's literature board

what a world

>bloom's anti-semitic acquaintance
he was more "an enemy" than an acquaintance in that Dept and tried to keep me from graduating summa cum laude. He's trash who thinks he's a lot more important than he is, like most Professors of English...

>Pleb
Reading Shakespeare.

>Patrician
Watching Shakespeare's plays.

The only people who read Shakespeare are tryhards. They're meant to be acted on stage, not read in a book. Do you read scripts instead of watching films too?

you can watch the plays in the stage of your mind

Very cool.

harold was wrong about that, wasn't he

shakespeare watched them in his mind while he wrote them, why can't I?