Why did this show take itself so seriously and dramatic?

Why did this show take itself so seriously and dramatic?

Attached: EdAzLhQXkAEmGj6.png (1280x720, 999.29K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SeleAooPiZI
tailsgetstrolled.org/ch1/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Not everything needs to be a comedy. There is a certain appeal to melodrama done by caricatures

They're toony robotic fucking monkeys. It's Ken Penders Sonic tier

It's a show about robotic monkeys fighting a skeletor rip off. Any attempt at serious drama is immediately dissolved by the zaniness and wackiness of the setting.

that's why SRMTHFG was so good though
It's a stupid concept that takes itself as seriously as possible. It's a great hook.
Judging by the Disney+ in the OP image, I imagine you kids didn't grew up with it, otherwise you'd understand the appeal.

Oh, I'm sorry Lord High Commander of All Storytelling, I didn't recognize you behind your seventeen firewalls.

>If I say something as passive aggressive as possible, I don't have to make an argument

there is literally no reason robot monkeys can't be serious, stop being so autistic

Because of the three foot tall technicolor robot critters who embody everything people thought was cool in the 90s, living in a world of colorful cities and weird retards, and fighting a comically evil skeleton with armies of weird demons. The entire premise is inherently ridiculous. Any attempts at serious drama are sabotaged by the characters' goofy appearances and the surrealism of the setting. It's like doing a story arc about miscarriage in a webcomic about two dudes on a couch playing video games.

Because they gave a damn.

I bet you take TMNT seriously though and (rightfully) complain about Rise

Why is OP so clinically autistic?

Based

>Why did this show take itself so seriously and dramatic?

Attached: 1637908746062.png (300x225, 95.3K)

Yes because they're far more human looking and easier to project onto. You pretending not to know the difference is obvious pretense.

You will NEVER be a woman.

Coping lol

>dude mutant turtles who are ninjas and fight a man who wears a samurai helmet in the modern day and have an vigilante ally who uses sports gear as weapons and go to space to fight triceratops aliens is super cereal!
>but robot monkeys, nah that's just too silly

It would have aired for very late Millennials and very early zoomers

Do you take Sonic seriously?

SEGA sure doesn't
youtube.com/watch?v=SeleAooPiZI

>He's now dodging

I just realized this is the original “LOOK WE’VE SEEN ANIME” show

I'm not a Sonicfag. If I was a fan, probably? I don't see what your fucking point is. As long as something works tonally I don't care if it's silly. I haven't even watched this monkey show. It's just ridiculous about your hypocrisy and your retarded excuse for it "the turtles aren't four-foot tall so it works lmao"

The turtles are the cutesy Tezuka style hybrid monsters. They don't have any rough or human like qualities. They need those for a serious story.

You're either an 80s cartoonfag or a Nickelodeon-era Turtlesfag if you can unironically say that about the turtles, holy shit

No arguments again

The monkeys are cutesy style Tezuka hybrids with no rough or human like qualities that the turtles have. You need those for a serious story.

I already dismantled his stupid one.
>durr silly premise not silly if animal men are six foot tall!

>no human like qualities
You mean asides from the anthropomorphism and the talking?

Function must follow form. Sonic can't be taken seriously because he's a talking blue hedgehog that eats chilli. He's way too stylized and cutesy.I don't know why that same logic can't be applied to this show.

>but colour-coded ninja turtle teenagers that eat pizza is... le serious!

You're literally just missing the point
Yes, the characters are silly colorful cartoons. It taking itself so seriously is a mismatch. But that's the entire appeal, it's novel, kind of funny at face value, but it's entertaining to see them pull off serious story beats despite the silliness. It's intrinsically a challenge to write and to watch and you root for the writers to pull it off. Same way some dumb shitpoat comics can somehow escalate into having real melodrama, there's a bizarre pull to that because it's unconventional.

This is the thing dude you're literally batching about this show for being unconventional.

Superman wears underwear over a bodysuit and DCfags still exist

It being novel doesn't stop it from being a mismatch

It's a complete mismatch of concepts. Just because we "understand" the concepts, that does not mean they are meant to be together. It's just a bunch of bullshit the creators made up and tried justifying with "technomagical" BS

Do you remember the names of the locations, the explanations for their origins, even the characters' names? How about the way the series' plot advances?

The series was similar to a little boy's fanfiction. He started writing, making certain level of sense about his setting, so it was kindy likeable, but then he didn't know how to continue. So he just started to use whatever funny trope he could find in order to continue it.

Maybe if the series was meant to be a parody about its "genre", yeah, it can totally work, but NO, it actually tries to take itself seriously, which is exactly the problem, you can't take this show seriously with a setting like the one it had.

People shouldn't take that seriously either. Even Alan Moore gets this.

tailsgetstrolled.org/ch1/

Why does any fantasy show takes itself seriously?
Actually why does any form of media take itself seriously

Some things can, some things can't. This show can't.

Something can be inherently whimsical and not serious without being self-deprecating or ironic. Some media is emotionally and thematically genuine (and better for it), but that doesn't make it "serious." It knows it's absurd and owns it instead of getting self-serious in a hollow attempt to look more mature and profound (This show) or playing off the absurdity to shelter itself from criticism (Marvel Movies).
You people keep getting hung up on how serious is used as a synonym for sincerity in a non-media context. In media it means something different: that the work is meant to be considered deeply, and occasionally that its presentation is grave. Which is what this show does. It's pretentious and hollow. It's trying to give the illusion its something more mature than what it is.

Bump

Semantics

Terrible comparison on two totally different levels of relatability or cartoonism and misses several other points all together.

TMNT's turtles are far more humanized and rougher and thus allowed to be taken seriously.

Bump

>r to project onto
Holy shit your retarded stories don't need you projecting shit

>Missing the point

>*blocks your path*

Attached: davesim-feat.jpg (1080x720, 318.58K)

How come there's this double standard with Sonic but not this show.

Bump

To be completely fair, Cerebus is a very different comic from Sonic and it certainly wasn't meant for children
>the rape and trial of Astoria from Church & State at the hands of Cerebus himself
but my main point was regarding the usage of a cartoon character for these heavy elements of melodrama. You could actually argue Cerebus was a bit more ridiculous as an idea because everyone else was regular humans except for Cerebus himself and Suentus Po, though to be fair he was a lot more "human" looking than Cerebus. It literally started as a comic parody of Conan for God's sake - you know how Sonic got more serious in tone from its first "silly" comics? Cerebus did it in fucking spades.
Same thing with TMNT (even though like stated the original Mirage comics are a lot more realistically proportioned and are rough in tone).
I really couldn't tell you why there's a double standard though. Something something Sonicfags can't think for themselves blah blah blah buzzword buzzword buzzword. I don't know. It's all so tiresome. Also with Cerebus I can see a lot of Sonicfags not wanting to touch it with a ten foot pole because of Dave Sim not being able to keep his mouth shut

Attached: 1466699419074.jpg (531x480, 36.46K)

>No response to this

And in there it's bad too. It's never done in any way that's good.

Serious Sonic is just immature.
Now you ask yourself
>how can be immature if it has mature settings and consequences and characters?
It's because you have already simplistic characters, story, and setting and purposely making it dark for the sake of maturity. That in its self is actually immature because of a want to be mature.
It's like when kids think that saying fuck a lot makes them sound darker and cooler because it's a bad word and only adults can say it.

Adding edgey plots and characters to an already established happy fun setting and changing characters to fit that edgy tone for the sake of maturity, is just an immature phase of people's lives not accepting that what you liked before was childish and fun.

The true mature thing to do is to accept things for what they are through personal growth.
Being edgy and dark is an immature phase we all go through because we want to be taken seriously for the age we represent. But through the actions of those who are going through the edgy phase comes off as immature and a lack of understanding of the world around them.
It's experience that later defines maturity and that's the major thing that edgy kids face in said phase face.
After you grow up, your realize how cringey you were in all your attempts to make something you enjoyed edgey because of this obsession of this perceived notion of maturity.

Design also has a lot to do with it as well, you simply can't make a serious story with a 3ft talking anthropomorphic talking monkeys.

juxtafag give it a rest

No it's because these imbeciles cannot write mature themes and depthful characters.
Mr Warburton took an immature one-gag show and turned it into a full blown spy action show with vast world building.
Fillmore! despite being a parody can take itself incredibly seriously.

>But why can't it not be jokey?
Someone might ask. And to that I say, why does everything have to be doom and gloom? There's an old saying, that the jester is the only person that can speak the truth to a king when no one else will

redpill me on juxtafag

How would you do it, then? Not even trying to start an argument, I'm legitimately curious how you would execute this concept.

Attached: 1453950900158.png (1000x995, 782.96K)

You can't. That's the point

bump

You do realize that there's a huge difference in design right?