Do you miss animated movies with villains?

Do you miss animated movies with villains?

Attached: 9F6560E6-06F2-4778-ABB9-354EBEC48268.jpg (828x1042, 324.16K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/4KD--kw3Uys
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I think Coco was the last Disney/Pixar movie that had it.

Is Sonic 2 close enough to count?

And her Mother was what?

I feel like Encanto is sorta being sneaky. The way the fandom talks or theorizes about Abuela makes her out to be the most batshit insane abuser possible and I think that’s intentional because they knew fans would project her onto their own disapproving parents.

It's Disney related, so no.

Antagonist. Not every antagonist is a villain.

Yeah. I rewatched Aladdin a couple days back because of Gilbert Gottfried’s death. Yes, the genie has the most standout animation, but they clearly had a lot of fun with Jafar. Villains get to be so exaggerated.

Hercules is the best example, Hades didn’t even fucking have a song and still took the show.

I missed it, yeah. But not because the villain itself but because they usually tried to make something different with the movies. A good villain made you feel like something important was actually happening, then the movies became too safe for the public and now there is no feel of urgency or danger. It is like nothing actually happens in animated movies anymore.

James Wood liked voicing him so much, he has been trying to voice him any time that Disney asks him to.

>Different kind of movie has different type of plot and characters
>OMG IT'S THE POST-X ERA OF FILMMAKING! NO MORE X EVER!!!!!

Imagine being this stunningly unimaginative. Apparently gender is infinite but film plots are binary.

Attached: Delthis-Flintstone.jpg (352x352, 26.67K)

And even he was a fucking twist villian.
I just want to see an animated movie with an unabashed villian that loves being fucking evil and has no complex past or sympathetic aspects.

Attached: 1643938183118.png (1280x640, 1.59M)

That's how humans work. You'd be surprised how shallow we are at many things except for the thing we personally care about.

Both of these are 2d, though. Have the 3d movies done anything as good? Goethel? The guy from Coco? Neither sported particularly unique animation compared to other characters.

Can't stand James Woods but I kneel before his performance in Hercules. He was pretty funny in Family Guy, too

Kinda yeah. I don't think having a character who's an antagonist who's not a villain isn't a bad thing, but I do miss the flair and drama they bring.

>Can't stand James Woods
Do I even wanna know why?

>the plot is the main character whining and causing all their own problems
Yes, I miss when animated movies weren't about the art students who make them.

Attached: 1484591432148.png (307x406, 127.98K)

Both Turning Red and Encanto have villains.
They're just the main characters now.

Wait why did I think Hades was Howard Stern??

Seriously though, a little girl that turns into a red panda would make for a pretty unique villain.

If your movie has songs and no villainous reprise the entire thing needs to be trashed.

I’d argue Goethel was the last time we had a good villain. But she doesn’t live up to the previous ones.
It’s also not just how entertaining they are on screen that’s the problem. It’s their presence within the plot.
Hans, for instance, is really a unique case. He was never intended to be the villain. He was never even intended to exist and it shows. He has very little influence on anything. You could remove him and the movie would still happen more or less the same.
That’s the biggest mark of a bad villain
There’s a saying about this stuff in pro wrestling.
“The head is who we root for but the heel is why we see the show”
Nu Disney villains have an issue where they aren’t a proper test of the heroes. They aren’t causing any twists or turns in the plot, and they aren’t driving the plot in the ways a villain should.

Yeah, well? Go out of your way to not be so damn shallow. Take at least a little extra effort wherever you can.

This. I'd like to see a villain who is evil just for the sake of being evil.

Does it really take 4 "people" to write shit like this?

My guess is that its because he's a bigtime Qanon sucker on twitter.

This is the weirdest fucking part to me. Especially when you look at the fandoms these movies get
I’m not gonna say it’s like the Disney chick version of guys who relate to Taxi Driver, but it’s like the fucking Disney Chick version of guys who relate to Catcher in the Rye.

Nothing interesting, he's just a raging douche that's got great comedic chops. i.e. Charlie Sheen
That's a good question, user

>And that isn't a bad thing

How to instantly tell that this is a bad thing.

The last villain in a Disney movie was Dr. Facilier or Rapunzels mom.
I can’t remember any recent Disney flick in the last decade having an iconic antagonist like they did in the classics since majority of them were always FUCKING TWIST VILLIANS

Attached: 71DEFCF7-C099-46D5-B6DE-8B327E353344.jpg (963x481, 75.42K)

>Disney has always been shit at making villains
>first, they were blatant as sin
>then, they were "twist" villains
>now, they just gave up
Is this what "reimagining tomorrow" is gonna look like? 'Cause now I just want the Destroyer to come sooner.

Maybe they should go the pony show route and have villains be redeemed at the end.

Eh, if you have to hate Hollywood types just because they believe in stupid shit, you'd have to hate all of them.

IRL there are no villains.
Except for republicans.

>Except for republicans.
And Russians.
And free speech advocates.

>Except for republicans
The current state of the US proves that was a lie.

Dr. Facilier is a fairly poor villain, but that's due to the weird structure of PatF rather than issues with how he's written.

I like my one-dimensional, just evil for the sake of being evil villains. I also like my multi-dimensional villains with complex backstories and some who get arcs and become good. What's wrong with having a villain in a story? What's wrong with having someone be the bad guy?

You know a very depressing thought occurred to me recently. We will never get another Incredibles ever again. We will never get another Wall-E ever again. We will never get another Monsters Inc. again. And so on and so on. It's unironically over, all we have to look forward to now are toothless dramas with some cartoon twist for the kids.

Dr Facilier is a good villain, but because of the poor reception of PoTF, he is often forgotten.

>IRL there are no villains.
>Criminals, karens, corrupt politicians, etc. don't exist.
Bruh

I could tell by how it's caused Kingdom Hearts' Disney boss selection to suffer. It's been pathetic after KH2, and a lot of them can't even put up much of a fight, so they get replaced with Heartless or whichever other enemy type is necessary per game. Granted, Mother Gothel actually becoming a Heartless instead of just attracting/controlling one was a pleasant surprise, but the one modern boss that had the most potential (Cy-Bug King Candy) got dumped into an out-of-service mobile game.
No wonder KH4's moving on to Star Wars.

>make actual villain character that does legitmate evil stuff
>movie gets cancelled because villain character offends the normies

Yes, but we're only in a post villain era because the only villains that can work nowadays are rich and wealthy assholes and studios don't want kids getting ideas

Dude, King Candy from Wreck-It Ralph? His villainy isn't a twist, since we know he's a bad guy from the start. A petty jerk, maybe, but we can tell his "well-intentioned" shtick isn't as sincere as it seems. Instead, the twist is the actual scope and depth of his villainy being far greater than he lets on.

Yeah the villains were always my favourite part of animated movies so for me they feel kinda empty without them. Honestly I don’t even bother watching most Disney stuff these days anyway.

I can kind of hear it.
youtu.be/4KD--kw3Uys

I'll say it again: King Candy. Not just because of how funny yet insidious he is, and how damn good of a job he convinces Ralph (and nearly us) that he means well, but also that his actions before the movie hang over all the characters' heads from the very first scene. The way he went rogue creates extra pressure for Ralph to prove he's not like him, creates an extra sense of urgency for the situation the arcade is in, and he already ruined Vanellope's life from the start. Not to mention his true identity (while you could probably still see it coming if you're savvy enough) is up there beneath Judge Doom in terms of big villain identity reveals.

I don't mind the magical-slice-of-life stuff but its hit or miss for me. Probably better to teach kids relationship advice rather than classic disney films. But I love the old 2d villains. The songs are better. The aesthetics are better. Anons please invent more classic disney villains. What's the roster missing?

UGLY

Antagonist yes, villain no, then lol he was turbo all along what a twist!

On one hand, having a conflict that's not plain good vs. evil is refreshing once in a while.
On the other hand, non-villainous antagonists (what do you even call them?) are pretty much always completely inferior to actual villains, because their conflict always stems from stupidity as opposed to desire, and so they're almost always frustrating and not nearly as fun to watch.

People will always love bad guys.

Attached: 1648419771175.jpg (2000x838, 92.47K)

Easier said than done.

any article that makes declarative statements like "that's not a bad thing" or "and that's a good thing" are always trash. its like some sort of dumbed down Ministry of Truth propaganda.

I just had this fact checked and they said that while, yes, it is like the ministry of truth they assured me that’s a good thing.

Honestly I have to give it a few years in order to say for sure. I don't want to automatically assume we'll never get another movie with an outright villain, even given the generation of millennials helming movies seem to only care about interpersonal relationships.

I certainly will miss villains if this current trend doesn't pick up some nuance along the way. Having the climax of the movie boil down to

>Why are you so mean?!
>Because life was mean to me!
>Oh shit, we're frens now/family again!

is getting old. Kind of defeats the purpose of including nuanced themes in the first place.

hot as fuck

Attached: Untitled2.png (640x468, 544.81K)

Kingdom Hearts didn't even have the balls to truly punish its main villain lol

Loved Silco, man. Probably one of the few times I've seen western cartoons actually pull off a morally gray/had a point villain/antagonist

You got Scoob, you'd better like it

Attached: Scoob!_Dick_Dastardly_Official_Model.png (802x1536, 729.81K)

oh ok. time for some victory gin.

El Machete was the real villain the whole time!