What went wrong...

What went wrong? Both Yea Forums and Yea Forums ridiculed it incessantly for about five minutes after it dropped and then it was never mentioned again.

Attached: MV5BZjI2OGIwNWMtNDdmZS00NzgyLTkwOTctNGRmNmUyNGY3NjNiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTEyMjM2NDc2._V1_.jpg (1011x1500, 395.29K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/0dpv65FQOQw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

wouldn't know, I was excited for it and kept forgetting it came out

it based on an actual historical African samurai

but the writers added needless fantasy & own fanfiction/historical revision to it which created a bland Castlvania clone

It's a good show and good shows are not controversial. That's why you don't see threads

It flipped between boring and stupid.
Felt like a westerner's idea of what anime is and not an actual anime despite being animated by a Japanese studio (which makes sense, since it was produced by westerners).

It's cool that Yasuke was a real black samurai but he was also just another Nobunaga simp at the end of the day and a simp just can't be as interesting his master

Obnoxious marketing put a lot of weebs off but more importantly it just wasn't very good. New IPs need positive word of mouth to succeed.

And no, it's nothing to do with people disliking Yasuke as a concept. The Nioh version is universally loved.

Attached: Yasuke_Concept_Art_(NO).png (518x744, 1.1M)

Didn't the Lord he serve under do some crazy stuff? Like burn monks or something.

He also attempted to transfer his soul into a GOLDEN EVIL STATUE

What

Nobunaga did lots of stuff, burning down the temple was just one of them, also fuck those monks anyway since they were stockpiling arms and planning to attack him
Lots of Nobunagas villainous portrayal is due to ages old propaganda being taken as historical fact, similar to how Cao Cao was demonized

yeah, the planned live action with chadwick boseman would have done yasuke better, but this anime caused retards to think he was forced rather than an actual historical oddity

Oda Nobunaga himself was basically the George Washington or William the conqueror (most the former) of japan being the winner of the massive all out clan war of the Shingoku period hence the title "the great unifier". However he accomplish through very brutal and harsh laws and taticts and war crimes. His greatest enemy was not the rival clans but rather the Buddhist warrior monks who seemly constantly backing up his rivals in battles and since they're not a nation the monks was able to roam all through his lands. It was at the point that the warrior monks set up a monetary 5 miles away from Oda capital as a big Fuck you. This is where you get the whole burning down the temple full of monks and declaring himself the "demon king" as a way to clap back at the Buddhist warrior monk for constantly demonizing him

Oda and Yasuke was good pals with him actually teaching and constantly talking to him after buying from Christin slavers. He was offer a Katanna and assigned him the duty of weapon bearer. He attended some of the great battles and was present when In June 1582, Nobunaga was attacked and forced to commit seppuku in Honnō-ji in Kyoto by the army of Akechi Mitsuhide. He fought like an "animal" but capture but report tell that they never killed him since he was black rather he was dropped off at a catholic church in Kyoto and we never hear anything else from him since his master died

>it based on an actual historical African samurai
The only thing we even know about the real one is that Nobunaga probably hired him as a joke.

Nobunaga, yes.

Attached: Nobunaga.gif (400x225, 2.61M)

>It was just a part of the outrage cycle
That's basically all American or Americanized media at this point.
The only way American media can get views nowadays is through outrage or by being attached to Disney.
Or both.

It was just a part of the outrage cycle. Also nago is the best yasuke trope.

Attached: guilty-gear-strive-nagoriyuki-eat.gif (498x418, 2.07M)

>Utterly mogs your depiction
Nothing personal nigga
Based Nobunaga reminding monks that demons are real

Attached: obsidian_samurai_boss.jpg (800x450, 67.13K)

This

It committed the one universal sin regardless of which side of the /pol/-tumblr culture war you're on:
It was boring.

You are correct viral marketing is an amazing tool. M&M, Dr.Sesus and Superman make more money and get a ton of free advertisements from news stations and social media.

Yasuke failed because it was a fantasy show with robots and magic. Initially people thought it was a realistic anime about a black guy in Japan.

Why did I read this in Aku's voice?

>Yasuke failed because it was a fantasy show with robots and magic.
Yasuke failed because it was boring and generic.
Like most of what America produces nowadays.

There are some boring shows that get outraged farmed like crazy. Literally after the second trailer the show had borderline zero discussion.

>There are some boring shows that get outraged farmed like crazy.
And they're usually forgotten on release, because they're boring.
Your problem is that you're confusing posts on Yea Forums, a board that gets maybe a few thousand unique visitors a day, with actual outrage.

This man, they added mechas and shit and it still came out boring
>tfw the guy who wrote this is writing the DMC show too

If I remember correctly he kept him, because he said he >It was at the point that the warrior monks set up a monetary 5 miles away from Oda capital as a big Fuck you.
To be fair, that actually is funny.

Attached: w1sw7R2XzfuFw4wRIKCW0FH4EMPr5qQLM5y40VlWEYRgR3JHckfiLRkaMhuVwENOybJiWVcUEZD7U2hxz6xu2VNBhC0i6jvpjhd11SBMW8IB98CTIuSBVmX71IuHZhfEyF2DoKTIAA=s1600~2.jpg (516x558, 132.53K)

It’s only right.

Mr oda nobungaunga was one of the most based men in all of history.
Luv' me guns
Luv' me peasant Spearmen
Luv' me black friend
'ate honor
'ate Buddhist monks(not racist just don't like em)

Attached: d4f0a2a75875115f4c4d32cf417c04af.jpg (1653x2339, 404.99K)

Adi Shankar's DMC show for Netflix wasn't even mentioned once in passing in the Capcom ransomware leaks. Am I right to be a bit cynical about it ever actually coming out?

The new about the Yasuke guy being the writer and the script being finished was the last news released, so at least it felt like it had come out of development hell a bit
I only heard about those documents on passing but I've always felt that save a few exceptions japanese companies don't seem to give much of a fuck about what gaijin does with their properties as long a they get a check, were other stuff like the new Residen Evil movie and TV series mentioned?

>Am I right to be a bit cynical about it ever actually coming out?
Hoping it never comes out is actually the optimistic mindset

>It was at the point that the warrior monks set up a monetary 5 miles away from Oda capital as a big Fuck you.
Why would they even tempt fate like that? That's not balls, that's just fucking hubris. What convinced them that he wouldn't just haul off and kick their shit in? One order versus an assembled military?

Bingo. JUST a reasonable biographical story of yaskuke would have been crazy shit to see.

Of course he's not going to be as interesting as nobunaga.

Crazy is a fucking understatement.
Villan is wrong too, but he absolutely was crazy ambitious as fuck.

There's a little more subtext in that Nobunaga was SUPER huge on Japan modernizing, becoming more euro, and that meant less samurai, more guns, and more christianity, as that's part of the trade package.

Imagine being a 5 foot japanese warrior and seeing this 6 foot dark skin dude

What I was expecting Afro Samurai with light Japanese historical and mythological bullshit. What I watched was cliche animated Lone Wolf and Cub/ Man on Fire this desperate innocent child has rejuvenated my warrior spirit bullshit. With a lite sprinkling of budget bin Ninja Scroll enemies.

It was straight up here's this story of based on an actual Black Samurai and the story is a bunch of stuff you've seen 2 dozens times before in better animes. I watched it begrudgingly hoping it would reach it's stride then realizing I might as well just finish it. And when it was over i forgot about it completely until I saw your post. It's not even bad bad, it's almost nothing.

They simply though Oda didn't have the balls to do it and risk the noble & peasant option banking that if Oda would do something then the loyalty and fielty of Budhism of the people will trump Oda authority

It the equivalent of thinking that if Russia declare war on NATO the USA won't raid the Russian embassy because CNN would paint Biden as a racists

So they basically banked on people siding with their faith over the state. I'm don't know how strong Buddhism's hold on Japan was at the time, but I thought it was always a Japanese cultural thing that they'd obey their "betters" over whatever their own religion dictates.

>Bingo. JUST a reasonable biographical story of yaskuke would have been crazy shit to see.
There's next to nothing known about him besides he existed - next to 0 things of actual substance recorded. You literally couldn't make anything with it, that's why they took the concept and just started throwing shit at the wall.

The design for black people was also terribly off-putting. Like holy shit, the only other black guy looked like a monster.

Just the bare shit they knew. Born in africa, life as a slave to the euros, then ending up in motherfucking Japan, as a court curiousity, then as a samuai.

That's a significant story right there.

>Be a small time noble and pesents who barely interact with the Daimyo court
>all are raised within Buddhist religion
>Buddhist monks constant hype up the rival Daimyo as the holy warrior of Buddha and the local Daimyo is rumor to be a demon in human skin
>Next day hear that said demon Daimyo burn down a monetary for all they know was a peaceful one
>Revolt

that was the though process

"obey their betters" is a chinese Confucius not japanese

The Japanese resentment towards religion was that mainly of Christianity with how difficult it was to remove the "foreigner belif" through out their history. Like they did straight up roman-esq execution and persecution on early Japanese Christians but by this time the Catholics are veterans on these sort of things so they infested the archipelago. Add a historical Christian revolution and later on Christian Americans humiliating Sino pride creates a recipe of Jap seething.

it only resurge after
fat anime Jesús terrorist attack
youtu.be/0dpv65FQOQw

William was the better foreign export samurai

Attached: irish.jpg (1024x576, 84.98K)

"do some crazy stuff" sells nobunaga short.

preasu understandu, the dude spend basically the first 15 years of his adult life killing direct family members in a massive civil war in among his clan.

Can't exactly blame him for coming out of Owari thinking the best way to deal with a problem is to just execute everybody.

Yasuke was never confirmed to survive, and two popular theories came out of it

1. Akechi basically thought him an ape who could speak and handed him back to missionaries
2. He survived on his own and became a monk

By 1586, when the unification wars happened, the imperial system has been collapsing for a good 100 years, a chunk of central Japan basically stopped paying taxes and tried going 100% independent. Iga and the Ikko sects monks were two examples.

With that said it's often forgotten that the Ikko had direct access to the imperial court itself and were pretty big in the trade business. They were a pretty big deal in the daimyo coalition that tried to stop Nobunaga.

Basically they expected the imperial court to have enough of Nobunaga and rally more daimyos to the coalition. They didn't realize Nobugana had already won over the court and it ended up forcing a ceasefire. Oda then proceeded to destroy the other coalition members army by army

Simple as.

Cahm on Nobunguhnunga, score som faking goals

A glorified errand boy with exaggerated folk tales of what he did. It was never going to be good. Only whites and blacks might like it.

>A glorified errand boy with exaggerated folk tales of what he did
So, folk tales in general?

>Lol Niggers We Wuz Kangz
>Fake Anime take it to Yea Forums
That's literally it.
That being said I expected a Last Samurai type Psuedo-Biopic anime about Yaskue leading up to the point where he returned to obscurity, what it turned out to be is straight up Naruto shit. That killed my interest, I haven't even listened to the FlyLo OST and I fucking love that dude.

Half surprised it isn't some Dragon Ball shit. It's like the only anime blacks ever want to watch are complete shonen shit crap.

It’s good
The characters are great
The lead Yasuke is awesome he’s just a regular swordsmen
The soundtrack was fire
The op was incredible
The ending was okay
The pacing was its biggest flaw six episodes just does not make a good story not everyone can pull off flcl and even that’s mostly nostalgia since we were kids
Also most of you couldn’t get passed the magic racists used the magic as a reason to mock the show saying they would have liked it otherwise if it was more grounded
All and all definitely something I want to see be given another chance the potential is there

So why do people like the Nioh version but hate the Netflix version?

Because he was just one boss out of many and his only trait that we really saw was unyielding loyalty to his lord. Also Bear.

>We Wuz Samurai
>Netflix
>wannabe anime

Nioh version has great gear and a fun fight. His character is still one-note but that's fine people don't play Nioh for the characters

What exactly classifies as an anime in your mind

Jokes on you, I'm watching a romance anime about a vampire astronaut.

Not him, but not being produced by Americans is probably a good place to start.
It'd be like calling Animaniacs and anime just because it was animated by a Japanese studio.

Produced in Japan by the Japanese as oppose to elsewhere by the non-Japanese.

Would have been pretty nice if it were simply an actual historic show (or even historic with some magic) without the bizarre sci-fi stuff.

Netflix anime. Netflix is a negative brand image. Netflix anime has a negative brand image. It reminds of Netflix Castlevania. Netflix Castlevania is shit.

So how do you feel about dr stone

Attached: E3BFEC58-CDD4-4BF8-8ED7-F348D13721CF.png (1920x1080, 839.97K)

I never watched this shit but it seems retarded that to name an over-the-top fantasy action show after a historical figure.

I mean it's like making a "BENJAMIN FRANKLIN" show that's actually an intergalactic space opera.