Tfw America has no picturesque towns for one to settle down in and finish their manuscript

>tfw America has no picturesque towns for one to settle down in and finish their manuscript
how can I summon the muse in these conditions?
megacities like NYC also have their problems aesthetically. and they are financially not an option for me.

Attached: bigstock-Strip-Mall-91000364.jpg (900x599, 414K)

Damn you must be really hard to please if you think America is lacking picturesque towns

pretty sure every state has nice rural regions that are largely aesthetic(except for cali and ny maybe). Georgia has some really nice mountainscape and Florida St.Augstine is a really nice old town.

t.live in fl

where are they?
99% of Americans not living in the city are living in dreadful suburbs.
are you talking about towns for the wealthy like Carmel-by-theSea?

Attached: suburban-plaza-for-web-120116-3.jpg (600x404, 323K)

Move to South America and become a teacher. Literally just fabricate your credentials, if you're a well dressed well spoken white guy with a passing knowledge of French lit nobody will question you're 'Harvard Education', and getting a minor teaching post at a small high school will be easy. You will have your pick of loli's and single mamas, and can spend the lazy summer days reading and writing to your hearts content.

1. YOU MEAN «UNITEDSTATES», NOT «AMERICA» —QVOD VIDE: IMAGE ATTACHED TO THIS POST.

2. THERE ARE HUNDREDS OF QUAINT TOWNS IN UNITEDSTATES.

Attached: MRK.png (3000x1000, 344K)

Attached: WelcomeToWalmerica.jpg (1500x843, 230K)

Jesus Christ kek

cities in the new world are largely pure cancer. There are some gems and small areas in the oldest settlements that can be very aesthetic (parts of boston, quebec city, new york, etc).

thankfully there is a lot of country where you find some beautiful spots of isolation.

Rural New England

strawman argument

To what period does your map reference? The geological drift for what is now Mexico certainly does not match the current period. The proportion looks incorrect, also. Perhaps there is some joke that eludes me.

As someone who hates living in california, the state is absolutely beautiful and if you're willing to live in olancha or idyllwild or eureka you can experience natural beauty like few can these days, every day.

the same Rural New England that currently has no functioning economy and is being ravaged by opioids?
I'm talking about places like Wilde's Dublin, Mozart's Vienna...

Write about the lack of picturesque towns in America then.

God, you are so fucking whiny. you'll never write anything worthwhile anyway, you just want to bitch and moan about >tfw no comfy town 2 write in :(

>Wilde's Dublin
Kek. Who's been to Dublin recently (outside the tourist trap)? Dublin is an absolute shithole.

I travel all over the country for work and there are beautiful places everywhere

The rhetorical issue which the OP raises with the juxtaposition of text and image: where beauty is sought, and where beauty is found. In America (I reserve the right to refer to the United States as such), the question is fraught.

It's true that the built environment in America is paved over with architecture like that in the OP. But these main streets, suburbs and quarters are frequently dwarfed by the objective physical geography. To take examples from my own limited travels, the Seattle area has its Rainier, and Chicago has the Lake. So at issue is exactly what the OP expects of "a picturesque town". Should it be "cute"? Totally rural? Nice physical geography? What of the people? There's lots of fat and unpleasant people in rural areas.

If the geography is to be instrumental to the author (whether "authentic" or not), then a certain inauthenticity is implied for the would-be author: "I have to move to [small town X] in order to find myself." Of course, this same inauthenticity applies to countless authors who "got away" for a spell (Thoreau, Kerouac, Tolstoy, the dacha trope generally, or now that I'm in the territory, Dostoevsky finding god on his pre-gulag), and is of a piece with the old trope of treating tuberculosis by getting mountain air.

The OP is merely another bourgeois, wanting to temporarily "get away for the weekend", the better to sing his own praises to the world back in the city, right back in the shit. Where people care.

>PC Massage

Attached: 1552043599352.gif (720x846, 877K)

What. California has Yosemite, which is one of the most beautiful places on earth

>ah to stand atop Half Dome!

Attached: cables-45a.jpg (600x338, 64K)

Well, you could always climb it, which is a lot less crowded. Yeah it has a ridiculous amount of tourism, but that's to be expected. Doesn't diminish its beauty. Most of the tourists congregate in just a few spots anyways

Yes the cables suck, but this picture has to be pre-lottery. Also there's hundreds of hikes that don't have this, and get you equal views.

As the dude said as we sat atop yosemite falls last weekend, this really suggests the simulation hypothesis. This shit just can't exist.

But op could be a van life guy and wilderness camp beyond the trailhead entry points for three months a year.

Inauthentic presuming his subject matter to be some intricate mapping of pastoral geography, human and otherwise, a la Faulkner or Hardy. If his experience is that of displacement in his physical environment then his aesthetic and perhaps moral critique is valid, perhaps even better put into perspective from a place apart and away from his current locus, to a place where to better disentangle the enduring spiritual alienation of his known world from the categories of problems which trouble the human heart across place and time. To say nothing of the bloom which will inevitably fade from the idealised image he holds of Sylvan glades where real men do real labour and draw their very strength from the soil Antaeus-like.--And what's more bourgeois than idealising the pastoral over the city, as you yourself so aptly imply?

Silly you, under the current consumerism everyone recreates their ideal paradise in their own dwelling.

You gotta go to Europe. If it’s england you don’t have to learn a new language, but any of the big European countries have plenty of English speakers

New york has the biggest state park in the country you retarded city bug

*rapes your country to death*
whats the matter bro, you dont like freedom?
thats unamerican™

Attached: suburban sprawl.jpg (1600x1200, 760K)

never been to either of these places so forgive me

>He didnt just move to europe
Yikes

I think you need to show some pictures user. From what I've seen even famous 'historic' districts look oddly fake and soulless and can't compare to even average European towns.

I actually like suburbs, no idea why. There's just something oddly peaceful about them.

This picture makes me want to kill myself. Who the fuck in their right mind would want to live there?

What are you talking about? Savannah Georgia for example looks comfy af.

Attached: Sv1.jpg (810x486, 211K)

>There's just something oddly peaceful about them
maybe its that everybody has commuted an hour to work in downtown and the suburbs are virtually dead

Attached: sv2.jpg (1140x655, 888K)

Attached: sv3.jpg (930x690, 204K)

Savannah is comfy as fuck, best city in Georgia
Pic is Harper's Ferry, WV

Attached: harpers-ferry-wv-e1474051093723.jpg (1200x504, 148K)

Charleston, SC. The people have a great unique accent too

Attached: Charleston-SC-landscape.jpg (2861x2001, 840K)

Throw a dart at a map of Montana.
The US is enormous and most of it is not suburbs or skyscrapers.

>The US is enormous and most of it is not suburbs or skyscrapers.
it is mostly suburbs or skyscrapers though, the big fuss over american cities is that there is no middle density

>Harper's Ferry, WV

>population under 300
>still has niggers

Savannah is one of the prettiest cities I've been to, but it's not a small town by any stretch.

The way American small towns are organized means you're going to have ugly vernacular rough-and-ready storefronts and strip malls as in e.g. your pic related, but generally towns have a separate historic "downtown." The town where I live, downtown is pretty dead, but it's attractive enough and I could live there cheaply if I chose. Are you even American?

The economy is fine, don't expect metropolitan tier economics in a rural setting.
Also your neighborhood is not what's holding you back, it's a red herring.

>best city in georgia
debatable

You will find that middle density in mid-sized cities my boy. Try Des Moines, Louisville, Indianapolis, &c.

It's not a city or a flyover suburb, they're well behaved Appalachians that have been there for centuries. Entirely different culture

Best one I've been to at least.
Asheville, NC

Attached: About-Us-Marquee.jpg (2500x1667, 797K)

Staunton VA

Attached: Downtown_Staunton_by_Woods_Pierce.jpg (681x1000, 201K)

Also has a replica of Blackfriar's Playhouse

Attached: 9300-media-theater-800x400.jpg (800x400, 89K)

Any burgeranon on lit living in Providence? Is it livable? how is it? HPL forever infected me with stupid idea to go and see that town, it's looks really unique for my europoor eyes.

Attached: 1555486089903.jpg (480x480, 43K)

Damn, I was just about to post this. One of the comfiest places I've ever been.

Attached: staunton-va-sunrise.jpg (1200x645, 137K)

are slaves included with this property?

I've traveled pretty extensively. Picturesque towns DO exist, but you need money to live there, a lot of money. There's usually no jobs and rent is still city-level expensive. Not sharing with you, though.
I will agree that most of burgerstan looks like OP pic due to cage culture. Remember your frie/n/ds tried to save you from this fate. We could have been a new Europe--instead you get stripmalls and 5 lane mini-highways every 10 streets. Enjoy your shithole! Your only options are now shuffling from your slavehovel to your wageslave-cube to the shopping mall, all crammed into a fucking cage that sucks your money right out of your pocket. This is the future you chose.
fuck boomers.

It's a hidden gem, has a decent job market with the surrounding towns and rent isn't entirely unreasonable. It isn't too tourist infested like other picturesque towns.

>a minor teaching post at a small high school will be easy.

a private high school should be the aim

that should be used as a cover for absalom, absalom

the picturesque towns are in the deep south

Attached: 280px-Black_belt_counties.png (280x182, 56K)

I remember visiting Faulkner's house in oxford ms

Attached: mur'ka.png (294x300, 198K)

I don't think OP looked more than 50 miles from whatever ugly metropolis he lives in before giving up

Attached: CCCTB_2.jpg (1200x800, 866K)

USA is Soviet Union.

Rhode Island is a terrible place to live, and Providence is the worst city I've ever been too. Don't get scammed by HPL. Even his grave is shitty because it's constantly flocked too by mallgoth fags.

ny has the Adirondacks, Great Lakes, finger lakes, and Long Island

Ever seen Williamsburg? no not the faggy Brooklyn Williamsburg but the one in Virginia near old James town. I've been there with my family and its small but not to small and pretty quiet.

Attached: Williamsburg.jpg (1300x960, 404K)

There’s this one town I remember seeing in Colorado that’s surrounded by hills and mountains. It’s a skiing town and it’s absolutely beautiful since most of the people there are tourists

Probably Vail or Steamboat Springs

Attached: images (5).jpg (273x185, 10K)

Damn that almost looks like Europe

Psst everywhere is shit once you look past the oil painting

>Long island

>no glass towers
seems to good to be true.

IDK m8, I'm from Hartford and Providence seems pretty nice in comparison.

California and new york are two of the physically biggest states in the country, no excuse. It takes longe to drive from malone to buffalo, skipping the entirety of the sprawl south of albany, than it does to drive from buffalo or malone to NYC. New York and California should both be split into north/south states. Everyone in northern CA or NY wishes the southern city roaches would drop dead or get nuked, and the feeling is mutual. The only reason it won't happen is because it the electoral college of NY and CA got split the democrats would never have another president again. It's bullshit.

Op is right it is impossible to write in America. He’s definitely not a crazy faggot thats for sure.

To be fair I was non native (Texan) and my visitation to "big northern cities" is pretty much Boston, NYC, and Province.

I tried to stay away from providence as much as possible, but I lived in Bristol so that was easy.

portsmouth, nh

Attached: B7322820-537F-4AEA-B68B-CF9C083806FC.jpg (1920x1080, 674K)

Pure cancer. Maine/northern NY/Western Mountains or bust.

i grew up in providence near where HPL did and go back a lot. v nice place

Move to Puerto Rico

>portsmouth, nh
>portland, me
>concord, nh
>providence, ri
>newport, ri
>richmond, va
>charleston, sc
>savannah, ga
>new orleans, la
>princeton, nj
etc. etc.

coziest place in the country is buzzards bay if you want to write a novel or one of the mass. islands/maine coast in winter

forgot to mention jamestown, ri

Good list; not sure if I'd put New Orleans on the list, but I've never been. You could make an argument for San Antonio too. The river walk is beautiful.
Also, Sedona, AZ

NOLA is great. It feels like a pirate cove. It also has very strong french vibes. I used to go there once a year when I was an expat; great croissants.

other than the scenery that looks absolutely disgusting to my European eyes

PIctures like this trigger an Uncle Ted-like response in me.

Too many negroes and college students and tourists in the downtown area. Have spent a lot of time there.

I'm going to second rural/semi-rural California, it has always been the best part especially Chico, Eureka, Ukiah, and most towns on the back side of the Sierra Nevadas.

If I can just ask one thing though, is that you bring something to to the table for the community itself. A lot of our rural communities have been hurting economically for a long time. Compound this with the fact that a lot of these towns have suffered from extensive wildfires. Make sure to not treat communities like a backdrop for inspiration. Be a part of things and help the community grow. Us urban Californians haven't always done right by them, but we know rural California deserves better than to be an accessory.

Attached: 580x360-downtown.jpg (580x360, 69K)

New Orleans would be a great and seedy place to write a novel and get fat as fuck drinking daqs all day. Wish i was in the big easy right now, damn.

Thanks for the info, I should probably go sometime. It worked for Tennessee Williams.

based burger

pure recreation

>these pictures
Sorry, Murricans. You've got some purty scenery no doubt but even the nicer streets and buildings come off as an attempt to look like Europe on the cheap.

have sex

I'm sure there are starbucks located close enough to your parents basement that you could work at, wagie :)

I lived in Charleston, SC for 4 years, and I wouldn't really recommend it. The area has a massive problem right now with infrastructure. Driving at certain times of the day can be an absolute nightmare. There's also a huge drug/human trafficking problem. It's really not as nice as you would think.

The city itself looks nice and has a lot of great restaurants, but you could do better

Fuck off carpetbagger, we're full.

The trouble with America is mass democracy and the culture it generates. We should unironically forbid most people from participating in elections. Bring back property requirements and raise the voting age to 30.

there are "picturesque towns" but most of them feel artificial and are for tourists. Although I think that's the whole country these days. modern architecture is utterly repugnant.

New England, where I'm from, has some nice places but the people are quite insufferable. pic related, for example, is from where I grew up in CT. Now that I'm an adult, the cost of living and lack of industry ruins it for me.

Attached: RidgefieldHistoricalSociety.jpg.jpg (1280x960, 308K)

>all these yuros thinking we give a hoot about their opinions

precisely correct. Connecticut is exactly like this, except if you go more west in which case it becomes more of a shithole.

Sheltered kid confirmed

most are expensive as fuck and just have boomers waiting 'round to die.

New Orleans is a treasure but it fucking reeks.

ever been to Nantucket? Beautiful coastline too.

Attached: nantucket-cobblestone.jpg (1200x843, 507K)

yeah, living in wealthy commuter towns is quite sheltering. but it's not as perfect as it sounds, still privileged though. a lot of kids I grew up with didn't end up well, some are in prison.

Three used bookstores downtown (pop. 25,000) and 35 mins from Charlottesville.

Rich people who are still stuck in 1996

i'd rather live there than in pic related

Attached: 06ed37ba-a4c2-4425-b488-1d66967e4f52.jpg (1280x910, 554K)

so fucking expensive

>Richmond VA
Absolutely not, anything outside of the Fan is a nightmare. There are tons of junkies, drunk college students, and strung-out homeless, and one of my friends had a corpse dumped in front of his house. Everyone I know who moved there is desperate to leave.
I guess too many people heard it was nice. I went years ago and liked it, that's a shame.

Soul crushing. Reducing people and lives to nothing but statistics and averages.

Savannah is fucking dangerous, man

Anywhere but rural around small "city" is shit tier.

I hate Europeans.

I hope you never bring your grumbling spirit near my peaceful neighborhood. The people here help keep it sacred and serene, it's infectious. A perfect example of utopia, where humble whites suffer not the toxicity of outsiders. The roaches and rats fly to the money in the city, meanwhile the rest remain untainted and can be considered family.

Where in South America?

Bolivia has the loliest girls if that's your question

kek

>except for cali and ny maybe
Kek, an actually retarded post. NY and CA are both beautiful once you move into a rural area

fuck off spic

just go to maine or vermont you dumb fuck

Yeah dude but art school hoes. ART SCHOOL HOES.

eat gyros

Harper's Ferry, West Virginia is the most picturesque town I've ever seen. It's gorgeous and atmospheric, perfect place for a writer.

Overrated chubby, smelly twats with drug addictions and too many tattoos. I guess I see your point

>wilde's dublin, mozart's vienna
so towns that used to be picturesque but are shitholes now.

Yeah I went to Charleston and Mrytle Beach when I was younger since I had family that lived there, and it was a lot nicer. I was disappointed when I actually moved there over a decade later. The population exploded rapidly over the past few years, and a lot of problems came with that

>check your privelage and we'll provide a masseuse of color so you can help minority communities earn money

what about all the tourists going to colonial Williamsburg?

yurop used to be nice, but all the cities have horrible problems because they were built before cars and any smaller towns are either tourist staps or shitty enough that even tourists won't go to them.

then the only people who could vote would be boomers or older millennials in the endless suburbs

Attached: male.feminist.wokeness.gif (740x250, 118K)

Colonial Williamsburg and downtown are cute, but the tourists do get annoying in the summer. It does have the bonus of not being too far from the beach though, and William and Mary is beautiful. Public transport is good for a town that size, but there is some ugly sprawl at the edges with the outlet mall. It's very comfy if you go through the colonial section at sunrise because there aren't any tourists. The job market is alright, and the cost of living isn't too bad. It's not cheap but not ridiculous.

If you need beautiful surroundings in order to invoke the muse then you'll never become a great writer.

The beauty must come from within you.

This is pretty true. All the really successful people in the industry or the ones I've met anyways treat it like a craft on par with plumbing or whatever. Very little precious frou frou romanticism. Looking at pretty shit doesn't hurt tho

>Looking at pretty shit doesn't hurt tho
Neither does looking at ugly shit - or finding beauty or ugliness in the mundane.

WVbro here. Can confirm.

Pleb, living in a box apartment in a brutalist hive-tower is peak comfy

>le ebin brutalism xd
cringe

Years of watching 80s coming-of-age films from the US has conditioned my Yuropeen brain to feel a sense of odd transplant nostalgia for places like this. I could easily live and die in these towns. How much would it cost to live in one of them?

I just like concrete friend, no need to employ your gay Reddit cynicism

Damn, never thought I'd see my hometown on here. OP look into Appalachian foothills for cozy Americana small towns

Car culture and suburban sprawl are a defense mechanism against dumb, violent shitskins because the government started imprisoning people for lynching them or shooting them. Make America White Again and you'll see a huge spike in comfy small cities and towns.

Northern Virginia is a fucking shithole, but everything south of has those picturesque towns that you described. There is nothing like driving on wooded backroads, or admiring the scenery and reading a book on the porch of a quaint teahouse in a village of roughly 300 people.

CA should be split by east and west. I don't like the idea of libs get 3 free electoral votes.

To add to this, I was born and raised in Warrenton. It wasn't quite of a picturesque town then, but it did have it's scenery. I remember playing in the woods and the creek behind our house, but now those woods are gone, and I can clearly see the house where they once stood with only a few trees between them. I remember there were no discernible landmarks in Gainesville except for a steal mill, and it's gone and have been replaced with a Target, a Best Buy, a movie theater, a Cabellas, and gentrified upscale strip malls containing nothing but upscale and "hip" bougie restaurants. Marshall and The Plains are still intact, and Culpeper and Rappahannock are still untouched too. But it's very disheartening to visit the town of your birth, and see that it has been overridden by Starbucks, Walmart, Home Depot, and sports bars.

go somewhere like paradise, ca
grass valley or something

Buy-in can be quite affordable - sustaining an income in the immediate area can be the crux.

Paradise is/was basically a trailer park

Not him but please kys. Why do the rest of us have to be assaulted by a masochistic concrete fetish

also the best cocaine

if you opt to spend a year of your life busting ass in some oil field (assuming you're first world), you can but away enough money to live comfortably for the rest of your life in a small Bolivian townhouse, tending a small garden of delicious fruit, teaching delicious loli's the wonders of Anglo-American literature for four hours a day, and spending your weekends writing under the wonderful influence of coca-wine (endorsed by Pope Leo XIII, Pope Pius X, Thomas Edison, Ulysses S. Grant, and Émile Zola among other notable people).

Or you can spend your life floundering in mediocrity, chasing the prepackaged "writers life" in New York on San Fransisco while working 12 hours just to make ends meet.

Attached: e14204ap_fifth_graders_PukaPuka_rgb_0.jpg (1200x817, 312K)

that sounds too good to be true, lol

Motherfucker just poke around anywhere with cool weather and a white population and you'll find one in no time. Rural New England, the Rockies, the Cascades, the great lakes...

>New york has the biggest state park
the sheer cope

Aside from New England there are lots of beautiful places in the the Driftless Area, which is an underrated region of the country. Though I suppose that's a good thing. Wouldn't want its beauty to be spoiled.

No, poverty, fast food, and Walmart are in the deep south.

This is hands down the saddest post I have seen in a awhile.

I feel sorry for the poor Americans patriots who have to attempt desperately to defend their country and its image when this stuff exists.

>New Orleans
That is hands down one of the worst places to be, I remember visiting once, ONCE, it took three hours to find a parking space in that hell hole, once I went around looking for a restaurant and to get a feel for the city a massive parade full of niggers cut my street in half and I was for the first time in my life an absolute minority, the restaurant sucked and the hotel I stayed at (some cool interior design, not a chain) was blasted by music from the neighbors. It is full to the brim with shit, I can't believe you have it on a list of any sort.

Believe it or not but a friend of a friend had a corpse outside his house, he's from Las Vegas. I swear Americans have the craziest lives.

This. This is a constant problem there, I've been cross-country twice and this is burned into my mind and unfortunately my eyes as well.

>his muse needs conditions!
If you've never suddenly woke up at 4am frantically searching for pen and paper before the muse leaves you, You're not meant to be a writer.

You are If possible more annoying than the butterfly. Please drink an healthy glass of unrefined oil and die the most american death possible.

Argentina and Chile have the best art hoes. If you manage to teach in a Cath bilingual school, you are set for life.
For example, Champagnat in Buenos Aires City, or Lincoln Institute in San Isidro.